• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 27, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - November 27, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - November 27, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - November 27, 2018

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    Note on anonomyizing your resume: If you'd like your resume to remain anonymous, make sure you blank out or change all personally identifying information. Also be careful of using your own Google Docs account or DropBox account which can lead back to your personally identifying information. To make absolutely sure you're anonymous, we suggest posting on sites/accounts with no ties to you after thoroughly checking the contents of your resume.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - November 27, 2018

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Recently quit a $120K high stress job as a developer (fresh out of college). What are some sensible options for a lower stress career under the umbrella of computer science?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:21 AM PST

    The title basically says it all; I couldn't handle the standard of knit-picky perfection set for production software. Endless code review hell was my whole life for 4 months. I will be relocating to Raleigh for a lower cost of living. Through university, an internship, and now my failed attempt at this job, Seattle has eaten me alive.

    submitted by /u/steveoaustin
    [link] [comments]

    What are the expectations of a software engineer of 1.5-2 years of experience?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:07 PM PST

    I've been sending out my resume for a while now with no luck. Am I unskilled? Undesirable? I don't get any call backs from the companies I apply to, but I do get some occasional messages from recruiters on LinkedIn. However, the majority of recruiters are for positions in the current industry I work in and I'm trying to get out it.

    I do know that I should have stronger personal projects to showcase (mine are just school assignments), but I have plenty of work experience to show. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've gotten my resume revised plenty of times in the resume thread but nothing seems to be working. Am I not hitting keywords? Do I still need to go to hiring events (for alumni, i'd have to pay to go to a school career event)? Do I need to contact a profession resume writer?

    submitted by /u/ResumeGuy1
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get a job because I can't pass a single coding screen...should I consider a bootcamp?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 03:37 PM PST

    Backstory: 6 months out of a degree (cs masters) and can't get a job.

    I'm consistently not passing coding screens/white boarding interviews. I think I am 2/15 at this point and a lot of these are at big companies (think big 4 and up and coming tech companies). Of the two I passed, one I was completely surprised, as I only got one of the two questions. The other one I looked up the answers while doing it.

    I'm frustrated because I keep going through the process and failing (once for a summer internship, then new grad right after college, and then again 6 months later for new grad). So my standard method of preparation doesn't seem to be helping. Simply doing leetcode isn't working. Going through CTCI is not really helping either. Unless its a really easy problem (check if a string is a palindrome, reversing a string, etc), I often find I don't really know how to approach a problem and end up looking at the answer.

    It's very annoying because I don't think I am the worst programmer, I've just lost a lot of confidence and the interviews are starting to piss me off. I did decently well in college I just didn't really learn problem solving. Would an interview bootcamp like Interview Kickstart be a good idea? I am considering flying up to the bay and doing that before sending out any more resumes.

    submitted by /u/isuckattechinterview
    [link] [comments]

    Got bait and switched, what I did about it

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 07:03 AM PST

    This is sort of an update from my previous post about paying back a signing bonus from Microsoft. Almost exactly a month after I left, I got an email (and then a letter in the mail) from Microsoft Collections with instructions on how to pay them back. So now that there's no chance of me slipping through their cracks and getting to keep that money, I'm comfortable with sharing what happened to make me leave so quickly.

    Earlier this year I was looking to leave the job I was at and I got an email from a recruiter at Microsoft about a hiring event one of the large organizations within Microsoft was hosting. I've been to these hiring events before and I even got an offer from one years ago that I turned down. So I figured I'd give it a shot. I went through 4 mostly algorithmic interviews with managers from 4 different teams within that same org that was hosting the event. One or two of the managers were looking for service engineers (or SRE's or whatever) and I told them I was only interested in being a developer. I didn't think that I had done exceptionally well, but I got a call back saying that they wanted to make me an offer.

    This was where things got a little weird. The recruiter that told me they wanted to make me an offer said that the manager that wanted me wasn't one of the ones that interviewed me. But he saw my resume and thought that I'd be a great fit for his team given my experience. For the past couple years before this I was a developer in the Seattle area working on developer tools for one of the big companies. As in I was doing development work on the actual tools that other developers in the company were using for building and deploying their code.

    Since I hadn't met my next potential manager during the interview, an hour-long call was set up so I could get a better idea of what his team did. So this manager, "Sean", is telling me how he manages engineers on a bunch of different teams, and tells me about the team he wants to put me on. This team has a senior engineer that is retiring in like 2-3 months and he wants me to take his place. He said the team is set up with 3 leads: the project manager lead (because there are multiple project managers on this team) and two engineering "co-leads". I'd be replacing one of the "co-leads", the one retiring. He says the team is in the process of deprecating a couple old services and is working on some new services that have already partially taken their place. It wasn't clear to me during this call what made my previous experience such a good fit for this team. They weren't working on developer tools or anything. This was a red flag that I should have at least asked about looking back now.

    But overall it sounded pretty good. I have about 6 years of industry experience, so stepping into this "co-lead" role sounds like a good direction for my career. I tell the recruiter that I'd accept an offer and we negotiate compensation. He emphasized that the team is looking to have someone start as soon as possible since their current guy is retiring soon. I wanted a bit more time to unwind after leaving my current job at the time, but eventually acquiesced. The offer letter says my title will be "Software Engineer" and has all the relevant information about compensation and start date in it.

    Before I started (but after I had accepted the offer and gave notice to my current company), I found out that a previous coworker of mine was actually in the org that hosted the hiring event. So I reached out to him to ask him what it was like working there and everything. When I told him that my manager was Sean, he said something like "Oh, so you'll be working with the support engineers?" I wasn't sure what to make of that since there wasn't any mention of that when Sean and I talked. But I'd be starting in just a couple days, so I figured that it would all be clear then.

    So I went to new hire orientation and part of that whole deal is looking yourself up in the company directory. I see Sean as my manager and I see that he has 6 or 7 engineers reporting to him including myself. Half of them have the title of "software engineer" like me and half of them have the title of "service engineer". So it seems like my friend was right in that I'd be working with service engineers.

    Over the first couple of days I come to find out that Sean manages the service engineers for a smaller org made up of like 4 or 5 "feature crews". The co-lead position he sold me on was as a service engineer. Not once was the word "service" mentioned when we were talking about the offer, the role or the team. The engineer that was retiring had the title of "service engineer" and hadn't done any development in years.

    Apparently Sean's strategy was to hire developers as service engineers to make the role more automated. The service engineers in this group were solely responsible for deploying the code that developers wrote to production servers and diagnose any problems that came up while it was running. Everything was manual. There was no continuous integration or deployment. Sean wanted to move the group to CI/CD, but felt that he couldn't with service engineers who didn't have development experience.

    Sean had become the manager of this group sometime in the past year. Everybody he had hired since he started had the software engineer title and was in the same situation in that the role was not what they were expecting. Every one of them was new to Microsoft and had just resigned themselves to putting in their time in this shitty role until they could find a real developer role.

    At the end of my first week I sat down with Sean and told him that this was not what I expected. He told me to give it a shot for a couple months. He said it would take at least 3 months to really get up to speed anyway and that I should stick it out just to see if I ended up liking it. That was the point that I realized I had been had. He got me hook line and sinker and now I was stuck.

    Fortunately Microsoft had just changed their policy so that you no longer needed to be in a role for 12 months to be eligible for an internal transfer. I reached out to every former coworker that had ended up at Microsoft to see if their teams could take me on (only 3). I also started emailing managers that had openings on Microsoft's career page and explaining the situation I had found myself in.

    The next week I basically made every attempt to appear to be ramping up on my new team while actually spending most of my time emailing other managers trying to find someone to get me out of my awful situation. Unfortunately none of my old coworkers' teams had openings, so I was stuck with just cold emailing managers with open positions.

    I think someone I reached out to ended up saying something to Sean because he asked to speak to me again about things not being what I had expected. After I explained to him that I was looking for a developer position and was not at all interested in being a service engineer, he said that was fine and that he'd help me find a new team.

    He said I didn't need to worry about trying to ramp up on the team he had placed me on because I'd probably be gone by the time I'd be of any use. So without any pretense of doing actual work, I was 100% dedicated to finding a new team within Microsoft. Unfortunately transferring internally at Microsoft is the same process as if you were applying from outside the company. So a couple weeks went by before I was even getting interviews from my applications and emails. I ended up widening my search to openings outside of Microsoft as well. By the time I had finally found a team that would officially take me, I had gotten a much better offer from another company and took that instead. My last day at Microsoft was almost exactly 3 months after my first day.

    tl;dr: Got an offer from a Microsoft hiring event for a Software Engineer role, ends up being a Service Engineer role, I leave.

    After all this, the biggest lesson I learned was to never attend another mass hiring event. They are designed for the hiring company to scoop up as many candidates as possible with the least amount of effort. This means that it will be much harder for a potential hire to determine if the team they'll be joining is a good fit or not.

    submitted by /u/LeftMicrosoftEarly
    [link] [comments]

    I hate Seattle and SF/Bay Area. Now what?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:39 PM PST

    Context: Mid-20s male, lived and worked in all of these places

    Reasons for hatred common to all locations: * Monolithic tech culture. It's impossible to find people who are different. Everyone codes, and if they have a hobby, it's "outdoors stuff" (???) * Culturally dead cities. No young artists or musicians doing interesting things. Nothing but boring techies who go to work, go home, sleep. It's absolutely fine to be a cultural leech and supporting the local culture by partaking (i.e. buying tickets), but these people don't even do that, so artists are starved for patrons and go elsewhere. * Too many dudes, finding a date is very hard * Aggressive homeless make me worry for female friends and companions who are out by themselves

    Reasons I hate specifically Seattle: * Very small. Lacks "neighborhoods" that have unique feels to them; it's just one techie gentrified blob. * Shit weather, of course * Bar scene is relegated to one freaking block in Cap Hill and another freaking block in Belltown. Seriously what the hell kind of city has only like 5 bars that people actually go to?

    Reasons I specifically hate SF: * Really, REALLY expensive. I'm cool with Seattle expensive, but it's actually absurd here. * Bad public transit, causing me to take many Lyfts in an already expensive city. (Seattle actually does have fantastic public transit for the record) * Weather is surprisingly bad here. The fog is almost as bad as Seattle in terms of creating a depressing atmosphere.

    Reasons I specifically hate the Bay Area: * It's a boring suburb. What's not to hate? Great place to raise a family (only if your family income is 400k of course) or retire.

    Is it normal to hate all these places? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Is it just me--am I a stick in the mud who won't be happy anywhere? Or do these places just suck that bad? I come from the east coast. I'd like to go to NYC (can't, work at social media company and NYC roles are highly sought and only for seniors) but idk if that will even solve my problems.

    submitted by /u/ThiccPenis
    [link] [comments]

    A guy from a company called SynyergisticIT, offered me training in Java for $25,000.

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 02:41 PM PST

    He first called 2 weeks ago, he didn't mention the price and I forgot to ask but I told him I would think about it. I wasn't really interested and forgot all about it.

    A few minutes ago he calls again, I ask for more details, (how long is the training, how long until you can find me a job) then I asked for the price, $25,000. I told him no, I can't afford that, he said I didn't have to pay the entire amount at first, $10,000 upfront, the rest after the training. Of course I said no and then he thanked me and said goodbye.

    Just warning some of you guys, I'm in South California and I think they're targeting people in that area.

    submitted by /u/Niel15
    [link] [comments]

    Any experiences with Zillow in Seattle?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 04:34 PM PST

    It seems like a pretty cool company. Has anyone worked there and if so, what was your experience like?

    submitted by /u/WestPriority
    [link] [comments]

    Got an offer (Toronto). I graduate in May '19. I will continue job hunting, but should I take the offer as well?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:50 AM PST

    Hello everyone. In a dilemma. I will be graduating in May 2019. I have many interviews coming up in the coming weeks, and I am confident I will continue getting more calls until I graduate. I got an offer from a company in Toronto (70k + 10k stock options). I need to get back to them with a decision by the end of this week.

    Firstly, I will research this, but I would also like to know your opinions about the pay. I study at uWaterloo, and have 2 years of internship experience.

    My main question is, can accept the offer now, and reject it if I get a better offer in the coming months? The work and company's product are definitely interesting, but I could find better options in the coming months.

    Sorry, if this is a noob question, but as a soon to be new-grad, I am not sure how I deal with these kinds of situations.

    EDIT: Grammar

    submitted by /u/blacknmellow
    [link] [comments]

    Training juniors...

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 05:46 PM PST

    How do you train junior level employees?

    I've been working with one junior employee for a while on a single task. I've finally gotten him to do a good implementation of his solution through peer review but his code is a mess. I've tried to sit another developer down with him for pair programming but he wants to do it himself. I'm getting tired of leaving comments on his peer review and him going back and fixing it. Sometimes it's finally a good fix or other times it just goes back and forth. This task was supposed to be done almost a month ago.

    I took his code and just fixed up his code myself in an hour since I just want this task to be finished. I didn't push my code though because I don't want to be an asshole, so it's back to just killing my time trying to tell this guy how to write better code.

    Better yet, he picked up two more complex tasks during sprint planning. I don't want to be back in this position of constant review all day of his code that can be fixed in an hour or less by a more trained eye. This guy has also been a difficult developer to train because I have to tell him almost exactly what to do. I'm also training other developers, and I can leave a little more broad comment during peer review and they get the gist of what I'm saying.

    So if a developer is obviously weak, what kind of tasks do you give them? Our lead let's us pick our own tasks during sprint planning and IMO he should not be picking up more complex tasks. I'm not trying to be an ass, he seems like a nice guy but this is just killing my time and I don't want to be back in this position again when he starts working on his next task.

    submitted by /u/jdjebsud
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it usually take for a Entry-Level Developer to become mostly independent?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 03:33 PM PST

    After working a few years in IT, and wanting to get into a role where I get to write code, I finally landed a developer-ish position(mix of development and support operations).

    Been in the role about a month. While I've learned a tremendous amount, I still find myself needing to ask my trainer questions daily. I can see the amount I can do myself growing, but I still don't feel like I'm at the point where I'm mostly working on my own.

    One of the hardest challenges is not figuring out how to write code to accomplish what I want to do, but rather understanding the reasoning behind existing code, the purpose of it, and what the organization's needs are.

    How long did it take you in your first developer job before you felt that you could be assigned a project, and only occasionally need to ask for help?

    submitted by /u/skilliard7
    [link] [comments]

    How are tattoos viewed in offices?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 01:44 PM PST

    I know that as far as modern technology companies go, things like dress code are more relaxed, and other more archaic conventions of offices are put aside for the sake of productivity at all costs, but I was wondering how tattoos play into this. Like obviously face tattoos and whole sleeves must have an impact but would recruiters look down on small tattoos, especially if they are visible?

    submitted by /u/destaver
    [link] [comments]

    About to grab a drink with VP of technology, what to say?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 07:33 AM PST

    I recently joined a company and vp of technology wants to take me out for a few drinks. Company size is ~2000 so I guess that's nice of him.

    When I do see him later, what topic should I focus on? What should I ask so I don't get PIP'd tmr? Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/h197377
    [link] [comments]

    Advice to a CS college student

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:09 PM PST

    I am a CS student in college, and I feel as though the things that I am learning in class are not as useful as they say they are said to be. What are some tips, and things I should learn to do now, that'll help me down the line when I'm looking for internships, and eventually jobs?

    submitted by /u/vpc2513
    [link] [comments]

    Push back graduation for summer internship or apply for full time?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 03:46 PM PST

    I am due to graduate next summer with a couple of decent internships under my belt.

    However I have the option of delaying graduation to Fall, as I'd like to gun for one last hail mary with regards to interning at a big tech company.

    Should I do that, or just apply for full time roles?

    submitted by /u/unknownVarner
    [link] [comments]

    Got an early offer should I accept

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 05:10 PM PST

    I struggled to get a job for my post-graduation. Submitted around 100 application got around 10 interviews so far.

    This week, I surprisedly received an offer from a large company who will provide me with a nice benefits package and acceptable salary at a low life cost area.

    Here is my first problem,

    I am an international student, the offer letter said "you anticipate date is Jan.1st", which I don't think my work authorization will be issued until middle January or possible Feb (They got my document at 1st Nov, and I heard USCIS is super slow during winter). Will this be a problem for me, should I let the recruiter know Jan. 1st will be a problem for me to start my work.

    Also, LinkedIn sent me an email said I'm out of their waitlist and they're ready to proceed to the next interview process. An HR from Cisco called me later today ask me if I can interview with them asap.

    And A lot of companies just start their recruiting process with me in early Dec.

    My offer deadline is three days after receiving the email.

    Should I first secure this offer then still interview with other companies so that I can negotiate the salary or turn it down in the future for a better offer(I felt this is very unethical and could bring me trouble).

    submitted by /u/roastbird
    [link] [comments]

    advice

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 07:21 PM PST

    I have an offer from Boeing and a most likely offer from LockheedM. Boeing's offer letter is for a level 2 swe. LM's is for a sr swe. How big is this difference? I feel like Boeing would be easier to sell to a Big-N vs LM. Anyone have experience transitioning between these two companies to a big-N? How long did you stay there until you moved?

    submitted by /u/okcooldude1
    [link] [comments]

    Fall 2019 Internship/Coops

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 05:04 PM PST

    Hi everyone! When do applications for Fall 2019 internships typically come out? I'm mostly looking at Big N and unicorns. Does anyone know which companies out of those even offer Fall positions? Thank you guys!

    submitted by /u/skippy_the_dolphin
    [link] [comments]

    Note of advice: Take things you hear on this thread with a grain of salt

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:50 PM PST

    Im an applicant with a 4.0 GPA in my masters degree, a top 10 school, more like top 6-7. I had a 3.5 undergrad, and two prior internships with a one year gap of unemployment (took some time off to chill)

    I started applying in August for summer 2019 internships and started having some break downs in October because every time you come on the forums you see someone has been hired for FAANG and is making 200 K.

    People on this forum cuss and curse you out, they will tell you your resume is shit, even though everyone has the same damn resume, just different names. What is pretty common is the majority of this forum is filled with liars.

    Today (and the past few weeks), I got my Amazon coding challenge for software development interns summer 2019 and it clearly states.

    " You will be contacted by our team with the results of your assessment in the weeks to follow your assessment completion. SDE Intern interviewing will not begin until mid-December and will be scheduled on a first come-first serve basis. "

    Meanwhile I think Ive seen over 30 posts on this thread for people claiming they already have offers for summer 2019 and internships are closed theres no hope (For amazon) . So I decided to have a run in with a Snapchat recruiter, who also said, Im EARLY. Many many internships havent started interviewing. This was confirmed when I spoke to two recruiters at career fairs with Lockheed and Boeing.

    Then onto the salaries: Almost everyone here is a Big N making 200 k on their first year. Meanwhile growing up in the bay area, I know 13 friends between apple google and microsoft, all have been working 2 years and their salaries do not cross 175K. Most in the 150 range (Total comp)

    Bottom line here: This forum is filled with jerks. Ive noticed some of the good moderators have left and the new ones are pretty terrible. A lot of people will say what they want because its reddit. And people will think they have the right to put you down, for what ever reason, maybe they have no chance, maybe they are jealous, maybe they are ugly, I dont know. But do know that youre worth the effort you put in and how much faith you have in yourself. Dont give up, and by god means, PLEASE DONT USE THIS SUB to gauge yourself, its filled with liars.

    submitted by /u/throwaway239412
    [link] [comments]

    What's the feeling about Deutsche Bank in NYC?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:18 AM PST

    Is it any different from life at other big banks like JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, UBS, Citi etc? It seems like every time the conversation comes up about work at big banks, everyone has something awful to say about every other bank but their Glassdoor ratings are largely within .5 of each other. Any particular thoughts based on people's experiences?

    Edit: thank you all for the comments

    submitted by /u/curNode
    [link] [comments]

    How old is too old to start a new career?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:28 PM PST

    I have been working in the oil and gas industry (logistics) for almost 20 years and I'm ready for a career change, something that will allow me to work from home at some point. I'm enrolled in a CIS program at Regis and have also been researching and taking a few Udemy Web Dev classes. I am really interested in pursuing a Full-Stack Web Developer career... here's the problem (?): I'm a 50 yo female, just starting down this path. I would really like some honest feedback on whether or not this may potentially keep employers from even considering me. I'm a really YOUNG looking 50, but obviously not right out of college-age looking... it shouldn't matter, but this is a youth/male driven sector and I don't want to let that mentally deter me, unless it truly is a barrier to me and I'm wasting my time. Thank you all!

    submitted by /u/Gardenbuggzz
    [link] [comments]

    Should I consider quitting and looking for another job?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:19 PM PST

    I am fresh out of college and took a job with a rather large company as a software engineer working in Colorado Springs. I was told I would be working as a SWE and working with primarily C/C++, however, on my first day on the job I was told that the job I was hired for was under a contract that is closing down and was thrown into a temp position for the past 5 months. In this temp position I have not written a single line of code or done anything close to computer science related work and basically spend all my time writing word documents for random stuff I get told to do. Now after 5 months my boss contacts me and says he can put me in a developer role, but it requires me to relocate to a Denver which is substantially more expensive. I interviewed with the team for this job and it went very well and I was made an offer. Their offer was for $74k and I currently make $71k. I don't believe that this will be even close to enough to account for the increased cost of living, and this sentiment was shared by my team in my current temp position. I came back to them and made my case in a professional manner and was told the salary is non negotiable. Since I moved out here under the impression I would be working in Colorado Springs, I got an apartment here and signed a lease. They said they would cover about 80% of the cost of breaking my lease and pay for my move to Denver. I am already $3,000 'in debt' (I have to pay this back if I don't stay a full year) to this company for them paying for me to move out here in the first place. Right now it feels a bit like I'm getting fucked around and I'm going to essentially take a pay cut and spend money to get the job I signed an offer letter for. As of right now, it looks like my only two options are to bite the bullet and take the offer or to quit and be out ~$6,000 for the money I will owe the company and my lease.

    submitted by /u/throwaway2242345
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take my last term off school to take an extra internship, or start applying for new-grad jobs?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:17 PM PST

    I have two past internships at small startups and two upcoming internships at Big-N/unicorns. I have the opportunity to take my last term (Summer 2020) off and push graduation back by a term. I was thinking of doing this and interning at one of the Big4 to see what its like (and possibly secure a better return offer), or explore the ML/FinTech fields. Is this an advisable choice, or should I just be graduating on time and applying to full-time roles?

    submitted by /u/StillAddress
    [link] [comments]

    Did I get blacklisted?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 02:25 PM PST

    Just checked my Goldman Sachs application status and it says "candidate has withdrawn from this position", but I definitely did not withdraw. I interviewed at other banks already like JPM, MS, and Barclays and got rejected from all of them. I never received a hirevue or hackerrank from GS.

    submitted by /u/PuzzleheadedMoose1
    [link] [comments]

    .NET Developer in a tough spot

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 12:31 PM PST

    Hey Everyone,

    I've been a software developer at a finance firm in northeast Ohio for almost 3 years (March 2019 will be my 3rd year). 2 months ago I had a sit down with my manager and he had agreed that I was ready for a software developer II title and he thought I was ready to take on more responsibility (which was awesome).

    ....But he never pulled through. He's a pretty busy manager and barely has time for his team let alone other work he has to do (Other than that he's the most lenient boss I've ever worked for and very understanding). So 1 week ago I asked casually "Hey, what about that promotion?" (more professionally of course) and he snapped back at me and said "the team is what matters, not you". So I'm a bit in an awkward spot with my fiancee going though her residency match in March of next year, we don't know where we'll end up. There are currently 2 other Software Developer II job's at my company and I've been staring at them endlessly the past week after I had that last conversation from my boss.

    So all in all, is it worth applying for a Software Dev II position when I know I have to move by June of next year (7 months from now)?

    fyi. A lot of positions at my company offer work from home full time so moving forward, I'd be upfront with them about my situation and moving with working from home in mind when going through the interview processes.

    Thank you for reading

    submitted by /u/Uronurown
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment