• Breaking News

    Friday, April 26, 2019

    Beginner Questions - April 26, 2019 web developers

    Beginner Questions - April 26, 2019 web developers


    Beginner Questions - April 26, 2019

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 06:15 AM PDT

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How does the ‘Thanos’ Google Avengers Easter egg work

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 04:28 AM PDT

    If you google 'Thanos' on Google you will see Thanos Glove, click on it and you'll see google search result disappear in a neatly done animation.

    Any idea how that animation has been achieved ?

    I tried inspecting but I just notice canvas element appearing.

    It would be interesting to know how they achieved that, could it be using Lottie ?

    submitted by /u/epicpoop
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding User Authentication in your Web App and how to implement it Part 1

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 08:01 AM PDT

    The majority of my work is government contracts, and one of the most horrifying things I've discovered is that almost all small to mid-size state agencies use GoDaddy

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 11:06 AM PDT

    I do my best to help change this, but wow. Sometimes the process of trying to transfer their domain name elsewhere takes weeks of nonsense. Venting here, because I am one of the only webdevs at my work and no one else is properly horrified.

    submitted by /u/ProbabilityForPoets
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a good place to find simple & minimalist html themes/templates under 50-100kb?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 09:39 AM PDT

    I want to make a few websites but would prefer to have them use little to no js and only really the needed css. Are there any good sites that list these types of themes for free or to purchase? I am generally interested in themes that can load in less than 50-100kb total.

    To be used for blogs, news sites, directories and such.

    submitted by /u/ceopenguin
    [link] [comments]

    My motivation story for other new developers.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 11:40 PM PDT

    Hello web devs,

    I'm a 19 year old in my first year of Web dev from UK.

    Just putting this up to show new developers and aspiring developers that you can get a job after putting in the work of learning.

    I started my Web development apprenticeship in October 2018 with a small business making car dealer sites. Now usually on apprenticeships you are taught by a mentor but in my case my boss was always busy so I spent the first month getting my head behind html, css and using servers. I started to get tasked to work on some of our clients sites which was scary to begin with but I soon picked it up and its now the norm. I've been with the business for about 6 months now and sadly the business wasn't going too well. I put a post on this sub a few months ago asking for advice on my situation and what I should do. Lots of people advised I just apply for developer jobs even though I was unsure if I really had all the skills needed. I took this advice and applied to a few reachable places for me. Ended up getting an email and passing all 3 interviews and now I have a real web developer job.

    I've gone from apprentice Web developer to Full time developer in 6 months. I was supposed to be in training for another 12 months. My salary has more than doubled as I'm no longer on apprentice wage so I can enjoy life and buy a new car! I'm super excited for my job but also sad to leave the place which in turn gave me the time to learn all the development skills I needed. Today's my last day there and I just wanted to thank the sub and people that told me to be confident, trust in my ability and go for it.

    This must be what it's like to climb the job ladder haha.

    submitted by /u/You2Loud
    [link] [comments]

    I need some honest reviews about hostings

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm looking for a good hosting (I got IPAGE coz they had a really good deal for 3 years but the thing is they suck for me, same were Godaddy) anw I'm looking for a cheap hosting with fast server and a bit more storage (the reason I'm looking for cheap is the begining of my project and my budget is limited) so I started to look in google and there every site is promoting one hosting they are partner with (affilate and shit) so I tried to look in Reddit same thing just here people where suggesting their hostings, so I'm really confused and I need some help, I have a really good idea, me and my team we are spending to much time in this so I really need your help.

    Edit. is a webstore probably with woocommerece.

    submitted by /u/morecrazythanyou
    [link] [comments]

    Shepherd - Guide your users through a tour of your app (they have wrappers for angular, ember, react, and vue as well)

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 03:31 PM PDT

    [UPDATE] I'm making a drinking game app called Pause...drink! Feedback appreciated.

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 02:41 PM PDT

    URL: https://pausedrink.app/

    Purpose: It's a drinking game for all the family, well, the ones of legal drinking age.

    My last post got some incredibly helpful feedback, including many requests for language translations among other things. I'm sharing an updated version of the app which includes lots of little fixes and improvements suggested by the r/webdev community... thanks so much!

    Thanks to these awesome redditors whose translations are already in the app (more to come):

    prscribeiro

    Tajnymag

    grandriz

    mazellat

    LindaDeSnow

    mbernwieser

    MoritzHorch

    Zboru

    NunoRivera

    piatok

    MrShoopa

    Technologies Used: Built with Framework7, Apache Cordova, CreateJS, and good ol' HTML, CSS, JS.

    Feedback Requested: I'd love any general feedback on how the app works for you and if you can see any improvements. I'm also really keen to hear thoughts on whether you think I need native versions of the app, or if a PWA is enough.

    Comments: This has been a solo project on the side for a couple of years so I'm pretty excited for anyone to see it!

    Little promo video I made:

    https://reddit.com/link/az1mra/video/9dfqc9r6f1l21/player

    If you would like to help with translations please email me at [info@pausedrink.app](mailto:info@pausedrink.app) thank you!!

    I wrote an article a while back about the process of building the app for anyone interested https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/pause-drink-hybrid-app-story-philip-sole/

    And if you want to follow developments in the game please share and like my FB page https://www.facebook.com/pauseDrinkApp/

    Thank you! Reddit community rules.

    submitted by /u/aspergersx5
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for the interactive tutorial website that teaches the design steps one by one, building upon the website itself

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    Source code + live demo of a Chatroom with Google's Sentiment Analysis using AWS Serverless

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 11:36 AM PDT

    GoDaddy deliberately gave my info away after domain purchase to force me into their "privacy" plan

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 01:17 PM PDT

    Just in case someone is as stupid as I just was; a client needed a domain and GoDaddy had it for cheap so I figured "what could it hurt, she's technogically inept and we're on a deadline, I'll just buy it." I start getting 10-20 calls on my business number per day asking me to redevelop the site I just put up. I thought I had just finished with spam calls and I'm right back in it. Never buying another domain (or any service) from GoDaddy again.

    Just for comparison, I bought a domain from Domain.con a week before and didn't get a single unwanted call. Don't be me, be smart.

    submitted by /u/rhoded
    [link] [comments]

    How do you guys save your UI Components and Snippets?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    I am beginner to this, I reached the level where I am be able to create my own UI Components and Snippets to use for later, Like Headers, Dropdowns, Menus, Cards, Buttons, etc... Many of each one of them.

    How do I manage those? Is there an online tool So I can sort them by Folders and having a thumbnail for each? Or Do I just save them in my PC.

    Just curious how do you guys do it!

    submitted by /u/noobfromjo
    [link] [comments]

    My friend and I have been working on a live Twitter Sentiment Analysis for Game of Thrones characters. Anyone have any suggestions?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 12:46 PM PDT

    Google’s Web Security Researcher Krzysztof Kotowicz: Insecure Coding Is the Default

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 05:44 AM PDT

    What are your best advices on open sourcing parts of your codebase?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 12:22 PM PDT

    Hey. At our company we decided to open source some parts of our codebase and we wanna make it right. And therefore i am searching for some advices... We want to start with open sourcing small parts of the codebase for example there a re several utilities which works and enhance recompose and ramda libraries. Now, the questions is... how should be publish it? Create new repo and npm package? It would be probably ideal however, i am worried it may add a lot of additional work and maintenance with creating repositories with build commands etc. even for such short functions as 3 lines. On the other hand, creating package something like @company/recompose... and all the functions there... however, then we can endup with huge library which nobody will use... which way to use? Are there any other ways? What about monorepos and lerna...? Is it usecase for this?

    Thanks in advance..

    submitted by /u/jsifalda
    [link] [comments]

    Needing to make blog posts without going into the actual code

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 03:44 PM PDT

    If you were making a blog website coded from scratch how would you have someone be able to make a new post without having to go into the actual code and make one manually? I know you could fetch posts from sort of api or database but how would you go about doing that?

    submitted by /u/OhAnthem
    [link] [comments]

    What do you do to look professional?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 03:18 PM PDT

    I've been thinking about trying to do some freelance on the side for a long time and want to start ASAP. My question would be how do you approach clients and look professional as "just a guy offering services". I would assume most people would choose known companies they can trust. The only thing I've got is that hiring me would be cheaper. Don't think that's enough.

    submitted by /u/andisayg
    [link] [comments]

    As a developer or employer, what are your opinions of this website/resume?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 02:59 PM PDT

    Disclaimer: I am not the developer in question!

    Hey everyone,

    I recently came across the personal website of Ege Ercan and was impressed by the way he advertises himself. I'm only an undergraduate and have never held a web development position nor enlisted in any jobs, but I'm taking it upon myself to learn and develop more. My goal is to eventually pursue full-stack work and become independent. I was wondering how others, either fellow web devs or employers, see Ege's website and resume. It's obviously not perfect, and I'm not sure if this is a fair question since I'm not Ege, but from what I can tell his website seems like a great reference point for someone such as myself who wants to construct his own portfolio. Let me know what you think!

    submitted by /u/jamcmich
    [link] [comments]

    How is Namecheap hosting for a blog when compared to Siteground hosting?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 02:52 PM PDT

    I'm leaning towards Namecheap because their hosting plans seem way cheaper than Siteground and Namecheap provides a lot more visitors/month and SSD storage.

    But I have a lot of comments here on this sub recommending the crap out of Siteground.

    What would be your advice?

    I'm running a blog and am trying to take precautions in case it goes viral or starts accumulating a lot of visitors.

    Speed and reliability is my concern, but Namecheap's pricing is so attractive.

    Edit: Don't mind you guys pitching me for either service, I'm looking to be swayed or convinced by your experiences! (had a few PM's)

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    How much would you charge for a 4 pages wordpress website + seo ?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 02:42 PM PDT

    As a Software Engineer freelancer, how much would you charge your customer for this work ??

    Development of a simple Wordpress website with : - 1 home page - 1 who we are page - 1 contact page - 1 dynamic page with a list of items that can be managed (add/delete) by my customer - SEO >> the customer is willing to invest here

    submitted by /u/charliberte
    [link] [comments]

    What's the benefit of using Webpack over using Gulp for merging source files together?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 02:37 PM PDT

    Hello, I have a frontend typescript project, where currently, through gulp, I simply pipe my source files through typescript and then out as a single js file.

    Is there a reason or benefit to using Webpack instead of this? I can't find anything online about Webpack vs. doing this.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/theryan722
    [link] [comments]

    NPM Module Lightbox with no dependencies

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 02:14 PM PDT

    I'm developing a website for my startup and I'm trying to use no jquery.

    I'd like to use npm to control dependencies.

    I tried using https://github.com/imgix/luminous, but I got an error when trying to load it from js with this code:

    new Luminous(document.querySelector("a"));

    That's the error:

    Uncaught ReferenceError: Luminous is not defined

    I'm running the server using https://www.npmjs.com/package/http-server with the command

    http-server

    Do i have to import it in some way?

    I tried importing it with import Luminous from 'luminous-lightbox'; on the first line of my .js, before new Luminous(document.querySelector("a"));, but it gives me the error Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier

    My js code:

    import Luminous from 'luminous-lightbox';

    new Luminous(document.querySelector("a"));

    submitted by /u/zscarface
    [link] [comments]

    Framework For Piping Mocha and Puppeteer Tests

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 10:19 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I have been experimenting with creating a framework that allows for piping of Mocha tests and creating an easier to code environment with Puppeteer and would love to get some feedback from the community.

    https://github.com/arkine/puppeteer

    If anyone has any feedback I would love to hear it.

    submitted by /u/igor_sikorsky
    [link] [comments]

    Loading images gracefully with react-image-appear

    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 01:23 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment