• Breaking News

    Monday, November 19, 2018

    The State of JavaScript 2018 web developers

    The State of JavaScript 2018 web developers


    The State of JavaScript 2018

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 01:54 AM PST

    Holly cow kill me, AUDIO CAPTCHAS?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 08:18 AM PST

    I just installed one on a clients website and it's the most painful thing I think I have experienced.. .well, next to iframes and animated backgrounds, etc...

    When I hit play, it runs a 14 word audio ad so fast, I can barely understand it. It's like the small disclaimers at the bottom of commercials on TV... way too fast, way too difficult to comprehend on even 2 passes.

    Audio Captchas from Recaptcha... Guaranteed to blow your mind... and run off EVERY CUSTOMER that attempts it.

    A customer has to be REALLY HARD UP to want to submit that form. I think it's time to kill the robots.

    submitted by /u/eventualist
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best online Web Dev course you've taken?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 02:40 AM PST

    I've taken a lot of online courses over the years, but there are only a couple that really stand out. With Cyber Monday coming up and some discounts / deals floating around I wanted to know what your favourite courses have been.

    For me I've gotten the most value out of:

    • Stephen Grider's - Ethereum & Solidity on Udemy (actually anything by Grider is top notch imo)
    • CodeSchool's JavaScript Road Trip pt.1 & 2 (took them around 2013 - 2014 and got me into JS)
    • The original Codecademy JS / HTML / CSS paths (Free)
    • Will Sentance's 'JavaScript - the Hard Parts' on Front End Masters
    • Kyle Simpson's JavaScript courses (Front End Masters / Pluralsight)
    • CS50 on edX (Free)

    I'm also currently trying out Vue School & Vue Mastery but don't have a strong opinion on them yet. Also, it's not a course but 'Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja' by John Resig is a fantastic book that I've learned a lot from.

    submitted by /u/jacobedawson
    [link] [comments]

    10 things to learn for becoming a solid full-stack JavaScript developer

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 08:12 AM PST

    Results of Google's new audit tool on google.com

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 03:39 PM PST

    Avoiding Programming burnout: lessons learned from a 19th century philosopher

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 05:11 AM PST

    Submarine - Pure CSS zero JS

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 10:34 AM PST

    Pure SVG wave

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 07:44 AM PST

    How to Know Who Previously Owned a Website

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 02:22 PM PST

    We're looking at purchasing a website that is currently a "premium" website on GoDaddy. This is because someone recently owned it and let is lapse. Is there any way to know who the person who owned it previously was?

    submitted by /u/wcook1990
    [link] [comments]

    How does the "popstate" event work?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 10:51 AM PST

    Can someone explain to me how this event works? It's only firing when I go back to a page, not every time history.pushState() or history.replaceState() is called.

    Is there another event that fires every time the browser history is manipulated, not based on specific conditions?

    submitted by /u/haljadooa
    [link] [comments]

    Im looking for an online bootcamp

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 04:27 PM PST

    Ive looked at a few but im not really sure which are reputable and which arnt. Which are worth the money and which arnt. Im either going to an online bootcamp or an online college course.

    submitted by /u/chaserchim
    [link] [comments]

    Good book recommendations to pair with freecodecamp??

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 07:42 AM PST

    I'm starting back on freecodecamp today. First time I made it to the algorithm problems and gave up but I'm going to give it another go and start from the beginning. I was pretty solid on HTML/CSS before I stopped just starting fresh to refresh my memory on those 2. But I was wondering what books are recommended to read while I go through the JavaScript parts. Even though I've went through Colt Steele's course and done a few other tutorials I still can't seem to wrap my head around d JavaScript and the algorithm. I just don't fully understand it.

    submitted by /u/ztay90
    [link] [comments]

    What am I missing out on by using GUI SFTP clients vs. terminal/SSH?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 02:35 AM PST

    I've always used an FTP client like FileZilla to work but I frequently see articles where people are using their terminal; what are the benefits to using a CLIs and not GUIs? Any?

    submitted by /u/bnimbla
    [link] [comments]

    Kickstart Application Security on Heroku with the Templarbit Buildpack

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 01:48 PM PST

    Typewriter.js slowing down with every loop

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 09:58 AM PST

    I've been experimenting with typewriter.js and been having a weird issue with it. I made this simple CodePen to demonstrate the issue.

    After every loop the typewriter seems to be getting a delay of around 1000ms. When you leave the page for a good moment, the delay is very annoying. Even after removing all .pauseFor(xxx) calls, it didn't solve the problem.

    Am I missing something obvious? Feel free to bash me for my ignorance.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/jordakoes
    [link] [comments]

    A lot of people talk about Photopea in the design community, but I figured webdev should check this site out too. This was made by a single person as a passion project. Holy hell.

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 06:54 PM PST

    I made morphing U.S. state SVGs

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 09:44 AM PST

    What's the best way to add an editable field to output later to html?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 01:17 PM PST

    Basically, I want a super simple WYSIWYG editor - no need for pictures or links most likely - especially depending on how they are handled. My main concern is XSS, but also how the html is written. I've used summernote before when working with fields that could only be updated by internal users - less XSS risk, but it writes some pretty horrendous html. Any thoughts? Also, ideally it would be pure js as I'm using asp.net mvc.

    submitted by /u/ToyofGod
    [link] [comments]

    Left the industry for 2 years and am super rusty. Can’t seem to pass the JS test for any recruiter. Where’s best to brush up?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 09:11 AM PST

    TLDR; took the plunge into PM and producer roles, but it's dried up on my end since I'm losing to CS degree holders left and right.

    Where would you turn for some brushing up on core skills?

    Have been self taught and worked my way up for 15 years by reputation and portfolio. Thinking nows the time to either finally go for the degree or hang up the hat for good.

    submitted by /u/_hugerobots_
    [link] [comments]

    Embedded Facebook post grid for website?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 12:42 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I am trying to find an easy-to-use tool for embedding a "wall" of facebook posts from a Facebook business page. I'm looking for an attractive grid layout. I've found a lot of paid tools for this, but need something that's free. What are my options?

    submitted by /u/xLoremIpsum
    [link] [comments]

    Progressive Web Apps for everyone with ReactJS (open source ofc)! :)

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 06:43 AM PST

    Hi there,

    We created an Open Source library with which you can all build a Progressive Web App for your online projects. It has standard connection with Magento 2 for shopping, Wordpress for blog etc.

    If you would like to get a headstart with PWA and you love ReactJS and NodeJS, join us here: https://github.com/deity-io/falcon (and leave some stars :) ).

    Blog post to know more about how it works here:

    https://medium.com/deity-io/deity-falcon-launch-be296b889c4b

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/JamieMariaS
    [link] [comments]

    Video tutorial: Animated hover effect with anime.js

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 12:26 PM PST

    Video tutorial: Animated hover effect with anime.js

    Created this video, thought some of you might find it useful. Thanks!

    https://youtu.be/3ySEuGLMGI4

    submitted by /u/elgoral
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Blog Website Security Help

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 06:04 AM PST

    I (used to) run a very simple, extremely low traffic sports blog. It is my first year running my own website through Bluehost and Wordpress. I have been recently shut down because of malware, and my options are to backup, clean, and reboot myself, or pay Sitelock to clean it. The latter is more money than I'm willing to sink into something that returns no money.

    I know nothing about websites. I thought simple security would have been included and that's proven to be ignorant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I spend $300 for the clean or $30 a month for a firewall I'm not convinced I need.

    submitted by /u/quesadillar
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know any eCommerce solutions for a specific use case (group orders processed on a set schedule)?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 11:51 AM PST

    Basically, I will be setting up a shop full of items that can only be ordered as part of a "group" (think company, sports team, organization). There will be about 1,000 of these groups and they will be chosen by the user at checkout from a dropdown form that populates based on the user's city.

    The way this will work is on a set schedule (likely a specific day each month) these orders will all be organized by "groups" and reports will be generated that can be forwarded to the fulfillment service. Each group receives a single shipment along with an insert that dictates what item belongs to which member.

    I'm looking for an eCommerce solution that would best handle this functionality. My original thinking was to use a framework like Django for the most modular control over the functionality, however, that may be overkill if there is a simpler solution available.

    Any help is much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Dmitri_P_KaramazovII
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment