• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 12, 2018

    My Android game is currently #14 trending in the Play Store, just after two days of release. How do I take full benefit of this?

    My Android game is currently #14 trending in the Play Store, just after two days of release. How do I take full benefit of this?


    My Android game is currently #14 trending in the Play Store, just after two days of release. How do I take full benefit of this?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 01:40 AM PDT

    And how often does games get to trending? I only had over 50 downloads yesterday and I was happy about that. Maybe someone at Google saw some potential.

    Will trended apps spread to other countrys eventually?

    submitted by /u/SamujaXx
    [link] [comments]

    What Is a Good Beginner's Goal for Game Development? (Details in Comments)

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 12:24 PM PDT

    I have zero programming experience but have started to gather resources to learn C++. If my aim is to eventually create a game, what is a good starting goal that I should be aiming for?

    submitted by /u/LostProof
    [link] [comments]

    Help choosing the right platform for my "serious game"

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 07:02 AM PDT

    I'm a C++ programmer, and I don't know beans about anything that doesn't quietly do magic on a server somewhere. I have an idea for a serious game to help people practice piano. I've done some research and have some idea of where to go, but I'm hoping some of y'all who know the ecosystem better could give me some pointers in a better direction.

    Now, this game has to be used while at a piano, which means that it pretty much has to be for a tablet. Additionally, I need children to be able to use this, and the Steam ToS requires you to be 13, so that's out.

    This narrows things down to a native app, or a browser game designed to be run in a tablet.

    My understanding is that tablets are essentially "bigger" mobile devices, so there's the problem of choosing to develop for Android, Apple, Windows, or try some cross-platform dev kit. My initial reading suggests that current cross-platform tools still have performance issues.

    Which means that I'm going to end up making a native app for Android tablet.

    Does this make sense? Am I missing anything?

    submitted by /u/G01denW01f11
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to loop through 50.000+ creatures?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:55 PM PDT

    In my MMORPG, I've encountered a bit of a small issue... basically creatures may have conditions, such as burning, electrified, poisoned, etc ... all of this occurs if the creature has the conditions applied.

    However, I'm looping through every creature in the game in the main game loop and processing each condition, such as it's states, and removing the condition when finished, but however, due to the big amount of creatures the CPU usage is increasing CONSIDERABLY, up to 15% to 26% cpu usage and also a lot of stuttering going on in the server with lag reports of 500~800 ms each game round.

    What is the best way for me to address this issue?

    submitted by /u/darkades94
    [link] [comments]

    Rotating 2D positions without rotating graphics

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:19 AM PDT

    So I am working on a basic 2D game from an overhead/fake isometric perspective. Arrow keys move the camera left/right/up/down. The trouble occurs when I tried to add rotation.

    I want the player to be able to rotate the camera (or map?) around the camera's center. The sprite positions should move during the rotation, but the sprite graphics should not rotate. For example, the sprites will always point "up" even as their position rotates around the screen.

    I thought this was would be easy. Just keep track of the X, Y, and rotation of the camera. However, I am having some issues. Here is a snippet of my code (Go with the Pixel 2d library):

     if win.Pressed(pixelgl.Key1) { camRot += camRotSpeed * dt } if win.Pressed(pixelgl.KeyLeft) { camX += camSpeed * dt } // similar for other key presses... // Draw objects for i, entity := range entities { sin := math.Sin(camRot) cos := math.Cos(camRot) adjustedCamX := camX*cos - camY*sin adjustedCamY := camX*sin + camY*cos adjustedMatrix := matrices[i].Moved(pixel.V(camX, camY)).Moved(pixel.V(adjustedCamX, adjustedCamY)) entity.Draw(win, adjustedMatrix) } 

    There are two issues: (1) after rotating, using the arrow keys now moves the camera at an angle instead of up/down/left/right and (2) I do not know how to rotate around the screen's center rather than whatever the current orientation is (0,0 in the bottom left?).

    Note: The Pixel library makes use of transformation matrices rather than pure coordinates. At first I thought this was good (I can just do a rotation on the entire screen!) but then the graphics rotate as well. As such, I just try to emulate using pure coordinates and ignore the matrix (see the line with adjustedMatrix, the matrices[i] is just that entities' X Y position).

    submitted by /u/user581321
    [link] [comments]

    People won't work on my game

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 12:40 PM PDT

    Someone on a game development Amino (mobile app) said they'd draw face graphics for a game I'm working on. They gave me a preview 24 days ago. But then they stopped responding to me and they havn't been online.

    And now I really want this talented programmer and graphics artist to help me with my Hamster Rivals Hangout MMORPG that I'm mkaing.

    But he won't respond to me!

    https://i.imgur.com/50Aqtc4.png

    What am I doing wrong? He's online, but he won't respond to me.

    You might know me from the thread I made on here around a year ago, where I kept hiring people to do stuff for my games on Fiverr, but everyone I hired would keep not responding to me and cancelling the order.

    My birthday month is this month and I REALLY want help with making the MMORPG that I'm making. The person doing graphics gave me graphics of a front of a hamster, but hasn't made any graphics since then either. I'm too shy and nervous to ask her for more graphics, I'm worried that I'll sound very pushy and mean if I ask her for more graphics.

    My whole family keeps saying "YOUR 30 YEARS OLD, why haven't you released any games yet!?!??!!??!" and I keep getting invited to family reunions and everyone keeps asking me what I'm working on, and I say I'm learning how to make games, and my family keeps saying "I'm surprised you haven't released a game yet."

    I made over 50 computer projects and over 6 online games and lots of other games, but they're all small fangames that I made literally 15 years ago. I want to make something original now, a MMORPG called "Hamster Rivals Hangout." It'll be kinda like the Hamtaro games, like how Stardew Valley is kinda like a Harvest Moon game.

    I don't know what to do so that this person will respond to me. I want him to make the Action-RPG and Building systems to my Hamster Rivals Hangout MMORPG, he uses the same engine that I use (BYOND) but he won't respond to me and I don't know what to say to him so that he'll respond to me.

    submitted by /u/TrainerAbu
    [link] [comments]

    Don't want to deal with tedious IDE or compiling setups. What are some lightweight tools to get going?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 04:51 AM PDT

    I've been using Java with LibGDX in the past and had a good time with this. Now I reinstalled windows and can't get it to run flawlessly and honestly I don't want to deal with all this stuff anymore: IDE setups, build paths, exporting, bundling etc. Ideally I want to code in plain old Notepad++ and just hit a .exe to get it running and don't waste time to install and configure bloated IDEs because I probably only need like 1% of their features. Neither do I want to spend hours figuring out how to get my game running for others. I already dipped into Lua + Love2d which seems to be exactly what I want my workflow to be. Now Lua is a completely foreign to me coming from Java. Also looked at Phaser + JS but it seems to be a pain in the ass to get a native desktop application running. Are there similar options? I'm looking to create 2D-only games for desktop.

    submitted by /u/synthesizednoise
    [link] [comments]

    How do you handle fans?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 05:49 PM PDT

    It's been 10 months since I published my game on Steam, and I've gotten a decent number of folks who want to be very active with my game's development. Some are very active on the Steam forums, some prefer to only email me, and few have gotten onto my Steam friends list (since I use my personal account).

    I'm curious how you guys handle fans. Does it raise expectations, especially when you're trying to take a break but you know there are people expecting more updates and can see you playing other games? How about the people who offer to help? I've had some people who offered to write scripts or contribute code. It doesn't feel right to accept their offer without compensating them, but I do feel that outright refusing might be losing potentially valuable resources. Any other thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Snarkstopus
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a College Student Starting Game Dev Streams

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 06:00 AM PDT

    I'm developing a game in UE4, and I want to share my progress with you wonderful people. I'm going to try to do dev streams every weekend. If you're interested, you can see the team's overall progress here: Project Vitalus or watch the dev streams live on Twitch here: Procedural Animation Scripting.

    submitted by /u/AllanRaycast
    [link] [comments]

    Soundtrack Sunday #255 - Bosca in the end

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:54 AM PDT

    Soundtrack Sunday #255 - Bosca in the end

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:52 AM PDT

    Here is the Game DESIGN DOcument of an Idea I had about a detective Game where the protagonist is a drug addict. Tell me what you think.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:25 AM PDT

    What happened to PromoterApp?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:47 AM PDT

    I don't know how I missed this (possibly because I was launching a game from Early Access into full release those days) but it looks like PromoterApp no longer exists.

    Does anyone know what happened and if there are some good alternatives to their event calendar?

    submitted by /u/richmondavid
    [link] [comments]

    Would you take Equity instead of Cash for A Startup?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:46 AM PDT

    Not a Job posting but more of a hiring job question.

    I have obviously heard mixed emotions about working for Equity and the risks that come with it so please refrain from making this post an informational one. I just want peoples opinions on their take from actually already being in that position before. Understanding as a entrepreneur that anything you invest your time into is a calculated risk for yourself and whatever business venture you are attempting to be successful at is key.

    Has anyone ever taken the equity position and been successful at it? Or is there anyone who is currently In that position right now or wants to be in that position

    What are your skills that you have that makes you interested in an app development start up?

    In a world where open source coders work for free, it's very easy to do work that is meaningless and unprofitable at the end. What would it take for you to want to work for a piece of the companies equity when it's stationed at "rock bottom" and hasn't been developed yet?

    I believe we fail to talk about this more and people want to push out high dollar numbers without even having a reliable back ground or portfolio. Internships are a great alternative but it's not the same as owning equity or having a common vision that can last due to internships mainly being temp jobs just for an above experience that you may not even have. (Which is the whole purpose of getting a team together who sees and believes the business vision and direction)

    Which leads to the next question, What makes a great bunch of workers be a successful team when eating ramen and working 50-60 hours a week just for a vision?

    Someones opinion can obviously be altered due to believing the work could help the business become the next big thing and gaining financial success. However, a vision doesn't pay the bills at first so what would it take for you to say yes to a position like this?

    Would you require 50% equity shares and be co-founder or would you be more interested in the future possibilities of being a Director over other employees and owning 10%-20% of the companies equity?

    It's a lot to think about especially in this every changing economy with how we communicate to each other and programs. What's your opinion on all of this? Do you agree or Disagree?

    submitted by /u/ChrisKY26
    [link] [comments]

    Team building utility for game developers to integrate with

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:17 PM PDT

    My company has designed a player matching, team building utility for Dota that we are wanting to generalize and make available to game developers.

    Our goal is to overcome certain social limitations of gaming such as skill, schedule, language, and style mismatches between gamers. We had quite a bit of success with this in the Dota community, and we're now looking to see if we can support the wider game development community.

    I was wondering if any game developers who have coop or team-oriented games would be interested in seeing a demo of the functionality and potentially beta-ing with us.

    Just to give folks an idea of what kind of functionality we've implemented thus far, here is a UI we built for actual Dota production data. https://drive.google.com/open?id=14mLWvV4z8RBcdd9lsj6YQ0p9YMH4hydk

    We currently can support the following functionality:

    • Schedule, skill, style, language, preference scoring
    • Comparison profiles between two players (intersectional view)
    • Comparison profiles between a team of players (composite view)
    • Scoring of players and ranking by score
    • Filtering of players by various attributes
    • Scoring of teams and ranking by score
    • Filtering of teams by various attributes

    Functionality we're looking to partner with game developers to build:

    • Game-specific attribute comparison (custom aspects of your game can become scoring components for our matching algorithm)
    • Embedding of results in-game via REST API

    If you are interested, please PM me so we can setup some time to video conference and discuss opportunities.

    submitted by /u/joshg2k
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a cross-platform 2D game engine that is good for UI-intensive games that have a lot of text

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 08:23 AM PDT

    I am developing a cross-platform 2D game which is UI-intensive, but I still want there to be room for animations and effects which is why I don't think I want to go with something like React Native. It's mainly for Android and iOS.

    There is a countless amount of game engines out there, but I'm looking for one that is fairly popular and has good support for UI elements.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/gamers_dev
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial - Laser System with Mirrors (link below)

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 01:23 PM PDT

    Very simple approach to an Entity Component System

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 02:48 PM PDT

    RELEASE: Native CastleDB integration with Unity — Access you data directly from code!

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:09 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I'm happy to announce that I've successfully gotten CastleDB to work as a game data editor for Unity!

    For some background, CastleDB is a structured JSON editor that enjoys an easy integration with Haxe-programmed games. Most recently, it's been used to great success with Dead Cells (here's the Gamasutra post where they mention it), and has been used on a few other notable Haxe games.

    Until today though, it's been Haxe only! I'm happy to say that I've gotten the database working in a similar way to Haxe inside of C#/Unity! You can write out your data, import the .cdb file, and then go into your code editor and enjoy edit-time data access!

    For an idea of what this looks like, check this out here:

    Edit time data!

    In the above example, you get that robust data access everytime you change your data or make a new sheet or column or anything! It happens automatically, no code required!

    If you're interested in testing this out (or using it in your game!) you can download the plugin for free here:

    https://github.com/kkukshtel/castledb-unity-importer

    I also wrote a bit more about the why of all of this, which may be good to read if you've been living in a ScriptableObject world and hoping for something different. It also talks about how the plugin works and such as well.

    http://blog.kylekukshtel.com/castledb

    Hope you all enjoy!

    submitted by /u/massivebacon
    [link] [comments]

    Scope Question On A 3D Online Co-op FPS From An Experienced 2D Dev

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 08:33 PM PDT

    Skip this section if you don't care about my background


    I've been a part of this community for a very long time. I've seen so many talented people post projects here and it's always amazed me how much such small teams could do. This subreddit has been a constant source of inspiration for me. There's absolutely no way I could have made it as far in my game dev career as I have without it.

    Earlier this year I finally released my first commercial title on Steam. Like so many other titles, it flopped. The game was a 2D wave based shooter. I can already hear you saying there isn't a great market for that, and in retrospect I agree with you. Through many other successful indie titles like Ubermosh and Bit Blaster XL I convinced myself that if I polished it hard enough that it would sell. After six months on the store I've sold around a hundred copies.

    I'm extremely proud of my game, but this financial failure caused me to reassess what it is that drives me to make games. I decided that if I was going to make games that no one else was going to play I would make the one game that I have always truly wanted to make: a 3D online co-op fps game.


    My biggest influences are EverQuest and Quake. I would love to make a game with a fantastical open world like Norrath with the awesome gun play found in Quake, but I just don't see how it's possible for just one person.

    Networking is complex and time intensive.

    3D development is notoriously harder than 2D development.

    I know how devastating it is to be six months or more into a project and realize you just can't finish it.

    Unreal Engine can make multiplayer easier, but is even that enough for a one man team to create something like this?

    Here is the bare minimum of what I would like to make:

    • A single region (village, outdoors, dungeon)
    • An arsenal of interesting weapons
    • Light rpg class mechanics
    • Multiplayer co-op
    • Enemies, NPCs

    I have absolutely no delusions about creating any of this artwork by myself. I plan on getting models and environments commissioned in a retro style a la Quake. The only thing that I would be implementing is the logic and programming.

    Is this project doable or am I completely out scoped?

    submitted by /u/burninupandout
    [link] [comments]

    Oh my giraffe

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 12:02 PM PDT

    I played this game on Linux loves it and I want make something which looks just as good. I have no experience at all in game devlopment but know basics of c and c++ prog and basics of data structure and algorithms

    submitted by /u/shvenktesh9
    [link] [comments]

    Things that a Guard would say in a quiet, orderly village.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 07:20 PM PDT

    The village is sometimes frequented by slimes, spiders, and other nuisance creatures. If you have a good quick one liner for a guard I would love to throw it in my game. I'm trying to give them a huge list of unique quotes.

    Village for reference

    submitted by /u/TL_games
    [link] [comments]

    Unity 3D Game Kit Tutorial : Death Volumes

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 04:55 AM PDT

    where to hire artists?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 04:03 AM PDT

    Hi, the title is self explanatory. I'm willing to "hire" an artists. The quotes are because I don't own a company so I can't make a proper contract (willing to sign one if the artist can make it of course).

    Please I'm not looking for places were people work for free, reccomend me a place with real artists.

    submitted by /u/joulinRouge
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment