• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 9, 2019

    Simulating ants with modular memory-driven Task-Bots (proof of concept - more in comments)

    Simulating ants with modular memory-driven Task-Bots (proof of concept - more in comments)


    Simulating ants with modular memory-driven Task-Bots (proof of concept - more in comments)

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 03:09 AM PST

    Concept artist turned solo dev: Here's my creature painting process

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 04:32 PM PST

    Speed-through animating a character for our unannounced game, using meshes and vertex deformations in 2Dimensions Flare��

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 01:59 AM PST

    Release candidate: Godot 3.1 RC 1

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 07:11 AM PST

    A GZDoom Success Story (Kinda): Fun With Collision Detection

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 05:12 AM PST

    Ok, here's the skinny: I'm doing an arcade-style flight game in Doom's engine.

    Yes, you read that right. Arcade flight game. Doom's engine. Why even bother when Unreal/Unity exist? Because kicking reason to the curb is my modus operandi. Plus, I had already started on the project last year, so I might as well see it through to completion. Especially after the wondrous fun I had last night.

    My Doom engine of choice is the delightfully modern GZDoom engine and it's C-wannabe scripting language ZScript, and I've been really surprised at how flexible this engine and its language are. So far I've been able to get my player plane to move at a constant velocity, speed up and down, pitch and yaw realistically, and even roll 360 degrees. It's neat, really. But even neater is a nifty little function that's aided my developments in enemy AI for the game: LineTrace.

    In a nutshell, LineTrace fires an invisible line from the calling actor's center, at the bottom of their hitbox. This line can be customized in a number of ways, such as the origin, the angle and pitch, and even how far the line extends. But what really makes me giddy is that it can store data on what exactly the line hit, if it hit anything at all. It can even differentiate between walls, ceilings, floors, and other actors. All that's required is to create a struct to store the data, and that struct can be accessed separately of the function.

    See where I'm going with this? Using LineTrace, I was able to get an AI bot to 180 when it was about to hit a wall, pitch up when it's about to hit a floor, or swerve away if it's about to hit my plane. It's all thanks to the struct data and how I was able to use it to manipulate the actor. Of course, it's still rough around the edges (I catch the bot faceplanting into floors every now and then), but I'm pretty impressed with this development so far.

    Now I'll admit, I am FAR from an experienced programmer, so I'm probably making a bigger deal of this then I probably should. I'm just pleased with my ability to learn and adapt with new information, as I do question my competence from time to time.

    So what about you guys? Any fun stories with AI/collision detection, or even anything else at all, that you wanna share?

    submitted by /u/VenomousWoe
    [link] [comments]

    QT like GUI but as a library?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 07:47 AM PST

    Hi!

    Currently, I use 2 GUI libraries, QT and Dear ImGUI. Both work, but not the way I like. I like QT because it has many features and looks good, and is more customizable. But I also like Dear ImGUI because it can work on litteraly any device you want, and it's a library.(QT is almost it's own programming language)

    So my question is, are there any libraries that have the features of QT, can be used as a library, isn't ImGUI, I can write my own renderer for(Using OpenGL)?(So my project compiles and controls the GUI like with Dear ImGUI. Because QT wants to "own" your program and you have to build it around QT(Which I don't like)) The reason I'm asking is because I'm not really a fan of ImGUI's and Dear ImGUI is missing some stuff I need.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/timl132
    [link] [comments]

    Good Game Design - Tactics Games

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 10:36 AM PST

    What is the best strategy for promoting my game?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 07:39 AM PST

    Hi all. Now I'm self-training for a programmer job, and I will run my own business a few years later. I'm interested in both production on a game and promoting the game on the market because letting people know the presence of the game is as important as making a killer game.

    For an indie developer, there are several zero-buck marketing practices. Trailer on Steam page and Youtube channel, website, official Twitter and Facebook account, devlog, crowdfunding, press release, you name it. These are so-called 'organic.' However, money spent on marketing doesn't tell a lie. I believe a useful promotion results in much more revenue than the cost paid.

    I'm mainly looking for promoting my game to actual potential gamers, not developers. So I've thought Twitter Ads is more suitable than Reddit promotion before I read this post (https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/acuivc/this_is_what_happens_if_you_spend_50_bucks_on/).

    $2.5 per 1k views is reasonable I guess, but active engagements around only thirty for $50 is ridiculous. If I sold a copy of the game for $15, I would get just 9 dollars excluding Steam fee and taxes. My goal is to get a purchase of less than a buck. I want more audience are getting trapped into the game, with less than a hundred ratio of engagement to views. Then, what is the potential platform I may use? I will use this to not only acquire new user but also synergize the zero-buck methods.

    submitted by /u/stdev17
    [link] [comments]

    How to Survive in Gamedev for Eleven Years Without a Hit

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 10:18 AM PST

    Screenshot Saturday #423 - Shooting Stars

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:35 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: What is the longest time you've waited in line for something?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Another (defunct) development studio is named the same as my game. Advice?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 06:56 AM PST

    So today, 6 months into developing my game, I discovered that a development studio in Europe has the same name as my game. That studio has released one game (with a name unrelated to my game in any way) on steam with very few sales, and every social media page in their name has been defunct since 2017. It's the actual studio itself that shares (or shared) a name with my current project. So the question is, if they've shut down, do they still have rights to the name? I would just change the name of my game, but it's a highly specific name which suits my game extremely well, to the point that I think sales will legitimately suffer from losing the name. Even if I do get the rights to the name, I'm concerned google searches will turn up their name and cause confusion. I just wanted to come here for any advice or experience people can offer. What would the legal ramifications be if I used the name? Can I trademark it for myself if their company has gone bust? If I DO trademark it, can I request that their old defunct facebook and twitter pages be taken down? I tried to find out if they've liquidated the company but I've been unable to find that info thus far.

    If this wasn't a huge deal for my game I'd just change the name. But the name is so integral to the game's identity at this point that I really don't want to lose it.

    Thanks reddit, I look forward to hearing your insights.

    submitted by /u/ArmedChalko
    [link] [comments]

    Few CC-BY licensed electronic / synthwaveish songs to be used in your game for free

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 06:36 AM PST

    Hi, daily lurker and Sunday poster/gamedevver here giving back to this awesome community! I have made couple beats along the years, you can use/mix them totally free, just by giving attribution.

    You can download the songs from my soundcloud page.

    submitted by /u/kavaari
    [link] [comments]

    Buildings and props in hexgrids

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 12:03 PM PST

    So im making this game, whith hex-based movement. I've come to the point where i wanted to add some buildings and props, but how would one approach to say placing a square building or prop on a hexbased map? The game i'm making is something of an xcom clone but with hexes =)

    submitted by /u/Gix_Neidhaart
    [link] [comments]

    Do you enjoy playing your own games?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 11:55 AM PST

    Does knowing how everything works dull the experience for you? Does it make a difference what kind of game it is? Why or why not? How can creators make their games more immersive for themselves?

    submitted by /u/Bacontoad
    [link] [comments]

    Question about frameworks benchmarks

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 08:03 AM PST

    tips for sprite animation begginer

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 11:48 AM PST

    Hi, folks! I have just started to make animations for my first 2d game in unity with sprites. I'm currently using inkscape to make the sprites, but I would like to know some tips and also the most recommended software for this kind of process, because I'm a little lost... Maybe someone could help me? God Bless

    submitted by /u/hiddenUser313
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start for making cognitive psych experiment program (interaction between video, keyboard, etc)?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 11:31 AM PST

    I'm posting here because I figure it involves many of the same issues as occur in game development (if people have another suggestion of where else to post it, I'm all ears). I have a decent amount of experience doing more data-y programming (R, Python, but usually my I/O needs don't rise above reading and writing csv files or web scraping via an API) but a friend asked me to help them make a psych experiment. Do people have any suggestions for where to start for writing a program to execute a psych experiment (think showing something on a screen for a variable amount of time, then showing something else once they've inputted one of two options on a keyboard, repeat 500 times).

    submitted by /u/willbell
    [link] [comments]

    What game engine for a game like Gothic 1

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 11:26 AM PST

    Hey, i want to make a RPG similar to the game Gothic 1,but I dont know what engine i should use. Can you recommend me some engines?

    submitted by /u/infinitecode9
    [link] [comments]

    HowTo build mobile game article from beginner perspective

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 11:23 AM PST

    What programming language should I start with?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 10:55 AM PST

    Hello! I'm an aspiring game dev, and i'm not sure what language to choose. Everyone keeps saying different things such as "C# is easy to learn for beginners!" or "C# should not be your first language" and the same with others. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Diamond724
    [link] [comments]

    Sound Effects/Music Library CC BY 4.0

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 10:17 AM PST

    I got impressive results with HDRP which includes volumetric settings for procedural sky and fog. Also a new shader included vertex displacement. (Upcoming tutorial in comments)

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 10:15 AM PST

    New to Unity and game developement (dungeon crawler)

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 10:04 AM PST

    Hi guys! First time here.

    Recently I decided to tr create me first complete game by myself. I installed Unity, learn how to use it and start documenting my idea. Right now its pretty simple and not too hard but then come...scripting.

    I'm doing an old-school First-person dungeon crawler and I'm trying to find codes for the controls, the fight (2D turn-based), the inventory and and the interactions.

    I tried to follow a guy on youtube to create a script for the player input but for some reason the codes I'm trying to replicate doesn't seems to work well.

    Do any of you could help me find a simple way to help me with my scripting problem?

    I'm ok with buying, lets say, a pack with script or something like that if its not expansive but something free would be helppful.

    submitted by /u/LePereMecanique
    [link] [comments]

    Factors affecting success of your game

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 10:03 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment