• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 18, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - November 18, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - November 18, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - November 18, 2018

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - November 18, 2018

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Why is product manager such a glorified position?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 03:46 PM PST

    I don't see the draw the being a product manager. You're in meetings occasionally, prioritize bugs and bookkeep, and try to get customer feedback. And yet many of them are high-pedigree graduates. I don't get it. It doesn't seem like a job that requires much skill.

    Edit:

    The weird thing to me is that to gain a software engineer role, you really have to prove yourself in the interview - it's very intense and the evaluation is primarily skill-based. Whereas PM roles must check the box of being from an Ivy league with any sort of degree, and they march on in with the same salary as software engineers (yes I'm exaggerating a bit). It's also not something I see people doing for fun unless they are making their own startup and strangely it seems easier to bootstrap with the technical skills. On the flip side, many engineers will also program as a hobby. From my perspective it's people groomed from prestigious academics, looking to maintain that heir, and tech is the new investment banking.

    submitted by /u/-proof
    [link] [comments]

    If you had to do it all over again, what would you look for in your first SWE job?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 01:34 AM PST

    Looking back, what are the most important factors you'd consider if you had to choose your first SWE job? Tech stack? Prestige/Brandname? Senior mentors/teammates? Salary? Level of responsibility?

    submitted by /u/validuser747
    [link] [comments]

    DevOps/SRE career advice

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 06:47 PM PST

    Throwaway because I don't have a Reddit account.

    I've been super lucky to have landed multiple offers, all in the devops/SRE space. The salary is not too different, but I feel like my day-to-day will be different between these roles.

    • CompanyA is a remote position, and I'll be the first official devops engineer. <25 people in engineering department overall. Everyone is remote.
    • CompanyB is a well-established startup with an SRE team (20+ SREs split up to support product offerings) with an SRE director. This one is on-site.
    • CompanyC is a small, early-stage startup. They're looking for a full-stack engineer, with some advanced knowledge in devops.

    I've been working up and down the stack since 2013, and have been really into devops lately. I've worked in places where I'm the only ops engineer and places where I've been on a team of about 10. In general, my roles have been a split between working closely with software engineers to help them through development pains to infrastructure and provisioning work. Depending on the size of the company, those ratios change.

    In the context of devops, I feel like there are pros and cons of each opportunity. Early-stage startups come with the technical perks (ownership, technical direction, full-stack work) but I find myself triaging developer resources 99% of the time. I don't mind and typically enjoy it, but I rarely have time to work on larger projects/architecture and it isn't prioritized until we get an overwhelming AWS bill. Well-established companies are also great because I'll have opportunities/bandwidth/mentorship to take on bigger projects, such as infrastructure-as-code. However, I'm concerned about losing ownership over my work. Remote work is also great, but I'm already an introvert and a homebody, and I can't afford to get any weirder. I'm also getting a bit older, so culture and work-life balance is starting to matter more (and frankly, startup culture freaking sucks). By no means am I looking for a 9-hi 5-bye lifestyle, but I also don't want to romanticize overworking anymore. I'd love to get input from solo ops people, as well as people who have been on an ops team, and get their thoughts. Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/throwawaydevopss
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone worked for Braintree in Chicago?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 06:31 PM PST

    What were your thoughts? I've heard they do pair programming a lot, which I haven't experienced before.

    submitted by /u/PsychologicalPrior7
    [link] [comments]

    How do make sure that you enjoy life as much as possible outside of work? I can't remember a life outside of coding

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 04:25 PM PST

    Context: I'm about to graduate university soon. I grew up in poverty and as a result have dedicated the least five years of my life to trying to pull myself and my family out of this hole. I've never been particularly smart but, after hearing about the stories of the six figure salaries after an undergrad degree as a wide-eyed 17 year old, it put me into a non-stop grind mode that I haven't been able to come out of.

    After moving away from home and countless coursework, hackathons, leetcode practice, networking, e-mails, interviews, and a couple of Big4 internships, I'm now negotiating offers that will help pay off my student loans and my family's mortgage asap, so now I feel like I can take it easy a little.

    There's a big problem though: I've become pretty much nothing but a coding machine. I quite literally can't remember a time where I spent time outside of either career/coursework/weightlifting. I have no hobbies, talents, quirks, and have sacrificed most of my friendships in this pursuit. I'm reasonably attractive and reasonably fit but that's about it. Soon I'll be done my last interview and my last course, and will be telling myself that I have some free time, but I have no idea what to do. I've been working for so long that don't know what makes me happy anymore.

    I've made it a goal for myself to work at a company that will never have myself working more than 40 hours per week so I can enjoy a life outside of work as much as possible after putting myself through this. I want to take advantage of life as much as possible and not waste even more time worrying about my career, so I was wondering what the best way to do this would be. I have read stories similar to mine here here so I would be curious to know what tips or advice other people have.

    submitted by /u/SufferingMongoose
    [link] [comments]

    Usefulness of physics minor vs applied math minor vs tech comm certificate?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 04:00 PM PST

    I am planning to major in CS with one of the above minors. Which would be most useful, and look best to an employer? I can do one of them easily, two of them not so easily, and all three is out of the question. My CS electives mostly focus on databases and distributed computing.

    submitted by /u/CollegeCash
    [link] [comments]

    How much damage would taking a sabbatical from CS to do something completely unrelated affect my career? (x-prost from r/jobs)

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 06:55 AM PST

    I'm planning on wrapping up my Ph.D. in Computer Engineering soon (hopefully). In the meantime, a side project I've been working on has a small but decent chance of turning into a job as an actual comedy writer.

    If being a comedy writer just doesn't work out and I go back to engineering, how hard would it be to explain why I was doing a thoroughly unrelated job for a few years?

    submitted by /u/DoTheElectricEel
    [link] [comments]

    How much salary, stocks and bonus can I negotiate at Cisco?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 05:07 PM PST

    I am doing Masters in computer science from one among UPenn / NYU / UCSD / UMichigan after undergrad from an old IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) in Electrical Engineering. I have no full time work experience but have good internship experiences. I am currently also interviewing at Google.

    submitted by /u/asdwasdwbsw
    [link] [comments]

    Is SRE Considered Easier Than SWE?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 12:06 PM PST

    Some background, I'm an SRE at a Fortune 100 company after being a Java developer for 3 years. I'm in charge of an internally hosted application for 25,000 developers. I'm really enjoying what I'm doing since near the end of my previous job I started finding the development work to be easy. Especially for Java, it started to feel like repetitive boilerplate.

    The only real thing that's causing me some internal strife is that it seems that my current company and culture don't appreciate my position. Despite developers constantly coming to me for help on their software (completely separate organizations/teams) or issues, I'm often told that my job should be outsourced or that I'm "just IT". One developer went so far as to post in our Slack channel stating that he would "visit" our building with an AK-47 because our application's performance (absolutely necessary for any development work at our company) was degraded. HR and upper management all seemingly could empathize with him since he was frustrated (?!). My manager has even told me that I should be getting a promotion, but not to hold my breath since the SREs get last-pick for "promotion slots".

    My last job had very little end users; any end users were a single operations team working on behalf of the actual customer, so we could just say, "Yea, the UI looks bad, just go here and it will do what you want." and scaling was never a factor due to the lack of concurrent users. So, in comparison, this is the hardest and most exciting job I've had -- architecting design decisions around handling a possible 25,000 concurrent users and adding resiliency at every turn. So, in my eyes, SRE is much more difficult than SWE, but maybe the dichotomy of my experiences are to blame for that viewpoint.

    Needless to say, I'm not planning to stick it out at my current job where I'm very undervalued. I was debating if it makes more sense to hop back into SWE, hoping that it's a little more difficult at a bigger company, or to try for another SRE-esque role. I want to be challenged in my career, and I don't want to be treated like an incompetent grunt with no route up the corporate food chain.

    tl;dr: title

    submitted by /u/csquestions_alt
    [link] [comments]

    Is a statistics minor even useful if I'm interested in Data Engineering?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 01:46 PM PST

    I'm currently a freshman, and I'm on track to graduate in 3 years with a CS degree from UC Irvine. If I add a statistics minor I can do it in 4 years. Should I do it?

    submitted by /u/AnxiousBand
    [link] [comments]

    How do you avoid pigeonholing yourself?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 01:50 AM PST

    It seems like whatever job I take, I'd end up pigeonholing myself. I'm a passionate mobile developer for iOS/Android, and I also know web development and regular java/C++ development. I'm going to graduate soon and I've a few offers. One is for a mobile developer and one for a backend web developer. It seems if I take either one, I'll lose experience with the other side. What do I do here? Am I really supposed to pick one and focus on that and that alone?

    submitted by /u/thedisasterwagon
    [link] [comments]

    Summer 2019 Internships, Leggo! (Asking for Insight from Previous Experience)

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 06:24 PM PST

    What's good everyone! Junior CS Major here, just finished applying for multiple internships pertaining to Information Security and Data Analytics. Companies include: Boeing, Salesforce, AirBnB, Starbucks, Facebook, Robinhood, Google, Plaid, Apple, Booz Allen Hamilton, IBM, and Oracle. I was wondering if anyone here could share some insight and personal experience on what it was like dealing with these companies - how long did it take for them to get back to you after submitting your application? what did you like best? why did you accept your offer? etc. Any input is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/csthrowawayintern22
    [link] [comments]

    Did I waste my time with my non-computer science degree?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 04:21 PM PST

    So I am about to graduate with a civil engineering degree at a relatively top college. However, the more I look into my future, the more I realize that civil engineering may not be for me considering my preferred lifestyle. I am considering CS bootcamps and data science programs. I have already taken an introductory coding class in my curriculum for civil engineering.

    I am also fully aware of the benefits of these bootcamps. Moreover, I wanted to ask anyone in similar situations or has seen anyone in these situations. Did you end up using anything from your non-computer science degree? More specifically, will I get anything out of my civil engineering degree if I go through this bootcamp and data science program? Will I have wasted my time studying 4 years for civil engineering?

    submitted by /u/engineer444
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have any grounds in negotiating an offer if it's the best offer you have?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 12:26 PM PST

    I always see advice on here to always negotiate your offers, but one offer I got is far and above better than any other offer I've gotten. It's also better than the average offer I've seen for this company at my experience level. If I try to negotiate this offer, though, what could I possibly say beyond "I just want more money"? In this situation should I just accept the offer, or should I leverage the fact that they want to hire me to demand more? This is my first offer out of college so I don't want to mess anything up for my future career.

    submitted by /u/MWozz
    [link] [comments]

    Will getting a CCNA open up a lot more opportunities?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 06:07 PM PST

    Anybody here have their CCNA, or know someone in the programming field with it? If so, wondering what sort of doors it opened for you, did it separate you from the crowd in a significant way, or is it not such a big deal.

    submitted by /u/Crailberry
    [link] [comments]

    How do you deal with the frustration when you can’t find exactly what you are looking for?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 06:01 PM PST

    I have been told that programming requires constant research or asking questions whenever you are stuck.

    When I first enrolled in my programming class I didn't realize it and would end up bawling literally whenever I would get stuck feeling super inadequate.

    But then I realized googling for explanation or clarity was normal and nothing to feel inadequate about

    Except now my frustration literally anger comes whenever I google for something and I can't seem to either find exactly what I need help with or even if the person explains the method I need to use. I still can't grasp it like literally if they actually code it out and shows me and I still have trouble

    It takes me multiple sources to read and reread until I stumble across something that finally clicks

    And this makes me really slow in completing my assignments

    It's the anger that I have trouble dealing with

    Once I am angry I can't seem to focus nd get more angry at the responses if their explanations is too hard for my dumb brain to grasp

    Am I the only one who is going through this or is it a normal phase?

    Will I eventually stop getting this angry?

    submitted by /u/Red_inSaree
    [link] [comments]

    What is the title of my internship?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 05:59 PM PST

    In my current project, I analyze all issue tickets using basic NLP techniques and show results in Tableau. Its been only a month to my internship. Even my manager is unsure of my title.

    Anything that looks good on Resume is a priority. :)

    submitted by /u/0x7375
    [link] [comments]

    Software Engineering Internship Prepartion

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 10:01 PM PST

    Hello All,

    I Recently got an offer to work at JPMC as a SWE intern. How did y'all prepare for your first internship? I really want to hit the floor running on my first day.

    Edit: Thanks for your advice everyone! I appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/ktn555
    [link] [comments]

    Our team outing is to a place that's not accessible by public transit, should I expect one of my coworkers to give me a ride?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 05:19 PM PST

    We have a team outing and I let the people know that it would be difficult for me to get there as there's no public transit there and could we go somewhere else. But they didn't want to. Would I not look like a team player if I don't want to rent a car to go there? Is it reasonable to expect the person who chose that place to give me a ride there?

    submitted by /u/BeneficialMonitor
    [link] [comments]

    Online masters of comp sci/eng from Canadian universities?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 05:14 PM PST

    Preferably with a part time option or flexible to be completed while working

    submitted by /u/beaverhair
    [link] [comments]

    What is the real cost of living difference between Chicago and Bay Area?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 01:14 PM PST

    When looking at cost of living calculators, it seems like they make Chicago way cheaper than it is in reality... like they're using avg #s for housing, which are going to trend way lower than what you would pay in desirable areas.

    For example, the CNN cost of living calculator says 200k in Chicago is 312k in San Francisco. Is that actually correct? In Chicago I would be spending ~ 2k per month in rent for a 2br apt. In SF it would probably be closer to 4k. But, that's only 24k more in rent per yr. Is everything else just that much more expensive?

    submitted by /u/ta10yoe
    [link] [comments]

    Too stupid to code...Need new career path.

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 07:06 AM PST

    I have a bachelor's in IT and as you may know, the type of programming taught in university is very basic level stuff. You might as well just watch some YouTube videos instead. A lot of employers nowadays want really experienced programmers and don't want to spend any time training employees. Anyway, I have tried to solve some leetcode problems and I struggle with them and find them very boring. I think writing code for a living is not really what I want to do. Not sure what other career options I have at this point.

    submitted by /u/GoodProgrammer2018
    [link] [comments]

    Kernel developer

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 10:23 AM PST

    Are kernel developer roles well regarded? I got an offer from Microsoft to work on kernel related stuff. The team seems great but I'm a new grad and I'm worried about getting pigeonholed so early in my career. It seems like kernel engineering is a really small and niche field and most companies have no need for kernel developer skills.

    Would it be easy to transition to some other field in the future?

    submitted by /u/b43182928
    [link] [comments]

    Recruiter said they would send me an offer letter and gave me a week offer deadline...deadline has passed and I received no offer letter. What do?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 09:59 PM PST

    Last Friday (over a week ago) I received an email and phone call saying I've received an offer from a big Bay Area company for an internship. I was told to expect the offer letter sometime over the next week and that I had until the next Friday to decide. Friday came and went, I received no offer letter or communication.

    I emailed the recruiter near EOD this past Friday following up asking what was up, and if I could read over the letter and make a decision by next Friday, but I haven't received a response yet. I'm kind of concerned and worried that I might've been ghosted and had my offer rescinded or something. I don't know how common this is so I'm wondering what I should be doing.

    submitted by /u/SensitiveQuail
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on UCONN for CS?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 04:04 PM PST

    Does anyone here an opinion on the University of Connecticut for CS? I know its not a top 25, top 50 for CS, but if anyone has any idea how UCONN is in terms of job outcomes and learning, please share.

    I was thinking I'd go to UCONN and then my senior year transfer to somewhere like University of Maryland or Urbana Champaign. Maybe it makes more sense to stay at UCONN (instate tuition)?

    submitted by /u/shreekalki
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment