• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 20, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - November 20, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - November 20, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - November 20, 2018

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    Note on anonomyizing your resume: If you'd like your resume to remain anonymous, make sure you blank out or change all personally identifying information. Also be careful of using your own Google Docs account or DropBox account which can lead back to your personally identifying information. To make absolutely sure you're anonymous, we suggest posting on sites/accounts with no ties to you after thoroughly checking the contents of your resume.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - November 20, 2018

    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Junior Dev @ Startup: Overwhelmed, underpaid

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 12:11 PM PST

    I began a new job as a fullstack developer at a startup a few weeks ago. While I walked in understanding that the development team was pretty small, little did I know that I would be assigned a project shortly after that is totally unrelated to any of the things the other devs are completing at the moment. While the other devs are working hard on the main product (albeit on separate tasks), I have been assigned a machine learning app that would eventually be presented to potential investors and I have to build it from the ground up. With barely any help or mentorship (only 1 senior in the entire company). And no experience in machine learning.

    While I sort-of enjoy the work, I feel totally overwhelmed and the constant pressure of deadlines is whittling away on me. I had no clue that I would be assigned this type of work, and the offer letter definitely did not describe such a thing. Combine that with the long-ass hours (8am to 6pm) and mediocre pay for the area (55k), I definitely am not a happy camper. The only problem is, I definitely need the experience.

    I'm not sure how I should proceed here. While the app can be a great point to tack onto my resume, this place is super stressful and poorly managed (even for a startup). I'm just lucky most of my coworkers are pretty cool people though.

    submitted by /u/letsaurify
    [link] [comments]

    Used aid on test

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 10:26 AM PST

    I'm a recent graduate who has been struggling with the job search and went to a staffing agency to try and help me out. I was given an aptitude test for python even though my experience with python was limited and from a while ago, I'm better with java and javascript. I figured that since I was a bit rusty I would just use the internet to help me with questions a little bit but when the test came around I found myself looking through python documentation for a lot of the questions for things I should have never known. I think I did way too good on the test for my actual skill level. They called me saying that I did even better than a recent masters student they had and now I don't know what to do. I tried to turn the conversation of jobs more towards java and javascript as opposed to python but he kept saying how well I did on the test.

    What can I do from here to try and save face without openly telling them that I cheated on the online exam?

    I know I did something wrong and immediately recognized my mistake once I finished the exam and thought it over more. I'd appreciate some helpful insight as opposed to telling me how terrible of a person I am, I've already got that down.

    submitted by /u/careerthrowaway109
    [link] [comments]

    Graduated in summer, feeling lost as to where to go from now.

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 07:43 PM PST

    So I graduated in summer from a top Canadian university with a cs degree and math minor. I did not do extremely well and my GPA is a 3.0. This was mostly due to taking very heavy course loads (5-6 cs / math classes a semester) which almost no one did at my university. Most people took an extra year or two to graduate. I have one internship with at the end of my CGEP (community college in Québec) and I worked with my university labs for the 2 summers while I was at university and during my last year. I really enjoyed the university environment and was also in a few cs related clubs.

    I took some time off after graduation as I was burned out from the past few years on non stop work / school. I'm a bit at loss as to what I should do from now on. I've recently started applying for jobs in Canada and I do not have a desire to move to the states like many of my fellow graduates have done. I was considering applying to grad school and probably will but with my low GPA and lack of a honors degree there is a good chance I would not get in.

    I am scared of getting a job where I do not make use of my cs degree and I am concerned about ending up with a job that doesn't use concepts like graph theory, concurrency and synchronization etc. Basically I don't want to be doing mundane tasks that I could do with just what one learns in bootcamp.

    I´ve taken many specialized cs courses including grad ones at my university from ML to distributed systems to computer games. I'm interested in network programming, operating systems and computer games but while I've taken classes I can't really show 'experience' in them in terms of non class projects or work experience. I'm not sure how I could get such a job as they all seem to ask for a lot of experience. Canada does have a vibrant game dev scene but I have heard of bad work conditions. I really enjoy team work and collaboration and had the best time in a 2 semester project course I took making a game.

    So I am lost as to what I should be doing now. Should I spend time learning my interests in more depth? Should I apply for jobs that interest me (not having much luck so far) or just any dev job? Should I put off applying for jobs until I am sure I haven't gotten into any grad program that interests me? I really do not want to work on business software if I can avoid it.

    submitted by /u/cscareergirl
    [link] [comments]

    Am I paranoid? Got a great offer but feeling doubt

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 12:10 PM PST

    Hi everyone! I think I got a great offer... I'm not sure if it's me being paranoid, but I'm not sure what to think.

    Some backstory: I graduated with a BSCS two years ago. I've been working since then, and in that time have had two development jobs for a year each.

    I applied for a junior embedded development role a while back, and just got the news: an offer for a senior embedded developer role for $100k!

    First off, a senior role... is this a thing with two years of experience? And $100k in suburban USA? I threw out the number for lolz and they accepted without negotiating.

    submitted by /u/fortnitenotevenonce
    [link] [comments]

    Who do I negotiate my salary with?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 01:00 PM PST

    I got a call from my (possibly outsourced) recruiter that I would be getting an offer letter in the email (which I did). Before hanging up the call, he said, "If you have any questions about the offer, don't hesitate to contact me"

    The actual offer was extended to me by the Campus Recruiting Lead.

    In the offer letter, it says "If you have any questions about the offer, please contact your Business Unit Coordinator at ___".

    So my question is, who should I contact to negotiate my salary?

    1. Designated Recruiter

    2. Campus Recruiting Lead

    3. Business Unit Coordinator

    submitted by /u/many_thanks
    [link] [comments]

    For those making six figure salaries in Texas, how's life?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 06:41 PM PST

    Considering the low cost of living in Texas, I'm guessing you must be living very comfortably. There's Big 4 satellite offices in the area (Austin), so making six figure salaries should be doable for new grads.

    submitted by /u/snowyb00ts
    [link] [comments]

    Can I apply for a summer internship if I graduate this summer and I start a Master?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 11:34 AM PST

    Hi,

    Next summer I will graduate and after summer I will start with a Master. Thus, am I elegible for an internship? (BTW I live in Europe)

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Internal_Mark
    [link] [comments]

    I have one week to prove UX writing is a full-time position. Please help me save my job.

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 12:24 PM PST

    I am working at a software company currently. I started as QA, moved to tech writing, was asked to step into a junior product manager role and then ended up exclusively working on feature requests.

    I had a really hard time with this, but I have always been passionate about UX and microcopy in the system. I also studied fine art and psychology so I have some background knowledge.

    The company is disorganized and I've been trying to think of where I want to go next. I wanted to be a UX researcher and work with the design team. For the past several weeks I thought this was still happening and was really excited. Today I found out that the design team does not want me and the CEO and my boss called me in to a meeting to say that they no longer think that's a needed position.

    Now, I have a week to prove my case and convince the CEO that microcopy and UX writing is a valid enough position to make it my full time job. If I can't, I will be asked to leave.

    Does anyone have links to studies or information that I could use to put into a presentation? Any personal experience or arguments that you might submit yourself?

    Please help. I really don't want to lose my job.

    EDIT: They also said I could move within the company but I have no idea where I'd go.

    submitted by /u/davincismomma
    [link] [comments]

    Jet.com Software Engineering Internship

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 01:34 PM PST

    I was on the verge of accepting an internship offer, but I received a HackerRank from Jet.com, so wanted to learn more about them.

    I don't know a ton about the company's program - does anyone have insight about their internship program/the company in general?

    submitted by /u/glfkjaklfjafklasf
    [link] [comments]

    Capital One vs Two Trading Frims (Internship)

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 11:29 AM PST

    Hi everyone! I'm currently a sophomore and have been fortunate enough to get a few great offers, but am still having trouble deciding between three companies. Can anyone give me any insight on what they'd pick?

    Location

    Capital One: NYC

    I grew up close to NYC, so it's very familiar and comfortable to me. The biggest thing drawing me to stay is the fact I have so many friends that will be in the area

    Trading Firms: Chicago

    I've only visited Chicago a couple times, but it started to grow on me. I'm mostly worried about the fact that I won't know as much people in Chicago, especially given that the intern classes for these two companies are no more than 4 developers.

    Compensation

    All are in the low six figures, where Trading Firm 1 > Capital One > Trading Firm 2, though not by much. However, Chicago taxes are also lower than NYC. Additionally, Capital One and Trading Firm 1 both offer free housing, but Trading Firm 2 does not.

    Culture

    I definitely enjoyed and fit in most with the culture at Trading Firm 2. Additionally, I liked their office the best, which is an upper level floor and patio that overlooks Chicago. Capital One definitely has a low stress culture and the laid back office with ping pong tables and arcade machines are a manifestation of that. Trading Firm 1 seemed a little more stressful given that it's the smallest of the three by far and it seemed to have a very "work first" attitude, though I still got along with the people that worked there.

    Work

    I love working on low level systems, which is what I'd be doing at one of the trading firms. None of the projects that previous C1 interns told me they worked on excited me as much as having the opportunity to do core development in trading.

    Right now, my thoughts are around trying to balance pay vs culture and work enjoyment vs location enjoyment/low stress. Can anyone offer their insight on what they'd pick or what they think is more important? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/skippy_the_dolphin
    [link] [comments]

    Programming project within my current job

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 01:57 PM PST

    I am on track to graduate this May with a computer science degree. However, due to having a full time job I was unable to do an internship. I had to take an extra elective to get out of it. I am trying to think of other ways to get experience or atleast something to do with a programming project on my resume. I work in the Guard in logistics where I work with lots of spreadsheets for reporting purposes. That being said I use adobe PDF, excel, Microsoft office, oneNote, etc. Since these are government computers I cannot download anything on them. Does anyone have an idea on how I could create a programming project within my current job so I can beef up my resume a little?

    submitted by /u/gmb1993
    [link] [comments]

    where can i practice on an actual sql database online?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 06:54 PM PST

    something practical, sqlzoo seems obtuse and too straight forward

    submitted by /u/sabado225
    [link] [comments]

    Delta Airlines Internship

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 12:45 PM PST

    Has anyone interned at Delta Airlines (software development)? I'm interested in applying next year but couldn't find much information online. If anyone has any experiences to share, that'd be great!

    submitted by /u/curiousanonymous1239
    [link] [comments]

    Does working on cloud infrastructure make you valuable to people who use that infrastructure? Has anyone worked on the cloud and then transitioned to contracting setting things up on the cloud?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 10:21 AM PST

    I already have an offer at the big 4 and I want to transfer to the virtualization servers team for this reason.

    What I mean is someone either working at Mcrosoft (Azure) Aazon (AWS) or Gogle (Gogle cloud) moving onto the cloud space. For example if I on the Amazon EC2 team for a couple years is it easy to transfer that knowledge into

    "Well you work on AWS EC2, and I literally made it, so pay me to help you set up on AWS".

    type situation?

    Has anyone managed to do this? Is it a viable (I mean it's obviously viable but is it a good plan) career path?

    submitted by /u/Venne1139
    [link] [comments]

    What should be the learning roadmap for enterprise Java backend development?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 02:37 PM PST

    I've decided to focus on the Java server-side ecosystem but I'm not sure where to proceed next in my learning. I've learned Core Java (Collections, Concurrency, Generics, OOP, etc.), JDBC, JUnit, and Maven. Still in entry-level understanding and experience though.

    I was advised that whichever path I decide to go into, whether it is Java EE/Jakarta EE or Spring, I still need to learn Servlets/JSP first. Is this right if I want to learn Spring instead?

    Also, if I decide to learn Spring, do I need to some Java EE as well?

    submitted by /u/wty15
    [link] [comments]

    Nurse Contemplating Career Change

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 08:42 PM PST

    I find the advice of the community here to be valuable in many cases and hoping that you might help me out. My first career was in finance. I went into healthcare as a nurse to understand it from the frontlines and look for entrepreneurial opportunities, as well as do something more meaningful. I've always had an interest in computers and would love to have the skill set to develop my own ideas. Lately however, I am thinking of getting out of nursing and into software development full time. I have started learning web development with Free Code Camp and the m1m0 app, and started learning how Github works. I also have some experience learning Ruby from years ago. What is a realistic expectation for getting the fundamental skills needed to obtain a full time paying job? Am I on the right track with these tools and this approach? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/explorenotwar
    [link] [comments]

    Graduation worries, take unexciting job now and be safe or keep looking?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 08:12 PM PST

    I am a senior graduating in the spring with a 4.0 at a no-name state school with an ongoing internship.

    I am extremely worried about graduating without having a job lined up, and even more worried about having to take a job ill hate. I've done about 60 applications and all but two were rejected before even getting a phone screen or coding challenge. The two responses I got where from local companies, A) A software test engineer at a biomedical company and B) a Jr. SWE at a CRM consulting shop focusing on dynamics365. I also have a standing offer at my internship, C) a defense contractor doing enterprise web development in JSF.

    From a previous internship I love working at company A, they have amazing benefits (9.5% company contribution to 401k, free lunch, basically free health care, etc) but testing is about 60/40 manual/automated and I'm worried that I'll get stuck in testing if I go that route. Company B/C have no noteworthy benefits, and I'm worried CRM will pigeon hole me into that field, especially as they described the first 6months being basically configuration, no real coding. Taking a full time offer at my current company would be positive in the sense that of the 3 it gives the most SE experience, but the work is quite boring and the team is disorganized since the division is new to software development.

    I'm just really disappointed that despite all the work I put into doing well in school I'm not getting any offers that excite me. I've considered taking one of these jobs and doing GT's online masters so I can get a known school on my resume and hopefully stop getting filtered before I have the chance to prove myself. What would you do?

    submitted by /u/stemrnd2
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get LASIK

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 07:41 PM PST

    Hi folks, I'm sure this has been asked before but I have some specific questions I just haven't seen answers to.

    I've been wearing contact and glasses for 25 years and have always had issues. Just general discomfort with both. My eyes are sore and tired nearly everyday and I'm lucky to get 8 hours out of them.

    I've finally had enough and had a consultation and scheduled the surgery. However, I have some concerns about nearsightedness and reading glasses. I'm nearing 40 and have already noticed signs of blurred vision up close. No need for reading glasses yet but I maybe a few years out.

    The Dr. I talked with today warned me that the up close blurring might be worse after surgery. My prescription is very weak, -1.50 in both eyes and as of now the best vision I have is about 12-40 inches from my face. I can code all day with no contacts or glasses and feel great.

    The Dr. specifically said that the day after surgery I might need reading glasses to see my monitors clearly. I'm not keen on trading out glasses for glasses.

    If you've been in the same boat as me, what did you chose and what were the results?

    TLDR - Olderish(?) programmer nervous up close vision will suck after LASIK.

    submitted by /u/nooowie
    [link] [comments]

    New grads who are still looking for a job. Here is a great stepping stone!

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 07:39 PM PST

    Disclaimer: I was part of this program. I did the below and have no shame about sharing it. The program is a checklist to upper management that they are engaging with young people. The people who run the program have no idea what they are doing so it is a joke getting a job through this program.

    Figured I'll give back to all those new grads looking to find a job still. This is by the far the easiest interview process I have done. One non technical phone screen. Then an in person on site consisted of one technical session that isn't even close to leet code medium.

    Steps taken:

    1. Apply to the Moody's Analytics Rotation Program.
    2. Spend a year here and get some experience under your belt. Prep/figure out what you want to do next.
    3. Leave to another firm => Profit

    submitted by /u/floodthegates95
    [link] [comments]

    24 year old guy, worth getting a CS degree? I feel lost.

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 07:34 PM PST

    Hi guys. I dropped out of college at 19 because of financial and mental health issues. I was a CS major when I dropped out and have only one year worth of credits. I am 24 years old now and after working dead end jobs, I realized I need to do something with my life. I was deciding if I should either go back to university and do 3 years and complete my CS major or go to a community college and get my Associates in Web Development, which only take me 1 year. My goal is to become a Web Developer. I just don't know which way to go. Is it worth the time and money to get a CS degree? I'm 24 and I don't know if I should waste 3 more years on a degree. Sorry for the long post. I just need some guidance in my life right now. I feel very lost. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SOLODOLOGUY
    [link] [comments]

    What to do about bad desk at new job?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 07:27 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I started a new job this week and it has been going extremely well. I am getting along extremely well with my new boss and team. My boss really wants to work with me and has been amazing. The job seems like a great fit.

    Now, I dont want to sound like a complainer, however, the desk that I was assigned is not too comfortable for me. The team that I joined is part of a group that is around 200 people (my team has 5 people). The other people at my level have cubicles that have taller walls and are semi-private. The cubicle that I was assigned to has VERY short walls and is the middle of a bunch of other cubicles that are the same (and the other cubicle mates are not on my team or the same level). This means that anyone within ~50-100 feet from any direction can look directly at me (and my screen) while I am working. Needless to say, working in a fishbowl like this has been rather uncomfortable for me. I can see why my boss decided to set me up at my assigned cubicle as the other cubicles in our group are all full, and there is not another tall walled cubicle near my group (There are some empty ones across the office). The other jobs that I have worked at at similar levels have not had cubicles like this either.

    Now, down to the main question. What do I do? Do I politely talk my boss about this or do I just deal with it and see if it gets better (like I said, I really like my new boss and team, so I dont want to make any waves.)? How do I bring it up to him? This problem is not too large that I would ever consider quitting, nor does it seem like nothing more than an inconvenience, however, I can already tell that I wont be able to get comfortable at my current cubicle. I dont want to come off to my new boss that I am difficult or picky. I TOTALLY understand that I am the new guy and have no seniority as well.

    Thanks for any advice in advance!

    submitted by /u/yikester20
    [link] [comments]

    Why has there been such a big slide in stocks of major tech companies and what does this imply about the industry, if any?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 03:29 PM PST

    So I think most people have probably heard about the major sell off in tech stocks of the FAANG companies. Why is this happening, and does this indicate a larger trend about the industry, or is it mostly isolated to the big companies?

    submitted by /u/gerradisgod
    [link] [comments]

    Best time of the year for an undergrad to search for summer internships

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 03:27 PM PST

    I was wondering what is the best period of the year to focus on internship searching and applying for summer 2019.

    When do companies post their internship offers? Is it good to spam companies with mails telling them you are open for an internship?

    submitted by /u/vilipche
    [link] [comments]

    Is location negotiable?

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 07:09 PM PST

    I passed the hiring committee for company and now have team matching. I was wondering if location was negotiable and what stage of the process I should bring it up. My "whiteboard exam" was in city A, but I want to work at city B. Is this generally possible / does it ever happen for company? Or even more generally, does this happen for companies?

    submitted by /u/throwaway786867
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment