• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 10, 2019

    Daily Chat Thread - March 10, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Daily Chat Thread - March 10, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Daily Chat Thread - March 10, 2019

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Big N Discussion - March 10, 2019

    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big N and questions related to the Big N, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big N really? Posts focusing solely on Big N created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    There is a top-level comment for each generally recognized Big N company; please post under the appropriate one. There's also an "Other" option for flexibility's sake, if you want to discuss a company here that you feel is sufficiently Big N-like (e.g. Uber, Airbnb, Dropbox, etc.).

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big N Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Why unemployment was the best thing that happened to me.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 06:02 AM PDT

    I've seen a lot of people on this forum struggling through unemployment and depression, and as someone who has been through that path, I'd like to offer my own unique perspective as a member of the bottom percentile.

    When I started college, I was 18, lazy and immature. I chose computer science because I saw the movie 'The social network' and thought it was cool, and I also double-majored in some business degree. My objective was purely instant gratification, and taking full advantage of the newfound freedom that was offered to me.

    Most of the time I was barely passing courses, I did try sometimes, but I could never manage to get anything beyond mediocre in terms of marks. I foolishly believed that finding a job wouldn't be difficult because CS was in hot demand and I came from a reputable university. Regretfully, I spent most of my college days playing DOTA 2, Netflix and getting involved in weird-ass subcultures.

    When mid-2018 rolled around and I had graduated with borderline marks and no experience, my pathetic attempts at job-hunting were unsurprisingly met with rejection after rejection after rejection. Looking back now, I have realized that my resume was completely garbage at the time, filled with bullshit like 'Proficient with Microsoft word and Powerpoint' and 'Enjoys playing video games'.

    Anyways, it was during this period where I fell into a state of depression and anxiety. The safety net of college was over and I was thrust into a foreign world. Pressure from family members, as well as watching my peers succeed while I languished, left me feeling like complete shit.

    Throughout the next couple months, I switched gears, I started scouring forums, asking people and reading books. I found out about Leetcode, CTCI and Hackerrank, I grinded the shit out of it. I built anything and did everything I could think of to build my portfolio. Kaggle, Mobile Apps, Websites, WebApps, Hackathons, Tensorflow, AWS, Cloud Databases.

    My study and practice schedule changed from 2-3 hours a day, to 5-6 hours, and soon enough I was consistently pulling around 12 hours a day of study. I was driven and fueled by my despair. Every day was spent min-maxing my output, I would eat meals in front of the computer, listen to podcasts as I exercised and commuted to my library. Music was too distracting so I deleted my entire playlist and replaced it with classical. I used Cold Turkey to eliminate all my distractions and I used toilet breaks to stretch my legs. I cut out all sugar as it interfered with my focus, cut out coffee, and stopped going to the gym because it was a waste of time.

    It was hard, some days I cried at my stupidity because I couldn't get through a LeetCode easy after 2 hours of brainstorming. I limited social contact with friends, and my family. I did burn out sometimes and spend a whole day playing games and watching TV to rejuvenate myself, but that was quite rare.

    But after something like 6-7 months, I rebuilt my resume from scratch filled to the brim with some kick-ass projects and some bullshit college ECs. I carefully crafted CLs for all the companies I applied to, and started sending out applications everywhere, with hundreds of leetcode questions under my belt I managed to slide through some phone interviews and I finally landed a 100k Job.

    I remember my heart racing so fast when I realized that it was over. I sat down on a park bench for an hour and for the first time in a long time, the weight was lifted off my shoulders and I felt I could breathe again.

    Nowadays, I'm working, but I still carry that work ethic with me. I do a bit more social things now with family and friends, but after work and on weekends, most of the time, I continue to study, build on projects and my own skills. I've learned my lesson and I never want to go through that despair again. I am also seeking to pursue a masters degree soon, while working, because I need more work on my fundamentals and a more palatable GPA.

    I took the long way round, but in hindsight, I am grateful for that period of unemployment, because I can honestly say, I have become a far more mature person as a result. For those people who are still trudging through this period, keep going, and perhaps in the future, you'll look back on this moment, your progress and how far you've come.

    submitted by /u/throwaway123u1928
    [link] [comments]

    Huge pet peeve: Leetcode solution submissions that are convoluted one-liners with horribly named variables

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    Why are these so often the most upvoted solution? Isn't the point of leetcode to practice for interviews, where they want readable code that's efficient?

    submitted by /u/gh0bs
    [link] [comments]

    Pathrise: A Warning Sourced From An Internship "Fellow"

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 01:53 AM PST

    tl;dr: Don't join. Even if you don't have good programming skills or networking skills. Everything they share with you, you CAN learn on your own, for free or at the very least, for a price that is more justified than the Pathrise rate. Just grind leetcode, brush up on your social skills, and get out there. Exposure is key. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't join Pathrise, no matter how desperate you are. I cannot stress how useless and a waste of time and potential money signing onto Pathrise is. Be patient, you will get SOMETHING. It may not be Facebook, Google, or wherever your friend is going but, if you put in the effort, I believe something will come your way.

    Why I am writing this post:

    I know there have been some posts about Pathrise before. I am writing anonymously as a current "fellow" at Pathrise. I feel called to write this post because I am nearing the end of my internship search and I feel that Pathrise has not helped me in any way shape or form that is worth 24% of a potential internship offer, regardless of how much I would have gotten paid. I want to help others who are desperate for an internship, avoid the Pathrise trap. They seem to have good intentions but are going about it in a very predatory manner.

    Do all the advisors have strong credentials? Yes, absolutely. Does that make it worth it? No, not at all. If Gordon Ramsey cooked me a McDonald BigMac, I still wouldn't pay more that $3.99 for it. (This isn't a perfect analogy. Yes, Ramsey could cook it in a special way or something but, this is just to help get my general point across.)

    I understand that no part of the agreement between Pathrise and myself guarantees me an internship or job.

    I understand that I am responsible for doing a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of internship searching and application.

    Nothing they say or do will make you better software engineer if you don't put in the work. The thing is, everything they say or do can be found online thus rendering this service a waste of money.

    With that being said, I feel that Pathrise has not held up their end of the bargain, if you can call it that. If I did manage to land an offer, I would say Pathrise had no contribution to helping me land that offer. The advice they offer is generic and can be found online. They, at least my advisor, is mostly unresponsive, ignoring my messages days at a time. My requests for referrals were either ignored or redirected with suggestions for cold-emailing along with more generic advice. I would go so far as to say, everything they teach and "advise" can be condensed into a small book or medium post but, that doesn't make much money.

    I will source and add to the material from u/SCP_ru2ite's post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/ak8y1s/opinion_on_pathrise_worth_it/

    "What is Pathrise? From their website, "It is a career accelerator for students and young professionals that is free until you're hired." Accelerate your career for free until you're hired. Here is a brief list of what their program offers:

    • 1-on-1 meetings for coding/product/behavioral interviews (this is their most useful offering. However, definitely not worth any rate they offer)
    • Info on resumes and online profiles. (the advisors will just nitpick and point out super minor things to make it seem like they know what they are doing + they won't say directly to lie, but its implied to embellish your accomplishments)
    • Info on networking. (also useless. main idea: get yourself and your resume in front of as many people as possible)
    • Info on interview preparation. (leetcode. leetcode. leetcode. seriously, they just use leetcode problems too. many interviews will also just leetcode problems)
    • Info and assistance on salary negotiation. (you can't negotiate as an intern. they will say you can try but, lets be real, you have no power as an intern. Especially if you end up at a big tech company. )
    • Assistance with referrals. (this was their biggest misrepresentation. i asked several times for referrals. they flat out ignored me or changed the subject)
    • Weekly programming sessions. (leetcode. leetcode. leetcode. go to the discuss section of questions if you want to get in-depth explainations)

    As of January 26th, 2019, listed are the percentages you must pay for a full-time position or an internship.

    • A Full-time position requires "9% of the salary of 1-year income throughout six months."
    • A 6-month internship requires "12% of income throughout employment."
    • A 3-month internship requires "24% of income throughout employment."

    Consider an untaxed income of $41,600 a year, respectively $3,467 a month and this is what you would pay.

    • $41,600 * 0.09 = $3,744 (for a full-time position)
    • ($3,467 * 6) * 0.12 = ($20,802) * 0.12 = $2,496.24 (for a 6 month internship)
    • ($3,467 * 3) * 0.24 = ($10,401) * 0.24 = $2,496.24 (for a 3 month internship)

    that internship pay rate is probably what pulls in the most money not because its the highest percentage but, because many of the "fellows" are looking for internships and those in the internship search, are the most desperate for help hence, why they joined Pathrise.

    Edit: according to u/mavenform, Kevin Wu, the CEO of Pathrise, "Interns make up < 20% of our cohorts, have the lowest average salary given their experience level, and have the lowest equivalent annualized income share (6%)..."

    - https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/aze8jw/pathrise_a_warning_sourced_from_an_internship/ei810f8.

    This however, is sourced directly from him.

    Why I joined Pathrise:

    I joined Pathrise at the start my junior year and I've been in the program for 2+ months. I am not disclosing the exact month duration to avoid doxing myself.

    To give some context, about who I am while maintaining anonymity:

    • I go to one of the top public universities in my state and it's CS program is ranked in the top 20 of the US
    • I am currently a third year student
    • I would say I am roughly average (now) in terms of my software engineering skills.

    Since I go to a high tier university, many of my friends, even during freshmen year got internships. I wanted to perform at the same rate as my friends, so I tried applying to internships. I had, at the end of my freshmen year, done 150+ online applications, 3 career fairs, sent roughly 300+ emails to recruiters, engineers, and managers, talked in-person to dozens of engineers, gone through 5 interviews and I still came up empty handed. Of course, this made me desperate so when Pathrise came around, touting their "90%" offer rate, with 10% increase in pay through negotiation, and what seemed like a great support infrastructure, it seemed like a sign from God if you are into that kind of thing. So I signed up, I interviewed and did all the steps to become a "fellow".

    Edit:

    When they first contacted me, the idea of just having an internship was all I cared about. Giving away 1% short of a quarter of my income was overshadowed by my fear of missing out (since most of my friends had one under their belt). It wasn't until about a month into Pathrise that I realized I have been shafted. 24% of anything is a big portion gone especially when you consider the fact that is pre-tax. So depending on where you end up working, you could potentially lose roughly half your income in total after taxes.

    I could just let this all go, wait until the contract expires and be on my merry way but, I hate when people get taken advantage of. I am seeing some of the fellows start getting offers and it drives me nuts thinking that they are going to pay upwards of $3000 for what was essentially a resume revision, a few practice behavioral interviews, and generic advice which can be found anywhere online.

    Edit:

    I want to warn other internship seekers who may be in a similar position and mindset as I am (this why I provided some context as to who I am and why I joined pathrise) to avoid locking themselves in a contract, getting a great internship, and then paying a ridiculous rate when they were already qualified to have that internship without Pathrise's help. They just need some more time to develop their skills and more exposure.

    Other things to note about Pathrise:

    They offer access to a Leetcode premium and various educative.io courses through a single shared account. I get it, it'd be costly to pay for a Leetcode premium for every fellow. It just seems lazy to make everyone use a shared account. At least put in the effort to copy the question and write a solution and an in-depth explanation to premium questions on the Pathrise curriculum homepage. This still wouldn't make Pathrise worth it. I am pointing this out to show how blatantly Pathrise sources their material rather than produce their own curriculum.

    Avoid Pathrise at all cost. No matter how dire your situation may seem, no matter how much value you think you see in Pathrise from the outside, its not worth it because ultimately, you will be doing most of the work and they will just cheerlead you from the side waiting to take a cut of your paycheck once you accept an offer.

    Don't join Pathrise.

    submitted by /u/QuietAccess3
    [link] [comments]

    My 2019 internship stats

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 11:33 AM PDT

    About me:

    • Sophomore at tech school in NJ
    • Two past internships at small companies. One of them was web development in NJ and the other was RPA in NY.
    • I have multiple personal projects on my resume that range from iOS apps to APIs

    Applied: 150+

    Interviews: 2

    Offers: 2

    One of the offers was a Big N and the other was fortune 500. I accepted both and will be taking one semester off for Big N. Luckily, I was recruited very late for Big N so I had time to finish DS & A and do a shit ton of Leetcode.

    I should mention that I was taking DS & A at the same time that a lot of companies sent out their hackerranks and other challenges, so I ended up doing poorly on most of them.

    I experienced my first technical interview which was pretty awesome. If you have any questions for me, please ask away.

    Edit: Big n was FB since people are asking

    submitted by /u/ManIGotBanned
    [link] [comments]

    Homeless developer having trouble finding work.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    I've been searching for probably around 6 months and am nearing the end of my rope. I feel relatively comfortable with interviews, and believe my resume looks decent enough as I've had it reviewed quite a bit.

    In my most recent run I've probably applied to 300+ positions leading to around 10 phone interviews, 3 interviews, and 1 offer.

    Sounds fantastic, however the one offer reneged for whatever reason.

    The reason I'm looking in the first place is that my current place of employment does not pay me enough to afford rent for a room in my area. I've worked here for about two years and have been homeless for a large part of that (Self-employment taxes regularly clean me out and then work will go dormant for a month.)

    As such I do most of my developmental work from Starbucks or what have you. I believe this instability affects the quality of my work and my ability to prepare for interviews.

    I've asked for a raise however because the greater company is not making much I've been denied.

    I've applied for other supplemental work but haven't had much luck. It is a bit demoralizing to apply for jobs not related to my degree, but that hasn't stopped me.

    ...So I guess what I'd love to know here is how I can remedy this situation.

    I'm completely open to relocating, and actually the above offer was in a different state. I'm open to any organization and have applied to private, state, and federal organizations. I have no salary requirements other than that I can at least consistently pay for a room in the area.

    I'm also open to finding supplemental work as I generally dislike being homeless, though this is not my ideal solution. That being said I believe my hard dependence on my current income to survive makes me easily exploitable.

    Added detail: I've been working solo and remote (Me! A Junior Dev!) since I started with the company on generally older tech (WinForms) and worry that greatly affects my marketability.


    A little more personal information below.

    I grew up in and around the greater Sacramento area of California and later found myself attending University near there at UC Davis.

    Around 18 years old I found myself completely on my own. I was lucky to get a part time job around this time which helped my survive throughout school. The job was also unfortunately very inconsistent and seasonal.

    As such I also spent a fair amount of school in and out of my car. Though in retrospect a loan might have helped, I saw it as simply losing more money or enabling a lifestyle I couldn't afford so I chose the car instead. I was also just generally not well informed on the process.

    The plus side of this is that I made it out without student loan debt, though at this point it may have ended up costing me more in terms of potential lost.

    Although I was really proud of my grades given the circumstances I only managed to get around a 3.0. I also generally worked alone because I was scared of any partner I had finding out I was living in my car. I think this ultimately really messed with my confidence career wise and in general, which again makes me exploitable.

    In spite of this I was able to snag an internship in town which helped me get my job out of college.

    I graduated in CS, got my current position a few months later, and having been working semi-transiently since.

    TL;DR I need work ASAP, and am open to literally anything

    submitted by /u/Animonster
    [link] [comments]

    Being a Developer What You Thought it Would Be??

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 08:06 AM PDT

    I have heard all kinds of stories about what it's like to work in this field. Oftentimes you'll hear "Challenges in the development field are not unique to this industry, but also felt by people who work in finance, law, sales, etc." These questions apply to self-taught and more formerly taught developers. Thank you for any insights you're willing to share, have a relaxing Sunday everyone!!

    1. Please provide a little context on yourself, if you're willing (e.g. front end dev for 3 years)
    2. Is being a developer what you thought it would be?
    3. If you have had jobs in other fields, how does the stress level in your dev job compare?
    4. On average, how many hours a week do you work for your job?
    5. As someone who works in the industry, what is your take on the general happiness of people who work in the development space?
    submitted by /u/nocturnalhustler
    [link] [comments]

    Internships for $12-15 per hour.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 09:28 AM PDT

    Had anyone actually done an internship that pays that low? Especially since pretty much all of them do not say they provide housing or anything.

    I just feel like that's so low especially since I'd have to go out of state and pay for a 2nd living space.

    submitted by /u/johntc121
    [link] [comments]

    Is it realistic to get a job as an iOS developer?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 04:03 PM PDT

    Is there a lot of positions available for iOS developers? Or is it mainly freelance work? I am wanting to learn iOS because I think it would be much more interesting compared to learning Java and C++ for desktop application development (my second option via my local college).

    submitted by /u/Ishakkk
    [link] [comments]

    What's it like to intern at Adobe?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 07:40 PM PDT

    I've accepted a summer internship offer from Adobe to work at their San Jose offices this summer and since this is my first time interning at such a big tech company I was just wondering what I can expect from it and if anyone has interned or even worked there before just to have an idea what to expect.

    submitted by /u/fry246
    [link] [comments]

    Is CS getting saturated at the internship/entry level?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 09:27 AM PDT

    I know a software engineer who graduated around 2011-2012, who mentioned that getting a job back then was much easier. Without internship experience, he interviewed at several tech companies and got a job at one quickly growing company. He also mentioned that bootcamp grads were having a relatively ok time since CS was not as big in colleges as it is now.

    Right now, CS is incredibly competitive at my university as the biggest major. I feel very lucky to have gotten one internship, and 2 full time interviews that lead to a job offer. Is there a chance our field could get over-saturated in the future?

    submitted by /u/gethostbyaddr
    [link] [comments]

    Student trying to approach Firmware development

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 03:09 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I am a CS student. I do not really love web development and would like to approach firmware, driver or system development. I do not know where to start ... I know the C language and I've been a linux and openBSD user for years. I would also like to know if the knowledge of electronics is needed in order to develop at this level since im not familiar. I hope someone can enlighten me and give me a good starting point

    thanks :D

    submitted by /u/termgod
    [link] [comments]

    Promoted to CTO and am freaking the fuck out.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 06:26 PM PDT

    So I work in the Valley, and basically have been at a really successful startup with large big name tech company clients as well as a couple F100s.

    I started off like basically everyone else here - finished up my bootcamp, grinded that leetcode/ctci, got a job doing Angular/front end development on the MEAN stack, got promoted to Lead Developer after putting in some serious work, and as of late I got an email from the CEO that he wanted to meet me for dinner Friday night, and broke the news.

    The current CTO practically has thrown in the towel and the board of advisors wants to put me in as the acting CTO until they can find someone, which they said could take up to a few months in the Valley.

    I've been taking on a lot of stress from this. My chest hurts, I've had to use the bathroom several times and am breaking out into sweats.

    I have 0 C-level leadership experience and come Monday, I'll be the Head of Engineering.

    First thing Monday morning, I have to send out a company wide announcement declaring my promotion.

    Then I have to draft a 30, 60, and 90 day plan to the stakeholders and shareholders.

    After that, I have to meet with a client next week to close and sign off on a deal.

    My Engineering Department consists of:

    • 1 Staff Engineer
    • 4 Senior Engineers
    • 8 Junior Engineers
    • 2 Product Managers

    Then there's the Software Sales Department with about 7 people.

    I don't know what to do and I am really restless. Please help me. I have 5 years of experience but it's all technical.

    submitted by /u/BulkyPainter
    [link] [comments]

    I haven't written a single class in the 4years that I've been working as a backend web developer. Should I be worried?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 08:36 AM PDT

    I started my career (and continue) working with content management systems. Because of this, the classes I've used are mostly pre-built (kinda). Each web page type is based on a class and all I have to do is write variables, methods,etc to extract and display data where it needs to be but I don't even need to write SQL statements to extract data. One could say that's actually what writing your own class is but I feel like I'm missing something and not getting real developer experience because of how easy developing with a CMS is. If I were to make a web app without a CMS, I wouldn't be clueless, but I definitely would be uncomfortable. Like first-year-developer uncomfortable, yet I'm 4years into this. I wouldn't know how to design my classes properly or how to do CRUD operations comfortably. Because of this, I feel like an imposter and that my 4 years experience of being a developer is not really worthy of being hired at another shop that doesn't work with CMS.

    Are my concerns valid or am I overreacting? Do I need to leave the CMS world like yesterday?

    submitted by /u/ISO_Life_Advice
    [link] [comments]

    What does a consultant data engineer do at McKinsey or Deloitte?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 03:27 PM PDT

    I often see 80% travel required for those positions. Do they just code at their client site? Or give presentations like strategy consultants? Anyone would like to share their day in the life?

    submitted by /u/AWSnQA
    [link] [comments]

    My development career suddenly ended last week - where to go from here?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 04:49 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Throw-away account due to the nature of this issue.

    Long story short, I was suddenly terminated from my 7+ year development job at a mega-corporation last week. Due to what I basically admit is gross incompetence, I caused what will likely become a several million dollar loss for the company. Without going into specifics, I have already retained an attorney, and I am looking at likely a civil lawsuit and possibly even a criminal charge out of this.

    Basically, my development career is over. Even if I could somehow salvage it at this point, I don't want to anyway.

    My question is - where can I go for a career now that is outside of tech/development/etc? Someplace where my skills might be valued still, but I won't actually be doing this kind of work. My background is a bachelor's with a double major in MIS and accounting and basically all of my work history is software development work.

    I appreciate any advice/leads from others who had to exit the industry.

    submitted by /u/TabDownHold1234
    [link] [comments]

    Travelling to Clients w/ Infosys

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    Hello all, I am just wondering if there are any folks here who work as consultants for Infosys and travel to client sites on a weekly, bi-weekly, etc basis? I am currently working out an offer with them but I have read from others online that they have had issues with Infosys not compensating them either partially or in entirety. They have a client lined up for me but I cannot relocate at this time and want to make sure I am not getting myself into a situation where I am going to be stiffed on reimbursements for corporate travel. They have mentioned that they typically do not provide corporate cards to their consultants (which is concerning for me) and that it typically works on booking flights on a personal card and then them reimbursing you once proper expense procedures have been followed.

    Thank you in advance for the feedback!

    submitted by /u/throwitaway896217
    [link] [comments]

    Tesla Internship Salary

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 08:01 PM PDT

    Has there been any improvement?

    submitted by /u/Enigma_101
    [link] [comments]

    Considering Masters of Engineering in Aerospace. How can I be versatile for CS?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    I have a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and a minor in Computer Science. Instead of getting a Master's in Applied Math, I think I want to do a Research Thesis Master's of Engineering In Aerospace with a strong emphasis on simulations to get my math fix.

    For electives, I would take Machine Learning Theory, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Batesian Statistics, High Dimensional Statistics and a course on optimizing and scaling algorithms for production on massive parallel computing architecture. I would audit Statistical Inference and Audit Generalized Linear Models. Any remaining electives would be in computer science.

    My engineering classes would have partial focus on simulations, and I would heavily emphasize using Partial Differential Equations, Numerical Optimization, Numerical Analysis / Linear Algebra, and lots of Stochastic Processes. I'd take enough courses to be an authentic engineer.

    From other posts on this sub, it seems that a lot of non aerospace and non defense companies would rather like to see you with a CS Master's degree. However, the shared aerospace and CS skills would make me quite attractive to defense contractors.

    I plan to get three or four years experience as an Associate Data Scientist that writes software before starting the Master's of Engineering Degree (I have connections and a mentor to get into Data Science if I work very hard). I would like to work part time as a Data Scientist via a Start Up or contract/freelance employment throughout the Master's of Engineering. I plan to do research and internships during the degree.

    Is there anything you would recommend me to help me prepare myself for software engineering with an Aerospace Degree like I just described? Is the versatility I would be generating good or misguided?

    submitted by /u/HumbleData21
    [link] [comments]

    I’m in high school and I’m really interested in comp sci. I job shadowed a programmer and a few things turned me off. What are your thoughts and am I just being a little out of reach?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 07:04 PM PDT

    First thing is that I really want some freedom. I'm really interested in comp sci for the freedom to be create cool things. How many jobs in the comp sci field allow for that/aren't just fixing or maintaining something.

    The second thing that kinda turned me off was just being stuck in a cubicle all day. I know this might sound kind of childish. I understand that it probably is a little more productive that way, but I feel like that would get old extremely quick and would want something a bit more social.

    submitted by /u/richardsburner
    [link] [comments]

    Should I wait for background check to pass before resigning

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 07:12 AM PDT

    I have a job offer that tells me my start date, which is the 25th. I was informed on the 8th. This new job is contingent on background check and drug test passing.

    Should I resign from current position now to give two-weeks notice or wait until the pre-screening process is complete.

    submitted by /u/wah_ter
    [link] [comments]

    3rd year CS Student soon graduating - A few questions

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 02:37 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm a 3rd year CS university student and I'm about to graduate.

    I have this fear of not knowing how to approach the job hunting stage after losing the safety net of university.

    As you probably know, finishing a CS degree at a good university in 3 years is very intense and time consuming. Personally, I had to sacrifice a lot in order to be able to do it and during these years I didn't have time to work on personal projects, work in an intership and so on.. All I have in my resume is a decent+ GPA (85 out of 100 scale) and a hackathon I participated in.

    Moreover, I haven't started to grind leetcode since I still want to focus on my courses this semester.

    What would you recommend me doing when I finish this semester? How long should I grind leetcode and read ctci before applying to good companies?

    Any other tips to help me not getting lost after finishing this semester would be very appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/sinda7
    [link] [comments]

    Have an opportunity to move more into management -- any advice?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 01:21 PM PDT

    I'm in my early 30s and have been working as a professional developer for around 5 years (I previously made a career change from a different field), 2.5 of which have been at my current job at a mid-sized company. I've received very good performance reviews and was promoted to a "technology" lead role with no direct reports after my first year. At the beginning of this year they transformed it into a "team" lead over the same team with those developers reporting to me instead of the dev manager. Now the dev manager has left, and they're asking me if I would like to be considered for the position. I'm trying to decide what to do. From where I stand here are the pros and cons I can think of

    Pros

    • More money, although this isn't a big motivating factor for me
    • Change of pace with new/different challenges
    • Working directly with other managers with potential for more influence over the company and department direction
    • Likely will be on back-up but won't be in an on-call rotation (being on call can be disruptive and stressful)
    • Figure out if management really is for me

    Cons

    • Less coding (I could supplement by coding more in my free time)
    • Potential for more stress/responsibility, although this one is hard to tell because I'm lead for a core platform right now, which can be quite stressful at times. Sometimes I miss being an individual contributor as it is.
    • Have to oversee platforms I currently know nothing about (although there will be leads for each platform who report up to me)
    • With the current structure, I'd have to oversee 6-7 teams/platforms, which is daunting for someone who just started having direct reports
    • I like mentoring others, but I hate personnel/hr stuff (hiring/firing, interviewing, performance reviews, etc.), although I'm already in a position of having to do that as a lead
    • I'd have to find my replacement

    I'm also worried if I end up hating it that it might be difficult to go back. Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice for making this decision or pros/cons I'm not thinking of?

    submitted by /u/squashofthedecade
    [link] [comments]

    Emmigrate from the UK to the US as a(n embedded?) Software Developer

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 05:03 PM PDT

    Hi! (TL;DR at the botom)

    I'm still an undergrad (and I currently have a very good job lined up for affterwards. With the possibility for various postgrad routes too). It is very much within my interest to emmigrate to The USA (specifically NYC) for the purposes of working and living well.

    The only problem with this is that I can't quite figure out how easy it'll be to acheive this. I'm still young (23m), and I'm bascially the top of my class. I specialise in embedded systems though I can adapt to almost everything (apart from web-front end stuff. I just can't do it. I've been trying for a decade). My dissertation is in C++, but has strong linux elements with some protobuf and other bits and pieces. I have many projects lined up for development in my spare time as soon as the time constraints ease up and I've taught myself /r/homelab type business too (In fact the job I've got is actually working as a sysadmin and developer purely because of my hobbiest/interests). I'm also considering going into business with a coursemate regarding some different business projects.

    My original plan was to graduate. Work for 5 years (as prescribed in the EB-2 Visa requirement), then apply. Some extra googling has shown that this could take a very long time (potentially over a year, even up to 2.5 years). Obviously it's a very long time before I start "moving my pawns into position" and I guess it's very foolish to take too much advice and make too many assumptions right now.

    My studies end within a month or two. It'd be nice to start really delving into what I'd need to guaruntee entry. Either by an employer really needing me or by being able to waive the job offer requirement for the EB-2 visa. OR just generally being very (very) attractive as a candidate citizen and employee.

    As far as what I've been taught I can do everything from hardware synthesis (VHDL) to GUIs (teaching myself WPF). With the exception of fucking web. Seriously I just can't do web front end. I do lots in my spare time and I'm trying to teach myself more embedded. More sysadmin stuff (linux AND windows), Rust, WPF. I'm trying to get into machine learning (and that is an important part of one of my business projects). App development (my knowledge is mediocre at best but growing). I've done devops too in a student-developer placement role I held at Nokia for a year (working in C++ again lol).

    I know I'm very useful here in Britain. But I was wondering how out-of-the-question it is that an employer will hire me - and more importantly wait for me - while I get my EB-2 visa. Or is all of this actually totally moot and I infact don't technically need to wait? Obivously It'd be nice to be head-hunted by Google or equivalent so they can sort it all out for me lol.

    (Ultimately my knowledge lacks in windows development and front end web development)

    TL;DR: How do I make myself as attractive as possible to the US and to an employer to the point that they are willing to wait for me. Is it actually that long a process? ShoulD I worry that much or just make sure I keep doing what I'm doing and stay generally up-to-date?

    Cheers

    P.S. Sorry for the wall of text I was just hoping I could get all the information required down.

    submitted by /u/WinterNikita
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment