• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 12, 2018

    What kind of "shippable" side projects will help me learn DS&A/become a better SWE? Computer Science

    What kind of "shippable" side projects will help me learn DS&A/become a better SWE? Computer Science


    What kind of "shippable" side projects will help me learn DS&A/become a better SWE?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 08:46 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'm a senior college student graduating in a few months, and I've been focusing a lot on side projects as a means to sharpen my programming skills, and practice some design decisions.

    I have some projects done, and I'd like to keep making things, but I've hit a bit of a roadblock in terms of ideas. I tried looking through python programming/java programming posts/subreddits, but some of them seem too simple (do not mean that in an arrogant way), and some of them just straight up undoable at my current level.

    What I've done so far:

    • Web apps using Django/Flask

    • a small/medium iOS app.

    • Image classification/sentiment analysis

    • Building a small database through SQLAlchemy/Flask as an interface

    • Other misc. local machine applets using python, like a time series data logger

    So my question is, what could I start building right now (ideally a shippable product) that would help me implement some DS&A and face design decisions, at a medium-advanced level?

    I know I should look to build something that could simplify an everyday task of mine, and I'm thinking on those ideas. But I just wanted other people's suggestions as well.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/psybroh
    [link] [comments]

    RStudio Chief Scientist Hadley Wickham recommends five books for data scientists learning computer science

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 03:21 AM PDT

    What is hard about cache invalidation?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 08:26 AM PDT

    I have been planning and working on a hobby project for the past couple of years. My next phase is to implement some ideas I have in the data layer of the project, and one idea will rely heavily on caching cyclic data structures. I've used caching extensively in my code over the years, but usually in the context of a framework and using "best practices" of that framework e.g. I don't have any experience designing a caching implementation in a complex persistence architecture myself.

    What are the gotchas? Why the quote that cache invalidation is one of the two hard things in compsci (Phil Karlton)?

    EDIT: In response to a comment, my question is about server side caching data layer, not CPU L1/L2/L3 caching.

    submitted by /u/calligraphic-io
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to figure out floating point round to even

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 05:43 PM PDT

    For the practice problem I'm working through there are 2 floating point representations: A and B.

    1. Format A
    • There are k = 3 exponent bits. The exponent bias is 3.
    • There are n = 4 fraction bits.
    1. Format B
    • There are k = 4 exponent bits. The exponent bias is 7.
    • There are n = 3 fraction bits.
    Format A Format B
    Bits Value Bits Value
    101 1110 15/2 1001 111 15/2
    010 1001 25/32 0110 100 3/4

    Why does the second row round down to 3/4, while the other does not round to 14/2 or 7?

    submitted by /u/zerophase
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment