• Breaking News

    Monday, November 26, 2018

    Interview Discussion - November 26, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Interview Discussion - November 26, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Interview Discussion - November 26, 2018

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - November 26, 2018

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to bounce back from being fired for underperformance?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 04:13 PM PST

    I was recently fired from my first software engineer job at a high frequency trading company. I had been there one year.

    I was officially fired for underperformance, which I think is reasonable. I was definitely the worst developer on my team, and I was often overwhelmed by the tasks I was given. I asked for help, but I just wasn't up to their standards.

    What's the best way to bounce back from this? I was thinking about looking for jobs with lower expectations where I'll have a better chance of being successful, but I don't know if that's the best way to go.

    submitted by /u/BounceBack20212
    [link] [comments]

    Qualcomm vs Goldman Sachs

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:01 PM PST

    I've been pretty fortunate in getting 2019 internship offers from these companies here in my second year. I'm just looking for opinions on how this could turn into a full time job or career after since I'll graduate in 2020.

    Any opinions, or advice on either internship programs are appreciated!

    EDIT: Qualcomm is offering 38$ an hour Goldman Sachs is offering 48$ an hour

    I live in San Diego already and have a car so Qualcomm I'd just commute no biggie.

    Moving to New York means getting an apartment since they don't offer that for GS

    submitted by /u/whereismikehawk
    [link] [comments]

    Why does front-end dev get so much flak?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:50 PM PST

    I would consider myself more of a "back-end" developer, but I'm trying to break into more SCSS/JS/PHP/etc. to brush up on my front-end skills and work on more web app projects. I feel like every day on r/programmerhumor I see some joke about PHP or JS, and it makes me wonder why? In my experience so far, it's very much its own, very useful, field of expertise.

    submitted by /u/bachmanityinsanity5
    [link] [comments]

    Does an online course certification on Machine Learning have any value? I see a lot of people on my LinkedIn sharing Coursera certifications related to ML and Data Science

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:44 AM PST

    And by a lot of people I mean people who are already professionally working on Data Science or ML.

    I already have a degree on Applied Mathematics so I am not asking "can an online certificate work as a degree?" which the answer is an obvious no.

    My question is, why are people sharing these certificates? I recently bought a course on Udemy so I'm curious, can I use certification from it as an "additional indication" of experience with ML?

    Most certificates I see are from Coursera so not sure if there is any important difference between Udemy and Coursera certificates.

    If there is no value, why are professionals really sharing and including these certificates on their LinkedIn?

    submitted by /u/Xastien
    [link] [comments]

    Don't care about career but don't want to be poor. How to spend my time to maximise my skills to remain employable.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:31 PM PST

    I struggled most of my twenties wondering why I was never that motivated by an illustrious career or used to feel anxiety about long commutes or 50 hour work weeks when everyone else seemed to be able to pull it off without many complaints or were even proud of it.

    And I admitted to myself a couple of years ago that I just don't care about having a career. I want to work in software (insofar as I need to be employed) but I do not want to make it my life. If I envision my ideal life it is one that is unencumbered by debt, children and suburban woes and one instead filled with adventure and working sabbaticals.

    I am however intellectually curious and there are a lot of aspects of software development I enjoy and don't want to leave the field.

    So I'm asking for opinions on areas of software development that are relatively easy to learn and become proficient in that will remain in demand in the future so that I can attempt to hedge this riskier lifestyle that I want to pursue.

    Anyone else who feels the same way and has taken steps in this direction?

    submitted by /u/AdministrativeBad4
    [link] [comments]

    How to position myself to work in Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality after college?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 02:40 PM PST

    Hi guys, I'm currently a computer science major in college who wants to work in AR/VR after college. How should I position myself to do so? I am planning to get a masters degree immediately after my bachelors (it only takes one additional year at my school - 5 year bs/ms program, and it's free with a TAship). Should I specialize in Artificial Intelligence or Computer Graphics?

    What courses should I be taking as an undergraduate? Computer Graphics? Computer Vision? Artificial Intelligence? Is math useful in this field - and if so, what math?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/csObsession
    [link] [comments]

    How does one overtake an undocumented fragile codebase?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:06 PM PST

    Hey guys, I guess this question is for people who have been through this issue. So, i recently joined a startup company on 3 month contract to hire basis, where my goal by then end of three month is to take over the code maintenance and developing new features from an offshore consultant they were contracting with. The problem is that there is no code documentation, no unit tests written plus the code notations have wrong spellings. Also, if you fix an issue or make any small changes to the code, it tends to break something else. The code has so many abstraction layers that I am confused so many times as to how things are working. The codebase is written in Node JS with Typescript and they have written the code in object oriented style but it is confusing me on what exactly is happening. I also had a knowledge transfer session with the developer there for week (late in night), but due to language barrier and the developer themselves being confused causes more confusion on my end. So, I was wondering if anyone here on this sub who faced a challenge like this, how did you overcome it and what tips and suggestions would you give to overtake the codebase successfully!

    PS: My supervisor is very flexible and understands the problem I am going through. Since, it is a 2 year old startup, I expected things would not be silky smooth. Also, I am a recent college grad and I only have one internship experience and developing full stack application for one other startup company.

    TLDR: Need to take over undocumented codebase in 3 months time. Need tips and suggestions on how to overtake it successfully from an offshore consultant.

    submitted by /u/schumiman
    [link] [comments]

    Niantic coding challenge?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 05:16 PM PST

    Just received a 30min coding challenge from Niantic.. what to expect?

    submitted by /u/Swaggarius
    [link] [comments]

    Help deciding between a 'career starting' job and a 'good lord that pays a lot' job

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 05:47 PM PST

    Hey,

    I recently graduated and after applying to a lot of places ended up accepting an offer in the middle east, in an area I have no interest in, solely because it pays way more (3-4x) than any other graduate job I could find. The contract is for two years.

    Also received an offer for a job that pays nowhere near as much, but looks like it could be a good foundation for an interesting career.

    Really torn between backing out of the job I already accepted (only real penalty is paying the cost of the flight there) to start my career now, or finishing the two year contract, saving a large amount of money, and coming back with a good chunk of cash two years later.

    Big downside would be coming back with no new experience in the field I'm interested in.

    There's the additional non-career aspects to consider like moving a random country to do something I don't have an interest in, with multiple time zones and an expensive flight between me and all my friends.

    Has anybody done a similar thing before? Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/throwaway2790652
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to switch career pathways in the tech industry?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:46 PM PST

    Hello I have a quick question.

    Is it possible to switch fields such as IT to something more technical such as software engineering? How does one even switch fields similar to these? Does that mean that they have to learn different skills?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/MasterWaheed
    [link] [comments]

    A day in the engineering office

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:29 PM PST

    I got invited by a friend to his company's engineering area of the office to talk to the software engineers and get a sense of how they work in a team. This is a very big finance/data company based in NYC. Obviously, I don't see this as an opportunity to get a job/internship out of it, but an opportunity to talk to someone in the industry.

    So, what are some good questions to ask them for the sake of having a meaningful conversation?

    submitted by /u/YellowWolfie
    [link] [comments]

    Deciding to stick it out or jump ship.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 10:36 AM PST

    Throwaway account for obvious reasons.

    I've been at my current job since June of last year. I spent 6 or so years before teaching myself everything I know about computers, and completely skipped over College.

    I joined a small, but oldish startup (working from home) with a rocky engineering history (Bad CTO's, lazy people, things done just plain wrong, and a lot of discontent between engineering and the other parts of the company) I started on a contract for 3 months, and then became a full time employee and went from 25/hour with 40 hour weeks to salaried at 65k/year.

    Earlier this year, the company went completely under, and couldn't make payroll. My boss, the CTO, shielded engineering from this, and took us all to his own previously created corporation to either do contract work together, or separately. We ended up losing another guy, our "full stack" guy (who, honestly, couldn't find /dev/null if it was right in front of him with big red arrows), and a while after that our "devops" guy, who was seriously great with kubernetes.

    Around the time the company went under, I had a serious breakdown and ended up being hospitalized. I had put a lot of emphasis on my career, and I felt like I was failing. But I came back, because it was seriously above any money I could make anywhere else, and other offers really weren't flooding in.

    Me and my boss ended up negotiating a return to the company as full employees, with all our options immediately vesting. We signed that back in August, and have been going it alone since then. That was around the time I was promised a serious raise, from 65k/year to 120k/year since I've written probably about 60% of the system, and I'm the main and only engineer really doing the most work on the system. My boss does advise, tell me what to do and when to do it, and we deliberate when making changes.

    Recently, two consultants were brought in at a higher level to help the company get revenue up in hopes of selling the company to prospective buyers. This has created a bit more of a "rush" feeling, and it started weighing on me. So I sent in my resignation this previous Tuesday, pretty late at night. The next day my boss called me, and said that he understood. We talked about what was bothering me most, my plans (Leave the company, immediately start looking for work, and live on a decent amount of savings until I can find something else.) and decided that I should take the week and give an answer today, and that he would keep me updated. I haven't heard from anyone at the company since.

    The thing is this has caused a bit of a storm in the company. Being the only dedicated engineer, and my boss already overworked and eyeing the door himself, everyone freaked out, so they made some changed. A product manager was decided to be placed at the head of another team that engineering deals with regularly, who actually understands what we're doing, and we have a good relationship with, and 2 other underperforming slackers got a fire lit under their asses before they get fired, or were fired and I wasn't told.

    I took the week, and I haven't really done much. I honestly still feel like leaving. I've obviously been promised a lot, I was told I'd get a raise by the end of the year, but all I've really gotten is delays, more rushed features and fixes (which has taken a serious toll on the quality and organization of the code base), and a new problem every day.

    So my question is, should I stick it out? I think I have a pretty decent amount of leverage. I have around 20k-30k in backpay (that I was told I wouldn't get if I leave), stock options that are vested and that would pay out even if I was gone and the company was sold, and I am the only engineer that has a deep knowledge of the system, and on top of all that, the CTO has previously expressed to me that if I left, he probably would too.

    I was wondering if I might be able to leverage all of these things and have another legally binding contract with the terms that.

    • I get my raise by a set date

    • I get a lump sum (5k-10k) of my backpay by a set date

    • I work maximum 40 hour weeks

    Or I leave. Is that reasonable? Should I cut my losses, lawyer up and get my backpay? Am I being ridiculous?

    submitted by /u/ayylmaothrowaway1337
    [link] [comments]

    How to study for a job that says "our only requirement is that you be able to code in Ruby or Javascript at production quality"?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 07:27 AM PST

    Hello!

    I have 2 years of front-end experience, 3 years of Xamarin mobile experience. I quit my job two weeks ago and I'm studying full-time for coding interviews. Lucked into my last job and have never done coding interviews before. I've never coded in Ruby, did a little in Javascript 3 years ago.

    How would someone prep for a job that had this as the requirement?

    submitted by /u/bad-buddhist
    [link] [comments]

    Is it too late to become an engineer?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:35 PM PST

    EDIT: Thanks for all the replies! Another couple of points I should mention:

    It seems not having a formal degree seems to be a barrier when applying to some new jobs, namely, the more interesting ones (AR/VR, that sort of thing).

    If I went back, I'd probably go to Masters/Doctorate, not stopping at Bachelors. Would the higher level of classes make up for the mostly repetitive, low level stuff I'd be learning though most of a 4 year degree?
    END EDIT:

    Hey all,

    I am 35. I've been working in web dev/native mobile app dev for about 7 years. I don't have any real college education. I have a pretty good job and am decently paid. I'm pretty good at what I do, but things like algorithms and the more math-oriented aspects seem to elude me. I've felt the last few years that maybe pursuing a formal degree in computer science or something akin to it would help round out my skillset, and grant me a deeper understanding.

    My question is, at my age, and the level of impact (which I'm not sure of!) such a degree would have on my career, is it worth it for me to go back to school?

    If yes, what are some suggestions for someone who has a full-time job to check out as far as where to go/how to move forward?

    Thanks for any replies.

    submitted by /u/w00px
    [link] [comments]

    Qualtrics New Grad Offer

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 06:15 PM PST

    I was offered a full time position at Qualtrics for SWE. However, with the recent acquisition by SAP prior to their IPO, the stock is undetermined. They do not know when they will have more information regarding this. Anyone have any insight as to what they think the stock package might be? (perhaps similar to SAP new grad RSU?)

    submitted by /u/johnjuantae
    [link] [comments]

    Is a Masters in user-interface design degree flexible enough to do both UI/UX and front-end web development?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:49 PM PST

    I am interesting in front end web development. I would love to be a UI/UX designer but I can't help but feel the market is starting to get flooded where I am, and in general there is more demand for web developers in my area. If I get a User Interface Design degree from a top 100 school do you think its viable for me to work in web development if I have to?

    Thanks Pals.

    submitted by /u/pantsdowntomyknees
    [link] [comments]

    Not hearing back even with referrals?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:37 PM PST

    I'm currently a sophomore looking for a summer internship for 2019. I've had a couple referrals for some of the larger companies, however I am not hearing back even though it is been about a month. Is this something that normally happens or is it something wrong with my resume? I would usually at least expect to hear a rejection if anything, but not hearing back even after a referral has confused me. Any help would be best. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/airwreckg
    [link] [comments]

    What are reasonably expectations as a new employee?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:34 PM PST

    I'm mostly interested in technical/training expectations.

    I am finding out that the hardest part of a new job is getting up to speed on various tools, all the moving pieces of the codebase, etc.

    So what are some things I should expect from a decent company regarding that? Or is "here's the code, I need you to fix [x] about as good as it is going to get"?

    submitted by /u/qspec02
    [link] [comments]

    Companies still hiring new grads - Greater NYC Area

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:21 PM PST

    Any companies still actively hiring new grads in the Greater NYC Area? It's been pretty rough trying to find a job.

    submitted by /u/eethrowaway1212345
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to land on my feet at a place I'll love.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:51 PM PST

    Hey All, I recently quit a job at the startup I was working at. Long story short the CEO was fired, over half the company was laid off, the board was no longer interested in investing in the company, and are likely going to be out of money in the next 6 months or less. There was a lot of turmoil and the workplace became toxic. I decided it was a good time to move on.

    I'm now actively looking for work. I really want to land at a company where I can do work that I'm passionate about. The problem is most of these companies are out of my network and I'm not getting contacted back for interviews.

    I'm currently trying to build up a history of contributing to open source projects in hopes of standing out and demonstrating my passion for my work. Does anyone have any other advice?

    I appreciate it thanks.

    submitted by /u/SmallShopping
    [link] [comments]

    Question for Full-Stack/Backend Engineers about employment after graduation: Is it more common to bounce around for the first ~5 years or to stay put at the company you get hired at?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 06:14 PM PST

    So TLDR is that I'm in a LOT of student debt and will most likely be $100k in the hole by the time I graduate and I know I'm probably going to have to follow the money and take the best job I can get after graduation. However I'm an Upstate New Yorker and I think it's fairly obvious I'm going to have to relocate to wherever the company that gives me a job offer is located. Meanwhile my SO is a Registered Nurse finishing up her Bachelor's (paid for by her employer) and will have to stay for 2 years after graduating to work it off (if she leaves her job/the state early she has to pay them back).

    Having not been fully immersed in the tech industry yet I don't have a lot to go off of. However the impression I've always gotten, and one that seems to be true from seeing LinkedIn profiles of Alumni who come back to our career fair to recruit, is that it's not uncommon to change companies at least once. A lot of the Alumni I meet at Career Fairs have probably held 2-5 (5 is a bit rarer, 4 seems more common) jobs since leaving.

    SO would rather I not leave for a couple years to go to big cities/far away for a tech job(s) if she can't come with me, however being an R.N. I'm not sure how quickly she'd be able to find new jobs and moving a few times could become frustrating for her career-wise. If I end up staying in one place then things would be different of course.

    I know there are some hypotheticals involved here. But it's something I have to think about a lot when I'm hunting for Internships and Co-Ops and soon my full-time jobs, so I wanted to ask it and get a feel for whether or not this idea of company-jumping is based in reality or not.

    Thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing your responses :)

    submitted by /u/RarestCentipede
    [link] [comments]

    What should i be studying? (Employed Entry level developer)

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 02:12 PM PST

    I am in my last semester of university. I interned at a company for a year (as an analyst) and 4 months ago they gave me a position as web application developer (full stack). My major is MIS and i've taken 1 intro to java course. No knowledge of data structures or algorithms.

    My performance at work is praised by management and co-workers, however; i know they are just being nice. All my co-workers have kids my age (saying this to emphasize their age and experience). Anything I do takes me a large amount of time and are things they can quickly complete

    I am not sure if i have impostor syndrome or if i am just not cut out to be a developer (no entry level developers to compare to). I am confident my job is not on the line but i am not learning in a way that makes me an engineer. (mostly reusing already written code, anything hard i get help from seniors)

    During meetings or when they help me write code it seems they have an understanding that i am lacking and not developing. I don't feel like the assignments I'm doing are leading to where they are at.

    Does one day it just start to click?

    What should i be reading/studying/doing so that i can grow?

    submitted by /u/CSMaNa
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on a BAS in Application Development course?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:16 PM PST

    My current title is Design Developer working on a design team in a tech company. My job consists of creating prototypes, mostly in ReactJS. I started as a designer and taught myself enough to transition into this hybrid role, and I'm really enjoying it. However, I've always felt there are big gaps in my basic programming knowledge, and I've never really felt that I could really call myself a developer. I've toyed around with the idea of getting a bachelors in CS, with the goal of filling in those gaps, as well as being able to code in other languages than just JavaScript. Also, I'm really interested in machine learning, so I'd like to be able to get into that without feeling completely out of my element. I'm currently looking at this course, and I'd like to get your thoughts on the program: https://northseattle.edu/programs/bas-application-development

    I'm wondering if this BAS will allow me to do that, or if I'm better off learning these topics on my own.

    submitted by /u/formerperson
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for searching for summer coop 2019

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:25 PM PST

    Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian CS student in my 3B term, with my coop already arranged for winter 2019 (Jan to April). I originally planned on going back to school for 4A in spring term 2019, but I would like more experience before I do my final coop hunt for the term between 4A and 4B.

    I've had one dev experience previously as an android dev, and going to do full stack for winter 2019. Little coop exp because I spent my first two coops as an accounting student (switched two years ago).

    My question is, what websites should I go to hunt for coop for summer 2019? I know indeed and LinkedIn and that's about it.

    Do people usually just go straight to company website to apply directly? If that's the case, is there a place that maybe crawls all the tech companies sites and aggregate the postings? I've never tried to look for a job outside my schools job posting system before.

    My aim is to find something either backend or machine learning, but anything dev at this point will help me learn a lot. Also I'm Canadian, so will companies in the US be less inclined to take me?

    Thanks all, sorry if my post is too lengthy, I'm trying to be as thorough as I can.

    TLDR: read bold parts

    submitted by /u/Onceforlife
    [link] [comments]

    How long should I wait before applying to my dream company?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:05 PM PST

    I'm a new grad. I applied for a 100+ jobs and I got offers from 3. I've accepted an offer at a well-known (not Big N) company and I'm okay with it. I think it'll be a good opportunity for me to learn new things and grow as a developer.

    However, I want to work at my dream company one day. It's not a Big N but it is also very well-known. Unfortunately, I didn't hear anything from them when I applied and I didn't know anyone there so I couldn't get any referrals. I'm thinking of applying there again after a while, but I'm not sure how long I should wait.

    The company I've accepted an offer at have offered stocks that vest over the next 4 years (25% per year), but I don't want to stay there for 4 years. I was thinking of working there for a year and then applying to my dream company. Is this a good idea? Does it look bad if I'm applying after just one year of working at my first job?

    submitted by /u/Tiemyshoelaces42
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment