• Breaking News

    Friday, November 23, 2018

    ~300 FREE, robotic/sci-fi Sound Effects from a friendly sound designer.

    ~300 FREE, robotic/sci-fi Sound Effects from a friendly sound designer.


    ~300 FREE, robotic/sci-fi Sound Effects from a friendly sound designer.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 05:56 AM PST

    Hi Gamedev I recorded a swarm of insects around my microphones here in Bali and maybe these sounds are helpful for you too if you like to have some creepy sound effects! Greetings from Bali Free Assets!

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 11:51 PM PST

    Selling games direct from your website in 2018

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:22 AM PST

    Am I Dreaming? 0.04 USD Cost per Install on Google Ads

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:14 AM PST

    I have no idea what's happening, guys. If you guys know me, I just released my first game and I am experimenting on ways to expand my Audience.

    So I tried Google Ads 3 days ago. I put a target CPI of 20 PHP (rougly 0.4 USD) and did not expect much from it (because many people say they spend at least 2 or 3 USD per install). Sure enough, it was not getting any impressions. So the next day I was ready to refund my money from google, then the shock came. It actually showed thousands of impressions and some installs. Apparently Google Ads just took a few hours to update for me.

    So I was thrilled, although 0.4 USD per user is a big losing battle for me (my game is free) but this was just for my experimentation so I continued. I lowered my bid immediately to 0.2 USD per install in the morning. At night, I got 200 installs from Google Ads, which is amazing at that cost!

    I did the most sensible thing in my mind and lowered it even more, to 0.1, still getting lots of installs, and now I am running at 0.04 USD per install, still getting lots! After 2 hours I got another 40 installs from Google Ads! This is freaking amazing! I am wondering HOW LOW CAN I GO?! if this is the case, it may not be a losing battle for me after all.

    OR IS IT?? does anyone know? is this a trap? I am thinking maybe my ads are being sent to clickfarms? but seeing my user's location are still from 1st and 2nd World countries, I doubt that. But still, can anyone PLEASE explain to me what is happening? Is google Ads really this cheap?? Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/alonski22
    [link] [comments]

    12 Steps to Better Code

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:27 AM PST

    3 Minute Gamedev - About That Tutorial...

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 06:33 AM PST

    Raymarching CG Shader Tutorial [Part 1 - Shader Theory] - 'explaining writing your own shaders from scratch in Unity'

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:07 AM PST

    Looking for an engine to create a game similar to the classic Bard's Tale

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:54 AM PST

    Music label asking for $8,000 to license a song which has only 8,000 Youtube plays, relatively unknown artist. How much have you paid?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 06:40 PM PST

    Hi folks,

    I contacted a small music label to ask for a non-exclusive license for an electronic song to be used ingame and in trailers. Pretty standard request.

    However, the label came back with a price estimate of $8,000+!

    I like the song, but it has only 8,000 plays on Youtube, the Artist only 4,000 Facebook likes, and the label only 3,000 Youtube subscribers.

    I was anticipating a price more like $500-$1000, particularly from a new and upcoming label which presumably wants to get its music out there, get some credits, and get its artists and tracks more well known.

    What have you all paid to license existing music? I want to go back to the label, and ask for a lower price, but I would like to have some reference figures. Unfortunately articles like this are helpful to organise the deal, but don't give any specific price points to help guide price negotiations.

    For $8,000, I could commission a musician to make the music for the entire game, with loops etc. ready for the game engine, rather than just buying this one song that would need to be edited.

    submitted by /u/sickre
    [link] [comments]

    Perhaps the most influential game ever made. It took one man to make a game which revolutionised the industry, and made Taito over 2 billion dollars. This is the history of East vs West, of Man vs Machine, it's the Making of Space Invaders!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 10:14 AM PST

    I created a page editor, to make pages in my game

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 06:09 AM PST

    My game is about virtual internet, so i will need create many pages to navigation/hack/anything else . It was made in unity and can save/load the page in my own format.

    Editor in action

    Result in game

    Follow us:

    https://www.indiedb.com/games/grayhat
    https://twitter.com/GrayHatGame

    submitted by /u/massonetto
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone here used DecalMachine for Blender? Would you forgo it if you used Substance Painter?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:35 AM PST

    I've been eyeing Decal Machine as it's on sale on the Blender Market but surely you wouldn't use it if you were to use Substance anyway (as I plan to)?

    https://blendermarket.com/products/DECALmachine

    submitted by /u/james___uk
    [link] [comments]

    The History and Future of Walking Simulators | How they have Influenced Game Design and Storytelling

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 11:45 AM PST

    Possible inspiration for those that need that final push to start making their dream game.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 05:42 AM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I'm starting to make a VN and learning ren py as I go along. I don't want to promote the game as much as I want to have people watch a new person somewhat struggle through the process.

    I hope it may some people hope/motivation to take that first step to see someone who is just starting off as well.

    I'll be on twitch a lot for this (sencha_cinema_society). I'm trying to not make this about promoting my specific game (and you can take this off if need be)

    I'm using: Photoshop, Ren py, notebook (mac), Primere, possibly blender and film equipment in general.

    I would say the only advantage I have currently is that I was able to get a great artist for the project and that I've already been working on the project (no where near done).

    Aside from that if this can get just one of you off your butts and go for it, it would be all worth it.

    take care,

    PB

    (sorry for long post and like I said, I'm new to this community and don't want to feel I'm trying to promote the game as much as promoting what it takes to create something awesome. You can take the post down if need be)

    submitted by /u/Ihaveastupidstory
    [link] [comments]

    What is the actual role of a technical artist?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 11:32 PM PST

    I have been told multiple descriptions of what the key role of a technical artist is.

    Just a bit confused and would like some clarification about the description.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cheetosxd
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult would it be to create a game with very simple graphics and change to 3D graphics later on?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 04:01 AM PST

    One thing that's currently stopping me from creating the games I imagine is almost all the ideas I have , have 3D graphics.

    How much of a problem would it be if I want to create a working concept with literally just shapes (top down game) and then later convert it all to 3D characters with animation? Or does the game need to be built from the ground up for 3D graphics?

    I cannot 3D model to save my life and animation would be even more complicated, so it's become a barrier to game development for me because I get discouraged by it.

    submitted by /u/bcereus63
    [link] [comments]

    Smart AI Navigation Unity Tutorial

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 09:56 AM PST

    Setting up web texure with the lights in Unity.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 05:57 AM PST

    Reworking the car engine sounds. What do you think?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 05:33 AM PST

    What review sites can I contact for a possible review of my game?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 10:01 PM PST

    I have no idea how any of this works, but my game's blown up over the last month (100,000 unique users) and I would love to see if any sites wanna cover it at all.

    Can anyone link me to posts that discuss media coverage / where I can go to have a chance of getting a review or something?

    submitted by /u/Doge_McLol
    [link] [comments]

    Morphing lods in "Jak 3"

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:21 AM PST

    Feedback Friday #316 - Free to play

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 08:17 PM PST

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #316

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    Testing services: Roast My Game (Web and Computer Games, feedback from developers and players)

    iBetaTest (iOS)

    and Indie Insights (livestream feedback)

    Promotional services: Alpha Beta Gamer (All platforms)

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    The holidays are hectic. Enjoy 40 minutes of uninterrupted game development!

    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 08:01 AM PST

    Pixel Art Algorithm: Removing Jaggies by Sorting Monotonic Curve by Segment Slope

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 10:07 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment