• Breaking News

    Friday, April 5, 2019

    Beginner Questions - April 05, 2019 web developers

    Beginner Questions - April 05, 2019 web developers


    Beginner Questions - April 05, 2019

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 06:18 AM PDT

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Front-End Road Map

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    Open and free web analytics, a new approach and passion project

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    Water.css - A collection of neat styles for simple static apps

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 08:18 PM PDT

    Freelance opportunity questions

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 01:20 PM PDT

    A little background: I'm a Junior in an undergraduate college, and I've taken my fair share of CS classes which this semester include Web Development and Database Management. I created a more-advanced-than-basic web app with Django and it's currently being hosted with AWS. For this project, I did all of the back end stuff and none of the front end stuff, but I'm pretty familiar with how to use HTML and CSS (flexbox).

    Last week, I managed to network my way into redesigning a website for a hair salon (One of my friend's mom works there and she asked the boss). I had a meeting with the boss yesterday and came with many questions. Are there any images/fonts/colors that she'd like. We arranged for another meeting in which she will have all of the answers.

    This is my first time doing any freelancing at all. I feel like I'm a little over my head/an imposter because I've never deployed this kind of website by myself. It's going to be a simple static website with a gallery, contact us, menu, and about us and I kind of have an idea of how I'm going to go about it.

    I have experience imitating the look of other websites, which I'm going to do with this, but I'd like to know which framework is easiest to learn that provides similar functionality to djangos template language. I liked working with Django because it had a templating language and I was able to make a base template and other pages would have that same style. I don't want to have to rewrite each page.html for about, contact us, menu, etc... Also, would netlify be a good way to host a small business's site? My professor said he'd help me with the domain name, but if anyone could help explain that too that would help.

    I know I can produce a good product. I have the skills to make a good looking page, but I'd like it to be more organized and reusable (which is what I suspect web frameworks do?)

    I told her I charge $15 an hour and don't expect that it'll take over 20 hours. Is that a good deal?

    submitted by /u/itsa_me_
    [link] [comments]

    Writing a GraphQL Client in Vanilla JS

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 10:10 AM PDT

    How can I find broken links on my website?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 03:28 AM PDT

    PSA: Please do not go under the pretense that you are guaranteed a job by attending a bootcamp.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 08:05 AM PDT

    However, do go to a bootcamp to gain the skills you need. Your efforts will determine how much you get out of it!

    submitted by /u/dashaman
    [link] [comments]

    Moving from Vue to Angular

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 07:48 AM PDT

    Hey r/Webdev,

    I recently accepted an Angular position. I have much more experience using Vue and its ecosystem (Vuex, Vue-router, etc). If you've worked with both, what were some of the trickier differences to keep in mind between them? Do you regret the move to Angular from Vue? What would you choose today if you got the opportunity to start from scratch? what are y'alls experiences with using Angular Components in Vue apps or vice versa using each's frameworks web component abilities?

    Thank you in advance for the responses!

    submitted by /u/seedlio
    [link] [comments]

    How to create a dark\light mode switch in CSS and Javascript

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 04:58 AM PDT

    How do I reduce my page sizes? My webpack entry point artifacts are HUGE, even simple pages are bloated up to nearly a mB

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 01:39 PM PDT

    i created this python script that enables you to download a youtube video , and also get a trimmed version of it , i really want to know your opinion about it and what can i do to make it better .

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 07:54 AM PDT

    Hey guys. Can someone tell me what kind of animation is this? My best would be some kind of JavaScript, but couldn't find the code

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    How would one build a chatbot landing page like this?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 02:41 PM PDT

    How would one build a chatbot UI like this?

    And how would one make it less laggy?

    I can do the backend work and the training of the bot but I have no idea on how to do the UI.

    Any pointers?

    Does anyone know of a good framework for doing something like that?

    submitted by /u/falklandislands123
    [link] [comments]

    Played with MJML email framework and this is the result.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    Played with MJML email framework and this is the result.

    A year ago I've played with Cerberus HTML email framework. It was good but it lacks some advanced features so I've decided to try something else and used MJML email framework this time.

    I have to say it's cool. There were some Gmail compatibility issues mainly caused by Gmail itself as it altered the code and made the multicolumn emails unusable. Now it seems to be fixed and it works as it should.

    I've created six HTML email templates for Software as a Service type sites. All free. Comments are welcome :)

    https://www.htmlemailtemplates.net/free-stuff/free-html-email-templates/

    or github link if you prefer:

    https://github.com/ckissi/responsive-html-email-templates

    responsive HTML email templates

    submitted by /u/chubbykc
    [link] [comments]

    Did you choose web development as a career because you enjoy it or because of the good pay? Or a mix of both?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 07:23 AM PDT

    Curiosity is probably how I'll end up dead one day.

    submitted by /u/fuck_shampoo
    [link] [comments]

    A JavaScript library for paginating data from multiple sources

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 05:47 AM PDT

    How do I use spring backend for running a react app without using webpack

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 04:04 PM PDT

    Webpack is completely non-functional, and frankly, I don't have the time or energy to try and debug it. I want to have my spring app send out a react project created in Rekit studio directly without it using any kind of bundling or other nonsense. I've been banging my head against the wall about this for months, and I'm sick and tired of webpack being completely worthless.

    submitted by /u/Arkevorkhat
    [link] [comments]

    Can somebody please help identify why my form input labels are failing Google Audit for Accessibility?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 04:02 PM PDT

    I have a React (GatsbyJS) project, and I can't for the life of me figure out why Google Audit for Accessibility is telling me that "Form elements do not have associated labels". Google also provides this link for reference: https://dequeuniversity.com/rules/axe/3.1/label?application=lighthouse. Below is one of my form fields. The rest of the form follow the exact same format.

    {emailFieldName && ( <div className='newsletter-form__input-row'> <div className='edna-input-text'> <input className='edna-input-text__input' name={emailFieldName} ref={emailRef} placeholder='Enter your email address' aria-label='Enter your email address' type='email' id='newsletter-form-email' required /> <label className='edna-input-text__label' htmlFor='newsletter-form-email' > Email Address </label> </div> </div> )} 

    I believe I am correctly linking the label to its input by matching the 'for' (aka 'htmlFor' in React), with the input ID. I even threw the aria-label in just to see if that might pass the Google Audit but no dice.

    Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Please advise. I know the Google Audit results is just a number, but that 84/100 because of some form label that I swear I implemented correctly is driving me up a wall. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/PokemonNovice
    [link] [comments]

    Nothing worse than useless error messages.

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 03:50 PM PDT

    Does anyone know how to use Amazon Product API with a Jekyll website?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 03:30 PM PDT

    I got accepted into amazon associates and want to pull just the information of the products into the site so I can keep my design. I have no experience using Amazon API before. Does anyone know how to do this?

    submitted by /u/_eruedraith_
    [link] [comments]

    What is the alternative way to get an entry web developer job?

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 02:56 PM PDT

    Finding an entry level dev job on a job board is very rare to find. Most of the times you will seen more senior developer job postings than jr. or entry level. Not only that, I have been applying to job postings for years, and I only was able to get one job, but that job was paying me $12.50 an hour. Is there a better way to try to land a job as a entry level developer? Should I just try to contact senior developers through linkedin and ask them if they are hiring any jr developers? I feel like I'm doing something wrong, and I honestly think I'm way more advanced than a jr. developer. Here is my portfolio website (www.jermaineforbes.com). I just think that I don't have the right connections or something, does anyone have any good ideas?

    submitted by /u/Design_Newbie
    [link] [comments]

    What's the shittiest thing people do in webdev? (IRL, not the sub)

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 02:31 PM PDT

    I always felt using jquery plugs for everything and now using SPA/frameworks for everything is a disaster.

    But I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot. What do you guys think is bad that everyone does?

    submitted by /u/PrestigiousInterest9
    [link] [comments]

    Could someone please help me translate this code from monk to mongoose? Thanks!

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 02:06 PM PDT

    app.get('/v2/mews', (req, res, next) => {

    // let skip = Number(req.query.skip) || 0;

    // let limit = Number(req.query.limit) || 10;

    let { skip = 0, limit = 5, sort = 'desc' } = req.query;

    skip = parseInt(skip) || 0;

    limit = parseInt(limit) || 5;

    skip = skip < 0 ? 0 : skip;

    limit = Math.min(50, Math.max(1, limit));

    Promise.all([

    mews

    .count(),

    mews

    .find({}, {

    skip,

    limit,

    sort: {

    created: sort === 'desc' ? -1 : 1

    }

    })

    ])

    .then(([ total, mews ]) => {

    res.json({

    mews,

    meta: {

    total,

    skip,

    limit,

    has_more: total - (skip + limit) > 0,

    }

    });

    }).catch(next);

    });

    submitted by /u/2aparsec
    [link] [comments]

    How do I stop this person from doing job scam!

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 01:44 PM PDT

    So this guy called santhosh gupta runs a fake company and below is his website.

    http://deltacubes.us/

    The reason I say its a fake company and the way he works is. He would find people with absolutely zero experience who are willing to throw money for high paying jobs. He would hire people who would give interview on behalf of these zero experience guys. If you are wondering how can you give clear company interview then it seems few companies would take interviews on phone and maybe on skype and if you are sure that people who interview you are not the same people who would interact with you. Then its easy to cheat interviews.

    He would make fake resume and experience certificates. The experience he would show is from 3-8 years. Now since these people with zero experience don't know jack shit. He would hire people who would in theory work from home but in reality are expected to do 8 hour jobs in 2-4 hours while paying peanuts.

    Its exactly like Cheat India the movie. Fyi here is the blood boiling part. These people who he puts into job(zero experience people) are working in US.

    What a brilliant business, find people with zero experience . Charge them upfront, take a high commission from their salary. Pay peanuts to people to clear interview and do their job.

    Here you are actually denying jobs to those people who have real skills and experience. I have worked with this guy for around a month. I can give all the evidence needed, his contact information everything. But how can we stop him.

    submitted by /u/xpsdeset
    [link] [comments]

    Laravel vs Sage

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 01:18 PM PDT

    Would appreciate if I can get some information on the differences between Laravel and Sage. Which do you side with and why? I want to streamline my development process.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/glendosmit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment