• Breaking News

    Monday, November 26, 2018

    A financial analysis I made of our reasonably successful steam game, at the end of a 2-year early access period. Thought this might be helpful for other devs. Updated with some post-launch stats.

    A financial analysis I made of our reasonably successful steam game, at the end of a 2-year early access period. Thought this might be helpful for other devs. Updated with some post-launch stats.


    A financial analysis I made of our reasonably successful steam game, at the end of a 2-year early access period. Thought this might be helpful for other devs. Updated with some post-launch stats.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 05:09 AM PST

    Where’s the best place to publish your indie games?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 10:22 PM PST

    I've been making some games for pc and I would like to know what would be the best option to publish my games. Steam costs way too much for me (iirc it's around $100 per game). Thanks for any responses.

    submitted by /u/DeveloperLuke
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Beginner Tip: Use the attribute [TextArea] for larger string fields in the inspector!

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 10:40 AM PST

    My experience of promoting and testing an indie game on events. I listed prices, feedback and tips. Hope it could save $ to some indie game devs

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 02:35 AM PST

    What I learned from releasing my first demo and 100k downloads later

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 07:03 AM PST

    For context, two years ago I started writing a series of articles about the development of the game I've dreamed about for the last 14 years. Since then, I released a demo which was downloaded over 100k times, got over 200 LP videos on YouTube, then I launched a successful crowdfunding campaign, co-founded a studio with 3 more people and finally released our game Long Gone Days (plug) on Steam on Early Access (which has fortunately allowed me to work full-time on the game during the whole year)

    In May 2016, after 5 months of intensive solo development, the prototype demo was ready. The only thing I wanted to do was to launch it as soon as possible to stop being so nervous, so I announced its launch just a few days in advance. I felt so insecure about it that only now that it was finished did I dare to send it to my friends. In other words, I had less than a week to receive feedback and make the necessary changes before the launch. It was an insane amount of work.

    After the announcement, a couple of Let's Players asked me if they could get the demo earlier to record a video and post it after the official release. I was afraid that the embargo would not be respected, but fortunately there were no problems. This time at least.

    I was minutes away from release and didn't know what to expect. Would I get hate mail? Would they say the drawings and/or the story is bad? How much would it affect me if at the end of the day I had less than 10 downloads? I tried to mentally prepare myself for all these scenarios, to convince myself that even if people didn't like it, it wasn't the end of the world. At least I could be happy knowing that I had "tried". I expected the worst so I wouldn't be disappointed, but it obviously meant a lot of (unnecessary) stress.

    To calm myself down a little, I tried to imagine what a positive scenario would be for a change. Long Gone Days had appeared in the international press before, without me ever writing to them, so in my naivety I thought these sites would be aware of the release. I firmly believed that the press would come on its own.

    DEMO'S RECEPTION

    As a reference, the prototype demo was only released on itchio, Game Jolt and RPGMaker.net (back then to upload the demo on Steam you had to go through Steam Greenlight first).

    By the end of the first day, I didn't appear in any gaming news site… but fanarts began to arrive! It was the first time I ever received fanarts from people who were not my friends (here are some of the fanarts we've gotten). In addition to this, Let's Plays began to appear on YouTube, some blogs wrote reviews, and within a week it had been downloaded over 2000 times. Back then I thought it was a number big enough to get the press interested, so I was surprised that no gaming news site had written about the demo yet. I only contacted them after a week or two had passed since the release, but obviously there was no reply. This is a lesson I'm very grateful to have learned with the prototype demo and not during the full release.

    I wanted the demo to reach more people, so I decided to go through Steam Greenlight. Here it got over 21,000 impressions and within two weeks it reached #9 amongst 2000+ games, before it finally got greenlit! Later I decided to apply to Square Enix Collective, where people vote if they would buy your game. It didn't make it into the official selection the first time, but the next month it finally got selected! The response it got was pretty good, a 94% of approval.

    Regarding the approval of the demo itself, its score was always above 90% positive on every platform where people could rate. Even today, we are still on Game Jolt's Top Ten Best Games. In terms of downloads, growth started slowly and gradually grew. Eventually the demo was downloaded more than 100,000+ times across all platforms. Unfortunately we can't give exact numbers, but I must say that more than half of our downloads came from Game Jolt. Steam comes second, then itch.io and finally RPGMaker.net.

    WHAT I LEARNED FROM THIS

    • One of the most important lesson I learned was that if your "news" is more than a week or even just a couple of days old, it is no longer news.
    • If you are going to contact the press, write to them at least a week in advance to make sure they read your messages on time.
    • Set up a Google Alerts with you game's name. There could be a chance your game was featured somewhere, and this is one of the easiest ways to know. Some sites don't get tracked, so don't trust 100% on this.
    • Set up a Google Analytics account. Paste your tracking ID wherever possible (within reason…). If you ever wondered where did all those people come from, Google Analytics most likely has the answer.
    • You can get your demo on as many sites as possible BUT this also means you'll need to keep an eye on more sites at the same time. If you update your demo/game, you'll have to update the build everywhere. You'll have to keep an eye on the comments, etc. Make sure it's worth your time.
    • After you announce a release date, let's players will probably contact you. Some of them tend to apologize for having a small number of subscribers, but you definitely shouldn't dismiss them because of it. It's way better to appear on a small channel that plays games similar to yours than to appear on a big channel that belongs to a target completely different to yours.
    • If you are going to send an early copy to a reviewer, be VERY CLEAR about the embargo. As a side note, during our Early Access release I wasn't very clear about it, and 3 days before the official release, a channel with 300k+ subs uploaded a Let's Play. I panicked, but obviously the problem seemed way bigger from my side than what it really was, and there was no negative effect.
    • If you have a free demo/game, definitely release it on Game Jolt! They also offer ad revenue sharing, and that's always welcome!
    • Register on every storefront you plan to use in advance before launch because you'll have to pass the tax interview and it usually takes a couple of days. On some storefronts you'll be asked to take the interview even if you're going to release a free game. On Steam they have to verify your bank account, and that takes longer than the tax interview, at least for non-US citizens like me.
    • If you have any doubts about how to get better visibility on those storefronts, don't hesitate to contact them directly. My experiences contacting Humble Bundle, itchio and Game Jolt have all been really, really good!

    I'm probably forgetting a bunch of things, and there's a lot more I learned when we launched the game on Early Access, but I'll keep them for another post because this one is already way too long. I think there's definitely a lack of information regarding Early Access launches, especially for narrative-driven games like ours.

    submitted by /u/burasto
    [link] [comments]

    Importance of getting an artist

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 10:42 PM PST

    Zero Sum Future started out looking pretty iffy before we got a proper artist and were having one of our more "artistic" programmers do the artwork. We were able to convince and artist to join our group of studio founders and it made all the difference. Sometimes the thing holding back your game is just not being able to admit that you need to expand your team.

    Check out how much of a difference our artist made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-NWljH1YI

    submitted by /u/Plungerhorse
    [link] [comments]

    Marvelous Designer needs more attention.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:25 PM PST

    I just found out this product existed, like a couple hours ago. I had never seen anything about it, and i think it needs to be considered by anyone designing characters, indie included.

    Marvelous Designer is a program specifically for making clothing or cloth in games. It does one thing but as far as I can tell does it better than any of the other options. I don't even know if I need it but I do know that I want to know it's an option.

    That is all.

    submitted by /u/AcceptedAlibi
    [link] [comments]

    Point-and-click Game engine for Linux?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 09:37 PM PST

    I got a new laptop and I was planning to install Linux on it. I'll mainly use it for web dev, light gaming and general use, but I wanted to play around some game engines for point-and-click adventures (AGS, Visionaire Studio, Unity + Adventure Creator...). Just now I was checking out these engines and to my surprise none of them are compatible with Linux. Is there any good alternative, or is it at all possible to run one of those with wine? Or am I going to be forced to use Windows? I did come across something called Sludge but I never heard of it before and I'm a bit wary of using super obscure software with limited community.

    EDIT: From the answers I got it looks like my best options are:

    • Unity for Linux (though it's not completely stable)
    • Godot (possibly with Escoria)
    • Visionaire Studio with Wine or a VM.

    So I will try those and report back. I'm still curious about Sludge, so if anyone knows anything about it please do share.

    submitted by /u/gulagdandy
    [link] [comments]

    Devs who released both Early Access and regular games, would you recommend going EA and why?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:34 AM PST

    I've read a bunch of conflicting statements about EA, some people say it did well, some say they would never do it again. And many gamers seem to just hate EA saying that devs just want to get some cash with an unfinished alpha which will soon get heavily discounted and then abandoned.

    It would be interesting to know what were the experiences of those who have done it both ways, and can compare the results. How smooth was the development after EA was launched? Did public feedback make you pivot in a good or bad way from your original plan (i.e. focus on bugs rather than do the features you have planned), and how well did it go in the end.

    And most importantly, would you go to Early Access again with your next game?

    submitted by /u/spajus
    [link] [comments]

    Super Space Slayer 2 trailer

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:34 AM PST

    I'm new to the Reddit Gamedev community, so here's the trailer for my mobile Android game, Super Space Slayer 2.

    www.youtube.com/channel/UC5FtVeVkIk2Vx4sQK9T8WPw

    Let me know what you guys think! Does it sell the game well and give people a good idea of what it's about? I have plenty more stuff to share so expect more.

    I'm learning about how to market my games and get more players, so if anyone knows anything leave a comment below!

    #MarketingMonday

    submitted by /u/PlasmaBeamGames
    [link] [comments]

    Critique my very first mobile game

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 06:50 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    So I've been getting into game development and have been making this casual mobile game on my spare time for the past two months, I think the time has come to get some feedback on what I have so far.

    The game itself is a rather simple "don't hit the walls" type, it has a randomly generated path as well as a ball shop (not many to choose from so far) in which you spend your collected coins, each ball has different speed and size. The gameplay itself is basically: collecting powerups and coins while trying to reach the best score you can.

    https://reddit.com/link/a0jxrb/video/hxuximquto021/player

    The point of this post is to collect some suggestions and critique on what needs improving by what you can see on this short gameplay video. Does it look fun? Do the graphics look up to par? Thank you very much for any help!

    submitted by /u/mgols
    [link] [comments]

    Is photoshop necessary when creating games?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 10:12 AM PST

    I've been watching quite a few tutorials on creating games (mainly Brackeys) and I have noticed that these people used a lot of photoshop for some of their work. I don't have photoshop and I don't really have the money to pay for it? Is there an alternative?

    submitted by /u/HotDogHellKnight
    [link] [comments]

    Gamdevs, how do you store / organize your game-related files so that they are easily accessible?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 07:44 AM PST

    Currently I have a top level folder for my game. The children of that folder include:

    • Unity code project
    • Documentation folder (systems explained and written out)
    • Mock ups and inspiration images

    This half works for me. The biggest pain point I'm seeing is that if I want to work on a few different PCs, then I need to transfer the files. I've been using Google Drive up until now, but have been contemplating a repository just to make things easier. (Never actually set one up before)

    Which is what brought on this question... How do you structure and manage all of the documentation you might need for your project, and how is it shared with others who you might work with?

    submitted by /u/dudblank
    [link] [comments]

    Releasing first software on steam today as a solo developer. Stats included. Have a similar experience?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 07:43 AM PST

    I wrote animation software that is (hopefully) very simple and easy to use a few years ago in college. In the last few months, I decided to clean it up and make a standalone version and put it on the steam marketplace.

    I did not use advertising or social media, and the "coming soon" page was listed for just two weeks. Over that time, I acquired about fifty wish list additions.

    The software plays a lot like a game, but is listed in steam's "Software" category because its main purpose is to make simple animated movies. The software pages probably get fewer views than the games pages, but seem to be much less competitive. In those two weeks, I got over 50,000 impressions and 2,000 page views.

    I'm fairly optimistic, but the only purchase so far after about four hours has been me buying the software myself.

    Has anyone here been successful with a similar release experience or with similar software?

    submitted by /u/Annual_Reply
    [link] [comments]

    What do you fill walls with?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:40 PM PST

    Every time a make a wall (an interior wall) it just looks so bare. I'd like to hang something on it, but the room is supposed to be a hangar bay so that wouldn't make any sense. What else could I put on it, be it models, textures etc?

    submitted by /u/Polar_Opposites_Game
    [link] [comments]

    2d game engine recommendations

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:27 PM PST

    I have been messing around with c++ and sfml, I really enjoy the programming part. I am wondering if there are any 2d game engines that help with sprites and animation, but places a large emphasis on the programming. Any 2d game engine that uses c++ would be cool, but I am open to all 2d game engines you may have in mind, thanks.

    submitted by /u/Nerelod
    [link] [comments]

    How real is too real?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:04 PM PST

    As an avid fan of open world rpgs, I've always found myself craving dynamic worlds that change as time passes and follow seasonal cycles (if applicable to the climate) that in turn impact gameplay. E.g. a blizzard has just blown through and now there are knee high snow drifts making it more difficult to travel, or it is Autumn and leaves cover the forest floor making it harder to sneak, or a drought induced food shortage has increased bandit activity, or perhaps a deadly disease has taken hold within a city and wipes out it's inhabitants.

    My question that I pose to you:. At what point does realism begin to detract from the gameplay experience, if at all?

    submitted by /u/Ni10doraku
    [link] [comments]

    I use Unity but im basically making a game where your a cube and have to dodge obstacles but do I have to write the same script for every obstacle or is there another way?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:02 PM PST

    Can someone help me with moving characters in unity?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:42 AM PST

    i tried following multiple tutorials but none seemed to work, if anyone can tell me how to move a character in a 2.5D plane, please do, im trying to make a smash bros type game

    submitted by /u/irkeninvaderaj1234
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a First Person Shooter in Unity - Switching Weapons - Ep 05

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:41 AM PST

    Pixel platformer game (work in progress)

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:38 AM PST

    Hello my name is Flame152 i'm not that popular of a indie developer but i've made some games that you probably might know for example my Run Block Run series.

    Now for the past few months i've been hard at work on a pixel platforming game and i think that my work is good enough to show some snippets of it.

    This game is a little trip back to the retro days.

    Now here goes my little presentation i hope you like it...

    Step into a whole new world with Baldy, and fend of the evil forces.

    With many terrains and enemies.

    Explore the world in style.

    Battle enemies from ground to air.

    And that's it for now i hope you enjoyed the some snippets of this upcoming game. The game is coming out soon and ill be updating you on the game very soon as well. If you are excited about the game or just want to know how the development is going i would really appreciate if you follow me on twitter @Flame152152 or here is the link https://twitter.com/Flame152152 so that way you can be notified on when the next snippet is out.

    That's all thank you for taking the time to read all of this have a great day :)

    submitted by /u/flame152
    [link] [comments]

    Let Me Make Your Soundtrack That Would Make Your Game More Compelling.

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:17 AM PST

    Hello there, ladies and gentlemen! My name is Vivian and I also go by the artist name VVN.

    I've been producing electronic music for 5-6 years and would now like to branch out and try to gain experience in scoring games as well, so I am here looking for a game developer to work with.

    Here is a link to some of my works:

    https://soundcloud.com/vvnzquan

    I am open to all ideas, but I mainly would like to work with either a horror game, a fighting game, a shooting game, a strategy game, or all of the above, or just pretty much any game with an epic cinematic feel to it.

    As for pricing, I am very reasonable and negotiable, so please feel free to name your price or let me know your budget. It would also help to inform me more about your project and send me frames so I can have an idea of the imagery and concept. I would like to work with something I think I would enjoy too. I am passionate about what I do and can promise you that if I like your idea, I will do whatever I can to accompany your game with compelling music that would enhance the experience for your players.

    You can reach me at: [vvnzquan@gmail.com](mailto:vvnzquan@gmail.com)

    Thanks in advance for your time!

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/VVNGamingAudio
    [link] [comments]

    Great article on Fan Games and their Intellectual Property laws. Very informative.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 06:26 PM PST

    prototyping talk

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:32 AM PST

    I highly recommend this talk. Unity related, but ideas are universal. Presenter is creator of very well known Unity assets and skilled artist ( I wish I had half of his skills in both areas - programming and art :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My-1qcMRZeE

    EDIT: aaaaaand it's gone. Video is marked as private.

    submitted by /u/moor_godot
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment