• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 12, 2018

    Pprogramming tips from ‘Can’t pay? We’ll take it away’. web developers

    Pprogramming tips from ‘Can’t pay? We’ll take it away’. web developers


    Pprogramming tips from ‘Can’t pay? We’ll take it away’.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 08:23 AM PDT

    Question: How much did you all know when you got your first job?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:41 AM PDT

    Hey everybody. A bit of background on me - I'm a self-taught Web Developer, and personally I'd probably rank myself as somewhere around the intermediate/advanced-beginner stage...but that's sort of what I'm here to discuss.

    I have a great handle on HTML5, CSS3 & SASS, and a good/passable skillset with Vanilla ES6 that's getting better by the day. I have the basics - stuff like functions, objects, prototypes, etc. - down pretty good but I'm still wrapping my head around things like OOP and organizing some more advanced data structures. I don't know any frameworks at all yet - I will eventually, but I'd rather focus on becoming a wizard with Vanilla JS first (I used the same approach with CSS & SASS as well and I'm happy I did, I'm kind of old school like that).

    I caught up with a good acquaintance of mine over the weekend who's been a Web Dev for a solid amount of time. I told him all of this, to which he replied I'm probably ready for a junior dev position now. This...seems kind of conflicting to me? I'm on quite a few programming subreddits on here, as well as scan job listings around me from time to time, and most seem to have a higher barrier for entry. Usually most people seem to advocate for knowing at least 1 or 2 JS framework/libraries, as well as some backend know-how, even if it's just a little bit.

    I know there's imposter syndrome, and that job ads will always put up their absolute wish-list of requirements and you should ignore those, and yadda yadda yadda. But for my sake, and hopefully for others out there who are struggling to define some realistic expectations, I'm hoping to get some perspective from working class dev's such as yourselves.

    Your first job - how much did you know? Looking back now, do you think you were over/under qualified for the role? I'd love to hear some stories on this stuff, seeing as this is something I'm excited to jump into myself.

    submitted by /u/programmingpadawan
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a back-end developer with a basic CSS and Javascript knowledge. I don't fear them. I want to build my website. Which js / css framework do you recommend?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 07:50 AM PDT

    While I have more than 7 years experience in web development, it's fair to mention that I have been working exclusively as back-end developer over the last 3 and half. I have a basic knowledge of CSS, and I have developed back-end APIs in Nodejs & Typescript. (To give you context)

    Recently I have decided to build my personal website.

    I envision my website to have little but effective content. And of course it must be highly performant.

    I would like to implement sexy animations and transitions (looking for a wow-factor). It will be a great opportunity for me to improve my frontend skills and challenge my limits.

    Which Javascript & CSS frameworks would you recommend?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/LadyAranel
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone give me tips on how to implement this "bubble" animation?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 02:01 PM PDT

    I'm using Wordpress...not sure if there is a similar plugin or some custom css I can put in there. The link is below if you scroll down just a bit you will see it. Thank you.

    https://pubmatic.com/

    submitted by /u/mochafrenchie
    [link] [comments]

    How many are aware of how bad hamburger menus are for UX?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 01:46 AM PDT

    I'm just curious because there are so many posts and articles and tweets showing proof that using hamburger menus is very bad for UX. I would have thought most people are aware of this.

    But almost every single website uses a hamburger menu anyway. I understand why though. It's a huge PIA to make a header including navigation without using a hamburger icon. Hamburgers just make life so simple. You can just copy paste a component from any framework and you're all done.

    But if you are going to make a header menu without it, it's almost like making a separate webpage. There's just no component that you can easily copy and paste if you aren't using a hamburger icon in it. At least I've never seen one.

    I gotta admit, I'm tempted to join the crowd who just can't be assed anymore about UX. It's so easy to just simply use a hamburger menu.

    submitted by /u/Wild_Application
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to install a Lets Encrypt certificate on a domain that is hosted one place, pointing to a server with another host?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:50 AM PDT

    Have a list of coordinates for businesses. Want to be able to find the nearest airport for each.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:06 AM PDT

    So I have a huge list in a google sheet of several thousand businesses. For each business, I have their coordinates from Google Maps. Now I need to find a way to find the distance from the airport to each business location, and generate a link for it so that when it goes on my web pages it will be displayed as a google map. Easiest way to do this?

    Thanks for your time in advance.

    Cheers,

    Master_Jeriah

    submitted by /u/master_jeriah
    [link] [comments]

    Processing incoming emails

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 05:55 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    Does anyone know what the software is called that monitors an inbox and performs actions based on the email response? For example, GitHub allows you to reply to an issue via email and it posts to the GitHub website.

    How does that work? Does it simply loop an imap servers inbox and parse the emails? Is there an existing library out there, preferably written in nodejs? Everything I find has to do with email sending, not tagging and parsing.

    Thanks for the help

    submitted by /u/Treas0n
    [link] [comments]

    How Nextjournal team went from Elm to JavaScript to ClojureScript

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 05:22 AM PDT

    Two colored text changing mid-letter.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 01:41 PM PDT

    Two colored text changing mid-letter.

    Hey! I am new here so I don't knwo if this is the right place to ask in, sorry if not.

    I am looking to do this using only HTML & CSS but I am having trouble with it, I thought about having two layers, one black and the other white and put one under the image.

    CSS:

    .Parent {Position: relative; overflow: hidden; width: 743px; height: 757px; display:flex; align-items:center; justify-content:center; } .Title { position: absolute; transform: translateX(50%); font-size: 207px; font-weight: bold; } 

    HTML:

    <div class="parent"><h1 class="Title" style="color: white;">Random Text</h1> </div><h1 class="Title" style="color: black;">Random Text</h1> 

    Sorry about the spahgetti code, I tried my best :(

    Here is a picture example to what I am trying to do:

    https://i.redd.it/3x4dev1o1qf11.png

    submitted by /u/ExtraCloudyBoy
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended Javascript resources?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:48 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I have a fundamental understanding of JS, but I'd like to expand it. I am looking for either some youtube videos or a book that would be good at explaining some of the more advanced stuff, but also some new additions. The things I'd like to learn are hoisting, event bubbling, prototyping, AJAX and ES5 & 6. What do you recommend?

    submitted by /u/icyfoxlol
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Built a calendar app using React

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:51 PM PDT

    Originally, I wanted something that could help me to keep track of the days that I've exercised. But rather than buying a physical calendar and crossing off the days with a sharpie, I decided to take a more digital approach. Plus it was good practice in helping to build my react skills!

    The app lets you mark off dates to keep keep a visual record of your activity, calculates a monthly and yearly total for the number of days marked, allows you to change theme colors, and allows you to name your calendar. All of the data is cached in the browser's local storage so it persists between sessions, as long as you don't clear your browser's cache.

    This was a fun little project and has proven super helpful for me. Just wanted to share it and see what y'all think. Would love to hear any feedback on design, usability, code structure/quality, or ideas for features that could make this app more useful!

    Webapp: https://gauravtamhan.github.io/calendar/

    Github: https://github.com/gauravtamhan/calendar

    submitted by /u/gorowurboat
    [link] [comments]

    Wanna learn how to build an cinema app? I made a video about it :)

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:00 AM PDT

    Wanna learn how to build an cinema app? I made a video about it :)

    What's up? I recently started a YouTube channel where I teach how to translate designs into actual code.

    If you are interested in learning how to build a gorgeous cinema app, check out my latest video:

    https://youtu.be/Kxvui1ajRtE

    Have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/elgoral
    [link] [comments]

    Setting Border Color of TextInput Component In React Native

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:19 AM PDT

    SPA Question: Best tools and strategy for url navigation?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 07:39 AM PDT

    I'm in the process of rebuilding my single page web application and I would like to implement a better url strategy for page and resource navigation. I would like to make the url easier for end users to understand and share urls to specific pages, widgets, and even specific resources.

    Right now I'm doing this with "domain.com/index.html#App/Page/Widget/Resource" and I am a big fan of web apps that do not include the "index.html" and the "#" hash.

    What I would like to have is "domain.com/App/Page/Widget/Resource" that looks really clean and if someone shares the url to the page or widget level it goes directly to it when the receiver opens the app. Any suggestions on libraries or strategies that I should look at?

    I'm a fan of app.asana.com's url strategy and I'm also curious if anyone knows what tools they use.

    submitted by /u/ozarkexpeditions
    [link] [comments]

    Issues with Style Sheets. Anybody can explain to me why? Help!

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 07:37 AM PDT

    So for class I'm following the step by step instructions for this (everything was going excellent) that was until I get stuck on linking an HTML document to a style sheet.

    I've been given two files (since this was an example for class) and I've followed everything and the new apperance is still not showing.

    Any Help?

    Here's the code:

    <<!DOCTYPE html>

    <html>

    <head>

    <meta charset="utf-8" />

    <meta name="keywords" content="Thai, restaurant, Charlotte, food" />

    <title>About Curbside Thai</title>

    <link href="ct\\\_base.css" rel="stylesheet" />

    <link href="ct\\\_layout2.css" rel="stylesheet" />

    </head>

    <body>

    <header>

    <h1>Curbside Thai</h>

    </header>

    <article>

    <h1>About Us</h1

    <p><strong>

    Curbside Thai</strong> brings the rich flavor of Thailand to

    North Carolina. Master Chef Sajja Adulet, with over 35

    years of experience at the House of Asia, now offers

    that same fine dining to the streets of Charlotte

    with our modern mobile food truck.</p>

    <p>

    This is not bland vendor food packaged in greasy

    paper boxes! Sample his acclaimed cuisine at our various

    mobile locations throughout downtown Charlotte from

    11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, and

    11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Taste the

    difference! If you can't get away from your desk,

    <em>Curbside Thai will deliver</em>.</p>

    <p>

    Contact us to cater your next party and experience

    what <cite>Carolina Traveler</cite> <q>calls the finest Asian food

    on or off the streets of Charlotte.</q></p>

    </article>

    <footer>

    Curbside Thai 411 Belde Drive, Charlotte NC 28201 704-555-

    1151

    </footer>

    </body>

    </html>

    I'm using Notepad++

    UPDATE: I FOUND THE ISSUE!!!! Thank you all for the help!!! turns out that it has to be in the same folder in order for the links to work. I screamed in victory and now have the stupidest grin on my face. THANK YOU!!! also a big THANK YOU!!!!!!

    submitted by /u/tea_drinking_lady
    [link] [comments]

    Passive Billing/Invoice System

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 07:22 AM PDT

    Which stack of technologies you guys recommend for building this Project, and from 1 to 10 how hard and how much time would you think this consumes for a junior developer.

    Project:
    -An Invoice/Billing System
    -Invoices are Generated in the web, then exported as pdf, or direct print, or export to quickbooks/excel
    -The user has a history of invoices generated, and every invoice generated ties to previous invoices

    -So, most of the work I assume would be in DB design, so what kind of DB should I go, SQL or NonSQL

    Thanks for your help,

    P.S. If somebody knows any open source project like this please post it in comments below.

    submitted by /u/SettySatt
    [link] [comments]

    Is this true for webdev jobs?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:47 AM PDT

    Disable Iframe from asking for location

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 01:38 AM PDT

    My client already paid for some service they need/want integrated into the site. I'm using WordPress, and the whole page in question only contains this Iframe.

    Anyone know of a way to just enforce a sitewide rule? Am I able to just add a line into the shortcode itself which prevents the embedded service from using getCurrentPosition, or just sends back a spoofed value or something?

    submitted by /u/EfficientMasturbater
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Reddit Backup CLI

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 01:21 AM PDT

    Created a CLI over the week to recursively download all my Reddit data into a JSON file. I intend to search/filter/sort through the dumped JSON file for posts/comments that I had saved/upvoted a long time back and can only recall certain parts of it. Filtering by specific sub-reddits is a Reddit Gold feature, so this tool makes it kinda useful to do the sorting by myself. It also saves time while going-through multiple pages on Reddit. Data is also available offline. There are 3'rd party sites that do this, however, privacy still remains a big issue.

    Feedback is welcome.

    Github link

    submitted by /u/kamikazechaser
    [link] [comments]

    Will I Fit In ??

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 08:52 PM PDT

    Hey all ! I am currently learning front end development. I am an African American female. I have been reading blog posts about how minority women break into tech and how they feel about being a double minority in a predominantly white male role. Most of the "testimonies" were from white male developers/programmers who said they never "saw" any type of judgment,bias or unfair treatment to women or minority women. A couple of blog posts were by white women who did not feel that there was any mistreatment, but they were usually the only woman or one of the few women at their company. There was another blog post by an african american female and she stated that she felt lonely when at work because she had noone to relate to. This actually caused her great emotional distress. What I'm afraid of is that employers will judge my competency. I would say I'm not your average type of female who wants to become a front end developer. I'm very feminine, I get my nails done , I love pink , I wear makeup . I'm very much a girly girl. Just imagine a Gabrielle Union walking in to interview for a front end development role. I guess what I am asking is will I be judged based off of my physical appearance and the fact that I am a black woman ? Will my coworkers not take me seriously ? Will I be deemed incompetent? What are you guys' experiences being a minority in the field or working with minorities ?Any black women who are working as software engineers or developers? Is there a place for black female developers?

    submitted by /u/safiyyahmuh
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Looking for feedback on my app

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:12 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    I'm looking for feedback on my web app for my high-school. The goal of the my app right now is to stop having to dedicate time for announcements during our schooldays as they take a long time to get through. The app is hosted here Announcements Website. I'm mostly looking for negative feedback or bugs that anyone can find. Also here's a link to the github repo

    Please post a comment on what you find that is broken!

    submitted by /u/ivansonofcoul
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment