• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 11, 2018

    [Showoff Saturday] Portfolio & Resume Feedback Request web developers

    [Showoff Saturday] Portfolio & Resume Feedback Request web developers


    [Showoff Saturday] Portfolio & Resume Feedback Request

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:11 AM PDT

    How is everybody doing? Hope all is well with you!

    I'm a self taught web developer with no degree or relevant work experience. All of my past jobs have been retail positions. I started learning web development around October of last year. Outside of doing one course where I completed, but did not pay the certificate for, my learning consisted of books, YouTube videos, and reading documentation, so I don't really have any relevant education to put on the resume.

    I also feel like it would be weird to call myself a full stack developer when I don't know things like sharding, proper schema design, or when to use indexes

    I worked hard on my projects so I feel pretty confident and I'm ready to start applying to jobs, but my resume looks so... empty. It's a bit embarrassing, lol!! Anyways, here's my portfolio and resume -

    Portfolio: https://treykris.github.io/

    Resume: https://imgur.com/f8rfCdK

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/gimmietheloot_
    [link] [comments]

    Developers who have used stackoverflow for Job hunting, how was the experience?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:38 AM PDT

    [beginners] Create the Snake Game Using JavaScript

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 07:50 AM PDT

    How I scaled a Fortnite website for a sudden peak every day, on a low budget

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 03:56 PM PDT

    How should official mobile or web apps authenticate with their REST APIs

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:57 AM PDT

    After reading thoroughly on OAUTH2, JWT, cookies and other authorization and authentication schemes, I still don't get how do official apps authenticate with their web APIs that typically require some sort of an api key or oauth access token.

    It probably wouldn't make sense to use OAUTH2 as it's mainly designed for 3rd party applications. However, there is one OAUTH scheme that I think can be used by official apps and that is 'Resource owner password credential'. However, I then ran through this article that strongly discourages the use of ROPC unless there's no other way.

    • Should I allow REST API access with JWT? This is probably bad practice as you can't revoke a JWT the same way you revoke typical access tokens.
    • Should I just use OAUTH's resource owner password credential scheme?
    • Should I just call get-api-key
      endpoint with a POST request that takes a user's JWT and returns an api-key that then can be used by my app?
    submitted by /u/feraferoxdei
    [link] [comments]

    SEO content inside JavaScript?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 02:34 PM PDT

    I'm coming from Angular and I'm developing my first content based website without a JS framework. I chosed not to use Angular for this because I want it to be SEO friendly but I didn't want to deal with Server Side Rendering.

    However now I guess I use some sort component. I do something like this:

    <script>
    var div = document.createElement('div');
    div.className = 'row';
    div.innerHTML =
    '<h1>HELLO WORLD</h1>';
    for (var i = 0; i < 3; i++) {
    document.getElementById('offers').innerHTML += div.innerHTML;
    }
    </script>

    I guess thats not too far from what JS Frameworks do with components. My problem here is that I want to have this <h1>HELLO WORLD</h1 in my html so It is SEO friendly because right not my offer div is initially empty. So I have the problem I actually wanted to avoid again.

    Lets suppose I can't hardcode my Hello World heading in my html. Is there a way to solve this problem without SSR? Or are Searchengine crawlers even smart enough to get the information out of my script so I wouldn't have to worry about his?

    submitted by /u/jwknows
    [link] [comments]

    go-init: Simple no fuss script to setup Golang blazingly fast!

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 07:45 AM PDT

    [Showoff Saturday] My portfolio site, what do you love/hate? Thanks Reddit.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 02:14 PM PDT

    I created the exact same app in React and Vue. Here are the differences.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 11:48 PM PDT

    Reusable DOM components, with Excellent.js

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 03:11 PM PDT

    I created Excellent.js to be able to write reusable DOM components that can be used seamlessly with any UI framework, or on their own.

    Note that it is not a UI framework, it is an extension for DOM, which does not obscure DOM, only enhances it. It lets you work with DOM directly, and it does not do any rendering, so your typical UI performance questions do not even apply here, as rendering is fully in your hands.

    submitted by /u/vitaly-t
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Personal Portfolio Site and Resume

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 08:15 AM PDT

    Hey there!

    First of all I would like to say how much I love this subreddit. So many posts have kept me inspired to keep learning more and more everyday and grow as a developer.

    I have recently completed my own portfolio site and resume and would love some critique on it. Right now I am working as a junior developer at a local agency, however always want to boost my skills to keep going forward in this career.

    Link: https://tyrpien.com

    Thank you so much <3

    submitted by /u/bartlo-mein
    [link] [comments]

    Introducing Electron Fiddle – Felix Rieseberg

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 03:20 AM PDT

    Released version 3 of Forge React App

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:32 AM PDT

    A boilerplate with a highly scalable architecture. (React Router, Sass, Jest, Enzyme, React Hot Loader, Webpack 4 etc.) It has a very small production bundle size (35KB gzipped) and a lot of other optimizations and features like theming.

    I'm trying to figure out what users need for a starter React project. Any kind of feedback can help me a lot!

    https://github.com/ioanungurean/forge-react-app

    submitted by /u/N3loco
    [link] [comments]

    Boost Your Page Speed: Reduce Server Calls

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:04 AM PDT

    Simple code fix required - Reward on offer.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 12:37 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I have some code, the code displays all the features that the arrows are pointing to, the image is:

    https://imgur.com/a/D3zfLYq

    All I want on the page is the progress bars at the top which are boxed in a red border. The form itself is Shopify's code which is not included. The function of the progress bars must also work, what I mean by this is, the user knows where he is and how many steps is needed, also, when he moves, the right step is "blued" and a tick, check mark appears.

    To sum up, I know nothing but I am starting to learn programming because of this, all I know and have tried so far is simply inspecting element and deleting the stuff I do not want but this removes the function of the progress bars (e.g turning blue and a checkmark when complete).

    The code is as follows:

    https://hastebin.com/alowosibaj.js

    I've got no experience with code and that's the reason why I need help. The reward I am looking to give is straight £10 to your paypal account. All the best and I hope somebody can help me. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/throrawayquestions23
    [link] [comments]

    api keys for client

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 07:56 AM PDT

    Hey there, I'm working on a website for a customer atm, and putting in a regular old google maps, and wondering about the API key. I went through the form no problem, but wondering, when I get this website up and live for the client, what do we do about the API keys (there's also one for a contact form plugin Sagenda)

    Do I need to walk the client through getting their own key, or do I just keep the one I got in my account? that doesn't sound right lol Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MasterFunk
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Feedback would be appreciated

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 03:22 PM PDT

    www.tylerhoytbray.com

    I'm a junior dev, looking for ideas on next project.

    The portfolio page was from me following along with Brads youtube channel and a lot of the projects are from Udemy.

    submitted by /u/Captain_Braveheart
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to create a simple mobile friendly landing page for sponsored ads?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 03:19 PM PDT

    Basically I am wanting to create a mobile friendly landing page to collect leads (email and name) that is separate from corporates website. I do not have access to the official website of the franchise so I am wanting to create a landing page of my own and then after they sign up they can then be directed to the actual website.

    submitted by /u/Black_Magic100
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Portfolio Website & Resume Feedback Request, thanks!

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 03:18 PM PDT

    I have big plans in store, but right now, I need a job. Roast my website on how I can improve my "hireability".

    I have a degree in Computer Engineering. I don't have any professional formal W2 web development jobs or internship experience. I'm at a point where I only have ~$2500 left in the bank.

    I've been submitting proposals on Upwork and Freelancer but no responses for months so far.

    Don't hold back. Let me know what I should do. I live about an hour away from Los Angeles, CA. Thanks!

    Website https://www.eric-liang.com

    Github https://www.github.com/ewliang

    Resume (pdf around profile description) https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericwliang/

    Some of my projects on Github are ongoing so they're incomplete. Just a heads up....

    submitted by /u/ewliang
    [link] [comments]

    I’m making an offline first WordPress PWA, part 4

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 03:00 PM PDT

    How can I downgrade PHP version in a server running LEMP stack (CentOS 7 x64)?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 02:59 PM PDT

    I'm using Vultr as my hosting, they offer the LEMP stack as a quick installation, which I'm using. Unfortunately for me, the PHP version that comes with the quick installation is the latest one, 7.1. IonCube Loader, which I need to run a script, is not compatible with the latest version of PHP, so I need to downgrade it to a previous version.

    How can achieve this? I have access to the console.

    Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/TheMadWiddler
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] A simple arcade game I made

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 10:22 AM PDT

    Thinking of trying to code a git based cryptocurrency (just for fun), but can anyone tell me if I'm making a mistake somewhere?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 02:06 PM PDT

    • Every person has their own private key
    • A transaction between two people encrypts the transaction with both private keys
    • The server decrypts with the associated private keys and checks against the transaction object at the current HEAD see if each party has enough currency
    • If so, the server updates the transaction object and sends it to the miners
    • The miners attempt to come up with a predetermined hash that's a combination of a number they generated, the transaction object and the previous commit's hash
    • If successful, they send that number to the server and the server recalculates the hash with their number, the transaction object and the previous commit's hash to verify
    • If successful, the miner is rewarded with currency added to the transaction object and a new commit is made
    • All miners are updated of this new commit

    So yeah, it's centralized and would all be done using git. I'm trying to think of security flaws though (outside of someone compromising the server itself)

    submitted by /u/componentWillMountU
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] List of upcoming SpaceX launches

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 05:08 AM PDT

    Made a simple application that lists the upcoming SpaceX launches. Soon I plan to add the ability to view the payloads.

    Would love some feedback!

    https://schedule-x.firebaseapp.com/

    submitted by /u/Fractyle
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment