• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 30, 2018

    Which language is a better choice for iOS programming? Ask Programming

    Which language is a better choice for iOS programming? Ask Programming


    Which language is a better choice for iOS programming?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 04:00 PM PDT

    I'm a college student and already know a good deal of Java, but I'd like to explore developing for iOS and macOS. Is it better to start learning a language like Objective-C or C? Or should I begin learning Swift?

    submitted by /u/Karvia_IMO
    [link] [comments]

    Does a character set need to have code points? Or is it just a vanilla set of characters?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 08:51 PM PDT

    Passively collect my statistics from Modern Warfare 2 (a shooting game)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 10:37 AM PDT

    My general project idea is to "watch" the killfeed text and game clock to try to collect some general statistics about some gameplay in the classic, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

    I'd like to know at what time in the game any player is killed, and by whom. The game has a killfeed like this in the corner of the screen.

    Some info about the killfeed:

    • No background
    • Bottom left
    • Text is semitransparent
    • Kills hang around for around 3 seconds
    • New kills appear at the bottom and push old kills upwards
      • The text upward movement is actually animated but very quick
    • Format is <killer name text> <kill method icon> <killee name text>
      • Your team's text is white
      • The enemy's text is tan

    I'm looking for some common ways something like this would be done. Let me first explain my naive approach. During gameplay, the only thing I do is take frequent (10 per second) screenshots of the region of the screen that has the kill feed and game clock during gameplay (I've finished this part using the mss module with python). I save all these images for later processing. Later, what I'd like to do is use OCR to extract the game clock and who has killed who in that frame. The problem is, the area where the killfeed is, has a lot going on in the background. I have no experience with OCR, so I'm looking for some industry knowledge on how to extract text from really noisy images. From there, I think i can handle the merging of the data and data analytics.

    I have a really rough idea on how to give the OCR a helping hand. Given that the frequency of my screen sampling is high, I will have a lot of images where the killfeed hasnt changed at all but the background has. This would seem like a good opportunity to do something like take two images and keep only the common parts between them. But I don't really know how feasible that is or if there's a better approach.

    submitted by /u/SandSnip3r
    [link] [comments]

    Were the code/algorithms in 8 bit NES games complex enough to allow the game to "cheat"?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 06:51 PM PDT

    I am not a programmer at all, but I read that South Park's "Fractured But Whole" got more difficult as you played as a non-white character. Not understanding how this is possible, but it seems to me that if the program "sees" that the player is doing well and their character isn't white, then the difficultly increases.

    This in turn got me thinking about how I could have sworn that NES games "cheated" when I was a kid. That the jump I needed to land was just slightly too far away. Or when Guile would manage to beat you all the time, etc. In short, was the understanding of programming far enough along to have the game code recognize skill and increase difficulty?

    submitted by /u/l33tb3rt
    [link] [comments]

    New ui trend?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 06:44 PM PDT

    I have noticed how similar new looks of youtube, pinterest and reddit are to each other. What is this framework? Is this some new trend? Or my eyes are misleading me? :)

    submitted by /u/zilton7000
    [link] [comments]

    Issue with order stuff is running in javascript

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 06:07 PM PDT

    First off I'm new to javascript, I have done much more programming in Java than in Javascript. I was making a simple twitter bot in javascript with node.js when i cam across an issue. I had a function that was called and in this function were a few nested function being called though it appeared that they werent being called in the order i had them being called. I had a npm package object that was calling a function from that package, the parameters were a few other functions in my code (sorry if this is confusing) I then had another object method call also referencing different functions in my code. when i call this snippet of code (its all nested in a function) its executing the first object method, then the second object method, and then the results of one of the functions in the params of the first method that the second function relies on, at least according to my console output.

    if this isnt clear lemme know and ill send a simplified version of the code.

    as i am new to javascript im wondering, does javascript not run in the order written? or is this a different problem.

    submitted by /u/CSgo34adam
    [link] [comments]

    Creating animations from seismograms

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 10:45 AM PDT

    I was recently given the project of writing a script in python that will take a file filled with seismograms, up to something like 5000 of them, and turning these into an animation, something like this , but of course it would reflect the information in the seismograms. The process would be something like taking the amplitude of each seismogram, converting it to a color scale, and then putting this on a grid, so that one can see how the wave propagates. I have no idea how to start working on this, and any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/chunkeymonk13
    [link] [comments]

    Modify Google Sheets from Java

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 07:32 AM PDT

    Basically in the title. I'm not sure how exactly to do this. I was looking at this: https://developers.google.com/sheets/api/quickstart/java but got lost on step 2 where it says to enter commands into the directory, I have no idea what that means or where I would enter those commands. I also don't really know what it even means by working directory in the first place. Is that just the folder that the java files are in? So any help is appreciated. I'm not sure what to do.

    submitted by /u/CrispyCabot
    [link] [comments]

    How to do better pull requests reviews?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 12:50 PM PDT

    Hi there,

    My team has got four new programmers in the last few months - now there are six of us. We have a lot of development going on and there are a lot of pull requests (PR).

    Sometimes I feel like I do a lot of reviews - like almost a day / week! I try to write meaningful comments and mention things that are well done, or even add a smiley, especially when PR has a lot of stuff I didn't approve. Sometimes I sit next to the programmer who submitted PR and we go through the code.

    I was wondering may be there is something else I should know to do better reviews.

    How is it on your team? Do you have dedicated time to do code reviews? What do you consider a "good" pull request review?

    If you know any interesting articles/books/videos - please, share!

    submitted by /u/erizoo
    [link] [comments]

    Going to University, want to be prepared.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 04:43 AM PDT

    Going to University in this fall to study IT Systems Development. Some of the courses are: Primary course in programming, C#, Java, JavaScript, Oracle: SQL and PL/SQL, Python.

    Since I have most of my days free atm, I would like to start learning some of these, so I won't be a complete idiot there.

    Any recommendations on videos, online tutorials whatever? Where should I start?

    submitted by /u/Jolbakk
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth switching from Hostinger to Bluehost?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 04:54 AM PDT

    I am on Hostinger. They have 5 second page loads. I am considering moving to a faster hosting service, such as Blue-Host. How much time will it take off the load time? How much will that affect pagerank?

    https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/dYNJ87/openlitreview.com

    submitted by /u/JoeHobbit
    [link] [comments]

    What is the standard procedure that programmers take when they move to another career and start creating programs?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 06:16 AM PDT

    In my short thinking, It seems like they are compressing certain files (like macros, bashrc, vimrc) and moving them.

    submitted by /u/mindgitrwx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment