• Breaking News

    Monday, November 19, 2018

    The Escapist is featuring a story about Reddit gamedev groups: Making Games with Strangers

    The Escapist is featuring a story about Reddit gamedev groups: Making Games with Strangers


    The Escapist is featuring a story about Reddit gamedev groups: Making Games with Strangers

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 05:03 AM PST

    Modding as a gateway into game design: good idea?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 03:05 AM PST

    Hello gentlemen and ladies of r/gamedev. How do you do?

    I've been an avid gamer throughout most of my life, and it's been a dream of mine to make a complete game. I've done solo work on a mod for id Software's Doom (specifically the GZDoom engine), and I'm already working on another one. But I do have a lingering doubt that plagues me sometimes even when I'm plucking away in SLADE writing new stuff for my mods: is this even worthwhile if I want to learn game design as a craft?

    For the record, GZDoom's primary language is a scripting language called ZScript, which borrows mostly from C in syntax. So I do feel that a lot of the concepts I learn can be easily transported to "big boy" engines like Unity and Unreal. But I sometimes wonder that if Unity/Unreal are the gold standard for game engines, shouldn't I just use those instead of modding? I dunno.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/VenomousWoe
    [link] [comments]

    I'm making a video series more focused on direct game design advice rather then analysis. This is the first video about how to make and use a puzzle mechanic; feedback is appreciated!

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 01:36 PM PST

    Which are some of your favorite game development books and why?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 12:19 AM PST

    Christmas is just around the corner, so it's time to start creating wishlists.

    Which are some books you've found to be indispensable?

    Which are your favorites?

    Which books should every serious game developer own?

    If price didn't matter, which would you buy?

    My current favorite is Game Engine Architecture because it covers quite a bit of ground in terms of all the components which make up an engine. It is easily approachable and you needn't read it sequentially, but can pick and choose topics as appropriate to your project milestones. It's also quite interesting even of you're not writing your own engine because it provides keen insights as to what's going on under the hood in engines such as Unreal/Unity.

    submitted by /u/DOOMReboot
    [link] [comments]

    At which format do you send your dialog scripts to voice actors?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 06:11 AM PST

    Hello,

    We are a small indie company working on our first game (Macrotis: A Mother's Journey). Everything is going well, we finished writing our dialogs, but we are not sure how to send them to our voice actors. We already asked them how they worked with other studios, but we want to ask this community too.

    We are proficient with script writing methods for movies but lack the necessary experience for video games. Is it alright to prepare our scripts in Celtx, similar to a movie format or should we use another program or format to prepare them? Also, we are struggling to find a proper method for writing a branching story for voice actors. How did you guys manage scripts like that where you have a branching story?

    edit: typo

    submitted by /u/pd_ozgur
    [link] [comments]

    Just as a reminder, if you like a indie game leave a review. It really helps with visibility and helps the developer more than you know.

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 10:50 AM PST

    Is Bethesda reusing their engine really that big of an issue?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 07:41 AM PST

    Heya, while I'm a dev, I know next to nothing about game dev and game engines, so I've been wondering whether all this backlash that Bethesda is getting is really due to an aging engine or just poor development?

    Basically, even if a game engine is old, is it alright to keep using it as long as you maintain it properly and patch it as needed or is there is a point where you have to abandon it completely otherwise it's just a waste of resources?

    Curious to hear your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/Acrobatic_Astronomer
    [link] [comments]

    Hey /r/gamedev! We took a ton of ice and recreated Braums Glacial Fissure from League of Legends! We hope you learn something new :)

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 10:47 AM PST

    Low spec game-engine?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 06:32 AM PST

    Im looking for a low spec game-engine. If you dont know about anyone, do you know whick is the most low-spec of those that exist?

    submitted by /u/Hugofrost1
    [link] [comments]

    Q&A - Designing the procedurally-generated space sim Nimbatus

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 09:29 AM PST

    Guidance on percent of budget for trailers and pure marketing assets

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 09:15 AM PST

    I'm looking for guidance/best-practice on what would be a reasonable amount of my budget to apply to pure digital marketing assets (Game Trailer, Website Art, Steam Coming Soon Graphics, etc.).

    I know there are many variables, so I'll post what I believe are most pertinent:

    1) It's my first game, so I don't have a following or fan base

    2) Target platform is Steam

    3) Within my development expenses, I have spent about 60% on dev and 40% on models, animation, art. I will certainly leverage many of the models, art, and actual gameplay for the marketing art assets but I'm asking about pure marketing assets that I would outsource to a company that specializes in these things.

    So, with the above, is it reasonable to allocate 10% .. 20% ... more? I know sexy/awesome trailers and art are key to getting wishlists and community members signed up so I'm thinking of allocating ~15% of the total budget towards pure marketing assets. Appreciate thoughts from other indie devs with some releases under their belt.

    submitted by /u/Nitin-M
    [link] [comments]

    Collectible Card Game, Entity-Component Pattern and Complex Card Abilities

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 11:45 AM PST

    So I'm trying to make a card game and I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly how I want to architect it. I've read through a bunch of stuff, and a lot of posts from this subreddit, but I'm still not sure how to go about implementing card abilities. For this, I will probably be working in Godot, I've used it before and liked it and I find it really intuitive for entity-component patterns.

    For card stats and abilities I'll be using either a JSON or XML file to store each card's identifier, name, stats, and their abilities. Abilities will be stored as a list of special modifiers, which are added to each card object as components. Abilities listed here will include all card abilities, spanning from simple ones to unique abilities. These ability components will be broken down into the following types: buff (also used for debuff, these are constant changes to a card's stats such as +2 health), triggers (these are triggers for other abilities, such as "when card is played" or "when card takes damage", triggers must be passed another ability to take place when the trigger is triggered), instant (an instant effect, like card takes 3 damage, or target player discards all their cards).

    I think I've got simple abilities worked out, for these I can take all of my standard abilities and triggers and script each card's behavior in my JSON file. Where I'm stuck is complex abilities. How would I go about creating an ability like:

    Choose 3 cards from target player's hand, that player then chooses one of those cards to give to you.

    OR

    Choose one: look at the top 4 cards of your deck OR the top 2 cards of your deck and the top 2 cards of your opponent's deck. Choose one of these cards and place it in your hand, choose one of these cards and place it in your opponent's hand, and place the remaining 2 cards at the bottom of their respective decks.

    OR

    "Rigged prize fight": Choose one of your units and one of your opponent's units. These two units fight. If your unit wins, it gets a permanent +2/+2 bonus. If your opponent wins it gets a +1/+1 bonus the next 2 times it attacks, if during one of these attacks it is blocked by a unit that received the permanent +2/+2 bonus and defeats that unit, this unit receives the +2/+2 permanent bonus.

    submitted by /u/kelvindegrees
    [link] [comments]

    Creating an infinite dungeon crawler in a text-adventure game, does that sound appealing?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 11:23 AM PST

    I'm an extremely amateur programmer. I've always created small games in multiple different languages(TypeScript, Java, C), but none of them really went anywhere. After a little while of not working on any projects I decided to start yet another one, this time a text adventure game that will have an infinite amount of zones that the player goes through. You have 3 options, walk, search and rest and there already is a rudimentary leveling and inventory system. I'm nearly done the game, but while I was working on it I started to have bigger aspirations for this game. I started adding a lot more content, and learning how to use Pygame so I can have custom effects splash on the screen. With my somewhat limited web development knowledge I created a website on GitHub pages to place the script on. While doing all of this is dawned on me that the market for a text-adventure game is probably very limited, especially for a guy who is a completely newbie to game design and does not know how to properly balance his game yet.

    I guess I just wanted to know what your opinions are of this project, would you like a game like this or not?

    submitted by /u/Steaming_Tracks
    [link] [comments]

    Getting into game developing

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 10:50 AM PST

    Hey!I wanna get into game developing and and don't know with what i shoud start.Well i know how to work a little in c++ and i want to stick with this language!If someone can like, tell me what i shoud focus on i'd be gratefull.

    submitted by /u/n0escape200
    [link] [comments]

    Copyright question, using old 3d models with new textures?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 10:48 AM PST

    I have a card game idea fleshed out already.

    I specifically wanted to use the wrestling games models for Nintendo 64. They're old blocky arcade models and ill slap my own texture on there. They won't have a likeness to any wrestler. It's just the blank generic human model.

    And I'll use those in-game animations to take screenshots with the new textures on them.

    What do you think? Will i run into copyright problems?

    Maybe a work around would be to use my own texture over them, take the screen shot. And then digitally draw over the image making my own work in a way.

    submitted by /u/2TMAU5
    [link] [comments]

    The Simplest Way To Create Infinite Background Effect In Unity

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 10:27 AM PST

    More FREE 2d assets now available

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 09:32 AM PST

    Hi everybody! The text from my last post got deleted leaving just the title with no description. Sorry about that I'm re-posting here, and hopefully nothing will go wrong this time.

    If you don't already know about my site it's a 2d game asset site www.gamedeveloperstudio.com with thousands of game assets, I don't know the actual count as there are hundreds of packs, some containing only one asset others containing over one hundred , I've never had time to actually count them.

    Anyway the point of the site is to maintain and grow a large number of 2d assets with a single style allowing you to create 2d games with artistic continuity but with as much diversity in asset types as possible. I don't just make assets I know will sell (orcs , goblins archers etc) I try to make assets people need to create whole games, and if you can't find what you're looking for you can post it to the site's suggestions wall.

    I'm creating assets for the site daily with at least two to three new uploads going on a week. Some of the assets are totally free and the rest are really low priced. I know that even the smallest game can eat an absolute ton of assets so I think you'll find they're all priced quite fairly!

    If you get time please check it out, say hi! or drop into my new discord server and before I forget here's the full link to the site https://www.gamedeveloperstudio.com

    https://i.redd.it/7po40jltmbz11.png

    submitted by /u/gamedeveloperstudio
    [link] [comments]

    Where is the best place to purchase base character models?

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 08:32 AM PST

    As the title says, I was wondering if there was a goto or gold standard resource/asset library for realistic character models. Do people know where PUBG sourced their character models? Being able to purchase different head types for bodies would be ideal. Just unclothed, plain, default bodies. Budget isn't an issue but it's small enough to not be able to afford our own character artist.

    I have found photoscanned models online but they dont really seem appropriate for game design and come proposed in fixed positions.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/swissmcnoodle
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about mobile game translation

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 08:04 AM PST

    We are two CS students and we are currently developing a game in the Unity Game Engine. It's mainly an exercise project (it's our first "real" release), so we don't expect big profits.

    At the moment we are thinking about localization. Our game isn't story-based, so mainly menu items would have to be translated.

     

    Our questions are now:

    Are translators on websites like fiverr enough for this?

    We know that there are formats like .po/.pot with editors like PoEdit, but many translators on websites like fiverr expect plaintext files or Word documents. So what file formats should we be able to import and export?

     

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/testudor
    [link] [comments]

    The Path to Learn Game Programming

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 02:02 PM PST

    Music composer and sound designer looking to get into gaming projects

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 06:59 AM PST

    Hello all, I hope this is a good place for this. I've been composing music for about 10 years and recording and moulding sounds for almost as long. I live with a couple other artists who are looking to get into this field. I've gone out for a couple interviews, but they weren't successful and I'm still in school so I've put that on the back burner.

    I'd love to get into some projects, but I don't know where to start. Is this subreddit a good community to gain some knowledge and maybe build a portfolio?

    submitted by /u/THEBAESGOD
    [link] [comments]

    I made a Mount and Blade cover ( Swadian Hall)

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 06:14 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment