• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 22, 2018

    I'm hosting DevTrends, a YouTube channel about modern web development trends and would be happy to get any feedback about it web developers

    I'm hosting DevTrends, a YouTube channel about modern web development trends and would be happy to get any feedback about it web developers


    I'm hosting DevTrends, a YouTube channel about modern web development trends and would be happy to get any feedback about it

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 06:09 AM PST

    Reminder: If you are buying hosting, Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend is the best time.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 12:02 PM PST

    In the past 4 years I always buy my hosting plans for the next year in the Black Friday weekend. And I always buy it at least for a year so I am good till the next years promos. After a short google search, here is a list with some Black Friday hosting deals.

    My current favourites - LiquidWeb has 50% off, FlyWheel is 30% off and I use SiteGround for my clients, they are at 75% off.

    It is a bit of a hassle migrating all the sites to the new account but its worth it, since SiteGround renewal fees are kind of high and with those Black Friday deals I got a decent host for peanuts.

    submitted by /u/george_sg
    [link] [comments]

    Created My first Js Game

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 07:04 AM PST

    Hey guys, Just created my first game in React.js and also explored alpha features of react while making it.

    https://github.com/imshubhamsingh/15-puzzle

    game url: https://15puzzle.netlify.com

    submitted by /u/imshubhamsingh
    [link] [comments]

    Realistic expectations of getting a Web Dev job without a CS degree

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:34 AM PST

    Hi everyone long time lurker here,

    A little bit about myself, I graduated with a B.A. in Communications but realized I wasn't getting where I wanted to be career-wise. I wanted to make a switch in my career and chose web dev since that is a field that really interests me. Currently, I am trying to self-teach myself through affordable sources such as Udemy, FreeCodecamp, etc. But I'm unsure how far any of this will take me career-wise without either a CS degree or some form of certificate such as a bootcamp.

    I constantly see articles or posts of people who were able to make it into a web dev position without a CS degree, but I'm wondering if these cases are more of the exception to the rule. I've been reading that today's market is over-saturated with a bunch of entry-level web dev experience especially through bootcamps and entry-level positions are extremely scarce. My question is, for someone in my position:

    • What are my chances of getting a web dev position through just self-learning and building a strong portfolio?
    • Is it something I should pursue seriously for a career change?
    • Are bootcamps in worth it in 2018-2019? I've recently read that bootcamps in general have had a steep decline in job offers after graduation, also they are expensive.
    • Should I go back to school and get a bachelors degree in CS? (WAY MORE EXPENSIVE)
    • Is it worth it to pursue an AA or certificate through a community college in web dev?
    • Basically, what is the best route for someone in my position to take if I wanted to pursue this seriously.
    • Any other advice is much appreciated! ​

    Sorry for the long post and thank you for the feedback! I also live in Silicon Valley if that helps.

    Edit: The amount of quality advice is staggering! Thank you everyone for your feedback!

    submitted by /u/EddieEdit
    [link] [comments]

    Beware of predatory Hackatons

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 12:59 PM PST

    A couple days ago, the IATA ( International Air Transport Association ) held a "Hack-a-thon" in Montreal, where they basically asked contestants to build features for them.

    https://www.iata.org/training/Documents/IATA-Hackathon-Montreal-2018-Challenge-1.pdf https://www.iata.org/training/Documents/IATA-Hackathon-Montreal-2018-Terms-Conditions.pdf

    The prize? 250CAD (189.59 USD)

    They even paid local blogs to promote it:
    https://www.mtlblog.com/feature/theres-a-huge-hackathon-competition-happening-in-montreal-this-september

    They seem to have made this a business model, holding other "Hackathons" around the world:
    https://www.iata.org/events/Pages/air-hackathon.aspx

    This seems to be a tactic to get some cheap labor, as contestants could be paid a lot better in an actual job.

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/hodgef
    [link] [comments]

    Guide: Sending a SMS from a website with AWS

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:26 AM PST

    I wrote a guide for how to send a text from a web page, leveraging serverless tech on AWS.

    Hopefully it will help some people out, although its pretty niche functionality.

    I'm also interested if you think I went into enough detail in order to allow it to be easily reproduced.

    https://www.mobilise.cloud/blog

    submitted by /u/VraelSix
    [link] [comments]

    Ember is growing - stats from npm

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 04:11 AM PST

    When to use React and when to just use basics...

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 07:40 AM PST

    I'm a 2nd year working on a CS degree and want to create a portfolio website for job applications and the like. I have been begun using just bootstrap now, getting some basics set up. But my friend seems adament I use React for the whole thing...unsure what benefit this would have over just plain html/css and some js.

    Sure, it's great to learn React and I'm not opposed to that, but how common is it for a whole "website" to be created with something like React?

    Would React create a faster product?

    What would look better to potential employers/recruiters?

    submitted by /u/JuanTheBeast51
    [link] [comments]

    I'm going nuts trying to cache Cypress in CircleCI. I'm using Yarn instead of npm. How can I get this boi to cache my Cypress binary? I'll greatly appreciate any input.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 04:38 AM PST

    The next career step for Senior Software Engineers (that isn’t management)

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:34 AM PST

    Webdevs of Reddit who deal with mental issues, to what extant has it effected on your career? What is your [success] story, coping mechanisms, tips?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:17 AM PST

    Hi everyone!

    I'm self studying web development. Mentally stable 90% of the time but on those periods when my anxiety is high, this is when I doubt I'll be able to run a career in programming.

    I doubt I'll be able to concentrate on solving problems for example, a thing that will lead to that I won't deliver work on time, or even cause errors. Right now on days when my anxiety is high I just don't study. Easy. But what would I do when I land my first job?

    I'd love to hear your stories and inputs as I'm becoming frustrated to even give studying a chance when I know I'll struggle some days at my job.

    submitted by /u/Israeligirl89
    [link] [comments]

    Is hosting email for small clients actually a pain? Easier to just charge them for a g-suite setup?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 02:56 AM PST

    I just make Wordpress sites and my motto has always been never bother with email, never give the client access to the server, and never even give them admin for the Wordpress. This way if any security things come up, it'll always be my own fault. Keeping email off the servers altogether means I don't even need to think about it, other than some basic admin stuff for g-suite or sometimes 365. G-suite is also the only thing I'll make the client sign up and pay for with their own card because I'm happy to point their domains wherever they want or transfer their domain if their account is settled and for $5 a month something as mission critical as email it's easy to sell them on why I ask this.

    But I've been working with a designer who is hosting all their clients email, on his servers. And only some of them have a lot of accounts under one domain, most just have one or two.

    Just wondering what actual webdev people think about hosting email, or using a third partydedicated email service, or just pushing g-suite on people because from their side it looks just like the gmail they are already using. We're just low rent designers.

    submitted by /u/CollectableRat
    [link] [comments]

    ngx-admin just got a huge update. More than 50 new demo examples of Nebular components usage.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 01:56 AM PST

    Would this make me a scummy web developer?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:13 PM PST

    Hey Reddit and web developers. I have just recently became an apprentice web developer in the past 2 months and in that time I have learned so much about html, css/sass, php, databases and much more. I work 32 hours a week and I am looking to start my own web development company on the side like some of the employees I work with.

    I have already gotten one client for an Indian restaurant near me and have started building their site however I want to reach even more to help make more money and get more experience. I am currently on £3.70 an hour which makes like pretty difficult haha.

    Anyway now to the main question I have, I have noticed in my local area there is only one other web development company that seems pretty small but has lots of clients. I have looked at lots of their websites they have made and they are all atrocities and just look so bad. Like not trying to toot my own horn but I could definitely make something so much better as much less of a cost that this company is offering. They sell their sites £1000 for a basic site.

    I would be happy to offer a site for £200 as I have no bills I live with my parents. Would it be scummy of me to go to all of this businesses clients and offer them a better website for a much reduced price? I feel like this would be really beneficial and easy for me to do and I see a golden ticket right in front of me. The only thing that is putting me off is I am a little worried I might really screw this small business over with my crazy reduced prices. What are some of your thoughts on this and any advice on if I should take the opportunity or not to get a large number of clients under my belt

    submitted by /u/You2Loud
    [link] [comments]

    What is the most beautiful Landing page you know?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 09:00 AM PST

    I was wondering what the most appealing Landing Page is you have discovered recently? I feel like designing a good Landing Page is like creating a piece of art and I wonder what unknown Gems are out there! :)

    submitted by /u/jonas_8_
    [link] [comments]

    2018 WebDev Black Friday / Cyber Monday Deals

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 11:58 AM PST

    What do you guys use to write user guides for custom apps/websites you build for clients?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:36 PM PST

    Javascript load page into div, caching issue

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:35 PM PST

    Hi all
    I have a interesting problem where im getting file caching and I can't get rid of it

    I have a page with a bunch of DIV's on. each div is then loaded from another file using javascript
    (was using load, changed to ajax to try fix problem but still not working)

    the page loads fine, and the text on the page updates from the php query as expected.
    However I have a image which changes every 10 mins (webcam feed) but the url stays the same

    Whenever I do the javascript reload (setinverval to re load the div) the image stays the old image
    if I refresh the whole page with a CTRL + f5 then the image updates, but I can't do that as its for a display where the parent page cant be reloaded (hence the need for javascript loading)

    Any ideas what I can try to help clear out the cache on each div reload?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/pomtom44
    [link] [comments]

    Virtual DOM vs memoized DOM vs the GlimmerVM

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:33 PM PST

    Using Firestore's "User UID" field as meaningless session ID along the user name, in a cookie, to keep user authenticated across sessions

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 11:12 AM PST

    I want to keep users authenticated across sessions (meaning even after browser closes) so that they don't have to log in at every new visit. So I need cookies. But I don't want to store passwords, only "meaningless sessions". I was wondering if the Firestore "User UID" field could do the trick.

    Any input on that?

    submitted by /u/draikin3
    [link] [comments]

    How was your experience learning Javascript for the first time?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 02:47 PM PST

    How was it after learning HTML and CSS? How often did you think of giving up?

    submitted by /u/lovesocialmedia
    [link] [comments]

    Is using multiple HTML pages bad?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 10:55 AM PST

    I have a question that I'm not quite sure how to phrase so hopefully you'll understand what I'm trying to do:

    For example, there is a page called "blog", inside blog, there are multiple boxes with snippets of a full article, if you click one of those boxes, you are redirected to a page with the full article (which will supposedly be a different html page). Now my question is, I'm pretty sure you can open that full article within the "blog" page itself without having to redirect to a separate html page, what is this called and how do I achieve it?

    Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/Muchkeler
    [link] [comments]

    A question about the frontend closer to the hardware.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 02:39 PM PST

    that's a question that i ask myself every time i see some slow sites with crazy things on javascript.

    We know that the CPU's is not going to get any faster in the near future. Why there's no big project or something to change the client infrastructure of the web? Why we are still sending plain text to the client above infinite layers of abstraction instead of a bytecode of some sort?

    submitted by /u/dougvinis
    [link] [comments]

    Best php framework for a beginner

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 08:41 AM PST

    I've been meddling with php for a while now. I can write small apps using procedural code and of late I've also been doing some in Object Oriented code. You can say I'm still a learner, not a beginner maybe somewhere in the middle.

    The other day while I was watching a tutorial on building a complete program from scratch using vanilla php and a friend of mine, a PHP dev himself was of the opinion that I start using a framework and the time was right for me to make the switch. However a few searches on frameworks and I'm all confused; some say codeigniter is best for a newbie while others say to begin right away with Laravel.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/jsnooob
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment