• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 25, 2018

    Interest for a AMA twitch stream?

    Interest for a AMA twitch stream?


    Interest for a AMA twitch stream?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 07:54 AM PST

    Hi,

    I'm a decade-long seasoned industry developer and producer toying with ideas on how to help indies achieve success and continue revitalizing the industry by taking more risks, and resume making great games.

    I feel I need more information on HOW to help people, and I'm sure a lot of people need some of their questions answered.

    To this end, I'm currently toying with the idea of making a live AMA session on twitch pooling twitch questions and answering as many as possible.

    I'm trying to gauge the interest for such an event. Would you chime in to listen to 1-2 hours of random people's questions being answered?

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/orymus
    [link] [comments]

    As a solo dev, how do you start making your games look better?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 03:36 AM PST

    How do you progress from 'this looks like at best a highschool project that was put together in 6 weeks' to something that actually looks respectable?

    Obviously your not gonna make a Red Dead Redemption by yourself, but I see games made by solo devs and im just like... "How...?!?"

    submitted by /u/jjake101
    [link] [comments]

    UE4 Tutorial 8 - Quadcopter - part 3

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 11:04 AM PST

    GameMaker or MonoGame

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 05:17 AM PST

    Me and my brother are working on a game. He is a designer and I'm a programmer. Now, we wanna make a 2D RPG game but we don't know whether to use GameMaker or MonoGame for our first game on steam. I know both both can make good games and that's what I wanna do but should I use GameMaker over MonoGame just because it's easier to use? We wanna make a game with decent graphics and gameplay so take that into consideration.

    submitted by /u/MrCoolKhaled
    [link] [comments]

    30% store cut

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 08:12 AM PST

    I've always wondered why a big publisher like Ubisoft would sell its games on steam at the same price as UPlay. Since steam would take a 30% out of every copy sold. Then i noticed that you can exchange 100 uPoints for a 20% promotional code in UPlay , and these points are really easy to get "You can get them by earning achievements and by buying new games". It's just seem like a work around some law. My question is there such a law that forces stores to take exactly 30%?

    submitted by /u/Nassouh88
    [link] [comments]

    Any other subreddits?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 12:14 AM PST

    Just curious about different subreddits that might be useful for a gamedev to be a part of! I'm subbed to r/indiegames too but outside of there and here I haven't found much else

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/TheCakeAnarchy
    [link] [comments]

    My Itch.Io store. I have free and paid video game-related things including video games, graphics and an eBook

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 11:17 AM PST

    Planning to sell the source of abandoned fps I had on steam that had over 6000 downloads and made me some $8000 ....for just some $100, where?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 11:03 AM PST

    The fps is far from finished and despite being fully functional it had some bad reviews due to some small glitches/not finished gaming but the graphic models alone would cost like $1000 or more not to mention ai and everything...i don't think the asset store is good place for this though. 10x

    submitted by /u/from_the_year_2032
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on game programming master programs.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 10:59 AM PST

    I have a shot at going to SMU Guildhall with incentives for attending by the program. Getting some nice stuff definitely seems great, but on the other hand it seems less focused on my interests than DigiPen, or Carnegie Mellon. I'm almost certain I can get into DigiPen's game programming master's, which seems much more slanted towards the technical side of development. Personally, I enjoy making games as a hobby, but am way more interested in game engine development than actually producing a game. I highly believe the industry needs a GPLed engine (or a similar open source license crafted explicitly for game development concerns) competitive with Unreal and Unity to bring the cost down of using those engines, and would like to do my part to make that happen. I also would prefer attendance at a program known for attracting Valve recruiters. Don't really like having to install Windows to play games and devs friendly towards expanding the Linux ecosystem is what I'm shooting for.

    Getting into CMU would obviously be the ideal program, but that's a moonshot even with a perfect application. Does anyone know the difference between DigiPen and SMU Guildhall masters' programs? SMU Guildhall seems more like a trade school, while DigiPen's program comes across as more of a research university into the technical side of game development. (Guildhall has much less transparency on their courses offered) My understanding is usually research focused school's foster more competent practitioners of their craft familiar with the most up to date theories, over practical knowledge for a work environment. Which program would be better suited for game engine development?

    submitted by /u/zerophase
    [link] [comments]

    Game Weapons and why bar designs don't work.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 10:46 AM PST

    A boring title I know though the best I came up with. I had this thought a few days ago and made a post about it on my website. Basically describing how the 'standard' design of weapon stats is actually, really terrible and potentially misleading to the players. https://thelegacygamer.wordpress.com/2018/11/24/game-weapons-and-why-bars-dont-work/

    submitted by /u/TornadoWolf
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble figuring out spatial partitioning buckets for line points.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 10:41 AM PST

    So I have a function that basically steps through a line and gets unique points based on the slope. So this works fine, I'm testing right now with a step of just 1 pixel.

    The problem comes after, when I collect all my points I need to figure out which bucket/cells the point belongs to.

     var cell = Math.floor((points[i].x / this.cellSize)) + Math.floor((points[i].y / this.cellSize)) * this.columns; 

    basically it comes down to.. how do I know if I should be Math.flooring or Math.ceiling the point..

    If I only use math.floor it's inaccurate and misses a few boxes, i tried instead adding 4 cells for each point, one where the x and y are floored, one where the x is floored, y is ceiled, one where y is floored, x is ceiled, and lastly one where x and y are both ceiled. When I tried this approach there were too many buckets active.

    Any mathematicians out there care to help?

    submitted by /u/raptstache
    [link] [comments]

    Unity ECS: Basic Chunk Iteration

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 02:05 AM PST

    Unity Tutorial : Drag Gameobject with Mouse

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 05:39 AM PST

    How valuable is Vulkan experience in game industry (job)?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 04:55 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    I previously had a lot of experience with OpenGL and programming game engines. I'm learning Vulkan rn and having fun with it, but I'm wondering how valuable it is atm for getting a job in the industry? Are these places using it, and would only senior developers be expected to use it?

    submitted by /u/game_coder123
    [link] [comments]

    Soundtrack Sunday #269 - Epic Ensemble

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 09:01 PM PST

    Post music and sounds that you've been working on throughout this week (or last (or whenever, really)). Feel free to give as much constructive feedback as you can, and enjoy yourselves!

    Basic Guidelines:

    • Do not link to a page selling music. We are not your target audience.
    • Do not link to a page selling a game you're working on. We are not your target audience.
    • It is highly recommended that you use SoundCloud to host and share your music.

    As a general rule, if someone takes the time to give feedback on something of yours, it's a nice idea to try to reciprocate.

    If you've never posted here before, then don't sweat it. New composers of any skill level are always welcome!


    Previous Soundtrack Sundays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Source Control Working with Freelancers (Need Advice)

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 12:16 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    I'm relatively new to programming and game development. It started as a hobby but as my skills are improving, I started to take it more seriously.

    I was wondering how can a team work together while maintaining privacy/security on the content. Since I'm using Unity, I've looked at Unity collaborate. Of course access levels can be controlled. However, I was just wondering could your Unity ID be at risk in any way? When I'm working on my project, just by clicking the asset store tab I'm automatically signed into my account. So yeah I was just wondering how to handle that, sorry I've never really worked with a team before because I was still a beginner "noob" lol but I guess now I'm more of an experienced beginner :)

    Any advice and insights would be greatly helpful.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Ryo788
    [link] [comments]

    What are the specs for a io-game server?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 06:04 AM PST

    When i created my first io-game, I had no idea what i was doing. I let the server do a lot of heavy lifting which caused it to spike once i had 40+ players online. For my next project i want to smoothly handle 50+ concurrent player(assuming they aren't too far from the server location).

    Which leads me to my question? what kinda of VPS hosting would i need to handle a game like wilds.io or wings.io?

    submitted by /u/codesphinx
    [link] [comments]

    Best simple 2d engine for a programmer?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 06:58 PM PST

    I've had this idea for a game for a year or two that's been gnawing at me to the point where I just have to try to make it.

    I'm a programmer by trade, and what I'm looking for is (I think) pretty simple. I need an engine that:

    1. Draws sprites to screen
    2. Has a simple game-loop with easy hooks
    3. Works cross platform
    4. Uses a common programming language (that isn't python, preferably)
    5. Handles sprite animation (nice to have but not required)

    I've tried a few engines including Unity, but I find the interfaces kind of tiresome, and I lose motivation pretty quickly. I'd like to do as much in code as possible (it's where I'm comfortable), so aside from importing assets (and animations) and drawing to a window, I'd really prefer to just code at an API.

    Monogame looks pretty promising, but it's not clear to me how well supported and how robust the community is.

    Any suggestions? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/geej
    [link] [comments]

    Any good videos/tutorials showing good/efficient workflow for 3d level design?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:05 PM PST

    Preferably for both aesthetics and mechanics parts of level design process.

    submitted by /u/dayman_not_nightman
    [link] [comments]

    Mesuring arbitrary zone areas

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 03:41 AM PST

    Hi,
    I'm struggling to mentally design the correct way to handle measuring and working on arbitrary player defined areas/zones on a map.

    Most games I see with zones (rts/strategy game) are tile based so we could set a flag for the tile owner and draw it correctly when iterating over all the tiles. This is easy when it's a 128 x 128 map.

    How would you do it if you wanted a player to be able to arbitrarily zone a map? My first thought was to try the same method, represent it as a 1920 x 1080 (for example) array and treat each pixel as a tile. Iterating on every pixel and drawing it is very badly performing.

    Do you have any resources/suggestions for how to handle this? Or games that also have arbitrary zones that I can look at?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Jesus72
    [link] [comments]

    How to make custom maps for games ?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 06:56 AM PST

    Can we create custom maps in games like pubg / dota2/ counter strike ? If yes, can i know how to make the maps and add to the game ?

    submitted by /u/adarigirishkumar
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment