• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 18, 2018

    List of studios actively hiring:

    List of studios actively hiring:


    List of studios actively hiring:

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 11:43 PM PST

    I reviewed over 4,500 sites by hand to find the ~530 that are actively recruiting. Studios posting at least 4 full time positions made the list. www.gamedevstudios.com

    submitted by /u/VegasVandelay
    [link] [comments]

    raylib turned 5 years old today

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 07:17 AM PST

    raylib, the simple and esay-to-use C library to learn and enjoy videogames programming just turned 5 years old today.

    It's been 5 years of intensive development and continuous improvement, with lots of contributors all around the world to this free and open-source project and more than 1000 students learning and having fun with it.

    Along this time, platform support has grown to more than 8 platforms, including Raspberry Pi in native mode and HTML5 through Emscripten.

    Thanks to its lack of external dependencies, bindings to more than 12 programming languages have been created on this time.

    raylib ecosystem also included some interesting projects like raymath, a C math library for gamedev, rlgl, a multi-version OpenGL abstraction layer or raygui, an immediate-mode gui library.

    It's been more than 12000 man-hours invested in raylib to date and today, looking back to that weekend when I decided to draft a simple and easy-to-use framework to teach gamedev programming, really find incredible how this project has gone so far.

    submitted by /u/raysan5
    [link] [comments]

    Instead of a quadtree, why not utilise tiles?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 09:24 AM PST

    If you have a game with a tile-based map, would the below approach be more efficient than a quadtree for collision detection:

    Say you have a 2D array holding your map, an array for your bad guys and an array for your bullets.

    Each item in the map would have arrays holding bad guys and bullets that are in it (these arrays would just hold the index of each bad guy or bullet in their respective arrays). So if the bad guys at index 7 and 9 in the bad guys array were both in the top left tile of the map, it would look something like:

    map[0][0].badguys = [7, 9];

    Each game loop, every time a bad guy or bullet moves, you check if it has moved into a new tile, and if so, update the map accordingly.

    Then when it comes to collision detection, you only need to check things that are inside the same tile - or maybe you'd check a 3x3 grid of tiles centered on the object in question, just in case they overlap into another tile. For objects that are larger than the size of the tile, you'd use a larger grid of course.

    So there would be a lot of updating the values in these arrays, but you'd cut down the amount of collision calculations significantly. What I'm thinking is, a quadtree doesn't take the size of the object into account - you might have four objects in opposite corners of their quadrant, but you'd still be checking collision on them even though they might be too far away to be touching.

    However, updating the arrays every game loop might negate the benefits. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/StarkeyTone
    [link] [comments]

    Is it viable to write a fully-featured engine in a less performant language?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 08:15 AM PST

    I know c++ is the gold standard for game engines due to it's performance and memory management. Is it possible, and if possible then viable, for engines to be written in other languages? How big of a performance hit would a game engine coded purely in java or python or C# take?

    I understand it's not the "best" option, but is it really an option at all?

    submitted by /u/Math-Code-Love
    [link] [comments]

    My 7-Day Gamedev Guide for absolute beginners

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 11:15 AM PST

    I'm about to start the alpha of my game, what did I forgot ?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 03:27 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I'm making a investigation game and all the core features of the game are ready as well as the first story which takes 10 to 30 minutes to finish.

    It's my first game in solo so I had to set everything.

    Here is the list of what I made to prepare the alpha (Steam Early Access), did I miss something ?

    • Game: Main menu, welcome popup, exit, main game with first story, save, load, EN&FR
    • Discord: studio channels, roles, dedicated channels for the game to receive feedback, suggestion, bug reports
    • Twitter: set & ready
    • Steam: waiting Steam confirmation for paperwork to create the product page

    I want to share the alpha as soon as Steam validation is done.
    Thank you

    submitted by /u/kaiirin
    [link] [comments]

    Postmortem of INVERSUS, talking about Steam, console launches and analyses sales spikes

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 01:23 AM PST

    ISO: Good GDC style talk about UI design for Diablo style games.

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 07:56 AM PST

    Hi gamedev, I'm specifically looking for a talk about the main action bar and hp/mana display area. Hopefully this talk would take into account camera angles and zoom levels if possible. I'm struggling to find the exact right solution and I'm wondering if anyone here has a good resource for research. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ekimarcher
    [link] [comments]

    Total newbie here, looking for some basic advice....

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 07:18 AM PST

    Where would the community recommend for the best free sprites to use in Game Maker?

    submitted by /u/KingZogofHongKong
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Project: Import CAD File through GUI built in GUI and create an environment automatically (Building on a plane)

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 10:27 AM PST

    Hello, hope everyones having a great weekend. I am working on a unity project, and I have run into a big hindrance. The unity project I am working on requires me to import a CAD file through a GUI, and dynamically create a environment of that CAD file (Building for example). How would I go about it?

    submitted by /u/CapableCauliflower
    [link] [comments]

    Soundtrack Sunday #268 - Bold Vision

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 07:54 PM PST

    Post music and sounds that you've been working on throughout this week (or last (or whenever, really)). Feel free to give as much constructive feedback as you can, and enjoy yourselves!

    Basic Guidelines:

    • Do not link to a page selling music. We are not your target audience.
    • Do not link to a page selling a game you're working on. We are not your target audience.
    • It is highly recommended that you use SoundCloud to host and share your music.

    As a general rule, if someone takes the time to give feedback on something of yours, it's a nice idea to try to reciprocate.

    If you've never posted here before, then don't sweat it. New composers of any skill level are always welcome!


    Previous Soundtrack Sundays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    How to implement a Finite State Machine in JavaScript

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 10:10 AM PST

    I have enjoyed coding state machines for a long time. Here's an article I wrote about a specification language I've come up with called Frame Machine Notation as well as a simple implementation strategy for any object-oriented language.

    https://medium.com/@mark.truluck/how-to-code-a-time-machine-9c5b02ba270c

    submitted by /u/framelanger
    [link] [comments]

    Intermediate Controller E02 | Unity C# 2018

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 09:57 AM PST

    I finally figured an idea for balancing my fighting game

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 09:57 AM PST

    I think since I have such a high list of characters I will first focus on one style, that is a horror based fighting game with all horror themes with a cast of around 20 characters all together. And maybe one day I can focus on a fantasy style and sic-fi style game so the themes fit in place.

    I'll try and get a prototype going with at least 2 characters for this horror themed game, I'm shooting for this one to be in full 3d.

    Here's going to be the big issue, since the characters that would be based around horrific iconic killer themes, this game would be gruesome. Some of my ideas may sound a little too gruesome that might even surpass Mortal Kombats level of violence and gore and this may reduce the chances of it selling cause of the gore and violence. Even I find some of my ideas a bit disturbing like the finishing moves I want to program but it goes with the theme and taking it away might ruin the games purpose yet I'm afraid if I keep the violence it will reduce sales and if kids get ahold of the game, many parents might freak out.

    What do I do in this situation? Keep the gore and blood which might only appeal to hardcore horror fans and fighting fans? Or tone it down where it will probably only appeal to hardcore fighting fans and a few game casuals but loses it's theme?

    submitted by /u/GiftedSword2299
    [link] [comments]

    How valuable am I?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 09:49 AM PST

    Sorry if this post starts off to sound like a weird, existential ploy, lol. I'm graduating my last semester for Game Design and I'd just like some help getting placed in the industry.

    I'll link to my portfolio below but also give some context here. I've been applying to different studios for junior developer positions, as well as QA internships and junior gameplay programmer internships. I'm just worried I won't 'stack up' to others applying and wanted someone else's opinion. I switched majors and came to programming a little late. I have intermediate knowledge of C++, Javascript, and Python,(As in, I can read/write to files, create/maintain objects and functions, as well as data structures). Still, my main expertise and comfort area has been scripting in Unreal Engine 4. I'm still going to apply for those, "what if", scenarios,(cause' why not?), I'd just like from insight from anyone who has it. If not, what would be some steps to making myself more marketable/applicable to these positions? Thanks a bunch.

    My Portfolio: josephkeller.net

    submitted by /u/AmericanWonton
    [link] [comments]

    Working on a Game is starting to feel like a tedious chore. How can I prevent this to stay motivated?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 02:09 PM PST

    Is there any things unique things you guys do?

    I mean things that I can't find in Self-Help articles about being a game developer. Oh yeah, I've also read that one "Getting Started" article that's on this sub-reddit.

    Just so you know.

    submitted by /u/VirtuaBlueAm2
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a slightly curved monitor. Is it bad for game design/programming and modelling?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 01:43 AM PST

    Im buying a curved monitor and Im just a hobbyist so I do a bit of everything. Does the curve have a bad impact?

    submitted by /u/xElHusky
    [link] [comments]

    How and Why to use Delegates in your C# Unity Game

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 08:41 AM PST

    How do you design a mini game?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 08:33 AM PST

    What is your technique for designing a simple game that is easy to learn and hard to master small games?

    i just don't know where to start what to think about when designing a simple game.

    submitted by /u/Raminlich
    [link] [comments]

    Keep getting a Node-pre-gyp when trying to deploy on Heroku

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 06:36 AM PST

    Result: -----> Node.js app detected -----> Creating runtime environment NPM_CONFIG_LOGLEVEL=error NODE_ENV=production NODE_MODULES_CACHE=true NODE_VERBOSE=false -----> Installing binaries engines.node (package.json): 0.10.x engines.npm (package.json): 1.2.x Resolving node version 0.10.x... Downloading and installing node 0.10.48... Bootstrapping npm 1.2.x (replacing 2.15.1)... npm 1.2.x installed -----> Building dependencies Installing node modules (package.json + package-lock) > bcrypt@3.0.2 install /tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/node_modules/bcrypt > node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build /tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/node_modules/bcrypt/node_modules/tar/lib/create.js:4 const hlo = require('./high-level-opt.js') ^^^^^ node-pre-gyp ERR! UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION node-pre-gyp ERR! stack SyntaxError: Use of const in strict mode. node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Module._compile (module.js:439:25) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:474:10) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Module.load (module.js:356:32) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Module.require (module.js:364:17) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at require (module.js:380:17) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Object.<anonymous> (/tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/node_modules/bcrypt/node_modules/tar/index.js:4:30) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Module._compile (module.js:456:26) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:474:10) node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Module.load (module.js:356:32) node-pre-gyp ERR! System Linux 4.4.0-1031-aws node-pre-gyp ERR! command "node" "/tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/node_modules/bcrypt/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build" node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/node_modules/bcrypt node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v0.10.48 node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.11.0 node-pre-gyp ERR! This is a bug in `node-pre-gyp`. node-pre-gyp ERR! Try to update node-pre-gyp and file an issue if it does not help: node-pre-gyp ERR! <https://github.com/mapbox/node-pre-gyp/issues> npm ERR! Error: Method Not Allowed npm ERR! at errorResponse (/tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/.heroku/node/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/cache/add-named.js:260:10) npm ERR! at /tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/.heroku/node/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/cache/add-named.js:203:12 npm ERR! at saved (/tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/.heroku/node/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/npm-registry-client/lib/get.js:167:7) npm ERR! at Object.oncomplete (fs.js:108:15) npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this *entire* log, npm ERR! including the npm and node versions, at: npm ERR! <http://github.com/npm/npm/issues> npm ERR! System Linux 4.4.0-1031-aws npm ERR! command "node" "/tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/.heroku/node/bin/npm" "install" "--production=false" "--unsafe-perm" "--userconfig" "/tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/.npmrc" npm ERR! cwd /tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310 npm ERR! node -v v0.10.48 npm ERR! npm -v 1.2.8000 npm ERR! code E405 npm ERR! npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in: npm ERR! /tmp/build_4cec93aaaa3979ff66f1bd26ae0c5310/npm-debug.log npm ERR! not ok code 0 -----> Build failed We're sorry this build is failing! You can troubleshoot common issues here: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/troubleshooting-node-deploys Some possible problems: - This version of npm (1.2.8000) has several known issues - consider upgrading to the latest release (6.4.1) https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/nodejs-support#specifying-an-npm-version Love, Heroku ! Push rejected, failed to compile Node.js app. ! Push failed 

    I tried to fix the error by updating NPM and node to the latest versions and changing them in the package.json file but when I rerun it the log still shows the old versions for some reason. I'm using a modified version of Browser quest's code if that helps any. I changed the package.json URL to the URL of my GitHub where I have a modified version of Browser quest but there seems to be a problem somewhere that I can't figure out. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/optimalsuccess
    [link] [comments]

    How does multi-agent pathfinding in games like Prison Architect & Planet Coaster work?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 01:19 PM PST

    How do they have so many agents (usually) taking the shortest path between any given two points, in a procedurally generated world, without tanking the frame rate?

    Is it just efficient A*, or is some other algorithm suited better this?

    submitted by /u/HighCaliber
    [link] [comments]

    Close to quitting. Any advice?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 12:23 AM PST

    Posting because I'm starting to believe that I don't know where to go from here. After struggling for months trying to even get the basics of movement down, trying various engines out, being bounced around from tutorial to tutorial, and then being told that said tutorial is bad because it's not being taught "the right way".....then getting recommended different lessons altogether that quite frankly do nothing to help me understand what I'm doing. Every video just feels like walking into a high level foreign language course. I know starting and stopping projects is a huge problem among beginner devs, but I feel like I'm doing that just with *learning* how to make games. I have no coding skill and can't seem to grasp even the basics concepts whether it be visual scripting (I hated using Bolt with a passion), or traditional scripting. And the only other people I had to work on any sort of project with are all busy with their professional careers.

    I guess through all of this rambling, I'm trying to say: I don't really know what to do or how to go about learning how to programming or even game development entirely. But after almost a year and a half, I'm already starting to feel overwhelmed and burnt out by trying and constantly failing. Not the failing itself, but feeling like I'm not really going anywhere. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/HopelessDevThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Level design ideas?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 04:08 AM PST

    I'm a (very) beginner level designer and 3D artist currently working in a CS:GO map. I started learning about this part of game development in February of this year when I decided to make a UE4 game but I abandoned the project due to lack of experience, then I started mapping in Source's Hammer Level editor.

    I've learned a lot while working in this CS map that is almost finished, but now I have no idea what should i do next to improve my skills in LD and 3D modeling. Could you list some level designing ideas (Not very specific like "a train station in L4D2" but something like "a map using this engine or this level editor")

    submitted by /u/Toriality
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment