• Breaking News

    Friday, November 23, 2018

    Beginner Questions - November 23, 2018 web developers

    Beginner Questions - November 23, 2018 web developers


    Beginner Questions - November 23, 2018

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 05:14 AM PST

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Lately I've been feeling like every third post on /r/webdev, /r/javascript, /r/web_design, and other (especially front-end) programming subreddits is spam/reposted self promotion. Can we please, as a community of developers, stop doing THIS so that finding new quality content is easier?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 12:13 PM PST

    My Mobile First Portfolio Design

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:31 AM PST

    Hey r/webdev, I just finished my new portfolio design and was hoping to get some feedback.

    https://samuelts.com

    Also if anyone can help me figure out a better way to rotate my page and section headers in a way that doesn't make text blurry on desktop I would be forever thankful.

    **edit: To address the lag question that keeps popping up. It appears there is a possibility for extremely dense particle effects on certain device resolutions due to a ternary expression I wrote controlling particle density. The idea with the expression was to increase density on larger displays but it wasn't well tuned so I have noted this and will change it.

    submitted by /u/safwyl
    [link] [comments]

    Where to deploy full-stack app for free?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 02:45 AM PST

    Hey folks,

    I'm looking platform to deploy a full-stack app similar to github-pages where I would not have to purchase a domain or pay for hosting. It would be a simple Node.js which might interact with MLAB, and uses JS, CSS, for the front-end. This would be a app to put on my portfolio.

    submitted by /u/gobrowns1
    [link] [comments]

    End-to-End Encryption in the Browser Impossible? - ProtonMail

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 01:17 PM PST

    Every byte of a TLS connection explained and reproduced.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 11:32 PM PST

    10 things to learn on the way to becoming a JavaScript Master

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 12:46 PM PST

    Advice on Laptop Purchase

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 03:44 PM PST

    I'm currently a student in web development, but I'm almost finished my program. It's Black Friday and I'm wondering whether or not I should purchase a laptop or wait on it. And if I should get a laptop now, what OS (mac/windows/linux)?

    I currently have a gaming desktop with Windows and an older laptop (2012) with Windows.

    I don't have any computer with MacOS, so I'm wondering if it's a smart choice to buy a Mac so that I have a Mac option for development, or is it unnecessary?

    I dislike the prices of Macs, and price is a concern for me, but I know it's probably not gonna get any cheaper than it is now. I'm in Canada so prices totally suck, but to show the price comparison, a Macbook Pro 13" is around $1700-ish on sale and XPS is around $1400-$1700 depending which model.

    I'm not sure how workplaces generally are, if they will cover the cost of a required laptop or if you should already have your own--that's why I'm wondering if I should wait until the time comes 'cause I can still work with what I have right now. I know the laptops are on sale right now, but it's only about $200-$300 off at most. I'm also on the fence about getting a Mac because it's so expensive, it's more that I feel like I should have one for more options?

    I've heard it doesn't really matter what OS I use either, but I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking.

    Please note I'll most likely be looking for a front-end dev job in the future. Any advice would be appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/SmrtMunkie
    [link] [comments]

    Little issue with logo height

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 03:35 PM PST

    I've on a website http://cardiffhub.co.uk and I've got the logo looking good on desktop but it looks tiny on mobile. I've found the coding that is making it like this -

    @media only screen and (max-width: 1024px)

    .logo {

    height: 50px;

    }

    But when I go onto theme options to change this, I'm getting an error

    @media only screen and (max-width: 1024px)

    .logo {

    height: 100px;

    }

    EXPECTED LBRACE at LINE 21, COL 1

    Not sure what's up - it looks fine to me.

    submitted by /u/throwawaymofo101
    [link] [comments]

    Can I program an app for a gps tracker using the GPRS protocol provided by the manufacturer?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 02:26 PM PST

    No API is provided, will I need to build one? The app I'm trying to build is a map that shows dogs location.

    submitted by /u/oscar_underscore
    [link] [comments]

    The incomparable Sandi Metz speaking total sense about developer happiness

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 02:01 PM PST

    Does Colt Steele's Web Dev Boot Camp course cover ES6 and Node?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 01:59 PM PST

    Web crawlers - how do websites price checking websites (like camelcamelcamel) not get blocked from the source?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 10:04 PM PST

    So generally websites don't allow or aren't fond of web crawlers on their websites. So how do sites such as Camelcamelcamel or other price checking websites that use web crawlers do this without being blocked from the source for taking content for their own use?

    submitted by /u/nicolascagesbeard
    [link] [comments]

    Diving deep into Wordpress.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 12:56 PM PST

    I've been learning HTML, CSS, Javascript for the past 5-6 months and even though I landed a couple of startup clients, I noticed that most people are looking for something that is better suited to Wordpress (the cliche business website with an about us/work/jobs, sections). After installing Wordpress locally and taking a look, I found out that it isn't as easy to use as I thought it would be (mainly due to the fact that most themes that accomplish this cost money).

    What are the best ways to dive deeper into Wordpress to be able to cater to these organizations? Udemy courses? Google?

    submitted by /u/Muchkeler
    [link] [comments]

    We're having heavy performance problems, can it be due to how big our Websockets messages are?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 12:42 PM PST

    Hey guys, We have a react app with a Django backend, and a phoenix real time server to handle Websockets.
    Lately the app is getting more slow for our users, and even getting chrome stuck and having to close it an reopen it again.

    I took a look at the messages from the Websockets connection and there are like 5 - 13 messages per second in peak times with a length of +20.000 some of 11.000 and the more little ones of around 1000.

    If it was only the backend being slower it would be a backend problem, but as the browser is getting stuck and hanging out, I think that could be a really good candidate of being the problem isn't it?

    Would really appreciate if anyone with knowledge about this could give me his opinion, thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/virality444
    [link] [comments]

    Why is every sports league website a piece of crap?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 12:39 PM PST

    Every amateur sports league website I've had the displeasure of interacting with has either been some one-off project project that barely works or it's a shitty company that charges you an arm and a leg to get common problems done (i.e., a report that shows players with X penalties).

    Is there a good platform out there for sports organizations to use that's relatively cheap and flexible? It's not like these organizations aren't willing to spend; it's that the $20k they spend every year gets them jack shit.

    submitted by /u/Nitrodist
    [link] [comments]

    XHR Sync Has Been Deprecated When Will It Be Removed?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:04 AM PST

    Synchronous requests have been deprecated[1], but when will the functionality be removed? I haven't seen an announcement from Chrome or Firefox on this. Anyone?

    [1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/XMLHttpRequest/Synchronous_and_Asynchronous_Requests#Synchronous_request

    submitted by /u/halfduece
    [link] [comments]

    GTmetrix and favicon.ico time gap

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 04:43 AM PST

    Hi,

    While using GTMetrix to optimise my website, I got an issue I'm not able to fix. It looks like the favicon always have a big time gap between the last query.

    You can see the result in the GTMetrix waterfall : https://screencast.com/t/kcqm33rr

    Anyone got this and was able to fix it?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/birkoss
    [link] [comments]

    From WinForms to WebApps where do i begin?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:09 AM PST

    I have been a C#/VB .net developer using winforms (and Microsoft SQL Server) for about 5 years due to work, but i started thinking that its hightime to move from it to something new specifically if i want to work online more often with other people, but i'm not exactly sure where to begin on this and i'm always lost about it.

    I would like to keep using .Net and MSSQL for the moment (again due to work, i'm planning on moving most if not all of what i have done here) but i'm not adverse to using other languages in the future.

    Also, i believe i need to know a bit about how to setup the server since i'm going to be using for this isn't it? Since i'm planning to start on something local to testing and practice first.

    submitted by /u/FenixR
    [link] [comments]

    Question: Pricing for a kiosk "app"

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 05:29 AM PST

    Hi,

    (This is not a contract offer of any sort. Just doing a sanity check on pricing range for a project.)

    My company wants an "app" (actual app or PWA, either would work fine) to showcase our products and clients on an iPad at an event, kiosk-style. It should work a bit like a slideshow, with 12 or so slides, and they want it to look neat, with cool animations and stuff. We have a designer who'd provide Photoshop mockups and feedback (but probably no direction on the animations). We obviously need total mobile compliance (phones included). Oh and also, it would have to be able to host the text on the slides somewhere, so that our copywriters can edit the text without affecting the code or stylings.

    We're based in Canada. Just wanna do a sanity check as our designer has a few friends and contacts who'd be willing to take up the contract. How much do you guys think such a project should cost if done by a freelancer ? I know it depends on a lot of things and I can sadly provide no information as to the complexity of each slide (designs are not in yet). But any estimate or range would he helpful.

    Thank you !

    submitted by /u/lekevoid
    [link] [comments]

    Black Friday deals for webhosting

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:25 AM PST

    What would be the best web hosting for a small web application (like Flask) for a beginner? I see all those Black Friday deals and people hating and loving web hosts but because I have never had a web host before I'm a bit confused by all the discussions about which one screws you and which ones are actually good.

    I'm not criticising anyone here. For more experienced web developers, those discussions can be great.

    submitted by /u/RickDeveloper
    [link] [comments]

    I made a guided CLI to create your merge request for Gitlab from your terminal

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 07:46 AM PST

    [Networking] How do I switch from using a wifi connection to using an ethernet connection with Apache?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 07:36 AM PST

    Hi there!

    I have a Raspberry Pi that functions as an apache server for my website. Thus far it has been connected to the internet by a wifi signal. The router was configured so that port x was forwarded to the physical IP of my Pi, and Apache listened to that port.

    Now I've switched to an ethernet connection (because our Wifi keeps dropping -> unreliable connection), but I'm struggling to get Apache to work properly.

    Also, I had other ports forwarded to SSH and the like, so it isn't enough to just connect to the IP of the Pi, I also need to be able to forward different ports to it.

    submitted by /u/Zecuel
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you find your inspiration?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 07:19 AM PST

    I am trying to jump into frontend development and I enjoy making websites at a noob level, but I feel I am sometimes stuck on 'What would make this website better?'.

    Usually when I am just browsing reddit I may come across a website and think to myself 'wow this is pretty cool, I want me some of that!' when I find a design that looks really good, or an animation that works really well with the theme.

    So I am just wondering, where do you guys get your inspiration/find really cool websites?

    submitted by /u/drunkmunky1994
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment