• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 2, 2019

    Google Spreadsheet driven website with Flask and Bootstrap web developers

    Google Spreadsheet driven website with Flask and Bootstrap web developers


    Google Spreadsheet driven website with Flask and Bootstrap

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:13 AM PST

    I often get asked to create small simple sites for people and normally use Wordpress. The problem becomes when people have to learn how to use Wordpress to mange the site themselves. I was trying to make something easier for people to use and came up with this tool. Many people are not that comfortable with CMS's but most can handle a spreadsheet. People use spreadsheets around the office for different things so it is not a new thing that they need to learn.

    Each tab on the spreadsheet corresponds to a page on the site. The title of the tab is the title of the page and also the name of the link in the menu. The order of the tabs determines the order of the menu. Most components on any webpage page consist of some combination of heading, text, image or a link so we created a column for each. The first column you select the type of component you want on the page(jumbotron,map,gallery, etc) and fill in the text for the other elements. For images we just use the url of the image and suggest cloudinary.com as a possible platform for hosting images.

    Demo Website

    Spreadsheet

    From a maintenance perspective, code is in git, each theme has its own git repo, the spreadsheet is hosted by google, images are on a CDN and the only thing that need to be backed up is a simple config file and a custom css file for each site. No database to worry about and people can update the spreadsheet themselves.

    For those familiar with shopify I am planning an integration with the buy button with will generate all your collection and product pages dynamically. No need to create a page for each product/collection like you currently have to do with Wordpress.

    submitted by /u/dshine
    [link] [comments]

    Now that .dev is available, someone has set up emacs.dev to redirect to vim.org and vim.dev to redirect to gnu.org/software/emacs

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 05:12 PM PST

    someone is having a laugh somewhere. like the title says:

    https://emacs.dev will take you to https://www.vim.org/

    and https://vim.dev will take you to https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

    submitted by /u/jallain
    [link] [comments]

    What are some practical, bite-sized JavaScript projects that are useful to build and that would actually help me daily on the job?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 12:10 PM PST

    I'm learning vanilla JS, and I'm getting a bit frustrated with the millions of to-do list, game and calculator projects that every YouTube / Udemy channel suggests for you to build.

    They're boring. I don't have any passion or motivation to build a to-do list. Or a calculator. Or a game.

    I want something that I can use and will be expected of me, as a front end developer, on the job.

    Maybe something that actually interacts with the page / webapp when a user does something. Maybe something that pulls in information locally, or from somewhere else.

    I'm never going to build a to do list, or game, or calculator at a full time job.

    What are some actual, practical, real-world projects that you seasoned JS devs suggest someone build?

    That with those specific JS things you used on that project, would come in handy daily, weekly or monthly at your job?

    submitted by /u/jd0909
    [link] [comments]

    Floating tile effect with CSS/JS?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:28 AM PST

    I am trying to achieve an effect with floating tiles that respond to the position of the user's mouse, similarly to the tiles on https://openai.com/. I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/8756314039380142
    [link] [comments]

    Recreated personal website with Gatsby [Showoff Saturday]

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 02:19 PM PST

    How do you expand skills of junior developers in your team?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 06:38 AM PST

    Hey. I do i have junior developer in my team who is not expanding his skills... at least he seems to struggle with the same and basic challenges in JavaScript all the time. He is not finishing tasks in reasonable timeframe. He seems to be bored with basic and easier tasks, he wants to work on bigger challenges. However, i cannot let him work on task for 3 days which could be finished by senior developer in 1 day max. Still i want to keep his happy. I am sending him a lot of related articles which should help him, answering every question he has but he is not making any progress.... What would you do? Thanks for your tips in advance. George

    submitted by /u/jsifalda
    [link] [comments]

    Any feedback on my resume? I'd like to get a job at one of the big 4 (Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple) and was curious about my chances...

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 01:20 PM PST

    I'm 23 years old and am looking for a new challenge in my career. Specifically, I'd like to work for one of the big 4 tech companies.

    I know these companies are very selective, but I think I have some stand out experience on my resume and was hoping to get some feedback!

    I haven't updated my resume in a year, so this is the brand new version: https://i.imgur.com/nmSyiSM.png

    Would love to know what y'all think :)

    submitted by /u/SimonFOOTBALL
    [link] [comments]

    I no longer want to own my domain name, what will happen when I dont pay? I also didnt pay for privacy, and now my contact info is on whois

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:21 AM PST

    I dont want my contact info on whois, is there any way to remove it? If not, then will it be removed when I relinquish ownership of my domain name? I used Hostgator.

    submitted by /u/PracticalScene9
    [link] [comments]

    RandomDog

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 06:21 AM PST

    I recently came across PunkAPI. An API containing all of the beers brewed by my favourite brewery, BrewDog. So I decided to create an app that picks out a random beer and shows it's details. As a suggestion of a new beer to try. I've called it RandomDog. It's made using Angular and Bulma, as well as PunkAPI. It's pretty simple, but I managed to knock it up in a morning. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/Harris6144
    [link] [comments]

    Best SCSS Frameworks to build upon?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 01:50 PM PST

    I'm looking to build my own library of elements that I can reuse. I'm wondering if there's a good framework out there with a good base/boilerplate that I can build upon? No Javascript included, pure css, ready to extend!

    submitted by /u/vospit
    [link] [comments]

    The Dark Side of the Grid (Part 1)

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 06:59 AM PST

    Feed back on a WP alternative

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 07:38 AM PST

    Hello All,

    I built a CMS that has certain unique abilities. http://ezStack.Systems

    First it must be a tool for non-developers and;

    - Free Open Source - Many will not run closed source tools/apps on their servers.

    - Easily drag and drop functionality - blog, Payment system, form, calendar, survey, etc. Add server assets as easily as ui assets.

    - Self hosted - Most individuals would prefer to own their web content and not sign over ownership to the hosting corp.

    - Allows complete control over the software stack - Choose between different technologies on the front end or back end.

    - Builds via SSH connection - Provide IP to new 'blank' server and the builder would connect, provision and configure server automatically.

    - No code but still have access to code - A user interface to easily add/change functionality and still have access to all the code underneath.

    - Distributed and collaborative - Users can publish and share design assets with each other directly. There is a community sourced repository of assets to consume.

    - Not a platform - No specific run-time platform that you are locked into w/ many others.

    - Access to system level assets - Access to firewall, OS, file systems, etc.

    Obviously this is not a commercial product that can never replace WP but what do you think about the idea of using code generation as opposed to a static platform?

    submitted by /u/MrOCDx3
    [link] [comments]

    Alfred

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:35 AM PST

    Is alfred usefull when it comes to webdev? Do you use it alot? Paid or free? Does it really do a lot more than spotlight?

    I've been thinking about switching and then buying the premium version, but I don't see many advantages, besides the clipboard history

    submitted by /u/Emilek1337
    [link] [comments]

    Hi there web devs - my company is currently investigating whether using Envato Sites for clients with extremely limited budgets would be worthwhile, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience in dealing with Envato/have any feedback they’d be willing to share!

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 03:15 PM PST

    Dynamically sized text about a sentence or paragraph in size to fill the viewport.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 02:42 PM PST

    I'm finding this really difficult to search on. I want dynamically sized text about a sentence or paragraph in size to fill the viewport, so 3 words = big font size, 15 words= smaller font size, and text fills the screen.

    submitted by /u/enteeMcr
    [link] [comments]

    Any idea what is running behind Gab.ai?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 01:45 PM PST

    UI wise looks like a mix of reddit and twitter.

    submitted by /u/kid_90
    [link] [comments]

    wordheart: The search and visualization Engine for Books

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 09:51 AM PST

    Where to look for high-quality HTML templates those days?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 01:29 PM PST

    Recently I'm working mainly on Shopify stores and there is awesome catalog of premium themes that provide enough for good start.

    However, now I'm looking to create quick static HTML site for a friend - on Jekyll and I'm really struggling from finding anything good.

    What "premium" means for me:

    • passes accessibility tests
    • follows good HTML5 practices
    • simple yet not barebones (that's how most Jekyll templates are)
    • has many particles that can be used
    • it's not bloated

    preferably:

    • doesn't use outdated frameworks like Bootstrap 3
    • doesn't depend on javascript (that has to be simple Jekyll page)
    • he's an artist so - it shouldn't look like another "startup"/"saas"/"corporate" page

    Some crisp sites examples:

    Browsing ThemeForest makes me feel like I will never find anything good there. I do not exclude that something nice may be on TF, however, I did not had any good experiences so far, I believe that there is no quality control there?

    I would love your ideas! Thanks.

    submitted by /u/o82
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice on learning how to make Android apps, as someone from a React/JavaScript background?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 01:27 PM PST

    Hello, I am a React/JS dev, with some other web dev experience as well (the typical stuff...PHP, etc). I am interesting in learning how to make Android apps.

    I am currently going through developer.android.com tutorial. Is this the route you would recommend for someone with my background? I don't mind paying a small amount of money for a better learning experience.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/FavreWasAGameManager
    [link] [comments]

    Portfolio Website Image Sizing

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 01:08 PM PST

    Hey everyone, I've been developing a website where I display past projects that I worked on for potential customers to see. One thing that I would like to do is to use a grid system and display in "card" format, the project name, description, image, links to the live site and the design. My question is, how do I go about displaying high quality images but keeping them all the same height and width? Do people generally take the time to use Photoshop to create custom images of same height and width and then upload them?

    For example, Facebook has an image upload system and they fit those images into the same box size. How do I do that? Even Instagram has this system.

    submitted by /u/zakir112
    [link] [comments]

    help finding interesting coding excersises

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 06:40 AM PST

    hello coderss,

    i'm designing a curriculum in webdev for children in need (orphans, refugees who lived a hard life and didn't get a well enough education). i want to teach them HTML, CSS, and JS. what type of easy not boring (no "hello world" and all the cliche begginner excersies) project can i give them? and i'm going to start them with HTML, afterwards go to CSS, and when they master them i'll introduce them to JS.

    thanks in advance :3

    submitted by /u/hanz13579
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling with time needed to make a decent portfolio. Career advice please!

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 02:36 AM PST

    Hi! So, I have 18months experience in my first web dev role and want to start looking for a new position. A lot of my work isn't client facing so for new potential employers, there's not too much to show off. For personal projects, I've got a couple of repos of simple crud apps with Vue and React but nothing overtly impressive / complicated.

    I'd like to build something more advanced to show off but will struggle to put 100 (Or whatever) hours of dev time into an example project during my free time. Is this really necessary though and something I need to push to do? Or will most employers be okay without this?

    I understand it's a hard question to answer with the simple info above but any help or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Schmo12
    [link] [comments]

    Static Site Generator that can handle grabbing directory names?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:12 AM PST

    I'm creating a single page application for my portfolio, and I want to be able to add new portfolio content by adding new folders and content to this folder structure:

    . └── sections ├── Games | ├── Tetris | | ├── content.md | | └── image.png | └── Minecraft | ├── content.md | └── image.png └── Mods ├── Titanic Mod | ├── content.md | └── image.png └── Ocean Mod ├── content.md └── image.png 

    The idea being, I can loop through the sections folder, grab the names of the folders in that directory to create new sections in my portfolio, grab the names of the folders inside the section folder to create named content in that section, and fill it out with its respective image and content files.

    How can I achieve this? I've been looking at different static site generators and I haven't really found an easy way of dealing with content like this. How would I loop through directories and grab their names?

    submitted by /u/Krammn
    [link] [comments]

    Web Developers of Reddit, do you know a cheaper alternative to Adobe Sign for remote contracts?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 07:24 AM PST

    I'm a software engineer and I'm transitioning to work remotely. I'm trying to find the best, most client-friendly way to get contracts signed remotely and A.Sign was an option but it's terribly expensive. Is there either a better way or a cheaper alternative you might know?

    submitted by /u/maikeldotuk
    [link] [comments]

    How to identify the ID of a selected element inside an iframe

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:07 AM PST

    I'm working on a web app which includes a feature that allows users to view a website of their choosing via an iframe (proxy is achieved using python requests to return the raw html of a website and dump it inside the iframe's srcdoc). When a user interacts with the iframe, say clicks a button, I would like to be able to identify the ID of the element they have selected. How would I go about doing this? Would I need to use onFocus() or something to achieve this?
    Any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/ske66
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment