• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 28, 2018

    Phew, getting nervous!! After 2.5 years of working on our game it's about to go live on the Nintendo Switch eShop

    Phew, getting nervous!! After 2.5 years of working on our game it's about to go live on the Nintendo Switch eShop


    Phew, getting nervous!! After 2.5 years of working on our game it's about to go live on the Nintendo Switch eShop

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:57 AM PST

    There's really not any words that can describe what it feels like when you're about to launch a game. It's like sending your child out into the world. You hope that people will like it, but at the end of the day there's nothing you can do. Emails have been sent, videos have been produced, social media posts have been made, and now you just have to sit back and hope and pray that everything goes according to plan.

    But it's not all nervousness, there's a lot of excitement too! I grew up playing a ton of Nintendo games, and having my game on an official Nintendo console is unbelievable. It's literally a childhood dream come true.

    Anyways, here's to hoping that everyone likes it! Or at least provides some good criticism so that I can improve.

    submitted by /u/mirkwoodfalcon
    [link] [comments]

    Here's 70 models for 3D platform games, public domain licensed so anyone can use it for anything!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:58 AM PST

    Hey all! I've created a package of over 70 different objects, tiles, items, hazards and more. They're perfect for platforming games but I'm sure they may also come in handy when creating different types of games.

    • Includes 5 file formats (FBX, OBJ, DAE, GLTF and STL)
    • 2D sprite renders (isometric and side)
    • Instructions on how to import in the most popular engines

    License: CC0 (public domain), completely free to use in personal, educational and commercial projects (no permission/credit required). Download includes license file.




    Consider purchasing one of our bundles or making a donation if you plan to use the assets, those are much appreciated and ensure that there will be plenty of more assets in the future (6 years and counting!)

    submitted by /u/KenNL
    [link] [comments]

    How to start in game development, making 6 games to help you start out...

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:53 AM PST

    Free LowPoly Cars

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:04 PM PST

    Hey! As always, the packs are posted first on my twitter.

    Hope you like them and use them in any project! (If you use them send me screenshots! i love to see it)


    If you want all the packs in one file or specific models for your game i've made a Patreon!, and i would love if you could support me with a dollar there, it would mean a lot!

    Here's my website if you want to check it out, the packs are there too


    Preview


    Includes:

    • 7 Models in FBX, OBJ and Blend formats.

    Download


    Past Weeks:


    Platformer Pack

    Animated Robot

    Farm Buildings

    Medieval Weapons

    Animated Monsters

    Posed Humans

    Animated Knight

    Farm Animals

    Sci fi guns

    Civilization Buildings

    Animated Fish

    Modular Street

    Ships

    Modular Dungeon

    Spaceships

    Animated Zombie

    Animated Woman

    Animated Man

    Furniture vol.2

    Buildings

    Animated Animals

    Medieval Assets

    Animated Guns

    RPG Assets

    Junk Food

    Nature textured vol.3

    Public Transport

    Airplanes

    Cars

    Nature

    Holiday pack

    Pirate pack

    Animated animals

    Furniture vol.2

    Snow Nature

    Bushes

    Clouds

    Spaceships

    Suburban Pack vol 2

    PowerUps

    Food

    Potions

    Desert

    Medieval Weapons

    Guns

    Space

    Furniture

    Cars

    Nature Vol.2

    Nature Vol.1

    Houses

    Trees


    License: CC0: Public domain, completely free to use in both personal and commercial projects (no credit required but appreciated).


    If you have any questions or problems tell me, i also have my Twitter DMs open! I'll gladly help as soon as i can. If you want you can follow me on Twitter.

    submitted by /u/QuaterniusDev
    [link] [comments]

    Critique my concept! - Friendly Malware: The Game

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:02 PM PST

    tl;dr: What if malware was friendly and was just trying to get to know you. Wouldn't that be a fun game?

    Quick note on if this post belongs: I read over the community rules and did not find a WIPW thread for this week. I'm also not sure if this constitutes a WIP since it has very little work done. If this is the wrong way to discuss this with the /r/gamedev community then my apologies. Any suggestion for a better forum is welcome and encouraged. Also I'm posting on a new account dedicated to these kinds of projects because I think they should be disconnected from my main account.

    What kind of critiques am I looking for?: Really any. Feel free to even disagree that this is a game -- though I think it is and will disagree back (constructively).

    High Level Concept: Players interact with "friendly malware" through a game client. To distinguish "friendly malware" from legitimate malware we will refer to it as friendlyware. The client is also a node for a decentralized network of other players. The nodes trade friendlyware the same way tokens are passed between hosts on any other decentralized ledger system, i.e. Bitcoin, Ethereum. User's tolerance or friendliness towards the visiting friendlyware are scored and ranked on a global "Friendly Leaderboard". High scorers are visited by more, but nicer friendlyware whereas lower scorers are visited by less kosher guests. Players also earn points after each friendlyware interaction that they can spend to write their own friendlyware that will travel to other other nodes in the system.

    Examples:

    • Friendlyware 'A' enters your computer and opens your default mapping application. 'A' tells you they're new in town and needs directions to the nearest bus station. You quickly google and find the address of a near bus stop and give it to 'A'. Truth be told, 'A' is pretty tired and that bus station you chose is a little far so it would be great if you could find one a little closer.

    • Friendlyware 'B' enters your computer. You have a pretty unfriendly leaderboard ranking so 'B' isn't the most ideal guest. In fact, 'B' is a loan shark. But 'B' also has no arms or legs and needs your help. 'B' needs you to email a provided email address and threaten for collection.

    • Friendlyware 'C' is actually your old pal Clippy from Pre-Y2K Microsoft Office. Clippy is having a rough patch and just wants to crash on your couch for a week or two. Clippy won't be super intrusive but for the next two weeks he will 100% be at the forefront bottom right of your screen no matter what application you're on. Sure, sometimes Clippywhistles a little too loud and sometimes he invites his bandmates over to brainstorm but, hey, that's Clippy. He was there when you needed help finding where to edit excel VBA functions in 1998 and you'll never forget that.

    • Friendlyware 'D' is a wild card. At first, 'D' actually seems like a legitimate ransomware. Your computer tells you that 'D' has frozen your files and gives you a bitcoin address to send money to. But very quickly you hear sirens and the audio of a police standoff with 'D'. But 'D' can't go back. You're caught as the unwilling observer of a pretty sticky situation. The computer police make known that they have `D`'s wife and she wants to talk to him. Go ahead, invite her onto your computer. You listen to a beautiful moment as she assures him it'll all be alright. There you go, easy points of the friendly leaderboard with this one.

    These are just some of the first ideas that came to mind. I don't know if they further clarify or confuse what this idea is. Also you can always forcefully remove these programs from your computer through the player client with a penalty to your friendly ranking.

    ---

    Low Level Considerations: Thought has already been put into how to implement this. A whitepaper is in the works. Highlights are:

    • Smart-contract platform: Friendlyware are really just smart-contracts executed by the game client and then verified by other player's clients. So we are limited to using decentralized platforms that have implemented smart-contract layers. Ethereum comes to mind but has a lot of scaling problems that lead to less user friendly dApp/dGame interactions. I'm a fan of Arbitrum, which has yet to be implemented but theoretically solves a lot of those scaling issues. It's worth noting also that smart-contract here means two things. There's the actual smart-contract executed and verified on the decentralized network. These kinds of programs can be pretty limited in functionality. However, our examples include functionality like OS interaction, presentation of audio/visual media, etc. This type of logic doesn't require verification and can be seen as a sort of extended form of the smart-contract run only on the player's client (this is a nuance that might require further clarification so just let me know if it's poorly worded).

    • OS Interaction: As stated, the game client should be able to interact with the operating system in a robust but safe way. For instance, the game client should have permissions to open and interact with other applications on the computer (see example 1). This is a tricky area because we want to avoid allowing legitimate, harmful malware to travel in our network so we need to limit permissions for the game client. But we also want creative friendlyware so we don't want to too narrowly limit how someone can play with the player's OS. Suggestions are desired for this aspect of implementation.

    Concluding remarks: This is an idea I have had ruminating for a long time so I'm excited to hear some feedback on it. I think this is one of those ideas better clarified through answering questions so please just let me know if something needs to be elaborated on. I left out some of the more technical considerations of implementing a decentralized application/game idea for conciseness but am willing to discuss any detail no matter how technically specific. Thank you for reading!

    p.s. For fans of obscure playstation 2 games, this is sort of like Magic Pengel but instead of painting you write malware and instead of the playstation 2 its a far less user friendly, decentralized console. Hope that inspires

    submitted by /u/clippyisabadfriend
    [link] [comments]

    How to create seamless platform/ground sprites without a blocky aesthetic?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 04:23 AM PST

    I'm thinking of games like Ori and the Blind Forest and Rifter.

    It's easy enough to make levels using tilemaps, but that won't work for my current game. I need a seamless surface, without any (unintended) walls. Think smooth slopes.

    And I'm unfamiliar with other methods.

    Is it just a number of assets that the developers arranged seamlessly? But then what about Rifter? Do the devs create large chunks of land, say in Photoshop, and directly import those into their games?

    What's the process here, and do you have any useful tips?

    submitted by /u/Sib3rian
    [link] [comments]

    1 million downloads will only make you 30k $ in revenue , hard industry ?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 02:24 AM PST

    Hello guys . I've been planning to start making casual games for mobile but i found that the revenue in the industry is low even for big companies only 0.025$ per player " according to SENSORTOWER" . IAP generate more revenue but the game should be very engaging which is very hard for ( casual games ) ...

    so what is the best business plan for mobile games ?

    https://i.redd.it/vjjtfyu0s1121.png

    submitted by /u/khalilArt
    [link] [comments]

    Intermediate FPS Controller (E04) | Unity 2018

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:56 AM PST

    How To Seamlessly Loop Audio (Music & SFX)

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:10 PM PST

    How we managed to implement our uncontrolled cellular growth system in this creepy horror FPS prototype (Details in the first comment)

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:08 PM PST

    Where can I find game testers?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:09 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm currently releasing my third game, and since is a more complex game, I wanted to pre-release it to some testers!

    Any clues on where to find them? All of my friends and family are already testing!

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/mukkadruid
    [link] [comments]

    SOLVED! Items spawned would be trapped within other models. After many 'solutions' I finally landed on this unique method that works perfectly.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:42 AM PST

    Part 1/3 on my blog series on how you can achieve really satisfying ball rolling for my soon-coming game Rollossus! (Specifically in UE4 but could be applied to other engines)

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:30 AM PST

    Why do you think Fallout 76 is such a mess?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:24 AM PST

    So I believe Bethesda's keep the old engine but update it has finally reared its ugly head and they reached moors law, if you didn't know Bethesda acquired the game company BattleCry studios in March 2018 and put them too work on rewriting the creation engine to become a Small MMO engine, they literally had the task of recoding all of the code to be multiplayer friendly and mentioned the extreme difficulty of doing this to the Quest systems. I have a feeling they really were not given enough time to release on November and before the christmas rush, as well as had to use an engine that was initially built for Mirrowind and called Gamebryo, but renamed and had its codebase moved over for Skyrim(2011 engine code), and now that codebase again is being forked for multiplayer and I have no idea how on earth they thought this was gonna be a good idea.

    I do wonder one thing though, many mods tried to add multiplayer to Skyrim and I wonder if they did a better a job with less resources ? Ofcourse they clearly wernt doing it to the scale of bethesda, but those modders literally would have had more experience making the creation engine multiplayer than battlecry studios (now called Bethesda Austin) as they were working years on it, while Bethesda Austin literally joined the project in late 2017(?).

    Either way this is bethesdas lowest metacritic score and many players are angry, Was it just not the right team or their inability to use their new engine they are working on? Are the bethesda Devs too scared of changing pipeline ?

    submitted by /u/RomeoDog3d
    [link] [comments]

    I'm worried about working with a team.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:21 AM PST

    First the little bit of background needed. I am in gr 11 and taking lots of computer courses. I've been interested in coding for several years and consider myself good for my level. I've always wanted to make video games and have been learning as much practical and theory things I can. I plan on making this my career.

    I've always wanted to write stories, make music, do art, code, etc. I've always wanted to do too much so I decided to focus on a way to combine them with video games. But now that's the problem, I want to do too much. I want it my way I guess. But I don't know how to make good art (Pixel is about all I can do, though it is also my favourite style). I don't know how to make music but I can think up interesting tunes.

    I'm currently working with a friend in the hopes that we can make games together. I found him because he was proclaiming his art skills. I've now found that he isn't anything special (He's good, but not great) and I feel that I can do what he does just fine and I don't have to discuss which is better because it's me doing it.

    There's nothing official happening yet, still hopes and dreams. But I'm already thinking it might be better for me to just go solo and make the game I want. Though haven't a second opinion and more man power could help.

    What do you guys think? What are your experiences starting up? Anything is welcome, let's talk. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/WackoDesperado2055
    [link] [comments]

    Okay, so I'm crazy. I'm going to make that game that's been kicking around my brain for the last year or so. How should I approach this as a solo dev with a day job?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:18 AM PST

    THE GAME: The basic idea is you're a tiny person living in a tiny society that does deliveries to other tiny communities on their pet bird (with no fast-travel). Gameplay is some management (does it make more sense to travel X distance for Y money and go through Z danger?) but mostly navigating through forests/etc over and around obstacles, collecting items on the way, avoiding threats like predators, and taking care of yourself and your bird. Lots of stuff to hammer out but I think this should give me an idea of what I'm looking at dev-wise aka decent-sized game map, some sort of flying mechanic, day/night cycle...I don't want a fighting mechanic for fighting the predators so much as "you can't land here, it's not safe" and if you insist on it then you can use a smoke grenade to get away and if you don't have any left then you're boned.

    ME: I'm a web designer (with some dev) and I teach game programming summer camp with GameMaker and Unity but am still very much a beginner. I'm hoping my general experience with programming and my patience for figuring stuff out will save me here. Is this incredible naive? I'd like to think that anybody could build a game as long as they were realistic about their expectations.

    I also do illustration and graphic design freelance but basically no experience building 3d models or mapping them. However I'm totally comfortable using free assets from the Unity store and just having a non-cohesive aesthetic for a while until I get around to learning how to do that.

    My big concerns here are:

    - So I should use Unity 3D right? Unless there's another program with good documentation that would work better for this? My impression of Unity (I only have about 30 hours experience with it though) is that it's simple enough to get started with but very capable of scaling your project up. I also like that it has good documentation and a busy community as I expect I'll be referring to those a lot.

    - If I do use Unity, should I go for C# (since this is what most people use and therefore most of the help I find will be in this) or UnityScript (since I already know and am very comfortable with JavaScript?)

    - Is this technically possible or am I just too inexperienced?

    - Is this stupid? My only motivator for spending all this time and effort learning something totally outside of my field is that I want to play this game. I guess it'll take at least a year to get a playable demo. This is stupid, isn't it.

    EDIT: Also very interested in ideas to game the skills I already have and/or make this easier! I'm not married to the idea of it being pure 3d, I just want it to capture the feeling of a long thru hike lol.

    submitted by /u/scumbagotron
    [link] [comments]

    Should I attend game industry events? What are the benefits?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:10 AM PST

    Hi,many of fellow devs attend game industry events even before they release, with playable demos.I wonder what are the benefits of attending such events? Can you guys provide any data or your experience? What can I expect about those events as a developer?

    If you have any data, articles or just a list of events worth attending (mostly Europe for now, as I know major ones in USA). I would greatly appreciate your help!

    EDIT: I'm an indie developer so please provide the best for indies. I focus on mobile games, keep this in mind. My game if you're interested for reference

    submitted by /u/attraxion
    [link] [comments]

    On the 'Killing Children' topic

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 10:36 AM PST

    Why is it so bad when a character that can destroy buildings, haze cities to the ground, murder women and old folks, steal and manipulate people ... can't kill children?

    submitted by /u/PedroCPimenta
    [link] [comments]

    What makes a demo good?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 10:18 AM PST

    I'm in the process of developing a game demo for a CTSO competition, and I was wondering what makes a good demo?

    Off the top of my head I would say that showing all the unique elements of your game and how it plays is the most important. Is there anything else?

    submitted by /u/taketheb8m8
    [link] [comments]

    Giant list of Game Marketing How-to Videos

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 02:34 PM PST

    I gathered up and searched for all of the youtube videos I could find on Marketing Games with a focus on indie game marketing and created a playlist. Thought this might be of use to people here so I wanted to share:

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrbfNNOks3piPW_PlJWcCdLz-IBNu0Pl1

    submitted by /u/ironbellystudios
    [link] [comments]

    Blender 2.8 Modeling Tip : Snap & Merge

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:00 AM PST

    How to Get Hired at a Game Studio: Game Engineer Edition

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:54 AM PST

    Does anybody know why my cube when not pressing anything slowly moves to the right? Im using Unity and C#

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:35 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment