• Breaking News

    Monday, November 26, 2018

    What did I did wrong? Ask Programming

    What did I did wrong? Ask Programming


    What did I did wrong?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:08 PM PST

    Hi first of all, If I have a gramatical error, please tell me, I'm not a native english speaker.

    Second, I would like to hear you opinions and I want to let it out.

    I study Computer science, I've been working for 3 years now, and my past works allow me to learn how to become a software designer - design code and the infrastructure the code will work on -.

    6 months ago 5 of my schoolmates and I were hired by a startup to make a system, after the first month I became the leader of the team because I had more experience - my boss doesn't know much about programming either -, I started designing the infrastructure and also designing the architecture of the code - design patterns and stuff - and because we were few people I also became the manager of the team.

    We work really hard to make the startup come to float and I mean really hard, and so far we are on track and started some testing and all seems to be working but we are always behind schedule, mostly because my boss promises more that we can make and I also I feel like I've been failing as a manager - my design work It has proved to work -, I can't make my teammates work efficiently sometimes because they don't know what they have to do - I spend couple of hours every day explaining them how to do stuff - and sometimes because they are lazy. I tried to implement scrum and didn't work because everyone staid behind schedule except me and sometimes one or two - I'm not saying that to brag about me, that's the reality, I don't think I'm better I have more experience also they choose the time they think they needed for the task and fail -, most of the time I ended up doing their work because they couldn't finished and that cost me time I needed to manage the team and organize work stuff.

    And now some random lucky guy came saying he wanted to make more projects - which he has not make anything- and my boss appoint him as the manager of the whole startup- he has read books about managing a team but he has not any working experience - and I feel like shit, I been breaking my back to make this whole thing work I design everything and trained everyone I also feel bad because I feel I failed if I had been a better manager or if I had fire someone and search someone better.

    I feel I wasted a lot of time, this was my opportunity and I lost it, I shouldn't worked that hard, all the time I lost working extra to really create something amazing so that someone comes and takes all the credit.

    submitted by /u/Fransebas
    [link] [comments]

    Meaningful software development?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 02:58 PM PST

    I'm studying software development at a bachelor's level, and recently I've been visiting a few of the bigger local software companies, and most of them seem to mainly be developing e-commerce sites of one type or the other. I feel like making those for a living would be a horribly meaningless existence, in a world with so many real issues to solve, like environmental issues, poverty, etc.

    I feel like I need to do something to help with issues like those, but I've got no idea what kind of organizations specifically you really could work with, what issues essentially need (or could benefit from) better software, or what kind of open-source projects I could contribute to.

    Or on the other hand, if you're a similarily minded dev, how have you gone about with your career, or found meaning from your skills?

    (Probably asking some people in the industry in my area might be more useful for me, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. One of my friends had a project as a consultant, IIRC restructuring the databases of a non-profit that helps children domestically, that's something like what I had in mind.)

    submitted by /u/Hogis
    [link] [comments]

    Could anyone who works in the field answer a few questions for a class for me?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 04:27 PM PST

    If you could DM me and say what company you work for, I'll send the questions to you. Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/evan3138
    [link] [comments]

    Intro Book/Program for Programming

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:01 PM PST

    Are there any recommendations for books/programs that can teach the basics of programming? I'm starting my first college programming class in the spring and I'd like to have a head start.

    submitted by /u/JS4747
    [link] [comments]

    Would there ever be a reason to program in Machine Code?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 08:39 AM PST

    Apologies if this is a dumb question: I'm fairly new to the nuances of programming. I'm thinking about the structure of computing and programming for an academic work and wanted some help.

    Would there ever be a reason that a programming language couldn't "do" something that would require programming at the level of machine code? For instance, a function that does not exist within a language and, to program the function, one would need to first "create" the function by programming the function at the level of machine code?

    I appreciate this question is fairly abstract. I can try and provide more detail if needed. Many thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/NotWallace
    [link] [comments]

    Basic statistics with R

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:06 PM PST

    I am taking a bunch of data from csv's and running some basic stats on it; Shapiro-Wilks test, ANOVA, t-Test, Mann-Whitney, and Kruskal-Wallis. So far I've just read in the csv but the program I'm using outputs the data with a bunch of other data that I don't need, in some other columns. Is there a fast way to only select certain columns as well as running the tests on every x rows of data?

    For example, I'll have 30 rows of data for one experiment, then rows 31-60 will have another experiment that I need to run separate stats on, etc. I haven't found any decent ways of doing this and a lot of the documentation seems a little complicated. Should I just use excel or is it possible to quickly learn to do with R?

    Any advice is appreciated

    submitted by /u/gabensucksass
    [link] [comments]

    What coding language will bring you the most money?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 05:22 PM PST

    Client API Requests

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 10:51 AM PST

    What's a good, extensible, clean way of organizing and structuring your client's API requests? Obviously you don't want to just call the raw request() function at random points in your code, it seems like this should be abstracted away in a more user friendly and type safe way that is also easily extensible. Any tips? I'm curious about how this is done in large production apps. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/DerpDick90
    [link] [comments]

    Need Math book

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:46 AM PST

    I need to read a "math novel" for my IB higher level math class. We need to make a timeline and write reflections on it. I want to find a book on programming, be it ML, crypto etc to read for my project. Im having trouble finding one that talks about the math as well. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/deejpake
    [link] [comments]

    How does one go about implementing a VoIP system?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:12 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm looking to throw together a mockup of a practice project I have been thinking about for a few months now. The only reason I haven't yet is I would need to essentially fully flesh out a VoIP system for the app, and I don't really know where to start with assessing my options here.

    The project is a mobile app, for these early purposes (and probably forever after) on Android. It has most of the functions of a server-based VoIP system, like Teamspeak or Discord. As such, the primary features concerning VoIP are the ability to route through a central server for distribution to anyone connected to that particular voice line, and the ability for users to drop in and out of the "call" (chat room) at will. If you assume I want to write Discord from the ground up, you wouldn't be far off.

    I'm really bad at researching these sorts of things (I'm just a college student, OK?). So far, it looks like most of the packages available are directed at peer to peer calls with a rigid start/end structure, more like Skype, which wouldn't work for what I need.

    Do any of you know of a particular pack or service that would work for me?

    Lacking that, what are the search terms I should be using to find packages or services for this purpose?

    Are there any good open source projects like mine I can poke around the guts of?

    submitted by /u/Verdiss
    [link] [comments]

    Cost of many Javascript timers

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 07:02 AM PST

    I have an application that has a large number of objects that each have a setInterval() call to execute a function. If I consolidated all of those setInterval calls into a single timer that calls the functions for all of those objects at once, how much would this optimize my application?

    submitted by /u/The_Starfighter
    [link] [comments]

    JNI Errors

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 02:00 PM PST

    I just started learning Java about 5 minutes ago, and can't get my class file running, everytime I enter "java (filename)" into the command prompt I get the following error:

    Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again

    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: apples has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

    at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)

    I can't for the life of me find any solution online.

    submitted by /u/Anglogang
    [link] [comments]

    How to Let Users Upload Files on a Website and Receive Modified Input?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:41 PM PST

    What I'm trying to do is create a website function that allows users to upload a file and then receive feedback based on the file that has been uploaded. I'm not too familiar with web development, but I have a functional website built through WordPress. Does this involve "backend" work?

    For a basic example, a user submits a pdf file that is turned into text, then text is returned with every word sorted in alphabetical order. I was planning to use python to perform the intermediate operations. The issue for me seems to be that WordPress only supports HTML/CSS/PHP and I'm not sure how to integrate Python or file uploads into the website.

    Please let me know what steps need to be taken to make this goal possible. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Indomat64
    [link] [comments]

    Simulating a Cluster on One Machine

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:53 PM PST

    I have a Go server written that is meant to be a node in a cluster. What would be the best way for me to systematically setup a cluster of these servers of varying sizes? I originally had a for loop that started goroutines but my understanding was a bit flawed and you can't start and stop goroutines in the same way that I had hoped. I thought about LXCs but it is unrealistic running 1000 containers on 1 machine. I also ideally need an easy way to collect the output so I was hoping the goroutines would work, but I might have to find another method.

    submitted by /u/nullifies
    [link] [comments]

    Could I ask a few questions to anyone who works with data analysis algorithms?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:34 PM PST

    I have a paper for school, about ethical problems in big data analytical algorithms, and how to avoid biases, and what issues biases bring into normal day life. If anyone could answer just a few questions I would be very appreciative, just DM me your email and after I get out of my next class I'll email you the short list of questions. Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/evan3138
    [link] [comments]

    Super naive question - possible to make a program that disables features of another program?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 08:34 AM PST

    Hey everyone!

    This is probably a very silly question so I apologize in advance - I tried google but I think I'm wording it oddly so not coming up with what I'm looking for

    I was wondering if its possible to create a program that disables certain features of another program (that I don't own)

    Its a database application and want to disable being able to review reports until x bits of data have been collected

    Is this possible or because its a 3rd party software attempting to alter, not so much?

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/startcanna
    [link] [comments]

    Help in data structures and algorithms.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:18 PM PST

    Runtime complexity for a while loop with multiple comparisons

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 08:21 AM PST

    Let's say I've got a while loop that checks if i is bigger than 0 and if j is bigger than 0:

    while(i>0 && j>0) {
    }

    How is this counted? I know that a while loop with only one comparison has one command per check while looping (with one added command at the end, when it evaluates to false). Does this loop always check both, even if i>0 is already false?

    Not asking for O(n) notation, only asking for amount of commands in the while loop head.

    submitted by /u/ReaperOverload
    [link] [comments]

    How Do You Create a Program in Java That Counts Letter, Words and Sentences?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:52 AM PST

    This is what I have so far. As you can see it is very messy and unrefined. I want to know how I can parse through the string as well as use an array to make this easier. I would really appreciate the help.

    package countingprogram;

    import java.util.Scanner;

    public class CountingProgram {

    public static void main(String[] args) {

    Scanner sc = new Scanner(System.in);

    int county;

    int count=0;

    System.out.println("Simple Java Word Count Program");

    String str1 =sc.nextLine() ;

    char ch;

    System.out.println("Letters: ");

    for (ch = (char) 65; ch <= 90; ch++) {

    county = 0;

    for (int j = 0; j < str1.length(); j++) {

    if (ch == str1.charAt(j) || (ch + 32) == str1.charAt(j)) {

    county++;

    if (county > 0) {

    System.out.println(ch + ": " + county);

    }

    String[] wCount=str1.split(" ");

    for (int i=0;i<wCount.length;i++){

    if(!wCount[i].isEmpty())

    {

    count++;

    }

    if (!wCount[i].isEmpty()) {

    System.out.println("words = " + count);

    }

    }

    }

    }

    }

    }

    }

    submitted by /u/adrix88
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone help me understand the input/output of this hackerrank problem.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 07:19 AM PST

    I have received this challenge as an assignment . I looked at the discussing on the website but still I'm not able to understand how the input/output of this problem works.

    If I grasp the concept then hopefully I'll be able to solve the problem.

    Here is the link

    https://www.hackerrank.com/challenges/far-vertices/problem

    If anyone can help, it'd be great, thankyou

    submitted by /u/ihaxxan
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to make a Geo-Coordinate program

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 06:25 AM PST

    I'm trying to make a Geo-Coordinate program(as the title suggests), and I'm stuck on a few things. Firstly, is the program to write it in. I am at about GCSE level of Python, and have made pretty much nothing in any other languages, but am willing to learn stuff like Java, HTML or C++. Secondly, if I'm going to make it a program rather than a website(still deciding), I need to be able to access a database with visuals(maybe?) or just have a location name when someone inputs co-ordinates. Basically, to summarise, I don't know where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I will likely need help again in the future as I am incredibly interested in computing even though I lack in skill currently.

    submitted by /u/FlamingDinoPug
    [link] [comments]

    x86 Assembly Language

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:10 AM PST

    Trying to run a NASM program but I get the error: Floating point exception (core dumped) What might be the issue?

    submitted by /u/mwangianthony
    [link] [comments]

    Why do links to YouTube show up as youtu.be?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 04:13 AM PST

    I hope this is the right subreddit for this. Btw I'm on mobile. Might have something to do with it.

    submitted by /u/lead-based-life
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment