• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 11, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - August 11, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - August 11, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - August 11, 2018

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - August 11, 2018

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else realize they were grossly underpaid? What did you do about it? How did the situation end?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:43 AM PDT

    I have 5 years of experience working at a major financial institution. I have been the tech lead on two teams recently where I have architected and implemented the core set of Java (team 1) and .NET Core (team 2) web services that would be the foundation of the app. I also made sure every repository in the app would be subject to code quality metrics via parent poms and parent Nuget packages enforced at build time, that I set up.

    I successfully pitched running kubernetes to upper management after I installed a kubernetes cluster as a prototype to demo its capabilities.

    I have created/given talks to my Org about how to use git, how to write clean maintainable code, and how/why unit testing is so important.

    I've done all this and more over the last 5 years at my company.

    I am a SWE1 and make 58k a year. I live in Omaha, Nebraska. I recently found out that a brand new grad was being hired, whose base salary was 65k because that's what base salary is for all new grads.

    After coming to the sullen realization that I am being completely taken advantage of, how do I fix this? Should I jump ship immediately? Can I just go to my management and say "what the hell is going on"?

    Has anyone else dealt with this?

    submitted by /u/restlessapi
    [link] [comments]

    My awful experience trying to find an internship, and how you can learn from it

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 03:14 AM PDT

    This data is from almost two years ago, but I thought it might still be useful for some people. This is from a large city, but not one that is know for a tech culture.

    This next bit isn't me trying to boast. Bear with me. I was a senior and had a 3.9 GPA, a ton of interesting side projects and high recommendations from my professors. One of my side projects was a desktop application that (at the time) had just hit 10,000 users. I had placed top-three in a number national programming competitions. I was a paid TA at the school. On paper, I should have had my pick of internships.

    I applied to 32 internship positions. Of those, 11 of them even bothered to reply to me at all, while the rest ghosted me. Of the 11 that reached out, 10 of them were generic letters saying the position had been filled. Only one was a request for an interview, and after interviewing, I was hired as an intern.

    So, this sounds pretty depressing, but there's two big takeaways here, in my opinion.

    The first is a note about that internship that I actually managed to snag. It was the only internship that I didn't actually apply for online. I was recommended by a friend who knew the recruiter. I know the whole "networking" crap gets crammed down people's throats...but, seriously. Who you know, and who will go to bat for you, is the single most important asset you can have. A below average student with a big network will have an easier time finding more interesting work that pays better than an above average student who is cold-calling places. I would bet my last dollar on that. As much as most CS people try to fight that, it is the truth.

    The second thing I want to note is that these applications were spread out over three months, the semester leading up to the summer which I wanted to intern. That's about two or three applications a week. I really think that hurt my chances. I was too little, too late. In retrospect, I would have started applying way more, and a lot sooner. Especially in larger cities, these positions are few and far between. I believe it's harder to find an internship than it is to find a full time job.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Edit: I keep getting a lot of responses telling me I started applying too late, both in the semester and in my education. Just to be clear, that is what I'm expressing in my second point above. Applying for internships in the semester leading up to summer was too late. Applying for internships going into my senior year was also too late.

    submitted by /u/NowImAllSet
    [link] [comments]

    Which companies did you have a negative recruitment experience with? Which did you have a positive experience with?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 12:20 PM PDT

    Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. There are good ways to recruit and bad. I'm curious which companies are getting it right in the industry right now, and which could improve? Please share your stories.

    submitted by /u/_captPlanet_
    [link] [comments]

    Company prestige vs. Project technology

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 01:57 PM PDT

    Hi CSCQ,

    Imagine you have been applying for a while and you have 3 hypothetical offers in hand:

    • The first offer is from a Big N company (Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, etc.). You will be paid ~130k total compensation and you'll be working on a project that is generally considered to be a less challenging engineering task (think CRUD apps).

    • The second offer is from a late-stage, but not huge, unicorn startup (Unity, Qualtrics, SoundHound, Reddit, etc.). You will be paid ~110k total compensation and you'll be working on more advanced engineering tasks (think working on the data pipeline for ML models).

    • The third offer is from an early-stage startup (too many to list). You will be paid ~90k and will be working on complex engineering tasks (think working with data scientists to build those ML models).

    Which one would you pick, and why? Essentially, what do you value most? Company prestige or project difficulty?

    Also, with future employment in mind, which do you think would look most impressive on a resume?

    submitted by /u/Gecko5567
    [link] [comments]

    If my company will pay for it, should I get my Masters?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:03 PM PDT

    I work for Lockheed Martin right now, and they encourage you to get your masters. Lot of my co-workers have it or are getting it. I think it's something to do with they can charge the government more if you have a masters but that's only something I heard not 100% if its true.

    Anyways, I've been debating getting mind. I just graduated last spring. I'm looking into online programs like Johns Hopkins probably the Software Engineering track they offer.

    I really enjoy not having school work now...I like coming home after a long day and just relaxing and if I want to code on my own time I can. The masters I feel will take that away.

    However Lockheed probably will give me a raise when I get it...same time though I could just job hop to another company after 3-5 years and get a way better raise. Plus truth be told, I do code on occasion and learn on my own...but I could be better with it. That's at least...my future wise.

    I have no intentions of going into research. Just climbing to technical ladder as a Software Engineer. I also doubt I would make the jump to management, I'm not the management type. Only like being a Scrum lead I would consider.

    submitted by /u/OkTie2
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any entry level jobs that train you while paying you?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:49 PM PDT

    I learned a little bit of java and I'm starting to learn SQL, but I need to start earning money immediately. Are there any jobs that train you on the job?

    submitted by /u/CuriousRemote
    [link] [comments]

    [33F] I feel very lost!

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:45 PM PDT

    I've completed two useless UG degrees (bio and engineering) which culminated in very little practical knowledge.

    I'm currently working in insurance to pay bills and dying to get out.

    I'm single and live in Canada and would like to move closer to the silicon valley.

    I got into coding a few years ago, and have dabbled in C++, Python, JavaScript, HTML and CSS. I also know a bit of Java and Matlab from schooling.

    I feel so behind. So far, I've accomplished (a word we'll use very loosely here), the following:

    *Completed the MIT edx course on Python and got 98% on the midterm and exam (and the same on Exercises)

    *Completed most of the HTML/CSS/JavaScript portion on freecodecamp and have also finished one project

    *Got a SitePoint subscription, where I'm almost done the Pathway (a few more videos to go)

    *Got a PearsonVue C++ certificate, and will be doing the intermediate one soon.

    *Solved 22 questions on leetcode using a combination of C++ and Python, and a few more on hackerrank using C++. Though mostly easy ones.

    I've worked part-time at a big non-profit organization where I was a novice web developer a few years ago before I graduated from school.

    What would you all do if you were in my position? I am dying to get a job in the Bay Area!

    EDIT: Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone. I'm getting a lot of responses regarding personal projects. Can you guys give me some ideas on some (relatively easy) personal/side projects I can work on to make myself more appealing? TIA!

    submitted by /u/OriginalPen
    [link] [comments]

    A question regarding the legality of making a personal copy of a work project

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:00 PM PDT

    I've been interning full time this summer. It's my first real job in the CS field. Every single week, I've been learning tons of new stuff that in my opinion will be extremely useful in my career. I would love to save a copy of this project as a personal reference. However, I don't want to get in some kind of trouble or something.

    Is this illegal? Or is there anything I should worry about?

    submitted by /u/Zeal88
    [link] [comments]

    I have a 1on1 with the new CIO. What questions should I prepare for/ask?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 05:17 PM PDT

    I've been with a company on and off for about two years, but a couple of months ago I was given a full time development position. Our CIO resigned about a month into my employment and the new CIO is having 1on1 meetings with everyone in the department. What questions should I prepare for/ask?

    submitted by /u/Worth_Guidance
    [link] [comments]

    I made a mistake and want to stop being a tech lead in my current company. Any advice on how to talk to my boss?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 12:18 PM PDT

    I posted a while back about a problem I was having with a team member:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/71sy63/one_member_of_my_team_im_lead_openly_defies_me/

    She was essentially trying to frame me as a bad emoloyee to cover for her lack of skills and she used to go to my manager directly to try to stop me. Well, things have not improved. This woman stopped being so open because I got her scared after she tried to lie to my manager and I unmkased her in front of him.

    However, now another team member is slowly turning against me, and I came to the conclusion I'm not fit to be a team leader.

    Last time something bad happened (last week) I stopped a team member from working on project features in the wrong order and/ proceeding on a wrong assumption (which would have been risky).

    We had set the tasks and she started going her own way, doing whatever task she felt like doing, not what was set by me. When I intervened, she got visibly angry, backed down but immediately complained to another coworker. This coworker forward the complaint which, evnetually, got to my manager.

    This is what I'm dealing with. And I'm exhausted. I'm being constantly put on a team leader+project management position by my manager which means I have power and responsibility, and I do everything I can to meet deadlines, while my coworkers tey to stop me by using gossip, complaining and acting passive aggressive towards me.

    My "senior" team members hate me, and because my manager is shielded (he doesn't get involved on purpose), they take it out on me. I may not be the most amazing leader in the world, but I'm a little tired of being used as a scapegoat. I'm not supposed to give orders, I'm not supposed to manage as it's seen as "micromanagement", I'm not supposed to force people to work on the tasks I want, I'm not supposed to even say how I'd like code to be written (in terms of quality), and I'm not supposed to enforce standards.

    But hey, I'm supposed to guarantee the project gets done and make these people happy by accepting their every whim!

    Again, maybe it's me, but I'm exhausted. Sorry guys for the rant. Any advice on how I can get out of this and remain at the company?

    submitted by /u/ios-pro77
    [link] [comments]

    Intern just started this week and already feel behind..

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 05:07 PM PDT

    I just started this week at a mid-size company and already feel super behind. They have most interns/new hires start out with these labs and expected me to be done with all 5 by end of Tuesday and I've only finished 2. I'm staying late, and trying to read about some of the new material i'll be working with on my own time all to catch up but everything is all so new its taking me longer than I expected to catch all my bugs/understand the new CS concepts I need to apply. It's pretty embarrassing and I feel like i'm bothering the devs around me with tutorial questions, all of this has been messing with my confidence and making me feel pretty shitty in general.

    Long rant aside, how fucked are interns who can't deliver on deadlines that are assigned?

    submitted by /u/OtherExcuse
    [link] [comments]

    Do most tech conpanies have good SWE practices?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 12:44 PM PDT

    I'm semi new at this tech company and we follow top notch practices. Full unit, component and integration tests and strict code reviews. Very strict. Nothing is merged unless verified, compile and tested by another developer. Sure, it's a bottleneck, but we don't lose quality.

    Who else does this? I want to leave this company to travel and explore other bigN in the near future, but I want to only go to a company that is strict about their code quality.

    submitted by /u/FloppyDiskMuffin
    [link] [comments]

    How realistic is it to say " I want to work in a software hub for XYZ company"1

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 08:01 PM PDT

    If I wanted to work in Seattle specifically for either Tmobile or Microsoft (and if I get lucky facebook and google) , how much am I cheating myself?

    submitted by /u/jackalope100
    [link] [comments]

    Rising Senior with one internship under his belt. Do I apply for another internship or for a full-time offer?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 01:23 PM PDT

    I have a degree in Poli Sci and then went back to school for a second degree in CS. As a result I began my CS career as a junior. I just wrapped up my first internship experience in Software Engineering and plan to graduate May of 2019. Am I ready to apply for full-time offers? Should I apply for a second internship instead, and then hope for a return offer / apply for full time offers during the 2019 summer? Maybe this is just imposter syndrome speaking - I'd love some perspective on this.

    submitted by /u/sethosayher
    [link] [comments]

    How do you not feel bad about work?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 08:04 AM PDT

    I'm a senior developer and I would say that I am in theory a good developer. Where I mess up is wanting to deliver too much too quickly. I rush, I cut corners and I don't follow practices well enough.

    When things go wrong or there is a pressure to deliver I feel bad and I can sometimes make things worse by not being thorough enough in my planning. Right now is one such time and I feel bad and sick with stress.

    I feel the answer is obvious: Plan better, take my time and deliver better quality work. But the reality is that in the heat of the moment I find this harder to do.

    I suppose my question is: How do you not feel bad about work and how do you stop the pressures of bugs and deadlines from being a vicious cycle?

    submitted by /u/ArtisinalCodeForSale
    [link] [comments]

    What’s your strategy in this situation?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:32 PM PDT

    So I applied to an entry level position at this company I've never even heard of. Truth to be told, I only know a subset of the job requirements. But I still apply anyway. Guess what? The recruiter emailed me and told me to fill out the questionnaire.

    On the questionnaire, the questions ask about how many years and where do I get the experience on the technology the company uses.

    My questions is, how do I answer these questions? What do you say? Do you just say I have no related experience? What is your strategy here?

    submitted by /u/inika_takara
    [link] [comments]

    When newly hired, how soon do you need to start making commits? What are the expectations generally?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:27 PM PDT

    So I recently got hired as a senior dev to start working in a small team of 3 other devs. I will be assigned to a very large existing code-base in order to add new functionality, refactor, write unit tests, etc etc etc. This is the first time in a long time that I've started as a new employee on a new code base. This shop uses many tools and features that I haven't used yet, and which I'm not familiar with. I feel like I have a steep learning curve before I can start committing code that I'm confident about.

    When a new dev gets hired in this type of situation....is there some kind of 'grace period' where the dev can sort of familiarize himself with the code base, and maybe read documentation on the tools and packages he's not familiar with? Or is it like expected that a senior dev start committing asap?

    submitted by /u/dlebauche
    [link] [comments]

    Unsure what to do about my job / future.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:19 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I am currently a student that will be going into his third year at University. I took a job in the beginning of Summer at a well known company but as technical support (mainly because of the company name). I didn't have any luck with dev internships and with this being my last option I saw it as a good way to get my foot in the door.

    I am now dreading my decision as I've come to believe that my time is a bit wasted and it would be a better use of it to develop my skills and work on side projects that might appeal to actual legitimate positions that would further my career.

    My Concerns:

    I am wondering if my initial thoughts are correct regarding working on coding skills / projects rather than building some basic troubleshooting experience with literally 0 coding while on the job.

    I am worried that leaving this job (which is supposed to be part-time not an internship) before a year (currently 5 months) might look bad on my resume and affect my chances of landing internships/jobs in the future.

    I was wondering if anybody was ever in a similar situation or could provide some good advice on how to proceed? I appreciate any advice regarding my options.

    submitted by /u/cssadboithrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Hackerrank Help

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:05 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I'm a rising sophomore in college and I'm looking for internships for next summer. I've been applying to some companies and many of them require a hacker rank challenge. I find them quite challenging and don't finish in time/find a solution. Can anyone give me any advice on how to get better at Hackerranks?

    submitted by /u/puddinglovah
    [link] [comments]

    How do I word what I did in my Software Engineering Internship when I mostly did automated testing?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:30 AM PDT

    Basically my internship this summer was supposed to be in software development (as referenced by the title of the position), but I ended up mostly writing automated, unit, and integrated tests and occasionally fixing bugs.

    Next year I really want to get an internship doing actual software development. How can I word this experience in my resume so that it reads more development-focused rather than QA-focused?

    submitted by /u/A_Legit_Throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Megathread for people graduating in Fall 2018 so we can share the companies we applied to?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 05:41 PM PDT

    Can we get a megathread where we can talk about companies that have new grad applications open for fall 2018 graduates?

    submitted by /u/fjffnf
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone here have any experiences working with Experis?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 05:18 PM PDT

    I am just curious if any of you had any experience working with this contracting agency? The "benefits" look questionable. $320 to $400 a month for a likely high deductible HSA makes it appear that they are not only not subsidizing it, but also taking commisions selling the plan.

    Also, these reviews... 1. https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Experis-RVW20984445.htm 2. https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Experis-RVW19936763.htm 3. https://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Sponsor/Experis/1085362_Review.htm

    submitted by /u/HauptJ
    [link] [comments]

    How to show metrics on your CV.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:38 AM PDT

    All I ever did at my internship was work on new projects from scratch. Most people work on existent code bases so they can say they made x more efficient and reduced page load times etc. What sort of metrics can I use in my case? It is weird to talk about making your own code more efficient.

    My internship has been extremely valuable as I got to built and deploy two full stack web apps to production on our cloud. I built internal tools applications that will mostly be used by team members, maybe around 100-200 people. Everyone seems to stress putting metrics in your resume but I am having a difficult time coming up with them.

    To give more details, the first application was a database management app to allow team members to manage their commitments to company clients. So all CRUD operations plus managing commitments. The second app was a dashboard application with a REST API and authentication, to link all internal tooling together with customizable widgets and user profiles. I used Angular, React, Mongo and Express but where do metrics really come into play?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/csthrowaway19877
    [link] [comments]

    Do you work on leetcode/CTCI when you have a few free moments or do you only work on it when you've blocked out time for it?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:48 PM PDT

    I used to work on it whenever I could. This lead to some really poor performance. If I wasn't fully engaged with the question, it would take me too long or I would come up with a less than optimal solution. So I decided that I would only work on it when I could block out time for it. Which leads to the issue that now I'm spending less time on it.

    Do you think it's better to take any opportunity you can to work on it (ie on a bus, some downtime at work, etc.) or is it better to only work on it when you're able to fully engage with the problem (block out 1 hour of no interruptions).

    submitted by /u/legitimatecustard
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment