• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 17, 2018

    Website notifications and how webdevs are screwing them up web developers

    Website notifications and how webdevs are screwing them up web developers


    Website notifications and how webdevs are screwing them up

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 11:47 AM PST

    Website notifications are in a terrible state. Notifications should be sought out by the user and subscribed to after they have visited the site at least once! Not when they have just come to the site!

    Think about how annoying it is when someone visits your site for the very first time and they immediately see a pop up asking them if they want notifications. Why would anyone want this? They don't even know about your website, your content, or what the notification will provide. This is plain stupid. For the love of all that is right, please stop. Have a strategy that makes sense. Maybe it's the user being presented the option after a few visits, or a few minutes or reading an article, or maybe they seek it out. Anything but the current way.

    submitted by /u/jamestwerk
    [link] [comments]

    The Power of Web Components – Mozilla Hacks - the Web developer blog

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 05:44 AM PST

    Am I getting ripped off?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 04:05 PM PST

    I have been working for this business for about 3 months and this is the first time I had a job as web developer. Initially we had a deal that in the first three months I would be a contract worker, but after the third month I will become a employee of the company. At the time working as a contract worker he was paying $1000 bi-weekly, but the first week he gave me a paper stating that when I became an employee I would get around $4000 monthly. In any case, the third month has ended and he has welcomed me as an employee, but when he gave me the next paycheck it was still $1000. I asked him, aren't I supposed to be getting $2000 dollars now since I am an employee? He then proceeded to show me a contract I signed, where it stated that I would be paid $2000 a month, bi-weekly. And with that I have to blame myself, because this is the first time I signed a contract, and I misread the payment as $2000 bi-weekly. However, he did give me a paper stating that I would receive $4000 monthly when I would become an employee. Unfortunately, I cannot find the paper because I think I threw it away. Nonetheless, I'm feeling like I got ripped off because transitioning from contract worker to employee was no major difference. I didn't get a pay increase or any benefits at all, the only thing he is promising me is that I will get a bonus quarterly based on the amount of sales we get in. Now, most of my web development work I'm doing for the business is with wordpress, so I would guess that I'm not going to make tons of money working with that framework. However, I'm literally getting paid $12.50 an hour and that is pretty much minimum wage. I'm not only doing web development, but I'm also creating graphic design, and webmaster related things. I know that a whole foods grocer makes around $12 an hour, and all he does is bag groceries for customers. But, I'm doing multiple tasks that requires more advanced skills to master and I can't even get a living wage. Am I getting ripped off?

    Also, I'm starting realize that most small businesses are not going to pay you what you are truly worth, so I definitely want to get picked up by a company now. But, I started to realize that a lot of companies are looking for people who know C#/ASP.NET or JAVA Spring, and I only know how to use PHP somewhat. Would it be stupid for me to just abandon PHP as a language and just start fully investing into learning one of those languages. And would an employer really take on someone who only has real world experience in a different language than the one they want?

    submitted by /u/Design_Newbie
    [link] [comments]

    Time Tracking: Is it right for a Web Developer? Is it Micro-Management?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 11:32 AM PST

    Hey r/webdev,

    I need your help.

    TLDR: Company started time tracking. I have a complicated senior role and can't bear to keep track of all my work, conversations and meetings. Starting to burn out because I'm over-compensating the work if I can't quantify it. Family and work quality is suffering. No raises in the near future, barely have city's median salary. Is this normal? Have you experienced this in your jobs before? Is there any positive to this time-tracking stuff? Should I start moving on?

    I'm a salaried web developer/web designer (45K annual, basic HMO, 5 hr PTO every paycheck, no equity) at a startup in a city whose median salary is 47K, that recently transitioned from a "Hit your deadlines, we don't care how" work model to a "You must track 40 hours of quantifiable work every 7 days" model. The company began stating that the time-tracking wasn't going to be used to track individual time contributions but only to give the leadership a way to quantify effort vs. cost for each client we may contribute to. However, only 1 month later, me and some of my colleagues are getting rebuked for not tracking 40 hours, but for tracking somewhere in the 35 to 32 hours range a week. 1 peer of mine has even been threatened with disciplinary action. A couple people are talking about quitting over it, as they've seen this tank other companies.

    For myself, I am beginning to struggle to track my time as I am a senior employee and have many PM's, online and phone support reps and junior developers who Slack me throughout the day for assistance, code reviews, etc. I am in many meetings, and sit on many "committees" for various projects ranging from small brochure websites to large-scale software UX/UI that I am the lead developer or designer for. Much of my work is moderately full-stack (mostly modern front-end with LAMP-stack) with design mixed in (You startup devs, know how it goes). We have about 100+ Wordpress and Vanilla based websites to run and maintain while juggling 1 to 2 new builds depending on complexity and a legacy software migration. All of this variety makes it difficult to scrape out 30 minutes in the day to sit down and list how long I was doing each thing or having each conversation. I've used many types of time-tracking software, in combination with my browser history/notebooks and still find it a struggle to remain conscientious of every minute of every day or quanitfy 40 hours of work.

    Because of this stress, I am now eating my lunch at my desk everyday, staying at work from 9 to 6, turning down extraneous conversations with my peers, and overall, working nights and weekends to try to quantify 40 hours of work. I really love the people I work with, and thought that this company could do great work that mattered. However, after about a month of this, I am very tired, pissed and burnt out. I feel like a ghost at home with my family and keep forgetting important dates and conversations with them. My work quality is suffering, for the first time in a year, I pushed a piece of code that tanked an entire (important) website for about 30-45 minutes, which I quickly fixed after a PM noticed.

    I'm about to leave, but not sure if I 'm doing this wrong. I believe that you should trust your employees and pay them fairly. It seems that this company is not doing that, as after a year of hard work, great praise from leadership and many successful large-scale launches I am being denied raises due to funding (so they say). And now, I'm being micro-managed (how I feel) which is driving me nuts.

    Is this normal? Have you experienced this in your jobs before? Is there any positive to this time-tracking stuff? Should I start moving on?

    Thanks for the reading this novel, This is my third dev job in 7 years so I don't have alot of experience with remote work and need to know if this time-tracking stuff is worth the pain before making the decision.

    submitted by /u/morethanccc
    [link] [comments]

    Just completed my portfolio!

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 07:06 AM PST

    Hi,

    https://artze.xyz/

    I'm about to set out to explore what opportunities are out there and just built a portfolio. I'd be glad to hear your feedback especially on content.

    EDIT: I designed the site to be viewed on desktop. I know this is no excuse for the sub-par mobile-responsiveness but it will be dealt with at a later stage :(

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/raccoonranger73
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a combination more popular than php+mysql for web apps?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 10:13 AM PST

    I know php isn't as popular as it used to be and postgres/mongo are taking over mysql share but I usually see a mix of frontend frameworks and databases and don't see a regular combination like php+mysql (ok, maybe node+mongo but there's still way more apps in php+mysql stack). I might be wrong since I'm not very much experienced (less than 5 years) but I've noticed the trend.

    submitted by /u/iBzOtaku
    [link] [comments]

    Best practice for adding text above responsive images?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 10:25 AM PST

    Is there a common/superior way to add text on top of an image that changes screen size?

    I understand that I can have an image div with position relative and a text div with position absolute and shift the text into position on top of the image and make the font and width in units of"vw." The problem is that sometimes things get wonky when changing the viewport size.

    Is that the best option? Or would it be better to add the text into the image file itself in photoshop?

    submitted by /u/01123581321AhFuckIt
    [link] [comments]

    Getting spam from contact form with recaptcha

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 11:23 AM PST

    I have Google recapcha implemented on my contact form but I'm still getting at least one spam email a day. Could this be from bots? How do I prevent this?

    submitted by /u/nootdude
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for notes on landing page design

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 09:44 AM PST

    I'm using mailchimp for a newsletter subscribe landing page, so I'm confined to its formatting. I understand it's a little bare, but I'm wondering if there is a more attractive way to present the content. I've researched what I can, but I feel feedback from actual webdevs would be next level!

    Landing page: https://mailchi.mp/0c32298132a0/lilith

    submitted by /u/HermanThorpe
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on how to prevent batch scrapers from accessing endpoints?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 04:48 PM PST

    First post here, but hoping for some help, even though scraping is super great/convenient/free, my company is helping with government data and having people scrape our public information is losing us clients. I don't mind if they scrape one page, or even used selenium/a manual clicker, but everyday we have thousands of new datapoint uploaded and they're just calling the endpoints daily to access all of the info.

    -Scrapers are accessing our data directly through our endpoints. Unfortunately, somehow, the endpoints are revealed and they know which parameters to pass in too. If we changed our endpoints everyday or week we could prevent them from accessing all of the data, because they would have to have to go through the effort of changing 200 endpoint calls in their code to access the data.

    Is there anyway to stop or make it much more difficult for them to scrape without having to change our endpoints daily? This is a project we've wanted to do for a long time, and with summer break coming around and it getting quiet in the office here, we are finally quieting down to get to it as it is imperative for our business.

    Many thanks!

    submitted by /u/gcc_helloworld
    [link] [comments]

    How to send an email on users behalf?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 04:48 PM PST

    I'm creating an application where users can register with their email and password.

    When they are registered, how can I let users send emails on my web application using their email address without asking what their password for that email is?

    submitted by /u/Mykolas_Kaminskas
    [link] [comments]

    HTML/CSS resource with exercises

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 04:36 PM PST

    Hello, I'm currently a mobile programmer trying to break into web dev. I've actually been learning javascript, but haven't really touched HTML/CSS at all I was wondering if there was any good resources that included exercises/problems to complete?

    submitted by /u/jsherman10
    [link] [comments]

    Best Deal Shared Hosting?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 09:08 AM PST

    Hey r/webdev, I have been doing some surfing and wanted to see if you all had some advice on where I can find the most affordable, fast, and best shared web hosting plan. Also, if there are any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on such coming up. Thanks! G

    submitted by /u/submurged
    [link] [comments]

    How to become a good front-end developer/designer.

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 02:58 PM PST

    Hi

    I'm a backend developer, and it's really fun. I love making web apps, and have made some fun products for myself (I also plan to release 2 to the public next year). My issue I'm not a frontend developer/designer. This is annoying, as I really love the idea of frontend and making awesome looks, look awesome.

    How do I go about getting good front-end skills?

    submitted by /u/Deviso
    [link] [comments]

    where to begin...

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 02:56 PM PST

    *i'm sorry if this post breaks any rules, i'm just dying and need help. please and thank you in advance!*

    so i'm the lone marketing person at a harley-davidson dealer outside of chicago. aside from working with motorcycles, which is amazing, my job is stressful and terrible job. i need all the help i can get.

    what i'm trying to do is make my life so much easier by using the event, offer, what's new, and product posts to promote the shop.

    my question is there a particular platform, other than the GMB API, that's a little more user friendly, to create a widget to dynamically pull those posts over to my website? to our fb?

    i have seriously so many more obstacles but if i can at least figure this out, i might not drink as much...

    - end question/plea -

    submitted by /u/Shewillbelieve93
    [link] [comments]

    Where does this extra CSS tag come from?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 10:31 AM PST

    Sharing Data Between Windows in JS Console

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 08:19 AM PST

    I am creating a browser addon that will open several new tabs and in each, take elements from the page and ideally pass them back to the calling JS script (which would have been called from a different tab).

    What is the best way to pass this data back? As I understand it there's a tab/window scoping issue here.

    I see that one can control what is called in the new tab using addEventListener for that tabs load, but the data doesn't then seem to pass back to things following/outside of this listener function.

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    EDIT: This doesn't seem to be working for me:

    This doesn't seem to be sending a message (other than generic ones like changed tab) - any ideas as to why? It might be more an issue with the onload function for the other tab rather than an issue with the message sending.

    array = document.getElementsByClassName('question_link');
    var allPages = [];
    // for (i = 0; i < array.length; i++) { console.log(array[i].href); }
    var win = window.open(array[2].href, '_blank');
    win.focus();
    win.onload = function(){
    window.opener.postMessage("test", "*");
    var thisPage = {};
    // This page = [url, views, followers]
    // thisPage['url'] = array[2].href;
    thisPage['views'] = document.getElementsByClassName('ViewsRow')[0].innerText.split(" ")[0];
    thisPage['followers'] = document.getElementsByClassName('FollowerListModalLink')[0].innerText.split(" ")[0];
    // localStorage.setItem('thisPage', JSON.stringify(thisPage));
    };
    window.addEventListener("message", receiveMessage, false);
    function receiveMessage(event)
    {
    console.log(event.data);
    }

    submitted by /u/adlabco
    [link] [comments]

    SaaS offerings for recurring subscription payments?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 02:07 PM PST

    Hoping to get some advice here. I looked at Shopify and the setup and API seem good, but they don't offer (surprisingly) an option to charge for a recurring subscription.

    I don't need a site builder, I need a simple 'Buy' button with an associated API to check the user's subscription status. Should I look at something other than Shopify or should I investigate the Shopify apps that add monthly billing? Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/WriteOnceCutTwice
    [link] [comments]

    Made a tool to minify images. written in go

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 01:51 PM PST

    so i made this tool to minify images for the web. Currently it is only available for Mac os and linux. working on windows support. i would love to get some feedback on this. thankyou

    github repo

    submitted by /u/thetinygoat
    [link] [comments]

    I made a global website comment service with chrome extension. Would love some feedback.

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 06:06 AM PST

    I have been working on this project on and off for a while now and have finally got it to a point where I want to test its practicality and potential interest with the online communities.

    The service can be found here at this website link, there is a button on the page that will take you to the chrome extension installation page.

    https://gromments.com

    The service is essentially the ability to comment on anything with an MD5 hash, but the current applied application of the service is a chrome extension that generates an MD5 of the website you're actively viewing in chrome and loads up any comments associated.

    You can also register an account and start commenting on each website to contribute to a global comments system that is not controlled by the website owner. I like to think of this as a kind of internet freedom of speech but less from an actual interpretation of freedom of speech and more a form of avoiding the man for taking down your content.

    I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions, my main focus right now its to validate the use case and necessity.

    Also, not sure what timezone the Showoff Saturday applies, hope I got this in at the right time. Apologies in advanced if not.

    submitted by /u/mossengine
    [link] [comments]

    How much secure JWT is?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 01:32 PM PST

    Suppose a client "A" has logged in to a server and got a JWT. Now if another person "B" has stolen the JWT of "A", can "B" send request to that server without login, pretending that he is "A"?

    And it seems like anyone can decode the claims/payload if he can steal someone's and posts it into jwt debugger.

    Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

    submitted by /u/CrappyFap69
    [link] [comments]

    report-to: Middleware for setting the Report-To HTTP response header

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 01:20 PM PST

    Is this shared hosting plan worth $69/year? How well would it handle traffic/queries versus free/cheaper options like Firebase or AWS?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 01:10 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment