• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 24, 2018

    Would you be interested in a animated series explaining programming languages in 15 minutes? learn programming

    Would you be interested in a animated series explaining programming languages in 15 minutes? learn programming


    Would you be interested in a animated series explaining programming languages in 15 minutes?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 03:27 PM PST

    The title says it all, i thought about doing something like that for a while and i would like to know if anyone would find that interesting so that i have a motivation to spend the time to write a good enough script and make the animations. I want to try and make a video comprehensive enough so that someone could understand how to make a program from the complete basics to more complicated things in 15 minutes for each language, and after that do like a part 2 for every language where i make a game using the concepts that i thought in the first part. I wanted to start with the harder, older stuff so something like Assembly and continue with more and more modern languages. If everything goes to plan and i find someone interested until February i think i'll have something decent enough up on youtube :), but i was wondering what you guys think?

    submitted by /u/UnKeptPort
    [link] [comments]

    Finally, finished my Snapchat Clone!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:41 AM PST

    Hi guys, I have just finished building a Snapchat clone, and wanted to share it with you.

    It took me a lot of time, around 2 mounts, but I have finally finished it. I learned a lot during this project, and I want to share it with you. For anyone who is learning android, there is a lot stuff here, a lot of simple stuff I wish someone had told me. I was stuck a lot because simple things, Like app not working cause of firebase rules, you cant sent images in intent, camera2 is horrible to work with. But I have learned a lot of nice tricks, and I hope that this code can help some of you learn something new.

    You can check the code [here](https://github.com/Stoick001/SnapchatClone).

    And here are some [screenshots](https://www.flickr.com/photos/162237705@N03/sets/72157703858053404/).

    EDIT: Just wanted to thank everyone, i really love this sub, cause everyone is so nice and supportive, thanks again.

    submitted by /u/Stoick01
    [link] [comments]

    What are some online courses that you would recomend for learning computer programing?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:20 AM PST

    I would love to know from people with more experience if there are any online courses that they would recomend.

    submitted by /u/Alpha_Tauros
    [link] [comments]

    How to begin CS50?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 09:59 PM PST

    I've decided to devote 2019 to spending at least 2 hours per day learning how to code

    Maybe at the end of the year I can begin transitioning to a new career, or at least have a more defined target of what job I would like to shoot for. I currently have an unrelated associates degree.

    Ive been doing some research and I think Harvard's CS50 course looks great. Am I just supposed to watch the lectures on youtube and do the assignments they say? do I register or... anything else? Everyone says "take cs50" but I can't find much info on how to actually do that.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/ALotter
    [link] [comments]

    Any good project-based udemy courses recommended?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:15 PM PST

    I am thinking to take some courses that guide you to build a software project. Not just a toy app, but something can be mentioned in the resume.

    submitted by /u/fanju45
    [link] [comments]

    FreeCodeCamp

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 06:35 PM PST

    I recently decided to change direction a bit. I'm going to go through the FreeCodeCamp curriculum. I don't really know anyone in real life that I can talk to about programming, and was wondering if anyone wanted to go through the curriculum with me. Send me a message if you're interested. Have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/wat3rm310n
    [link] [comments]

    Where to find co-contributors (and bipolarity-managers) for a FOSS?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:57 PM PST

    I know how to pull requests in Github and ask for help with my code, but I'm just not sure a pull request will do what I want. I want someone to be my co-contributor, a teammate, if you will. I'm planning on making a free version of Scrivener and I need someone to:

    1- Learn together (C++ and Qt).

    2- Jump ideas off each other. (important)

    3- Create the website, if needed.

    And many things more. In short, I want a conduit in West who will also be my learning partner, and creative partner.

    If you're not happy with C++, I can change to Python but C++ is a much better desktop app language than Python.

    I also have bipolarity. This disease requires me to start projects, then leave them in the midst of progress, negative or positive. I need someone to remind me that I can finish this project. I have started many projects alone, and left them in the middle of the most glowing, positive progress because I just felt depressed.

    Also, if you know A LOT of Qt, you're welcome, but I need someone to learn with me.

    I know this might not be the place to advertise for partners, but I just did in case someone is interested. I'd also like to know where "free software" teams find each other. Thanks a lot.

    Rewards: my partner can start a donations page, and keep 2/3 of the mula. Fair ain't it? I will promise, I will do most of the work. I just need someone to keep me in check. This wretched disease.. I might stop caring about this project at any minute. Grab a piece while it's hot!

    Edit: you can keep all of the mula, if you want! Just help me finish a project! For once in my life I want to feel the sense of accomplishment that everyone feels!

    submitted by /u/Lithy_Eum
    [link] [comments]

    Formatting of CSS selectors

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:56 PM PST

    I just started learning programming on Khan Academy and I noticed that they format their CSS selectors like this:

    h1 {
    color: rgb(0,0,0);
    }

    instead of like this:

    h1 {color: rgb(0,0,0);}

    Is there any reason for this?

    submitted by /u/your_worm_guy
    [link] [comments]

    C help for arduinio (NodeMCU and MQTT) to finish my chicken coop door

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:56 PM PST

    So i have a small problem with my code, or my brain to be honest.

    The problem im trying to solve is to have a automated chicken coop door that i can control my home automation system (Hone Assistant).

    This is the code so far and it's ugly but it works ;) T

     if ( (char)payload[0] == 'U' ) { delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinDown, LOW); delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinUp, HIGH); limitState = digitalRead(limitPin); if (limitState == HIGH) { digitalWrite(relayPinUp, LOW); } } else if ( (char)payload[0] == 'D' ) { delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinUp, LOW); delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinDown, HIGH) 

    And my thinking is that i can nest a nother IF statement as seen above to break the digitalWrite but it refuses to work, and I tried to creaste a new if in the void loop but that just ended up looping in infinity.

    My last attempt was a to send a S payload when the limit switch changed state and add a else if statement that was

     else if ( (char)payload[0] == 'S' ) { delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinUp, LOW); delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinDown, LOW); 

    But that did not relay work ether :(

    So reddit you are my only hope!

    All the code - the secrets :)

    #include <ESP8266WiFi.h> #include <PubSubClient.h> const int relayPinUp = D2; const int relayPinDown = D5; const int limitPin = D4; const int ledPin = D6; int limitState; WiFiClient espClient; PubSubClient client(espClient); void setup() { pinMode(D2, OUTPUT); // relayUP pinMode(D5, OUTPUT); // relayDOWN pinMode(D4, OUTPUT); // limitPIN pinMode(D6, OUTPUT); // ledPin Serial.begin(115200); WiFi.begin(ssid, password); while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) { delay(500); Serial.println("Connecting to WiFi.."); } Serial.println("Connected to the WiFi network"); client.setServer(mqttServer, mqttPort); client.setCallback(callback); while (!client.connected()) { Serial.println("Connecting to MQTT..."); if (client.connect("ESP8266Client", mqttUser, mqttPassword )) { Serial.println("connected"); } else { Serial.print("failed with state "); Serial.print(client.state()); delay(2000); } } client.publish("chickencoop/door", "ChickenCoop door is Online"); client.subscribe("chickencoop/door"); Serial.print("Pin Status "); Serial.println(limitState); } void callback(char* topic, byte* payload, unsigned int length) { Serial.print("Message arrived in topic: "); Serial.println(topic); Serial.print("Message:"); for (int i = 0; i < length; i++) { Serial.print((char)payload[i]); } if ( (char)payload[0] == 'U' ) { delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinDown, LOW); delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinUp, HIGH); limitState = digitalRead(limitPin); if (limitState == HIGH) { digitalWrite(relayPinUp, LOW); } } else if ( (char)payload[0] == 'D' ) { delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinUp, LOW); delay(100); digitalWrite(relayPinDown, HIGH); } else { delay(500); Serial.println("Error"); delay(500); digitalWrite(relayPinUp, LOW); delay(1000); digitalWrite(relayPinDown, LOW); } } void loop() { client.loop(); } 

    submitted by /u/_j0nas_
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make mute commands with my discord bot?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:54 PM PST

    I am making a discord bot using Discord.js 11.4.2. I am trying to figure out how to make the mute command. I tried editing the ban/kick examples at discord.js.org since it looked like I can edit it and it would work. This is the code I'm trying to use.

    bot.on('message', message => {

    if (!message.member.hasPermission('BAN_MEMBERS'))

    if (!message.guild) return;

    if (message.content.startsWith('!!mute')) {

    const user = message.mentions.users.first();

    if (user) {

    const member = message.guild.member(user);

    if (member) {

    member.addRole(guildMember.guild.roles.find(role => role.name === "Muted")) {

    }) then(() => {

    message.reply(`Successfully muted ${user.tag}`);

    }).catch(err => {

    message.reply('You either have no permission for that or I was just unable to do it');

    console.error(err);

    });

    } else {

    message.reply('That user isn\'t in this server!');

    }

    } else {

    message.reply('You didn\'t mention the user to mute!');

    }

    }

    });

    Can someone help me? Btw please don't give me links to discord.js.org.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/SplatAttak
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to learn to programming in my case python and javascript?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:52 PM PST

    I have some basics in both languages and usually, I end up editing existing codes.. but sometimes those codes are so complex that I give up. Why I take complex codes, is because I set up different sensors for Pi3 (python) and use javascript for the web stuff.

    I know I have to go step by step, but what would you suggest, the best approach of learning programming language? Should I get some free guidance, tutorial online or paid?

    I also realized that some people code JS and Python differently in a complex way, whereas if I look at the same code with the same end results in the different source it's much smaller and simpler. Why?

    Regards

    submitted by /u/jamesftf
    [link] [comments]

    For cs majors interested/enrolled in other majors as well - are they a waste of time/worth the investment?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:35 PM PST

    Repost from cscareerquestions - looking for broad input

    I'm not the best programmer but I'm also interested in studying English/Philosophy to communicate effectively/have convincing arguments. I have a variety of interests and think I'd like to write books on subjects that are still in development/do research on niche areas. Should I stick to CS entirely first before branching or double major? I am also an artist so the development of these three skills often combat one another in time management. Thoughts? I think long term these skills will accumulate value but I probably won't be very competitive in the job market after graduation given the distribution of time. Ultimately, I want my personal work to be meaningful, well-communicated, and draw from a solid base of research which can be traced/referenced whether it comes in the form of an illustration, application, or book/article. Alternatively, I can self-study these topics but not have an academic background.

    submitted by /u/liquidcarbs
    [link] [comments]

    I work with embedded systems, how can I learn to interact with smart home systems like google home?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 07:44 PM PST

    How can I set up my system to interact with smart home devices? I'm currently using msp430's which have no OS and has very low level control. Do I need to move up to something running something like embedded linux?

    What is the easiest way to get started?

    edit: is this too advanced a topic for this sub?

    submitted by /u/Montzterrr
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple Runtime Permissions in Android Without Any Third-Party Libraries

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:26 PM PST

    How do I make my web page look same on higher resolution screen as it looks on standard resolution screen?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:17 PM PST

    I am doing FreeCodeCamp's responsive web design challenge (Product Landing Page) and made this Web page. The page looks exactly how I wanted it to look on 1376 x 768 resolution screens, but when I view this page on 1920 x 1080 screen resolution (using chrome's developer tools), everything becomes stretchy. So, how can I make this web page look similar on 1080p screen to what I see on 768p screen?

    submitted by /u/Niklaus_MK
    [link] [comments]

    Does this function actually help Fibonacci sequence calculate faster?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 07:14 PM PST

    I thought if we added a cache to the Fibnoacci sequence, it'll help the recursive function run faster. But it doesn't. It takes shitload of time to calculate fibonacci_cached(50). I know I didn't actually change the time complexity, which is still n2, but I thought a cache would help, right?

    num_list = [] def fibonacci_cached(n): if n == 0 or n == 1: return n fib = fibonacci_cached(n-1)+fibonacci_cached(n-2) if fib in num_list: return fib else: num_list.append(fib) return fib print(fibonacci_cached(10)) 
    submitted by /u/Lithy_Eum
    [link] [comments]

    In a Jupyter notebook can you import a python file from a subfolder?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:51 PM PST

    Let's say I have a folder "Main".

    Within that folder there is a folder called "subfolder".

    If I open a Jupyter Notebook in the folder Main, can I import all the functions from a python file in "subfolder"?

    In order to import a csv, for example, you'd just have to do read_csv('subfolder/filename.csv'). Is there an equivalent to that when you're trying to do

    from file_in_subfolder.py import *

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/democraticwhre
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone here used the New Instagram API to fetch data from their user's account?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:47 PM PST

    I am working on a website, and It needs to access posts from the user's account.

    So far I am in development mode, and I have just installed login via facebook.

    The next thing is need is instagram_basic product. After submitting to get access to instagram_basic, I got this reply

    Your screencast does not show a test user logging into Instagram in your app. Please update your screencast to show the complete login experience.

    My Understand was I need Instagram APIs to log in, but I am not sure now.

    the documentation is very confusing. Like for instance, the image in the section "4. Add Instagram API" is not updated. I can't find that "View Notes" button on app dashboard when I look for it.

    LINK: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/instagram-api/getting-started/#instagram-api

    Has anyone tried to access Instagram Data using the new API?

    Any/all help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/This--Ali2
    [link] [comments]

    learn java arrays

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:42 PM PST

    I am taking ap computer science a and learning arrays.

    The programming language is Java. Is there free resources to learn 1-Dimensional and 2-Dimensional arrays? And practice? Anything to teach me arrays.

    Also, anything to prepare for ArrayLists would be great but, 1-Dimensional and 2-Dimensional arrays are priority.

    submitted by /u/tridentcali
    [link] [comments]

    Java/APEX Holy List of Commands

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:21 PM PST

    Hey There Programmers!

    I'm still new to this whole thing. I'm starting to get a handle on the basics. I am able to set up a basic class in Java and build a few things out.

    My largest question now is what to do with all of the methods that can be executed on objects. There are so many that I don't know and I don't always know when I am missing a piece. One tutorial in APEX (Salesforce's coding, basically Java) had something like 30 new methods in a single 45 minute block. Do I basically just keep referencing back to these as I use them until I have them memorized? Is that a fair way to approach all of the different possibilities?

    submitted by /u/Voxmanns
    [link] [comments]

    Website building

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 09:42 PM PST

    After writing html code how would I start implementing Java and other things to my website to make it better?

    submitted by /u/AmNotFester
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to develop a fully front end web application, where to start?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 09:41 PM PST

    Hello, I'm quite a novice web developer and have done up some wire frames / designs for a small web application I want to develop to improve my skills. I want it to be fully, or as much as possible, client side as the app will be encrypting and decrypting very sensitive information, with the help of Web Crypto API, for the users as well I'd like it to be possible to run it completely offline once the app is loaded in the browser - advice on doing this would be much appreciated also.

    What languages / frameworks would people recommend ? I currently only have knowledge with HTML, CSS and js. I was considering using react purely because I've seen other client side web apps that deal with sensitive cryptography using react but unsure if this is the best way to approach the project.

    submitted by /u/Electric_sheep01
    [link] [comments]

    Building a little Java/Android developer learning kit with Udemy courses. Critique my picks?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 09:33 PM PST

    Udemy is having a sale. I've already learned this is nothing new, but I like the idea of having a curriculum of sorts lined up. Courses appeal to me more than books re: learning style for starting out, though I ill gladly incorporate both in time.

    My goal is to get an entry level job in Android development in 2020. My experience is virtually zip. I'm about a week into a Java course with no other programming experience, but I like it and want to push. Obviously step #1 is learning and practicing Java, but I've tried to go through job listing for junior Java developers and pull out skills that I should be learning and keeping on my radar to make myself employable.

    Below is the list of topics I came up with, for courses that were reviewed highly. How does it look? Is anything way off the mark? Can you recommend better guided study on these topics, free or otherwise? Most importantly, what am I missing if I want to end up with a job?

    List, in no particular order:

    Critique appreciated, but try not to come down too hard on my possibly misguided beginners enthusiasm. I do anticipate supplementing all of the above with trying my own projects and using free resources sources.

    Thanks for any feedback.

    submitted by /u/l0te
    [link] [comments]

    Learn Angular vs React vs Vue for C#/.NET developer

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:19 PM PST

    I've been reading tons of stuff on pros and cons of those 3. As of Junior back end developer I don't have any front end experience and I wanted to pick one of those 3. Which one would is more popular with the .NET stack? I know it's not Vue but I'm still considering it.

    submitted by /u/jjsreddit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment