• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 16, 2019

    Angular is such a prankster web developers

    Angular is such a prankster web developers


    Angular is such a prankster

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:39 PM PDT

    Simultaneously design across a variety of themes and screen sizes, powered by JSX and your own component library.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 04:15 AM PDT

    Building a website with HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 03:25 AM PDT

    Basically, I was checking out my church website and noticed a few of the pages had been "under construction" for quite some while now. I guess the original site creator never finished everything. So I reached out to my pastor and told him I could probably finish the pages as they seemed fairly simple.

    He decides to meet up with me and basically told me he wanted a whole new website and that I should give it a shot. Seems like a big task for me but our current website isn't very modern in the first place so I think I can do a tad better at the very least. I'm a recent college graduate who started getting into web dev around the beginning of the year and I can't say I'm very comfortable doing more than HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript at the moment. Do people still use these simple three to create full websites? I've taken a few courses and whatnot but haven't got into anything more complex such as frameworks yet.

    So basically, should I give this a shot? I'm considering for two reasons: He offered to pay me if I complete it and it could look good on my resume. The reasons I'm considering against it: I may not do as well as someone else possibly could and as mentioned, I'm not super comfortable using more than HTML/CSS/JavaScript at the moment.

    Maybe you guys have been in similar situations?

    Edit: Just woke up to a ton of replies. Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/AllTheMedicine
    [link] [comments]

    Amazing site with a collection of filtered programming talks. +1 for the great UI

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    1kb Date/Time JavaScript formatting library

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    Best place to hire a dev for a small, specific job?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 04:38 AM PDT

    Have been developing a mobile app using Cordova / Phonegap. Have tried and failed to implement the Phonegap Push plugin and the Firebase plugin, and after spending days reading old forum posts, (abandoned) Github issues, and so many Medium tutorials.. I just feel that I've tried everything.

    I'm at the point where I really need someone experienced with Phonegap / Cordova / Firebase / Push notifications to just go in and get to the bottom of it, and am willing to throw money at the problem rather than my own sanity. Where's the best place to post a job like this?

    submitted by /u/spektrol
    [link] [comments]

    What to show employers for interviews (html/css)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:53 PM PDT

    I am targeting html/css web design jobs for entry level.

    I am thinking it would be a good idea to include a project on my portfolio to show what I can do with my layout skills (html/css), and include the link to the code on my git hub. (So that they see how I code and I can talk about it with them).

    I am thinking if I show them that my code is good, the layout looks good and is responsive, it will go a long way.

    So what type of page should I create? Any ideas for something not too complicated that would look professional, like a popular site I can try to reproduce?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Daniel1836
    [link] [comments]

    Design patterns in modern JavaScript development

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 02:49 AM PDT

    A Crash Course in Django: A quick way to get started making basic Django websites without going too in-depth.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    concrete.css

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:33 PM PDT

    Getting a new mac, advice?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    I've been using a 2011 air and it's just not powerful enough anymore. It lags constantly, it takes forever to reboot localhost, and some websites (notably jira) are so slow that timing when I log into the site is actually a decision that I have to factor into my workflow.

    Don't even get me started on how slow and frustrating it is to run virtual devices.

    So it's time to get a new mac and I have some questions

    1. Do macs still have good longevity?

    2. Should I buy the upgraded RAM, or would it be better to get a lower amount and then upgrade it myself? We're talking going from 16GB to 32GB, at a price difference of $400.

    3. Should I buy the upgraded CPU? I plan to be using this for awhile so I don't mind spending a bit more for something noticeably better. But I don't want to buy the better CPU if it turns out they're functionally identical or something.

    - The lower-end is 2.2GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor urbo Boost up to 4.1GHz - The higher end is 2.6GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz 

    For the purposes of this conversation, assume that the marginal price difference between options isn't really something I'm worried about.

    submitted by /u/ohgodspidersno
    [link] [comments]

    The Forge: Harry’s approach to the multi-brand component library

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 08:21 AM PDT

    Trying to get started with "modern" webdev environment. It sucks.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 02:48 AM PDT

    So this post is a rant but also has honest questions. I'm annoyed but I want to understand.

    As a part-time junior developer working on simple projects (websites) I've always used a web hosting service with stuff like SFTP and phpMyAdmin for my humble webdev needs. Locally, I would just install XAMPP or WAMP and get started immediately. I've never felt the need to use the command line, virtual machines or install some fancy backend framework.

    This time I'm working on a more complex project, writing a local PHP app. I already wrote a lot of the code and it was going fine when I consulted with some more experienced devs, and they convinced me to "get serious" and set up a proper webdev environment.

    So it began. After reading a tutorial on how to use command line, and doing some research to find out what to do, it took me a while but I managed to install Vagrant and VirtualBox. After than I installed ScotchBox (LAMP stack). All of this took me 2 days to get ready.

    I transferred my .php files into public folder and visited the app in browser. To my surprise it actually worked and I could see my app live. Except there is not data since the database is empty.

    So i figured I just have to import my database into the new mysql server via phpmyadmin. Ooops, there is not phpmyadmin. What, why not? ScotchBox says I should stop using it anyway because "it will be a life changing experience". Interesting. Instead, it says I should use Sequel Pro or Navicat. Okay. Only problem is, SequelPro is MacOS-only, and the Navicat is not free. So I'm being forced off of phpmyadmin, which worked flawlessly literally for the last 10 years, and it was free. Now I'm googling other db tools and of course I am overwhelmed with options. I wish they just recommended a third, free, option for Windows.

    So I decide I'll google how to install phpmyadmin on scotch box. I find Ubuntu docs explaining how to install it "From universe repository" as a Package, where it also says, "Note, however, that installation from a package manager often does not work." lol, indeed. Took me an hour to get this installed but I did it.

    It's installed but it doesn't work. Tutorial says I have to add "Include /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf" in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf, so it will work. Okay seems simple enough. Except I have no idea where to find folder /etc/apache2. This is probably dead simple but I just can't find it. I've looked through all Vagrant boxes and VM folders. I've searched in file explorer I don't know where to find the goddamn folder. If it was in WAMP or XAMPP (C:/Bitnami/wampstack/apache2), hell yes i know where it is. But not here.

    However, I manage to navigate to this folder via command line by entering it directly "/etc/..." even though I still don't know where it is in my PC. This is where I meet the "vim text editor" . So now I'm googling tutorials on how to use Vim, which is apparently another command line thing that runs independently of my Windows cmd. I learn that I can hop the cursor around it by using "j, k, h, l" keys (It's 2019., right?) After navigating to the folder it took me another 30 minutes to actually enter the file. Now I've entered the line from tutorial but I don't know how to save the file. Tut says use "wq:" command to save a file but I write that and nothing happens. This is where I stop.

    How is this better than Notepad?

    How can any of this be considered modern? Since when is hacking through hundreds upon hundreds of command lines of tiny letters full of florescent colors on a black background more intuitive than a GUI? How come ages ago we used beautiful GUIs such as FileZilla and phpMyAdmin and now those are somehow obsolete, while this is the way to go? I don't get it.

    And I've only tried setting up the most basic environment. I don't even want to imagine what a complex environment looks like, with all kinds of resources being pulled in. "Out of the box" my ass. WAMP is out-of-the-box ready. Not this. Not even by a long shot. I would expect things to get simpler with time as technologies improve, not the other way around.

    The time it took me to get this far (not very far) to set up the environment is the same amount of time it took me to write roughly 1/4th of my app originally before dived into this mess. I could have been half-done with it by now.

    I could live with it all just following tutorials, right? It's not that hard. Well, problem is I keep hitting walls and errors keep popping up. I read carefully, I do everything step by step and double check, but still every 2nd step hits a roadblock. Something won't download. Something won't install. Some privilege is missing. Command is not recognized etc, etc.

    With all that said, I realize there's probably a reason for all of this, and I'm just not knowledgeable enough to understand it. But at the same time I feel like some things are unnecessarily over complicated. Like, can someone please tell me what is so God-awful wrong with phpMyAdmin that not using it should become a life changing experience?

    submitted by /u/3oR
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for SquareSpace Friendly (no JS) Nav Menus Option

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 03:19 PM PDT

    I've been pulling my hair out trying to find something to set up an "archive" dropdown menu that can be placed anywhere on a page with an html placeholder.

    A search function isn't 100% necessary, but would really be a nice touch.

    Basically, I'm looking for a way to link to external sites either based off of year or school. The hierarchy would be

    Choose Your Year > YEAR > SCHOOL > CEREMONY
    or
    Choose Your School > SCHOOL > YEAR > CEREMONY

    I've tried a handful of things so and I know how to add basic HTML once it's done, but nothing has seemed to work too well so far.

    I'm wondering if just doing a single menu with simple UL/IL may be easier/faster and just manually doing it all.

    submitted by /u/heyheythrowitaway
    [link] [comments]

    Why is it impossible to find part time work as a web developer?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 03:17 PM PDT

    So I've been searching and searching trying to find a developer position, anything really 3 times a week instead of 5 times a week. But it seems to be impossible to scrounge up a position like this, every company I contact insists on full time.

    Why is that? I mean I'm completely fine with making 3/5 of the full time salary I just want more time for my own life/projects etc.

    Is there a particular reason why it's impossible to find part time work in this business?

    submitted by /u/Gwiz84
    [link] [comments]

    How essential is my university degree?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    I'm currently on my final year of a web development degree in the UK. My grade is currently sitting at 2.1 borderline 2.2. I'm worried that a 2.2 will affect my chances of recruitment. Do recruiters care much about how you did in your degree or are they mainly looking for the degree and a good portfolio?

    submitted by /u/gouser
    [link] [comments]

    For the sake of argument, if you have to do device or agent detection: what's your approach?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 02:36 PM PDT

    Should I take a design course when what I really want to do is back-end development?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 08:37 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    So I have been recently accepted into a high school that focuses on programming in my hometown (Portugal), and I'm quite happy about it, aside from the fact that it probably won't allow me to get a job very easily, but it'll get my hands a bit dirty with programming and I can experience working with a company for a while. But I live with my dad in Portugal and he's been having many housing problems, it's not a stable environment for me to study in and I really can't bare living like I have anymore.

    My mom lives in Sweden, and I have recently decided that I want to go live with her asap. I'll have to repeat one year since on one of the years I'll be studying Swedish in an intensive course for one year, but tbh I'm fine with that. Me and my mom went to a school just to ask for information, and the school is amazing, 100x better than what I was expecting, although I don't have grades that are good enough for me to get into the programming course (minimum points is 270 and I have 224) plus I didn't pass at maths on the 9th grade but I'll be able to fix that during the year that I'll be studying Swedish.

    So here's the problem, he (the headmaster of the school) said I should try to get into the programming course, but I should also think about a new design course, which focuses on (obviously) design, and has some programming that is focused on the UI/UX part of web dev, and they teach html, css and javascript. I would be able to get into this since my points are more than enough for me to get in, and it's a good way for me to just get into the school, I could attend the programming club that the students run and learn some stuff there.

    My question is if I should do this design course (knowing that I'll get in for sure), learn stuff about UX/UI and keep studying back-end development on the side, or should I get into the IT course? Sorry if this is confusing but if you didn't understand something/ are confused I'll help in everything I can!

    Sorry for the long read btw!

    submitted by /u/SimilarLanguage
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys, can you rate my portfolio site? Built solely in Laravel

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 02:24 PM PDT

    Can anyone suggest a way to format PHP with HTML? I've tried several linters but must be missing something

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    because I only get lint errors. :(

    Explain this for a noob?

    submitted by /u/bnimbla
    [link] [comments]

    Microservices in an early startup? Not the best idea.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 08:02 AM PDT

    ProjChat - Manage Trello from Slack

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 02:00 PM PDT

    How can I keep track of the consent form agreements

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 01:49 PM PDT

    We have a web application. When the users sign up, we display a consent form based on the user type they pick. There are 3 user types and 3 different consent forms.

    Now we get a new requirement that we would like to keep track of the consent form agreement. That is when the user agrees to a consent form, we would like to record that they agree to the consent form as an evidence if they sue us. The next time when they login, if they did not agree to the consent form, we will let them agree before they can login. The consent forms might get updated, so if the users agree to an old consent form but not to the new one, we still need to let them agree before logging in.

    I have a hard time thinking of an elegant way to design this. Currently we store the consent forms which are HTML files on the client side. Should I store the HTML to the backend database? How can I check if the user has agreed to a consent form or not?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/klabe2018
    [link] [comments]

    Reselling AWS hosting

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 01:40 PM PDT

    So a few of my clients have told me they wish they could just use me as their hosting company and that sparked the idea of could I set up and resell a vps solution via AWS or another cloud provider? Like one easier for my clients to just jump on their cpanel & only see their site info. but they pay me then I pay aws instead of them paying godaddy or whatever hosting directly, is this profitable? Are there pre-built solutions for this I could easily implement a user-secured system? Does anyone have experience reselling their hosting to their clients like this?

    submitted by /u/frostbyte650
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment