• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 5, 2019

    Thinking of quitting the industry, advice needed.

    Thinking of quitting the industry, advice needed.


    Thinking of quitting the industry, advice needed.

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 05:14 AM PST

    Hi there,

    Obvious throwaway so my boss, co-workers and other people don't find out.

    I've been in the same position at an AAA company and two months ago I couldn't take it anymore. I have been home since, trying to hold onto the last bit of sanity I have left. Psychologist is recommending that I get long term care from a psychiatrist, and I have been taking calming medicine to cope with daily life.

    This was mostly caused by the situation at work, and I think the best solution to my problem would be to remove myself from the situation so I can recover.

    I haven't had this before, and I don't know a whole lot of people with burnout. I can't talk to my buddies in the industry because I think it's pretty painful to talk about, and to admit I'm not doing well.

    I have an art degree, and this is the only company I've worked for in the games industry. I'm pretty young still, and i don't have a clue on what else I could do for work. This has pretty much been my only passion.

    Please let me know if you have experience with this, or can give me some advice.

    Thanks, Throwaway

    EDIT; Thanks for all the replies, advice, personal messages and and personal experiences, it really helps.

    I'm making a list of other companies and will apply to places and keep an eye on my health.

    Some info is a bit lost in the comments, but I'll sum the information up in here for the new readers;

    I have too much responsibilities, but don't have the power to influence the things I'm responsible for. Deadlines are non-negotiable, and people will go behind my back to break my attack plan if they disagree, while I'm supposed to take care of that.

    Other people are scared of standing up for themselves so I'm trying to do it for them, and it is not appreciated by certain people with authority over me.

    People don't read emails or come to meetings. These meetings and emails require certain people to be present because I do not have direct authority over the decision.

    submitted by /u/throw-away-73922
    [link] [comments]

    What if we still used floppy disks? 4 days of sales visualised

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 09:31 AM PST

    Counter-intuitive Steps to Indie Success

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 12:25 PM PST

    I'm gonna be honest with you. I don't consider myself to be successful, yet I'm writing this article about success. So what I say here is probably bullshit. Maybe I shouldn't be writing this. But I'm a rebel, so I'm gonna write it anyway.

    Taco place. Sunday. I was talking to Camila, my girlfriend, about what steps I needed to take. I want to make historical games. Make a living out of it, contribute to society through it. So I need people to buy these games and like them so much that they buy the next one. The steps I figured were:

    1. Make a game that people want.
    2. Make it good.
    3. Make it reach people.

    That's all. If people want it, they'll play it. If it's good, they'll enjoy it. And they need to hear about it in the first place.

    But even as I said that, I knew that wasn't all. These steps are true, but they completely miss the point. If you follow those steps, you'll fail. Guaranteed.

    Why? Because there are hidden steps.

    Know yourself

    Instead of making a game that people want, you need to make a game that you want. Then, people will want your game. It's a paradox.

    If you try only to please people, you'll lose your voice and vision. Instead, you need to know yourself. Know your passions, your fears, your thoughts and feelings.

    It's still true that you need to make a game that people want. You need to find your niche. But it all begins with you. When you know yourself, you can ask: what game would I really enjoy playing? Others will relate. Don't guess what others want, ask yourself.

    Treat yourself well

    I'm terrible at this. See? I'm doing it again. Saying I'm terrible isn't actually healthy.

    Be nice to yourself. If you hate working, the quality of your work suffers. You feel too pressured and you burn out.

    So you need to take breaks. Chill. Do things outside of games. Have fun. Another advantage of this is that it allows you to get to know yourself better.

    I have a friend that frowned when I mentioned this, because some of his games are about terrible experiences. It's like his brow was asking: "but what am I gonna make games about?"

    You should make games about bad experiences, it helps. But don't turn making games into a bad experience, otherwise you won't last. And don't worry, you won't run out. Life has a way of throwing bullshit at people. Just don't get carried away by the bad stuff.

    Treat others well

    After Roguemance didn't sell well, I told a friend that I was gonna sell my next game "person by person". He asked: "is that efficient?"

    No, probably not. But it's very rewarding.

    You can't treat your customers like numbers. Neither your employees or colleagues. I guess this is obvious, but it's easy to lose sight of it when you're trying to sell enough units to make a living.

    But connecting meaningfully with others improves your life, your game and your sales.

    TL;DR:

    To make a game that people want, you need to make a game that you want. Don't compromise your vision, don't try to only please others.

    To make a good game, you need to make sure you're happy and able to do your best work. Don't overwork, don't put pressure on yourself.

    To make it reach people, you need to be generous and kind to people. Don't be an asshole to your players or colleagues, don't treat people like numbers or sales. Be genuinely nice.

    TL;DR of the TL;DR:

    Love what you do, love yourself, and love others.

    If you want, you can follow me on Twitter.

    submitted by /u/AD1337
    [link] [comments]

    Technical Artist Bootcamp: Introduction to Proceduralism

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 09:44 AM PST

    Narrative Design of Alto's Adventure | Farlands In Focus

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 06:07 AM PST

    Somebody is reverse engineering my app. Should I afraid of stealing? Is it legal?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 11:30 PM PST

    I have an Android app in Google Play store.

    I've discovered trough various Fabric events that somebody is reverse engeenering my app.

    I have a piracy checker which triggers if somebody installs the app not from the Google Play store, and he also made numerous IAPs without the payment being paid.

    I know both of these things by Fabric custom events.

    I also get false new user alarms from a Xiaomi phone, which is far a typical sympthom when somebody is launching the application many times - like when changing and trying the code again and again.

    As far as I know:

    Reverse engineering for your own fun is absolutely legal.

    But what if the guy decides he re-publish my app with some numbers and paramteres changed with some reskin?

    Also he have bought about 100 IAPS that would cost like 270$, but it was free for him because he changed the code.

    Is it legal? Could I report it to Google or something?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Adamn27
    [link] [comments]

    3D Rope Swing mechanic: changing directions?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 04:52 AM PST

    Hi, I'm implementing a 3D swinging game where my character has a grappling hook that she can also use to swing back and forth.

    I've managed to achieve a really nice one-directional swing (ie. in the direction of the pivot when attached) as well as a nice curve if the player attaches while moving at a different angle.

    However, I haven't figured out a good way to allow the player to steer the swing towards a direction they would like to go.

    I've tried rotating their velocity by a small amount per frame (increasing with speed) but it isn't very fluid.

    I've also tried just applying a force in the direction but it doesn't play nicely at all with my rope tension force/constraints (which are force-based rather than being hard constraints).

    Any ideas? Should I just abandon trying to use purely forces for the swing?

    submitted by /u/AwkwardSheep
    [link] [comments]

    Gamasutra: Move or Die and its 4 Year Journey to the PlayStation 4

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 08:31 AM PST

    Richard Gray, an Ordinary Muscovite: Interview with the Creator of Duke Nukem

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 09:58 AM PST

    AMA with Zac Rich from Press Start Legal Tomorrow March 6th

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 07:18 AM PST

    Good Morning GameDev,

    It's only been a month, but it feels like its been far too long. This Wednesday at 9:15 am, Eastern Time, join Zac Rich from Press Start Legal for our Bi-Weekly AMA! GameDevs, Publishers, and anyone in the interactive entertainment industry bring your questions to ask a lawyer!

    submitted by /u/PressStartLegal
    [link] [comments]

    Robothorium Post Mortem

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 08:34 AM PST

    Where do you think video games can go as a therapeutic/exercise tool to facilitate a greater quality of living?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 04:30 AM PST

    Hello,

    I'm asking a question that's been burning on my mind for sometime, how do you think video games will fit into a life-enhancing purpose in everyday life, like how do you see people using video games to improve/develop some quality of their life through regular or therapeutic use.

    Because the way I see it there are 3 basic needs that everyone has, everything else can be fulfilled from anywhere - Food, Shelter, Clothing, and video games certainly do not fulfill any of these, wouldn't it be great if they did? :D

    So if video games can be used on a regular basis to improve some quality of life or be used frequently to cause some improvement physically, I know the psychological aspects are better covered, like exercise, what would you say they would be?

    Some examples that popped in mind:

    video games to improve motor movement in senior individuals - therapeutic, exercise

    video games in VR to improve balance in people with imbalances - therapeutic

    ...in the same line, what exercises do you think video games can serve in someone's life to improve their physical well being?

    And in turn improve their other aspects of life...

    Because we know a healthy body breathes a healthy mind which in turn facilitates the environment for a healthy soul.

    So, where do you think video games can go with this...

    Edit: Can someone help me crosspost this? I can't seem to find how to.

    Edit Edit: Can you recommend some game engines for this?

    submitted by /u/Le0ndar
    [link] [comments]

    I've skipped college to work on this game. It's been over 5 years now and it's finally out on PS4! What do you think?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 12:50 PM PST

    Plagiarism?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 12:47 PM PST

    Will keep this brief but looking for advice for a buddy of mine.

    As part of his university course he made a demo of a game with a few friends. Lecturers approached them at the end of term and asked if they could take their concept, develop into a full game, and they would get 50% of profit(if any) upon release.

    A year later, with said title nearing completion, they have now been told that they won't receive anything as they had replaced all the assets etc and had spent too much time getting it finished.

    There's no paper work to support any of this of course, apart emails and messages stating.

    Total dick move, and there is no signed legal agreement, but do they have any rights to push back on this? Surely plagiarism is a thing in game development?

    submitted by /u/LittleWanger
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking some constructive feedback on my games trailer i created. Note im mainly a developer not a video guy so this is still new to me

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 11:26 AM PST

    Dave Lang, founder of Iron Galaxy, shares his history in game dev.

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 10:56 AM PST

    Added custom depth to see mesh outlines when out of sight

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 12:39 PM PST

    Educational game for adults: search for ideas

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 04:01 AM PST

    I am thinking of making an educational 3d game for teenagers/young adults/adults for my Final Year Project. It's just an idea for now: an adventure or a platformer where you gain knowledge by getting info straight from items and pickups, or you have to check the surroundings to analyze how things work and apply the knowledge to progress further. I am not striving for

    I have culinary studies and photography in mind, just wondering if any of you wanted to get to know something/specific field later in life but didn't have time or couldn't concentrate and wouldn't mind learning in a game form,what would it be?

    submitted by /u/doa28
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Save System for Level Objects in Unity - Checkpoints

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 09:39 AM PST

    Fusion 360 Getting Started Tutorial

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 09:29 AM PST

    Mini games for visual novel?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 08:52 AM PST

    I'm currently creating my first game; a visual novel (assets and writing are complete, now it's time to actually make the game). I realized I don't want 4 hours of straight back and forth dialogue options. Right now I have a stat based system to pass or fail dialogue options but I also want to include mini games so that it doesn't feel repetitive. What are some mini games that would fit well with a 2D visual novel?

    submitted by /u/Bluejay1481
    [link] [comments]

    Aspiring 2D hand drawn texture artist - not sure where to go?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 08:45 AM PST

    Hi guys, a bit of a long post but I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

    I've always been a hobbyist modder for the games I love, normally creating textures by hand in Photoshop; it's probably the only thing I can honestly say I LOVE doing in life. I can wittle away hours and not care, as long as the final result is a labor of love.

    I'm out of a long and boring career now and i'd love to try and make some pocket money from my skills and have fun doing it.

    I'm more into static textures and graphic design for world building, I'm not a programmer and don't have gamedev friends to start a project in any capacity so i've always been in my own bubble, tinkering away on personal mods.

    I've had a look at some of the asset market places but I fear they're a bit out of my depth, I don't really know 'maps' and all of the modern industry stuff. But i'm hoping there could be a niche for one off, or packs of assets in 2D formats?

    My best example is probably a mod for Cities Skylines:

    https://imgur.com/a/d4k2HJT

    This was my first 3D model and it was a total pain to UV map [first time doing that too!]. I'm a bit gutted that I don't have the actual 2D file to show you as the resolution was downscaled a bit so most details were lost.

    Another album here of some similar examples, these are years old but are a good example of what I did for this game

    https://imgur.com/a/kbGuCaC

    Think I have a fighting chance of getting some sales on these platforms? I'd imagine I'd need a lot of hours to make some 'packs' rather than single textures, but like I said - I have no idea what the landscape is like.

    UI stuff like buttons and icons also interest me but sadly I have no examples either.

    Thanks for reading, I could make stuff like this all day long and hopefully I can get to work in the near future.

    submitted by /u/roidymagoo
    [link] [comments]

    There are days when I feel optimistic about a project. There are days when I feel like I can't do it and lose confidence in myself, like these last 2 weeks now

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 08:07 AM PST

    Started learning Gamemaker a few years ago. After 3-4 small projects based on tutorials, when I felt I was ready to start my own project, I started prototyping.

    I got some of the mechanics down using free sprites I downloaded, so I could make things work asap. But now the time for to create art has come. I'm not an artist. I've been learning pixel art since the start of the year and haven't had much progress. That's why I have been losing confindence in myself, feeling demotivated, and feel the lack of getting stuff done.

    How do I overcome this? I want to stop having these negative thoughts and put in the effort to learn

    submitted by /u/teinimon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment