• Breaking News

    Friday, April 19, 2019

    A brief tutorial showing how you can create text to particle effect in Unity3D

    A brief tutorial showing how you can create text to particle effect in Unity3D


    A brief tutorial showing how you can create text to particle effect in Unity3D

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:55 PM PDT

    I share my steam sales revenue

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 07:04 AM PDT

    Hello GameDev! If any of you are looking to add some video game styled sound effects to you library, I’m sharing my full SFX collection for free to use in your projects. Includes 6 sound effect packs! Cheers!

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 05:48 PM PDT

    Is it possible to find success as a game dev if you generally dislike and don't participate in social media?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    A topic that's been on my mind for a while is trying to make it as an independent game developer if you're the sort of person who dislikes social media. There's no doubt that social media is incredibly important these days, and this community and so many others have many discussions concerning how various developers have utilized it effectively, how to nurture a community surrounding your game, and so on.

    My situation though is that I'm not particularly active on social media, aside from this reddit account. I quit Facebook, I don't want to touch twitter, I barely participate in any Discord or Slack channels, I'm not on YouTube, I don't stream, and I have little to no interest in any other social networks that I know of. This didn't always use to be the case -- several years ago I used to use social media a lot more. But ever since I stopped, there's been a big increase in my quality of life. Basically, I'm the wrong person to deal with it. I was never very good at it, I never really understood how to use it, and I'm happier without it. I imagine I'm not the only one that feels this way too.

    So given that, are there any paths or strategies available to me that would allow me to find success as an independent game developer? For example, I've considered teaming up with someone else who can handle all the social media aspects of developing and releasing a game, though that's easier said than done.

    But I'm curious if there is any advice or success stories (even mild success stories) from anyone who was in a similar situation regarding social media.

    submitted by /u/guygizmo
    [link] [comments]

    Using blender to make isometric sprites from 3D models

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 05:02 AM PDT

    Blender 2.8 Addon Fast Carve : New UI

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 09:00 AM PDT

    How to Create a Low Poly Character in 23 Minutes using Dust3D

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 04:43 AM PDT

    Looking for feedback on split-screen mockup

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 11:41 AM PDT

    Lying to players about odds

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 03:43 PM PDT

    I have a game where 1-3 people are select from 10 to be "the other team". I pick by shuffling the player list and grabbing the first three list entries.

    This is cool and good, but data tells me that extremely unlucky players can go dozens of games (up to 60!) without being selected.

    I want desperately to add in a weighted pick system, but I am constantly outvoted by my partners because "lying to the player about odds" is frowned upon. Similarly, since it's paramount that "the other team" blends in with the normal players, we can't disclose the odds of selection to players.

    Any good resources or insight on this topic?

    Edit: It seems like I might need to describe my game a bit more to clarify why this matters and what is apparent already.

    My game is like mafia/werewolf. Players join game rooms already knowing how many impostors will be attempting to kill them. Some people enjoy one impostor games, some two or three. That's fine. The balance to make is around player psychology. Most players don't have a subtle touch with odds, so if it's suggested that Player A is more likely impostor than Player B, it may as well be 100% likely. The truth is that randomness still allows for any player to be impostor, but that doesn't matter. Player A's experience will still be most impacted by it.What's more, our game rooms are self-serve, so N players can play with each other over and over, so if the weighting is at all apparent, then smart players may suspect the "increased likelihood" players without us ever actually telling them. I think we can temper this issue by capping the shift in weights and using a subtle touch, but it's still of concern.

    Editedit: Okay, this post got way more attention than I was expecting, so I'm pretty much done responding. I'll read them all though. There are a ton of interesting ideas on this, and some really great links. From what I gathered, I think this was far more of a non-issue than I imagined. Most people saying "follow the fun", and a few with really creative solutions. Additionally, one person stood out by basically saying "check your priorities", and while that was wrong and little rude, I do realize how many people aren't complaining. So it's still something to consider. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

    submitted by /u/fwfb
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to understand how server communication works.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    Hey all, just want to start by thanking this community. It has been so helpful and has made a lot of my headaches go away.

    I'm trying to wrap my head around the data transfer process for online mobile games. Am I correct in thinking that almost all data storage, player stats, and updates are held server side? And all users can do is send requests to servers to perform certain actions?

    For example, a user can send a request to a server to do some quest for experience points. The server will then run the quest and update the XP server side first, then update the data client side, not the other way around. So when someone tries to update their client side info manually (cheating), the server says "woah, that's not the data I had", and updates the client side data to reflect what was stored server side.

    I'm sorry if this makes no sense at all. I'm just trying to understand the process of communicating with a server and how it manages 1000's of accounts.

    Thanks all

    submitted by /u/Th3AmateurCoder
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help me make a single low poly 3D model for my horror game?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    I just need a simple 3D animated monster model, pls hep

    submitted by /u/jar_are_red
    [link] [comments]

    Godot vs Cocos2d

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 11:45 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    Up until now, I was only ever aware of one free-to-use game engine, and that was Unity3d. However, I usually used it to make 2D games. I recently heard of Cocos2D and Godot, both which sound interesting and better suited for 2D game development.

    Both of them support development with C++, which I am fond of as I have experience with that language, and both can be used to make mobile games, which I am interested in making as well.

    So, that said, is there any inherent difference between these two engines (as of now)? If so, which one would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/gamecoder95
    [link] [comments]

    Could use some opinions on persisting level states for a mobile game I am developing.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    I'm building a 2D minimalist/abstract puzzle game for iOS. Ultimately, the core gameplay mechanic revolves around manipulating puzzles with your character in order to get access to tokens. The user has to collect some number of tokens to beat the level and there are extra optional tokens available for some game replayability.

    The game is designed such that each level in a given world will contain a "master puzzle" and that master puzzle will be made up of several mini puzzles that the user can focus in on as they wish and attempt to manipulate in order to collect the tokens that correspond with that section. The mini puzzles are co-dependent in that one may have a key that is needed to unlock another.

    Each mini puzzle will be composed of various puzzle pieces/components. These will each have their own behaviors, actions, some will move on their own, while others will require the user to manually move.

    So I've already defined how I want to handle the state of all puzzle components when the user is actively engaged in a level and switching from mini-puzzle to mini-puzzle. I also know that if the user beats a level and decides to go back at a later time, whatever tokens he/she collected previously, will be represented as "ghost tokens" that can be recollected, but will have no impact on the game.

    My question is, what do you guys think would be the best way of handling a case where a user starts an unbeaten level, completes say 40% and decides to quit midway through for whatever reason? Should I persist the entire state of the master puzzle as it was left or should the user have to start from square 1 when they restart the level (again, this is assuming the level hasn't been completed).

    I'm trying to design the levels so that if the user knew all the tricks/gotchas to each master puzzle section (mini-puzzle), they'd on average be able to gather all the collectibles for that level in a couple minutes. Using Rayman Legends as an example, if you get 3/4 of the way through an unbeaten level and decide to quit, when you revisit that level you have to start completely from the beginning. I don't remember this ever annoying or frustrating me and think a similar approach would fit in with my game, but I'm not totally sure. I want to place the player's experience above everything else.

    Appreciate any tips or suggestions you guys might have to offer.

    submitted by /u/TheSquidInSuperMario
    [link] [comments]

    3D modeling

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 10:57 AM PDT

    Does anybody have any suggestions of where I can go to get 3d models made for weapons and characters for my game.

    submitted by /u/acpatterson04
    [link] [comments]

    Mic for voice acting?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 10:56 AM PDT

    I am voice acting my small indie game, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend an affordable mic with lossless audio quality?

    submitted by /u/Troflecopter
    [link] [comments]

    New Babylon.js Video Series on the 4.0 Inspector Tool: Part 4

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 10:46 AM PDT

    Nova Renderer - A complete replacement for Minecraft's renderer

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    Tech Tycoon, the IT-based business simulator, has a new Dev Blog! Our 3D Artist shows how the art style for Tech Tycoon has evolved, and what is to come. Enjoy!

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 10:10 AM PDT

    Making of 3D animations

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Could someone explain how are the animations made for videogames? I understand how are done for just an animation, but do you actually need to add anything to it? Like a transition to go from one animation to another(if u are running and jump, for example), do any of you have link to a resource on this? I woudl really apreciate it, thanks

    submitted by /u/pretorianvs
    [link] [comments]

    An open source VR headset optimized for the web ��

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 10:06 AM PDT

    What is required to be a game designer?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    As I am thinking about doing game design in college I want to know what else is involved in that process.

    What would be the necessities of skills that I'd need to have to be successful in that area?Will I need to have the skills of prgramming, drawing or sound design?

    Would it be enough if I just ace everything in college?

    EDIT: This is a repost from r/gamedesign because this sub is bigger by a fair amount

    submitted by /u/hiqven
    [link] [comments]

    Mixed feelings about my own game

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 09:42 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    So my latest game https://openfun.itch.io/mayhemcars is also my first game that got mentioned by youtubers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obsncFwexmk) and I have to say I love it.

    Main reason why I am talking about this is that this coverage helped me to realize more things that I expected.

    1. How powerfull can it be when this happens
    2. How much can it boost your ego
    3. How much I hate myself for having so many stupid bugs in my game
    4. How much I hate myself for not finding them by myself sooner
    5. How important is to talk back to creators and show them that you like what they did

    Do you guys have any advises about how to handle these things well?

    This game is first one that made me realize just how many skills someone needs if they are trying to create something goo by themselves.

    submitted by /u/DemonioV
    [link] [comments]

    C++ EnTT resource cache + loader

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 09:17 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I've recently started to use EnTT and was wondering how I would go about creating a resource cache for managing textures (specifically SFML's sf::Texture)?

    The syntax to create a resource cache only allows you to input const strings as identifier.

    And the strings that I have are runtime strings so I can't use it for my purpose.

    Or am I doing something wrong?

    Ideally, this is what I want but does NOT work:

    Does not work:

    auto somestring = "foobar";

    cache.load<texture\_loader>(somestring + _hs, 0);

    Works:

    cache.load<texture\_loader>("foobar"_hs, 0);

    submitted by /u/NullBy7e
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment