• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 12, 2018

    Help with a website problem? Ask Programming

    Help with a website problem? Ask Programming


    Help with a website problem?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 08:16 PM PDT

    Hello AskProgramming. I'm trying to learn how to do some front-end web dev and started with throwing something together with a Github website.

    https://qtran1018.github.io/stardewvalley/shipping-collection/

    I'm having some issues with this page though, or the idea in general. Basically, this page loads like, 130+ small pictures with a low opacity. When you click on the image, it'll go more or less opaque, like an "locked character".

    I have 2 questions for this:

    1. On Firefox, the pictures sometimes don't change or only a portion of the picture changes opacity visually (but the console logs the changes fine). This isn't an issue on Edge or Chrome though. Does anyone know what's up?

    2. This loading of 130+ just feels wrong to me, like it's a bad way to write this. I have the pictures in a table right now rather than say, just pictures by themselves or a list. Is there a better way to do this.

    Thank you for the help.

    submitted by /u/Binkusu
    [link] [comments]

    What’s a good rule of thumb for deciding between simplicity of code and performance?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 06:07 PM PDT

    Where to find a good piece of code to parallelize? And what to look for.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 02:23 PM PDT

    Greetings,

    4th year parallel and high performance computing subject.

    The assignment will be to find some piece of code to analyse and then parallelize. We have plenty of latitude. Can use any analysis tools we wish. Can do it with Pthreads, CUDA, OpenMP, MPI, etc. However, Visual Studios based tools will be the only ones supported in tutorials and labs. Plus I went to the trouble of installing Intel's suite of tools already, like VTune. And I have heard good things about these tools.

    I can work in C, C++, C# without any worries. I know some linux, some beginner threading stuff, and I know enough about processes and hardware architectures to sound like I know more than I do.

    So I was wondering if anyone knew of where to look for good pieces of code to parallelize. We have been advised to avoid embarrassingly parallel solutions. Much mention has been made of the parallelizing loops following proper data dependency analysis. The code can be our own or somebody else's provided we aren't violating IP regs.

    At this early stage, I was thinking of taking some code I wrote last year which created Shannon-Fano encodings (similar to Huffman encodings) of text files and parallelizing that. Or perhaps extending some code for gen'ing Mandelbrot set frames to have zoom functionality, and parallelizing that.

    Top marks go to demonstrating scalability, which means running the subsequent program on more than 4 cores.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/filterthedreck
    [link] [comments]

    Error: “Attempting To Write On A Read Only Database.” Looks like my SQLite Database is in the wrong folder.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:31 AM PDT

    Hey.

    Im making a simple application in C# using Visual Studio and WinForms.. I'm using SQLite as my database.. When I use the Run feature within Visual Studio, everything works 100% beautifully.. The problem arises when I install my program onto another computer.

    When I install and run my program in another computer, at first, everything works great. Things that require select statements work perfectly.. However, when I try to do something that adds a row to a table or modifies an existing row, my program crashes with the following error: "Attempting to write on a Read-Only Database."

    Upon doing some research online, I realized that this error wasn't 100% accurate. The database is read-write.. However, the folder containing the database is read-only. So I guess I have to move my database from this read-only folder, to a read-write folder somehow.. How do I go about doing this? Which folder is it in currently, which folder should I move it to, and how do I prevent this move from causing any errors?

    The top answer here identifies the problem, but doesn't give a clear answer.

    https://stackoverflow.com/a/16068894/10216226

    Please help me out! I'm at the final stretch of developing this application and I really would love to have this completed!

    Thanks!

    Edit: Updated the Stack Overflow Link.

    submitted by /u/Pothead20
    [link] [comments]

    How Do Music Streaming Websites Deal with the Fact That You Can Record the Audio from the Sound Card?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 06:54 PM PDT

    Also is any more data lost from doing this?

    submitted by /u/crocodilem8
    [link] [comments]

    Got a business idea but need some dev help!

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 06:04 PM PDT

    I've got a business idea that seems pretty solid from what I've researched so far. I've got a bit of a map of how I want to approach the project, but I only have pretty minor web dev/graphic design experience and this would be a massive undertaking. Anyone interested in working on a side project and lend their skills with the potential of getting in on the ground floor of something that could be huge?

    submitted by /u/warpapaya
    [link] [comments]

    Are TLS handshakes encrypted?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 10:02 AM PDT

    If so, how?

    And if not, why is TLS encryption considered so important if the handshake itself can be snooped, rendering the encryption pointless (right?). I'm sure I'm missing something.

    submitted by /u/thiskimono
    [link] [comments]

    Other things like game of life

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:09 AM PDT

    I am looking for other programming concepts and methods that use some form of evolution as such, ideally I want to leave something running on a 24/7 server for a couple of years to see something evolve over time. So far the only things I seem to have come across is genetic algorithm and Conway's game of life. Is there anything else like this?

    submitted by /u/Finchlo
    [link] [comments]

    Architecture relying on a limited third party API

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 10:21 AM PDT

    Monitor Display Programming

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 01:50 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I'm currently working on some software with some colour blind-friendly features to it, and it dawned on me that one of the biggest determining factors in this is actually the user's display. So, my question is: what language(s) are monitor display interfaces programmed in?

    Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

    https://3dvision-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/acer-gd245hq-custom-cool-in-menu-690x467.jpg

    submitted by /u/IllustriousVoice
    [link] [comments]

    Reading C code

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 04:28 PM PDT

    So recently I've been reading high level code (python and JavaScript). It's fun and all, but man are they boring. No memory allocation or hardware stuff, and they accept everything. It's like I can just give my english essay to the interpreter and it will output something without errors. That's why I've been goofing around with C. It is the most beautiful language. Everything is easy and fast, and not unnecessarily descriptive (wink wink Java and C#). Everything in the universe, except the human brain, is written in C, and it's the lowest level language that people without 60 years of programming experience can read. C is the almighty God, but there, however, is a problem. Writing C code is easy, but reading it is a pain in the ass. I mean all the codes are older than my grandparents. I think the last time Richard Stallman looked at GCC's code he didn't have a beard. But you see 12 yr olds forking Linux kernel or vim's repo every day, and no one bats an eye. I have read the GCC documentation cover to cover, and yes I've also read the std man pages, but man, I cannot make sense of the old C codes. So what are some commented repo's, or some 21st century books, that can help me understand some C code? (but not C++; I hate C++)

    submitted by /u/arian271
    [link] [comments]

    How do you write Java generic interface declarations in C++1x and how does auto fit in?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:30 AM PDT

    Sorry I am on mobile so I can't just try it. I used a lot of C++98 for my physics degree. I want to learn how to translate effective Java practices into C++11/14/17 syntax.

    In Java you often write:

    List<String> stringList = new ArrayList<>(); 

    This has the advantage that you can pass stringList into any method that takes a List as input, and it will fail at compile time if the elements of the list aren't Strings.

    In C++, having defined a List class template with all virtual methods and an ArrayList class template too, could you write:

    template class List<string> & list = new ArrayList<string>(); 

    ?

    Is this just wrong? Should list be a reference or a pointer? Can I replace everything before list with auto? Can I replace the other <string> keyword with <auto>?

    submitted by /u/XiPingTing
    [link] [comments]

    Help with C# pointer problem.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 05:17 AM PDT

    I know as a general rule of thumb pointers aren't really used in C#, but it seems like every programming test I come across has a question about them.

    I was given this question:

    Write an algorithm that reverses the words in a sentence. Example "This world is but a canvas to our imagination" and the result should be "imagination our to canvas a but is world This".

    void WordReverse(char * szWords, const int nSize);

    The only progress I have made is that the function has to be marked as unsafe along with the pointer variables. If I can't figure out a solution using pointers I am going to use the the method I wrote that doesn't involve pointers. Any help or guidance to a source that can explain how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Noel9386
    [link] [comments]

    How to deploy this unofficial api and call it in android studio?!

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:54 AM PDT

    Hi guys !! Am new to the whole programming world !!! I wanna know how to integrate this subscene api https://packagist.org/packages/pecee/subscene-php-sdk And call it in android studio

    submitted by /u/malek_boudiaf
    [link] [comments]

    Adding new java libraries via eclipse

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 03:43 AM PDT

    I've been trying to add an external library to a java project in eclipse, and followed this tutorial. The problem is that the libraries tab they have under properties isn't the same as mine. In mine I have to have either Modulepath or Classpath selected to be able to Add External Jars, whereas in theirs 1) neither of those folders are there and 2) nothing needs to be selected to Add External Jars.
    Please help.

    submitted by /u/OrcFreakingBeliever
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to create a program that recognizes speech and returns search images of each word in real time?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 05:08 AM PDT

    I have a friend that has a show, in where he talks and his partner shows images of what he's talking about in the background. Sometimes the partner is not fast enough to keep the pace, and I was wondering if it would be possible to make some code that recognizes speech, makes an image search and shows the first result in real time.

    submitted by /u/DaTrickster
    [link] [comments]

    C question: When realloc'ing, can I use the same pointer name?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 08:40 AM PDT

    oldpointer = (char *)realloc(oldpointer, 50);

    Is that ok (reusing the pointer name)?

    submitted by /u/whozurdaddy
    [link] [comments]

    Programmer without degree

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 12:16 AM PDT

    I came to the industry without a CS degree. Just taught my self html, css, Javascript, php and some php frameworks by my self. I'm working as a junior full stack developer now.

    I'm working with other students who has degrees and I find this big gap between us. That is oop principles, db and app designing abilities, algorithmic aspects etc.

    What can I do to improve my self. I'm a bit scared about this that it will affect my career

    submitted by /u/camillegarcia9595
    [link] [comments]

    C++ / Arduino question. Pushbutton to change a variable from an array.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 01:13 AM PDT

    Hi team, I'm working on my first piece of coding so am very much new to this. I'm building an arduino radio and I am stuck on how I can use a pushbutton to change the radio station from a set of predefined frequencies.

    So far I have:

    - set up an array of the preset radio station frequencies

    double set_frequency;

    double frequency[7] = {88.9, 91.3, 92.1, 92.9, 93.7, 97.7, 106.5};//Preset radio stations

    - put in some pieces for setting the starting frequency for the radio.

    double set_frequency; Not sure if this is needed.

    Radio.set_frequency(frequency[0]); //Initial Starting Frequency

    I want to be able to push one of two pushbuttons (go left and go right through the array) that will change the frequency of the radio.

    I've looked around and most of the exemplar codes are for using an input to trigger an output, not exactly what I am after. I assume I need a for loop or some if statements there but am not sure how to proceed. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

    submitted by /u/erl22
    [link] [comments]

    What's the easiest or most effective way of getting the MSB in C?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 10:53 PM PDT

    Is it possible to do it using only the & operator?

    submitted by /u/BubbleBassOrder
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment