• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 2, 2019

    Resume Advice Thread - March 02, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - March 02, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - March 02, 2019

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - March 02, 2019

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Why are online programming forums so toxic?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 09:21 AM PST

    How come there is so much toxicity and online trolls in most programming forums/blogs?

    I've been interested in programming blogs but stopped shortly after reading 2-3 blog entries on Medium. It's like most programmers who blog try to justify their point of view as much as they can. Some examples are:

    - People who brag about working 14+ hours a day and say that anyone who thinks otherwise is "pedestrian".

    - People who brag about how they are gods because they are a CEO and that junior devs are idiots compared to them.

    - People who brag about how college grads wasted their life by going to college because self-taught web-development is the future and everything else is the past.

    I mean, software development is though as it is, why make it even more hard and depressing by being such a douchbag online? Is this something common or what? Even on this subreddit there are some people like the ones I've metioned... look at the post regarding personal projects, the OP said that someone called him out for not wanting to code 24/7. When I commented on that some people called me out for not wanting to do it too.

    Edit: I wasn't referring to Stack Overflow or Q&A sites where people don't do your homework for you. That's not toxic, that's just the way life goes. I was referring mostly to forums/blogs related to software development discussion,

    for example where people tell you "what you need to know about X" or "what I think about X" and then bash the hell out of everything they don't like.

    Exhibit A:

    This comment on a post on Medium.

    Are people like that Tom common in this industry?

    submitted by /u/AllGunsBlazing97
    [link] [comments]

    Bay Area experienced hire market data point

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 01:08 PM PST

    I'm making this post since I wished that I had something similar to use when I started my interview process and to hopefully help someone else thinking about making a change with some data points.

    Who am I?
    I'm a mobile engineer with about 5 years experience. For the past three years I've been working at Facebook on the FB and Messenger apps, currently as an E5. I also have some startup experience. There are a couple of work projects that I can talk up and sound reasonably impressive but nothing I've done is particularly out there for someone with my experience. I don't have any personal projects. I have a master's from a target school. I do think interviewing is something I'm pretty good at.

    The preparation

    I bought leetscode premium and practiced for 2-3 weeks. I researched as many system's design questions as I could find and I made sure to have prepared answers for common behavioral type questions.

    The phone interviews

    Being E5 at Facebook will let you skip a lot of phone interviews if you ask for it. For the ones were I couldn't the phone interviews were leetcode focused as expected.

    The on-site interviews

    I interviewed at Google, Uber, Lyft, AirBnB and three other companies over a three week period for L5 or equivalent positions. Compared to the last time I interviewed I was surprised at how few leetcode style interviews there were, most companies would have zero or one of that kind of interview. System's design (with a focus on mobile apps) and behavior/career were present as expected. It was *very* common to have a session of implementing a small mobile app on the spot with a follow-up discussion about why you made certain choices and how you would improve your design if you had more time.

    The negation process

    I managed to get an offer from all 7 companies. The negation process afterwards was very annoying as recruiters will use a lot of psychological tricks. The two biggest ones are acting like going to their compensation teams multiple times is a big no-no and will get them in trouble, as well as asking you for a specific number that you're looking for. This makes things difficult seeing as a candidate with multiple offers you're not really looking for a set number but rather the highest possible (combined with the fact that the comp levels now are so ridiculous that you can't really make any sort of claim that you "need" more money). Obviously it's all a big game where you pretend like money doesn't matter that much, but putting up a brave face and just enduring it will result in better offers so you just try to be as nice as possible and communicate updated offers from their competitors as quick as you can.

    The offers

    The final offers had an break down of something like this

    Base: 180K-210K

    Equity (over 4 years): 600K-900K (no noticeable difference between public and private companies)

    Sign-on bonus: Highest I saw was 50K

    Yearly cash/equity bonus: would vary wildly between each company

    As for total compensation (first year including sign-on) the highest offer I got from a public company was a little over 450K and from a private company (one of the three mentioned above) about 500K. I think both of these numbers could've come in a little bit higher if I've kept on negotiating but I was certain the company I decided on had given their final offer so there was no point.

    Happy to answer any questions.

    submitted by /u/Hungry_Radio
    [link] [comments]

    Is freelancing worth it as a career?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:23 AM PST

    Is freelancing worth it as a career? Asking as a fresh grad working his first job in the IT industry as a Software Engineer.

    Also if one were to start freelancing online, where should they begin? How does a complete beginner build their profile in such a competitive market? How do they land projects in the very beginning?

    submitted by /u/SacredShark
    [link] [comments]

    Landing a job with no college internships

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 01:35 PM PST

    I'm a college junior at the moment and I'm beginning to realize, rejection after rejection, that it is overwhelmingly likely that I won't end up landing an internship before I graduate. I've heard some say that it is incredibly difficult to find a job after graduation without having had an internship. I am wondering exactly how difficult it is exactly and what I can do to distinguish myself in my career without having had any internships?

    submitted by /u/awesomega14
    [link] [comments]

    What is software consulting like? For folks who do it, why do you elect to do it over working for a single company?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 06:36 PM PST

    I've heard of folks who do software consulting but it's not something I encounter often as I'm at a CS program and most people here want to work for a FAANG or some other established company. How do people break into software consulting? What is compensation like, and what are the trade-offs of this kind of work?

    submitted by /u/sethosayher
    [link] [comments]

    If a company has a few thousand glassdoor reviews and a ~50% recommended rating should I be worried?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:20 AM PST

    Asking about interviewing at a potential company. Should I take a new job or pass the company?

    submitted by /u/Bulbasaur2015
    [link] [comments]

    Professionals, do you feel like you've become less knowledgeable over the years?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 02:04 PM PST

    I'm a Software Developer working in primarily in backend development at a Bank. I've been in this position for 2 years and while I've been growing as a developer, I've almost completely forgotten about most other CS topics I learned in school like Comp Arch, OS, Networking. Data Structure & Algo, etc. I say this because I'm recently enrolled in an online MSCS and I'm starting to realize that I can't remember any of the CS fundamentals anymore and it's only been 2 years since I graduated uni....

    submitted by /u/OtherwiseBuilding5
    [link] [comments]

    What exactly do backend software engineers do?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:54 AM PST

    Hi all, I'm a freshman undergrad comp sci major, so sorry for any ignorance. I find myself really hating designing websites with html/css/js. In my cs classes I worked with different apis and interacted with JSON files which I actually enjoy. Are backend engineers basically just making apis all day and connecting databases? Do they touch JavaScript, HTML/css?

    submitted by /u/ucics2022
    [link] [comments]

    Relocating for summer internship (min wage)?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 07:38 PM PST

    Hello, I'm a second year going to school in Canada (UofT).

    I got an offer from a company in Newfoundland, they originally were letting me work remotely, but in the offer changed it to on site. I don't really mind moving, but the offer is for $15/hr without any relocating assistance or housing stipends.

    This is for my first internship, I want to take it because I don't think I'll get anything else. But 15/hr seems really low especially for relocating and everything. I was going to email them asking to cover relocation and housing. Any advice on how to move forward?

    submitted by /u/shieldhero1450
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice (background check related)

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 07:15 PM PST

    I've been given an offer at a major company, and I've been hired, with a pending contingency.

    I have to submit identification, forms, etc. that they wish, as part of the process. The only issue in terms of them performing the background check, would be when it comes to my education. My resume listed CS as a combined aspect of my degree alongside with Math. In reality, Math is my only major on paper. I've taken all of the courses (CS courses) that I have listed on my resume. The job asks for education requirement that is CS, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a technical related field; and the job itself is CS related, more so than Math.

    Will this raise an issue with whomever is performing the check? Proof of education has been completed on my end with me uploading evidence that I'm in the major I say I am (Math), but on the resume, it stated CS after a comma.

    I'm kinda freaking out here. I passed the interview, I was selected, and I wanted to pick your brains about this.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/linuxthrill
    [link] [comments]

    About to start a study abroad in Kyoto - what are the best things to do in order to try getting a future job and/or internship here (or Japan in general)

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 07:01 PM PST

    I am trying to think of ways that I can become familiar with the landscape over there as it relates to software engineering / programming and potential employment opportunities within those fields.

    I suppose my question would be the same if it was relating to another country, but I guess I am asking about specific things in Japan that maybe some people might be aware of, experiences working over there, etc.

    Note : The study abroad isn't quite related to computer science, but I am wanting to take the time I have and really try to make some progress in securing an internship / job.

    Thank you !

    submitted by /u/Apellum
    [link] [comments]

    How to improve my skills when I have the memory of a goldfish?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 03:36 AM PST

    I have been a software engineer for 3 years now. What I have noticed is my memory sucks. Sometimes I ask questions to my seniors about code that I wrote months before. It is embarrassing when I ask a question they respond with "didn't you code that <insert question I'm asking> couple months back?".

    I've noticed the successful engineers around me tend to have amazing memory. They can remember every piece of code they've touched.

    I am the opposite. I forget things constantly. I ask questions all the time about things I've touched, and worse, things I coded....

    How do I improve on this aspect?

    submitted by /u/ThanksForTheBuildUp
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to intern as a software QA engineer?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 06:16 PM PST

    I was recently offered a software QA engineer internship and just finished my first week working there. My main goal is to be a developer/SWE though. After reading about QA, I heard that it may "pigeonhole" me into not being able to get a job as a developer/SWE. Should I be worried? I mainly took the job because they gave me an interview and it was a paid internship but now I feel that this may be a detriment to my resume when I apply for developer/SWE jobs :(

    submitted by /u/frank_tman88
    [link] [comments]

    Salary concerns in Orlando, FL

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 07:32 AM PST

    I'm trying to determine whether I'm underpaid at my job in the greater Orlando area. Here's a quick rundown:

    • Salary: $66k
    • Years Experience: I've been at my company since graduating college 6.5 years ago. I started out doing manual QA. Over the past 2 years, I've been transitioning to .NET development in C#. My title officially changed to Software Engineer last year and development is now my primary responsibility. On one hand, I'm like a "junior developer" because coding hasn't been my primary responsibility for very long and I'm under-experienced in some areas. On the other hand, I've been in the world long enough that I understand design pattern, architecture, and other things better than most junior devs. Often, younger devs who have been coding longer will come to me for guidance and I will bring in a more senior dev only if necessary. Also, with my experience and assertiveness at my job, I'm looked to for decisions and design.
    • Education: BS in Mechanical Engineering, Minor in Math
    • Overall Compensation: According to my 2018 benefits report, my company paid $14k toward my healthcare for me and my wife and $2.5k toward retirement (contribution matching).
    • Bonus: No/infrequent bonuses.

    I like my job, but I would feel better if I were making north of $70k. We have a lot of student loan debt and are making good progress on it, but I often wish I could contribute more.

    Thoughts? If you have questions, let me know.

    submitted by /u/askingAsQA
    [link] [comments]

    Love to code, but don't like it as a job.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 06:00 PM PST

    I've been a dev for 2 years now and am in my 2nd position. From my performance reviews, I seem to get told I'm really good. On the surface everything at my current position is good. Good work/life, somewhat interesting work and good coworkers. However, I feel like I don't like coding as a job. I love to code and build stuff, but doing it as a job just sucks the love right out. I think it's the fact that you very little control over things and tools you use or being forced to use the wrong tool because changing it would be way to cost ineffective.

    Any body else in that position? How do you deal with that and does it get better as you rise up from Jr to Sr.

    Is there any other 'tech' jobs where that doesn't happen?

    submitted by /u/Laotiated
    [link] [comments]

    Pros and Cons of working as a Software Engineer in the Tech, Defense, and Financial Services Industries?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:10 AM PST

    I'm curious about the differences between the three industries and where each one excels or is lacking

    submitted by /u/jbern5
    [link] [comments]

    As an Engineer will I be able to get CS Jobs

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 07:00 AM PST

    So I was wondering as a Comp engineer, can I still get all the jobs CS Students get and will the learning I learn from my degree be sufficient or will I need to do some learning on my own as well? And what will I be missing out on if I was taking an engineering degree?

    submitted by /u/ZekXBolt
    [link] [comments]

    Anxiety over things going wrong after signing offer? Am I thinking about it too much?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 05:13 PM PST

    After a long grueling battle with failing interviews, I finally got a full-time offer at a decent company that I really like. I honestly have been thinking about this offer too much, to the point where I'm worried of not working there for whatever reason. Basically, here's a list of what I'm concerned about:

    • What if the recruiter doesn't see that I signed the offer and doesn't provide next steps because of it?

    • What if I don't get the location I wanted?

    • What if during the background check, they see that I'm signed (haven't officially started working yet) at another company, and revoke my offer because of it?

    • What if they run out of spots by the time I sign?

    Am I overreacting and thinking about it way too much? Are these genuine concerns that I should be having?

    submitted by /u/AndroidGuru7
    [link] [comments]

    Graduating in May, feel unprepared

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 05:07 PM PST

    Overall, my degree has focused a lot on databases, networking, and programming. I've never touched a virtual machine, Linux, etc though. Is a lack of this experience going to hinder me? I know nothing about actual computer hardware architecture or any OS other than windows (and I know TONS of companies run Linux). I feel like this is knowledge you should get out of a 4 year CS degree. Is not having this knowledge hindering me?

    submitted by /u/VirulentWalrus
    [link] [comments]

    Is my fear that IOS dev is going to decrease in demand rational?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 05:06 PM PST

    I'm a freshman undergraduate student studying computer science. I tried web dev, but working we html/css/js to design really annoyed the heck out of me. I tried IOS dev before with Xcode and found it a lot more fun!! Plus, I'm interested in back dev, making apis, and I'm trying to get into some research position for computer vision.

    submitted by /u/ucics2022
    [link] [comments]

    Ban on "Outside Interests" in new contract - how enforceable is this?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 04:58 PM PST

    Started a new position a while ago and noticed my contract states I must not "have any financial interest in any other business, trade, profession or occupation (or the setting up of any business, trade, profession or occupation)."

    What business is it of theirs if I start a company, or do some freelance/contract work on the side? How enforceable is this clause?

    submitted by /u/imnos
    [link] [comments]

    Might renege, but just got the sign-on payment

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 04:15 PM PST

    So I just got the sign-on payment check for a signed offer. I'm not going to cash the check, but it details how I'd get about 60% of the payment after tax. If I renege, would it be complicated for the company to cancel the check - because it's treated as income with tax? If I had cashed the check and got the 60% of the payment, and then reneged, would it have been the case that I would have to pay 100% of payment back even though I had only got 60% because of tax - so I'd be losing money in that sense?

    submitted by /u/mimosa2696
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take this BI Developer internship?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 04:14 PM PST

    I am a Junior in college right now graduating in December 2020. I recently got off a phone call with a company that has a Business Intelligence product. It sounds like I will be working with SQL Server, HTML, AngularJS and possibly C#. I am looking to be a software engineer at a big company one day.

    This is my only offer so far and the pay is $20 an hour for remote work. Not sure what my title would be or if this would help me in the future for becoming a software engineer.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/diamxnds
    [link] [comments]

    If I make an app that’s generating revenue how do I get taxed on this? Should I form an LLC?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 04:03 PM PST

    Suppose it's a side project and gaining passive incoming. I work outside the USA as a digital nomad for a USA company: in this context I'm taxed by the state of my domicile. If I launch an app, does it face corporate taxes based on my domicile as well? Would I want to move basically?

    submitted by /u/awhoof
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment