• Breaking News

    Friday, August 17, 2018

    Beginner Questions - August 17, 2018 web developers

    Beginner Questions - August 17, 2018 web developers


    Beginner Questions - August 17, 2018

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 06:15 AM PDT

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    TIL you can target selectors with keywords in pure CSS

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 07:03 AM PDT

    If this is common knowledge and I've just been living under a rock then move along...

    I just found this out but apparently you can target selectors with keywords in pure CSS.

    Let's say you have dynamically generated divs that do something ridiculous like:

    <div id="page-section-ojh897-sssygyt-666777-87q678">

    <div id="page-section-offf-9okhg38-iejd">

    <div id="page-section-b87ag-jabus7-ushbs">

    You can go:

    div[id*='page-section'] {
    background-color: red;

    }

    And it will specifically target all the divs with the keyword "page-section."

    Sample fiddle

    submitted by /u/kawnah
    [link] [comments]

    An article about how to scrape data from the web. (Example with financial data)

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 08:20 AM PDT

    VSCode can do that?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 01:45 PM PDT

    How has Google's monetization of Google Maps API affected you?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 02:12 PM PDT

    About 3 months ago Google announced a new pricing strategy for users of their previously free Google Maps API in which depending on monthly user flow, they would charge a significant amount of money to the creators. Haven't really heard any follow ups of how it affected people's app/business/projects. Care to share an update?

    submitted by /u/CodingLifeNoFriends
    [link] [comments]

    My first open source experience did not go so well...

    Posted: 16 Aug 2018 10:50 PM PDT

    I have been a dev for about 4 years and a lead developer at a software agency. One of my goals for this year was to contribute to an open source project.

    Finally I found something I was excited about and joined the slack for the project. It is a pretty big project with over 30 repos and a lot of activity and it was pretty intimidating. But there is a newer project they are working on that only had a few issues and >20 commits and a few good issues for beginners. So I took an issue marked for beginners and worked on it over the last week.

    Today I went to submit my PR and noticed that one of the primary maintainers had unassigned the issue from me and assigned it to himself. I sent him a slack message and he said "Sorry things move fast and I decided to take this myself. Im pretty far along and it'll match up with the work I did on [other repo]."

    It really pissed me off and though I just said "OK I'll find something else" I wanted to tell him that it was a messed up thing to do. And that he shouldn't have marked it as an first timer task and could have at least asked me about it — I'm on slack all day. I had a branch and had worked hard to meet the specs so my PR would be accepted.

    Anyway, I'm feeling pretty dejected. I spent a good 4 hours on the PR and it's all for nothing. I'm probably overreacting but just needed to vent I guess.

    TL;DR I went to contribute to an open source project and one of the primary project maintainers took my issue (which had been marked for newbies) after I had been working on it for a week. And I'm feeling rejected and wanted to vent.

    submitted by /u/sparkythehuman
    [link] [comments]

    [WordPress/PHP] Uploaded PHP file not detected?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 01:44 PM PDT

    https://nobleintentstudio.com/blog/mailchimp-api-example/

    I'm following this tutorial to interact with MailChimp API, but when I call the PHP file in my JS code, I get a 404 not found.

    The file is in the same directory as everything else.

    <div id="product-add-to-list"> <form class="email-form" method="POST" action="Email.php"> <h3>Receive Product Information</h3> <p>Email:</p> <input id="email" type="email" name="email"> <p>First Name:</p> <input id="firstname" type="text" name="firstname"> <p>Last Name:</p> <input id="lastname" type="text" name="lastname"> <button id="submit">Submit</button> </form> </div> 

    ---------------------- JS file -----------------------------

    jQuery('document').ready(function($){ jQuery('.email-form').submit(function(e) { e.preventDefault(); var data = {email: jQuery('#email').val()}; var endpoint = $(this).attr('action'); jQuery.ajax({ method: 'POST', dataType: "json", url: endpoint, data: data }).success(function(data) { if(data.id){ alert('Thanks for signing up! We\'ll be in contact soon'); } else if (data.title == 'Member Exists') { alert('Thanks, you\'re already signed up'); } else { alert('Something went wrong, please try again'); } }).error(function(){ alert('Something went wrong, please try again'); }); }); 

    });

    submitted by /u/tmoss726
    [link] [comments]

    What information would be helpful for programmers to memorize for their career?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 01:34 PM PDT

    For example in mathematics information should be prioritized according to

    1. definitions

    2. theorems

    3. proofs

    After memorizing, actually practicing the problems in the textbook becomes much easier (college math that is). Is there a hierarchy of knowledge that programmers should memorize that would make development much easier? For example would design patterns be one of them?

    I just want to make use of Anki. I haven't been using it ever since college ended.

    submitted by /u/Okmanl
    [link] [comments]

    First time project..Is it worth my time?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 08:12 AM PDT

    I am working for a classmates company to build a website. However, they are mainly interested in using things like wordpress, and squarespace. This is my first time working on a website for customers, but I do not how I feel about it. I do not feel like I am gaining experience through this job and feel a bit stuck. A part of me feels that they can do this themselves easily, but I do not want to drop them.

    If this is the wrong place to post sorry! Just was not sure where else to ask about this.

    submitted by /u/MultidimensionalDoge
    [link] [comments]

    GDPR

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 12:54 PM PDT

    I'm writing a website which will use the following details:

    • Full name
    • Email
    • School class
    • Account type
    • Action history (e.g. adding and removing posts)
    • Their user ID and similar data

    What do I need to clarify to the user, what actions do I have to take and what can/can't I store?

    submitted by /u/CrushedPixl
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn PHP?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 08:56 AM PDT

    I've started to learn HTML/CSS/JS to start a new career.

    throughout some courses I've been taking some people say that PHP is a MUST LEARN and some others say that it's on decline and if I master JS and NODE.JS to apply it on server side it renders PHP totally unnecessary.

    I'd like to hear some more opnions on that please.

    submitted by /u/Alyzter
    [link] [comments]

    How to tackle my first personal project

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 04:23 PM PDT

    Hi yall. I'm a second year CS student who wants to start a web app personal project. I recently learned the basics of Javascript/HTML/CSS now want to fall feet first into something.

    Basically, the project is a ranking app that lists the top 100 swimmers in the U.S. I will get the data from the official USA Swimming database. Users will be able to either look at the top 100 rankings based on time/stroke or search for the swimmer name directly and return if a result if possible.

    My question is how should I tackle this? Should I start designing the UI and overall GUI? How would I store the data? Would this require me learning backend frameworks?

    Open to all advice and tips!

    submitted by /u/mmonsterbasher
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help reading a .txt in a chrome extension

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 04:03 PM PDT

    Long story short, I'm making a chrome extensions to add data cells to a pre existing html table. I have all the data I need in a .csv, but I'm not sure how to make the data easily accessible to the chrome extension so that I can populate the table.

    What I was thinking of doing was somehow reading the .csv and creating a dictionary then insert the appropriate data when applicable.

    If anyone knows how to read files in a chrome extension or has a better suggestions please post below!

    submitted by /u/ThatTurmoil
    [link] [comments]

    Flat, simple, responsive and hackable Color-Picker. No dependencies, no jQuery. Compatible with all CSS Frameworks e.g. Bootstrap, Materialize.

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 05:13 AM PDT

    React vs Angular 2+

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 03:35 PM PDT

    So I am working on a web app which allows users to input content (like a transaction) and I want it to display. I want all the data to be hosted using either mongodb or firebase. The problem is I need to decide what framework/library to use on the front end. I have used Angular, but I find it quite clunky and very confusing (to be fair, I learned it through a 5 hour course and haven't programmed in a month), but I have been looking at using react because eventually (like way down the line) I want it to be run on iOS and Android. What would be better, React or Angular? Or is the Better way?

    submitted by /u/coolk2000
    [link] [comments]

    Build a Project Management Tool with Vue.js, Node.js and Apollo — Part 5

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 03:28 PM PDT

    unregistered, yet premium domain names?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 02:55 PM PDT

    This question might be beyond the scope of this subreddit, but I seriously can't find a more appropriate place to post this question.

    Anyways, I've discovered several domain names that are *absolutely and definitely completely unregistered* yet every single domain registrar I can find continues to list it as a "premium" domain name charging anywhere from $200 to $5,000 (I have no idea where they come up with these numbers).

    How can an *unregistered* domain name be listed at a premium price? I thought that was only for domains that were already purchased, but were for sale through resellers of one sort or another.

    Any insight on this is appreciated (yes, I've tried Google). Thanks!

    submitted by /u/delusionsofmorality
    [link] [comments]

    If I want to use Bootstrap only for the responsive design what other light frameworks yo suggest to do such thing?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 04:14 AM PDT

    I don't care about the built-in UI components, Just the responsive units.

    submitted by /u/noobfromjo
    [link] [comments]

    Google Maps API for static maps – don't want to add credit card info.

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 12:35 PM PDT

    Sorry if I'm late to the game on this, but I'm debating on how to move forward with client's websites who have only static maps. It seems we've hit Google's limit for free API's created without a credit card on the account. My company designs and launches sites, but we don't necessarily manage them past launch. It seems like a really bad idea to add a company card to an account that links to all of the API keys of all of our client's sites. Even if no one ever comes close to the threshold for the paywall, who's to say Google won't change that limit in the future?

    So, long story short (too late), I'm wondering what everyone else is doing. I'm thinking of just making a clickable graphic of a map while developing their site, and let them have the option to create their own api key linked to their credit card when the site is launched? We may just avoid putting in a google map altogether as it's not that important on a contact page. As far as our older clients sites that we don't manage, I'm thinking we'll just get calls about their map not working and we'll just have to advise them on creating their own api key.

    submitted by /u/snowblindswans
    [link] [comments]

    Let's build something

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 12:30 PM PDT

    Like anything, just for fun.

    You must be highly motivated with some experience in the field (at least 2 years).

    A team of 3-4 would be ideal. If you're interested, just post below with a link to your Github.

    submitted by /u/ossama_hj
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for API for Food Pairing - React & Python/Django

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 08:19 AM PDT

    Good morning everyone. I'm tasked with small student project that would greatly benefit from using an API. Our project is to make a full stack Food and Wine pairing app for the web. We will be using React with a Python/Django backend.

    I've suggested we just build our own database of lets say 8 wines, and maybe 30 entres and pair them up, but members of my team are suggesting it'd be easier with an API that we can just plug in. Thing is, I haven't just yet found one that had anything what we were looking for.

    A potential user story would be to select from a pulldown menu either an entree(beef burger, beef kebabs, chicken with rice, salad, etc) and a recommended wine will pop up (Pinot, merlot, etc). The opposite can also be true where one selects a wine (Pinot Noir) and a selection of entrees pop up as possible solutions.

    Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Kyder99
    [link] [comments]

    Craft CMS vs Grav

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 11:54 AM PDT

    I know both Craft and Grav have their fans but I'm curious if anyone has run into any specific problems or limitations of either, especially anyone who's bread and butter traditionally comes from Wordpress dev.

    I'm looking for a Wordpress alternative for smaller websites and plan to try both Craft and Grav out, although I am drawn to Grav not only for its database-free design but also because it's open source. I have looked at a bunch of other alternatives, but these two are now my focus and I'm not really planning to research alternatives to my alternatives!

    submitted by /u/wordfool
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to create functional static copy of a dynamic site other than saving pages in a browser and fixing all the links?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 08:06 AM PDT

    I've been asked by one of our customers who are retiring if they can get a functional static copy of their corner of our website. The site is .NET populated by SQL. I have access to TFS, all code and source, but darned if I can think of a way to do this other than through a web browser, saving pages, then going back in to edit all the links to relative URLs (ugh, don't even get me started on why they aren't already).

    Web scrape really won't do as they guy doesn't want the data, per se- really he wants more of a curio he can click through to show people what he did- and, the kicker is, these pages are going away soon because we are in the middle of moving thousands of pages, hundreds of mini-sites into a new framework. So it really will be the only remnant of this customer's work.

    I offered to make nice printouts, but he wants it to be clickable, like an old-school static site.

    Any thoughts would be most appreciated. New to me tech is fine. And maybe someone will say "X" and I will say "duh- of course!"

    Occam's razor- doesn't have to be completely automatic- simplest is fine if it involves grunt work, so be it.

    submitted by /u/dusty_groover
    [link] [comments]

    SquareSpace: Embedding a Calendar Help!

    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 11:47 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Let me just say I am not a web developer (the only coding I know is basic C#). I was put in charge to make a website for my school club and have decided to use SquareSpace so they can maintain it more easily. The website is almost done, but I want to embed our Google Calendar to the website but want to make it look nice. I basically want to make it to where they can view the upcoming events we add to the Google Calendar and be able to click onto the website's calendar to get the details of it. I tried to google some items but am still confused. As we are on a budget and only have the basic plan for SquareSpace we are limited to HTML, CSS, Markdown, and Plaintext. Are there any website that offer some nice looking HTML Calendars that allow me to use Google Calendar as the back end. Also sorry if any of my terms are off, like i said this is all new to me. Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/Indefinit3Official
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment