• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 7, 2019

    Big N Discussion - April 07, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Big N Discussion - April 07, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Big N Discussion - April 07, 2019

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big N and questions related to the Big N, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big N really? Posts focusing solely on Big N created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    There is a top-level comment for each generally recognized Big N company; please post under the appropriate one. There's also an "Other" option for flexibility's sake, if you want to discuss a company here that you feel is sufficiently Big N-like (e.g. Uber, Airbnb, Dropbox, etc.).

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big N Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 07, 2019

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Imposter syndrome and fear of getting fired from first job out of school

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 03:12 PM PDT

    I have been working full time for a while now. I have been super worried about getting work done/getting fired/ imposter syndrome and the fear of not being able to match other teammates ability to work and grasp things quickly. I have been super stressed everyday.

    What do I do?

    submitted by /u/cric101
    [link] [comments]

    Worried about future

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 06:11 AM PDT

    I've been reading some threads here where people have mentioned that companies don't like hiring older people because they're less likely to be duped into working ridiculous hours and they have family commitments. Heck, there was even a manager on here who said he was told not to hire anyone who looks over 30 and then there's the famous Zuckerberg quote that said young people are smarter.

    Other's have said that the elders who cannot find work are in that situation because they grew complacent in their previous jobs and they didn't stay up to date with technology or they had an unwillingness to learn. However, there have also been people who said that these elder people cannot find work because recruiters were worried they wouldn't be able to pick up things like Angular and React since their CV is full of vb6, c and delphi (which is bs ofc).

    What's the truth?

    I love programming and if I lived in my ideal world I'd do this job till I was 60 but I don't want to be in a situation when I'm 40 and I can't get a job because of my age. I mean there's loads of doctors and surgeons in their late 60s but I've never once seen an SWE older than 45.

    Other people have said that ageism isn't as bad if you make a switch into technical management or into software architecture. Not sure if this is true either. Honestly, this has got me worried to the point that I'm thinking if I should make a complete 360 degree turn into an entirely different field.

    Please give me some truth :)

    submitted by /u/rickross234
    [link] [comments]

    People who have been working for +10 years: Do you truly believe that the career was worth it?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 05:44 PM PDT

    Hello everyone.

    I've been working as a software dev. for a year now, and I've landed a great job where I'm able to work with all the technologies I like in big projects (and with big responsibilities). At the same time, I was working on a degree in CS.

    The past week, I decided I was done with it. Before telling you my reasons, I'd like to highlight something: My goal is to know YOUR experience and your opinions about a degree being worth it. On second place, I'd like to ask you your opinion on my decision.

    • I don't like taking classes until 11 PM and waking up at 8 AM to get to my job.
    • I live in a country where you don't need a degree to work in CS (Argentina) and I know a lot of developers who work remote for foreign companies without having a degree.
    • I don't wanna live abroad.
    • I highlighted the courses I was interested in, and there were only a few of them. I can take only the courses I'm interested in.
    • I spend every second I'm in my home working on courses or books, and side projects. I think I can read the books of the courses considered important (but that I don't like to take)

    Do you think you could have get better results investing time on your own? What courses do you think are worth it? Do you think a degree not related to CS would have been more productive in the long run? (For example, if you have your own company)

    submitted by /u/LCay26
    [link] [comments]

    Why is what this Reddit tells me completely different from my personal experience?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 05:51 PM PDT

    Is 99% of the advice on here geared towards people in Silicon Valley? The majority of my interviews have been asking about my personal experience and some basic high-level technical questions. Where can I find these companies that just ask you leetcode and don't care about how enthusiastic you sound?

    submitted by /u/questiondoggo
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody intern at Atlassian?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 02:19 PM PDT

    I just took Atlassians coding challenge on HackerRank and I had previously heard that the questions were similar to LeetCode easy/medium. In all honesty, I'd say that they were closer to Medium/Hard on LeetCode; not because of the difficulty I had solving them, but legitimately how I'd compare them to LeetCode challenges. I was able to solve the first question, which I believe was easy/medium level. It was a basic dynamic programming question. The next was a graph path question that didn't give you a graph to work with, but 3 lists, which I found rather annoying.

    Anyways, for the people who have interned there, how many of the problems did you solve? I'm not expecting to get to the next round because I only solved one question.

    submitted by /u/apptryer
    [link] [comments]

    When do I tell my coworkers I got a new job?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    I've been working at my current company for six months. I recently got an offer somewhere else and I set the start date to be about six months later in September. I have a couple of questions here.

    1. When do I tell them about the new job? My intuition and research tells me I definitely shouldn't tell them anytime soon but instead wait till two or three weeks prior. Is that correct?

    2. I have a feeling they will ask me when I got the job and the recruiting process. Let's say it's september and they ask me that, do I tell them I got the job six months prior or do I give a white like and say I just now got it? I feel like they might feel betrayed if I tell them I've been keeping this secret for six months.

    3. Do I tell them where I'm going? I'm excited to share the good news when the time comes but I've also read stories of coworkers sabatoging someone when they say where they're going to next. I'm in good terms with all my coworkers but maybe someone is secretly jealous and wants to ruin me by giving some anonoymous feedback. So if I did decide to not tell them where I'm going, how exactly do I frame that? It'd be easy if we all gave each other the cold shoulder everyday. I'd just say "I'd rather not say." But since I'm friendly with them and I'd like to keep it that way even after I leave, I'm kind of at a loss of how to respond.

    4. I know one or two of my coworkers will ask how much they're gonna pay me. Should I tell them this or no? I have a feeling it won't benefit me to tell them.

    submitted by /u/Heycookiecookie
    [link] [comments]

    Biology & CS Major trying to become a Software Engineer

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 06:39 PM PDT

    About my background:

    I graduated last year with CS and Bio major with Chemistry minor. I have been working at a global biotech company as an Associate Bioinformatics Engineer for 9 months. I have intermediate knowledge in Java and Python. I self-taught myself SQL, HTML, CSS and JavaScript (basic knowledge as its been awhile using it). I also learned how to use linux and can write a simple bash script.

    My contract ended recently and now I am unemployed. Looking back, I really enjoyed writing a code especially when I participated in the Hackathon project where I built a new LIMS feature for the company. I am seriously starting to think that I want to become a software engineer. I wish my job involved more coding...

    While I am looking for a new job, I am starting to learn all the codes I self-taught myself and trying to improve my knowledge in them as I am very passionate about it. However, I am still little bit confused about how to set my goals to becoming a successful software engineer. Should I focus on solidifying my knowledge in different languages or should I focus more on job interview such as Data structure? Also, how did you set up your goal to become a software engineer? Did you also study by yourself or did you go to a coding bootcamp?

    Any insight would be very helpful ;)

    submitted by /u/codingguru
    [link] [comments]

    Should you be honest in your exit discussion?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    I'll be quitting my job soon, there is a multitude of reasons, but mostly management just cannot get their f'n s*&* together. No matter how much the team tells them what is wrong, they say they will fix it only to just totally utterly disappoint us.

    My value is very high in the organization. I'm in charge of a lot of niche things and when I leave, they really are gonna feel it - it won't be realized until I leave as they don't know my value. It is hard to find replacements for the crap outdated niche tech they have/use.

    They will have an exit intervew with me, as they always do with people. There is an emotional part of me that wants to tear there asshole open as a last F you. Obviously I would never do that, but how honest should I be?

    There is no benefit to me if they get it together or not. I know LOTS of people are preparing to leave and the place will crumble and become chaos. I have trouble not being honest and it will be written all over my face. But I feel I should just bite my lip and say "Things are great here, but I've just felt I need to grow into a new position." etc. etc, some bullshit evasive response.

    What are your guys' thoughts and experiences?

    submitted by /u/LeadFootSaunders
    [link] [comments]

    Career switch: Healthcare to web developer

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 05:34 AM PDT

    I have a longterm goal of switching to web development or database programming (something like that) . I want some advice about the best way to get there for the least amount of money. Perhaps some career ideas. I would prefer to work from home. I'm ok taking a pay cut.

    Current education: doctor of pharmacy, bs biology, two post graduate residencies: general hospital practice and pharmacy informatics. All GPAs around 3.9 or greater.

    Current job: pharmacy manager of computer systems at large hospital system

    Why switching? I don't like my job. I don't like pharmacy. I'm only in the field until I get my student loans forgiven. This will take around 10 years in total, so there's no rush unless I could realistically get a job for a non-profit making decent money.

    History: I started playing with computers and programming at around age 10. I'm mostly self taught (visual basic, c++). I never got really advanced, however. More recently I taught myself Javascript which I enjoy, I've been working on some apps using phonegap, and I do some CCL programming at work (this is an EHR rip-off of SQL). I'm fast at picking anything up. I'm probably weakest at really advanced math because I never took any of the classes being a Healthcare major but I am in general math-minded.

    What do I like? I like making apps, websites, creating web based tools with Javascript, creating reports using a SQL-like language, working with data sets. I can do this stuff all day long and I really enjoy it.

    Other: I'm working on starting my own online business selling primarily information and using affiliate marketing. I like anything that improves my ability to do this. Creating apps, web tools, database stuff through a website, etc. I'm only a novice in that area though.

    I would consider other CS-like careers as well. I'm just worried about having to get another BS or masters degree. I do not want any major debt.

    I'd love some feedback.

    submitted by /u/RiderForge
    [link] [comments]

    Rounding GPA

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 12:36 PM PDT

    Really simple question. I have a 3.49 GPA. Can I round that to 3.5 when applying for internships or is that looked down upon? Will they get angry after seeing my transcript and seeing the 3.49 instead of a 3.5

    submitted by /u/TheRaptorsAreFrauds
    [link] [comments]

    What's it like to be a software engineer in Austin, Texas?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 09:09 AM PDT

    I'm planning on moving to Austin because I love the food, weather, and the people?

    How do you guys like being an engineer in Austin? I know people say the job market is great but I'd love to get opinions of people who are there.

    What would you say is the average salary senior engineers like 4-10 years base and TC? I'm looking for 120 -150k base at a tech company.( I'm full stack , java, c#, angular , (learning react now) have 4 years experience)

    What's the work life balance like? Would love to know what I could be getting myself into.

    submitted by /u/chimanwa
    [link] [comments]

    Uncertain about CS future after a Break

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 04:43 PM PDT

    My question to you guys and specifically those with more life experience is,

    a) do I pucker up, change my attitude, and push forward in this field and attempt to find a place within it (I was thinking app development as you get to build something that people use directly)

    b) do I do something CS related that is NOT engineering or development

    c) OR do I totally jump ship and try a new field out

    Right now I feel a little confused and uncertain about my future and wanted people to bounce ideas off of. Some background information, I graduated in 2016 with a cs degree and was able to get a good software engineering job after college, specifically a service engineer position. I quit a little after a year and half after starting.

    First things first. I had a ton of fun working as a software engineer, I worked with awesome people and learned a ton. I was also given new projects to work on every couple months, and for me the best parts was when I was programming or learning new things, I felt like I was in the zone, and it was awesome. But then I started to feel a little bored, almost desperate in what I was doing. After a year it felt like my spark just went out, I would wake up, go to work, write code, write tests, do code reviews, fix bugs, etc..., go home, relax, spend time outdoors, then go to bed. I thought it was just a phase, the kind that everyone gets at some point or another. I pushed through it for a couple more months. There was one day where I thought I'd rather blow my brains out, and that's when I decided to quit.

    I quit, and moved back with family to sort things out, after that I just started to do my thing from then on. I spend time with family, a ton of time with my dog (PUG! pugs are awesome!), I run, spend time outdoors, and its been extremely refreshing. I'll also still code for fun and enjoy it a ton when its intermittent, specifically game development. I think its awesome, it lets me be creative and at the same time it something that another person can play and experience, so there's that part of it that's pretty cool.

    At this point its been nearly half a year since I quit and I thought it high time to get back into the job force. Its been a lumpy road since then. I'll apply to a bunch of places and tell them the truth, that I felt like this, and that I just wanted a break, obviously it makes it harder for me but its the truth. You kind of get numb to rejection and peoples shit after a while but nonetheless its made me doubt my place in the cs field. By no means am I the best, but I do believe I have good skills, and more importantly the drive to learn things that I don't.

    submitted by /u/rudaloo
    [link] [comments]

    is it worth negotiating an intern salary?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 10:37 AM PDT

    I have my final interview tomorrow for this company, and after searching a bit online on Glassdoor, it seems that the location I would be working for would be offering an average salary of $18/hr ... which is pretty low imo especially for a software developer internship position.

    They are asking that if hired I work 40 hrs a week during the summer and ~15 hours a week during the school year, so this wouldn't be just a 2-3 month internship. Would I be in the wrong to try and negotiate the salary if they do end up offering below $20 ? I'm a female with above average academics as a sophomore double major in electrical engineering and cs if that's of any use lol

    submitted by /u/nahnoi
    [link] [comments]

    (New Grad) (Help) Georgia Tech Masters in Computer Science or Data Analytics

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 12:47 PM PDT

    Hi, I am a new Bachelors in Computer Science graduate and was thinking of joining Georgia Tech's Online Masters program for Data Analytics or Computer Science. My question is which would be better for future career advancement. I am interested in both Data Science and Software Development but my first preference is software development. Also, if choosing one of those streams, which substream would be better. If anyone has done the program your insights would be great as well. Thanks for reading and I appreciate your responses.

    1)One additional question Im having is I know it's possible to get jobs in Computer Science without a masters program, so would it be better to go with a master's in data analytics to possibly break into that field.

    2) Im interested in Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning but haven't gone deep into it. I might want to go in that direction in the future.

    3) I previously posted this in the daily chat thread and the advice was to work 2 years and 2 years of experience would be better. I am applying to jobs,practicing interview questions and working on that front but I would like to do the masters while i have the time.

    TL:DR; Data Analytics or Computer Science Masters Georgia Tech, Which better career wise, why?(along with substream). Any input would be appreciated Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Jobseeker12345678
    [link] [comments]

    Insights on Nuance Communications?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 04:15 PM PDT

    Does anyone have any insights about Nuance and it's internship program? I'm looking in to joining them as a software development interm

    submitted by /u/seap1200
    [link] [comments]

    How to tame sporadic Team Lead

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 02:03 PM PDT

    My team lead is usually a bit 'random' but recently it's been detrimental to our work. In short we try to give him progress reports, but he doesn't remember and work gets done twice. Or he'll ask for something to be done, then check in later about something else, forgetting what he asked about before.

    Us (software engineers) know the scope of our position, so we kick back certain tasks saying that we're not qualified or experienced. But with a new release around the corner, upper management is pressuring him to get things done to meet deadline(s).

    In short he's being squeezed from above and below, and isn't delegating properly to who he needs to. He's the type to try to put out fires than to see what caused it and then prevent them. Thus, he's being overwhelmed. And instead of looking at the rest of our company for those who're better equipped for a task, would rather him/us just get it done real quick.

    Question: How should I approach my team lead to let him know the follwing

    1. He can't do everything himself

    2. He needs to look around our office as a whole to see what work can be delegated

    3. Use our issue/ticket tracking system to have a written record to track problems he wants to see resolved

    submitted by /u/Asolistik
    [link] [comments]

    UNC vs Georgia Tech...

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 07:50 PM PDT

    I was admitted to UNC for CS and Georgia Tech for Aerospace Engineering but would switch to CS if I go there.

    At first I thought GT was the obvious choice due to the quality of the program and just general name recognition but then started reading about the rampant grade deflation, stress culture, widespread depression, and other lovely things people say about the school. Now, I am not so sure.

    I was wondering what people think about the differences between the two schools and if any current students from either school have any thoughts regarding job prospects, starting salaries, etc.

    submitted by /u/And0nThatBombshell
    [link] [comments]

    To get a post-bac or not?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 07:18 PM PDT

    Are post-bac students in computer science tracks eligible for traditional internships? Do companies want to hire comp.sci post-bac's? For any comp.sci post-bac - what job offers have you gotten after the program? What, if any, internships did you complete during the program?

    *post-bacs meaning a person who has already graduated from college but would like to go back for a computer science degree

    **Uni. Houston - Post-Bac in Comp. Sci.: http://www.uh.edu/nsm/computer-science/undergraduate/programs/post-bacc/

    submitted by /u/chillin-drina
    [link] [comments]

    School or Career

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 07:16 PM PDT

    Hello all, I've recently started a position at a tech company with a very very gracious starting salary for my age (21) in a very low cost of living area ($320) rent. Since starting to his position I've found myself spread a little too thin and was wondering what option y'all would choose in my situation.

    Options. 1) tough it out and try to balance the 3 (relationship, Career, school)

    2) abandon school for the moment and focus on my career and resume college at a later date.

    3) abandon work for school.

    submitted by /u/TheShyGuys
    [link] [comments]

    Would you take a paycut with less time off and work more hours to work on more exciting projects?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 09:27 AM PDT

    Hello! I would really appreciate some CS career advice from the community.

    To keep this short I'm just going to summarize My dellemma.

    I just got an offer from another company for a full time position and I need to choose if I should stay with my current job or move on.

    CURRENT JOB PROS:

    • My current job is easy and I usually only have to work about 4-5 hours a day to get my tasks done. (As long as your tasks are done, they don't track your hours)
    • I get alot of paid time off (around 20 days a year) and around 12 holidays a year.
    • I don't hate going to work in the morning
    • The company proved they want me there.

    Current JOB CONS:

    • This job doesn't push me to get better. I get frustrated with myself because I don't use my extra time to improve myself. Instead of improving as a programmer, I just go home and play games or something.
    • Boring projects

    New Job Pros:

    • Super cool projects. (Things with Hollywood, Major Corporations, Amusement Parks, etc.)
    • Not a large team, so I'm getting in on the ground floor.
    • 1 year here would look amazing on a resume.
    • I feel like this job will force me to become a better programmer.

    New Job Cons:

    • They track everything and expect you to work 8 hours every day.
    • Less paid time off. (only 17 days a year including holidays)
    • 1 hour away from house.
    • Slightly less pay. (Around $6,000 a year less)

    I currently have an emergency fund that will last me over 1 year, so money isn't that much of an issue for me at the moment.

    My question is.. What would you do?

    submitted by /u/ImScared135
    [link] [comments]

    Performance review meeting - Shall I?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 06:29 PM PDT

    6 months into my first job out of college and there's finally going to be an annual performance meeting, where in addition to one's performance, salary negotiations will be made. A few questions:

    - It's a QA position, and I haven't really had a chance to write a lot of code yet - so far it's been mainly a fixing tests, manual testing in linux, triaging milestones as well as opening JIRAS. I already my desire to get more test dev tasks and my manager said he would be happy to assign me some after a certain milestone gets released to the customer. Also, I am not sure if I plan on sticking to QA for good - it's fun as long as you are learning/using your skills be it in terms of coding/writing tests or actually figuring out the cause of the failure in a test but there are days when you're merely reporting the bug failures and creating JIRAs. Is it too early to express my desire to join a dev team (even though I am not sure if my skills align well with their requirements)?

    - I am certain my manager is content with my performance - is it too early to ask for a raise or if he asks how much are you expecting, what should I say? I'm fairly bad at responding to salary negotiation questions.

    submitted by /u/helloworld_x
    [link] [comments]

    Leave current job or keep trying for an offer in my field?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 06:21 AM PDT

    I am a fresher and recently got a job offer as QA Automation Engineer after completing an internship in the company. The company made me sign a 2 year bond. I have made projects and have knowledge in the field of Machine Learning. I am trying to get a job in ML but not able to as of now.

    My bond will start after joining on 1 june 19. What should I do? The options that I see are:

    1. Keep trying for ML jobs and leave this offer. But it is risky. Since, my university is not a big one, companies won't take my application seriously.
    2. Take this offer and keep trying for ML jobs. If I get an ML job, I'll pay the bond money and leave. (Although the bond amount is huge).
    3. Take this offer and keep on working on personal ML projects. Apply for ML/DS jobs after 2 years. (But the time).

    If you guys can give me some advice, it will really help me. I have reached that stage of job depression where I spend the entire weekend trying for jobs, not talking to anyone and having panic attacks.

    EDIT: I am from India. A bond means that I cannot leave the company before completing 2 years there. If I want to , I'll have to pay them money.

    submitted by /u/prodigalDad
    [link] [comments]

    How important is it to have a project to show employers ? (Android)

    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 06:08 PM PDT

    I just cannot seem to find an idea that I'm passionate enough about to make an app from start to finish honestly I just want to work on something that's already been built but everyone seems to suggest it's good to have something to show off. If I were to make something only for that purpose how would I go about deciding what to include in the app to show off my skills.

    submitted by /u/JuniorImplement
    [link] [comments]

    Learning to wake up early for the good ole grind

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    I just wanted to post this here as I'm sure I can't be the only one that has gone through this before and just wanted some advice and insights from any of you that have made the transition to waking up early for the 9 to 5 shift from being a night owl (or even if your just naturally a morning person). I looked at the rules and hope I'm not breaking any, but I feel like computer scientists probably struggle with this more than most, so I feel like it's appropriate here (this is kind of a blind assumption I actually have no idea).

    So, a little back story is that I have been a night owl my whole life. For years I have stayed up until anywhere from 1am to 4am in the morning, but I still get my full eight hours of sleep, so I'm always fine during the day. This habit worked great during college as I took afternoon and night classes and then it worked this past year at my IT job because I usually had to go into work at 11am (a few exceptions here and there).

    I decided that I didn't want to do IT work anymore, so I quit and pursued software engineering (I have my degree in computer science, so I wanted this from the start, but couldn't find work). For the past 5 months, I've been unemployed and this definitely made my sleeping habits worse. During this time I was just grinding out for a job and I finally got one (yay) and I start this week. My shift is 8:30 to 4:30, so I obviously have to adjust myself to this schedule and I don't think it will be too bad after awhile (I used to have to get up at 5am for a previous job at a grocery store for a year or so), but I just would like some advice or insight on how to deal with this transition as well as how to make it work in the long term. Any morning rituals or tricks that people use to stay alert during the day of coding would be great! I am going to force myself to wake up at 7am everyday for the job obviously and it is definitely doable for me, but I just want to do it in the most comfortable/smoothest way possible, so that from the people at my job's perspective, I'm not looking like a zombie.

    As my natural state truly is a night person, I have a tendency to "relapse" and stay up all night, so I am going to have to manage whenever I do this somehow...but anyways I know the typical adult can handle getting up no problem, but it is something I admittedly struggle with. Sorry if I'm rambling around here, I am actually pretty tired right now and can't sleep lol, but that's why I decided to post this because it really is going to be a tough transition for me. Other than this specific issue, I'm pretty excited for the job and have learned a lot from other posts and such and I'm ready otherwise, so hopefully this post is worthy of a discussion because I know it's not like a real technical question or anything. Let me know your thoughts and I greatly appreciate all replies in advance! I am here to acquire your wisdom. If this isn't a good place to post this, I'll delete it. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/KeywiBeets
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment