• Breaking News

    Friday, June 1, 2018

    Had an art jam this week at the office - here's an hour of one artist's week crunched into two minutes:

    Had an art jam this week at the office - here's an hour of one artist's week crunched into two minutes:


    Had an art jam this week at the office - here's an hour of one artist's week crunched into two minutes:

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 05:03 AM PDT

    You published a mobile game - then what?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 03:42 AM PDT

    Hi. I'd like to ask developers that has already passed through this frustrating process of marketing a new game on mobile how they managed to do it.

    I know it's not a really new topic, and maybe everything is already said, but it feels strange to me as, searching for articles on Google or discussions on Quora about this topic, all I found are useless banalities on non-sense suggestion.

    For example, everyone says open your own website, be active on socials... but if you just published a game, nobody knows you or your game, what's the point of opening a website if it would be as unknown as you game? The same about social, if you open instagram and take a look at hashtags like "gamedev" or "indiegames", the disconforting situation is: hundreds of developers trying spamming their game, no one caring about others (but many developers putting "like" to other's post just in order to get some visibility). The same situation you can find on facebook's developers groups, or on developers forum.

    It is also understandable: posting your game on a developer's community can be useful to get some honest opinion from people who works in the field, but it is not a way to reach audience for your product.

    So, I think opening a website or a social network page can be good if you already reached a good audience and you want them to keep following your new products, but it's not very useful for getting started.

    Another topic they always talk about is ASO. It is indeed important, but I still don't understand how much. While making a nice-looking icon, interesting screenshots and a video is indeed essential, it does not help you making people discover your game. And all this words about keyword optimization seems like non-sense to me: as you have a game to publish, you have to write in the description a good abstract of what your game is, you can't just put words that could be searched in order to be found! Plus, even for not very strong keyword, you need to already have some downloads in order to be found. But maybe about this last topic I'm being superficial and I'm understimating its importance.

    Anyway, at the point I am, it seems to me there not much I can do to promote my game without paying for advertising (and I don't think it's worth it), but when I see on the play store weird apps or lame clones with hundred of thounsands of downloads, I think I'm missing something relly important out there!

    submitted by /u/Loner_Cat
    [link] [comments]

    Blender Character Rig Tutorial

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 03:51 AM PDT

    Rights for using console button layouts in a PC game.

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 02:34 AM PDT

    Hello, I have a question regarding button layout options.
    I would like to give people the option to change their layout to any controller they might be using.
    They would be able to select a scheme to their liking in the menu.
    I can't really find anything about how legal it is to show a likeness however.
    I have seen games on Steam that automatically switch between Xbox and PS button layouts when detecting either controller so I'm sure there are some possibilities here.
    So far I have made PS4, Xbox One, SNES, Dreamcast and Gamecube layouts.
    Is there no problem here or is it better to abandon the idea and just go for a generic layout that only kind of resembles a controller?

    https://i.redd.it/2gfsyx29zc111.png

    submitted by /u/HaruharaRoshinu
    [link] [comments]

    You Will NEVER be Ready to Start Developing Games (Seriously)

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 09:27 AM PDT

    Fellow game programmers: Do you see yourselves as "creative types" or "engineers"?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 09:20 AM PDT

    I personally see myself more as an engineer.

    I understand that the problem-solving involved in game programming is inherently creative,but my job just feels so much more technical than creative in a traditional sense.This maybe because I focus more on the shader/graphics side of things.

    submitted by /u/LocalWorldEyeClipScr
    [link] [comments]

    Testing how our props look like under various lightings

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 08:24 AM PDT

    Do 3D modelers/artists adjust their rate to fit the amount you buy?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 11:49 AM PDT

    So I want to start off by saying I'm not asking whether artists or 3D modelers will work for free or at a drastically reduced price but is it an industry norm to lower rates based off order amount? Like would a character artists who charges $50 an hour lower it to $45-$47 if you can promise them steady work/hours by buying multiple characters from them?

    Again I'm not trying to come off as cheap or insulting I just geniunly want to know is it an indistry norm?

    submitted by /u/myusernamesuckslol
    [link] [comments]

    Can my special education student work in game design?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 09:18 AM PDT

    I am the high school teacher of a student who wants to be a video game designer, but he has a learning disability--his reading and math are at the 1st to 3rd grade level. He has shown the ability to improve, but very slowly. His social skills are alright and he has a strong work ethic. With the right support and mentorship, is it conceivable for him to have a career as a video game designer? What are the greatest barriers he would face?

    He would likely want to focus on creating art for games.

    submitted by /u/fuzzeslecrdf
    [link] [comments]

    Fraction of Total Videogame Sales by Genre [OC]

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 08:00 AM PDT

    Gamasutra - The great video game exodus

    Posted: 31 May 2018 06:16 PM PDT

    Creating Global Illumination using the case of Tom Clancy's The Division

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 03:08 AM PDT

    Small poll suggests over 60% of the players prefer increasing the MSRP of games and totally remove lootboxes, over keeping the MSRP of games and add lootboxes into the game at any point in time

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 11:03 AM PDT

    A small poll result shows, out of 384 voters, over 60% of the voters prefer:

    • Increase MSRP of games
    • Do not add lootboxes into games at any point in time (pre-release, alpha, post launch, expansions, etc.)

    Over 30% of the voters who prefer:

    • Keep MSRP of games low
    • Add lootboxes into the game at any point in time, since lootboxes are "optional" for purchases.

    With the current trend in the video gaming industry moving away from "lootboxes" and "predatory compulsion loop" practices, I feel such a poll (even though it has a small sample size) is a good indicator to let publishers and self-publishing developers know about.

    It's purely an indicator, but it's not a "recommended" factor. It is only missing a business proposition with some weights to convince some people about it.

    What do you think?

    Poll Source

    submitted by /u/asperatology
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice for someone trying to get into gamdev?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 06:18 AM PDT

    Hello! I am a maths major, starting September I will be in my final year, with a lot of experience in physics and mathematical modelling (due to research/work/projects in C++, Python and Matlab) and recently I got my first gaming PC (dunno what took so damn long!) so I started toying with UE4, CryEngine and Unity to get a feel for it.

    That is when I realised I want to become a gamedev but I don't know where to begin - I'm not good at drawing and don't care much for making 3D models - more interested in level design, story, gameplay and working with the game engines themselves - is there any advice on how to start building a portfolio? Is there a need for one? More importantly realistically is it possible for me to get into this industry as I have little to no experience?

    For a portfolio - Do you think it would be worth starting to make a really simple game engine using C++? Or focus on level design and the game itself?

    I have never done any work on games before as I never realised this was something I could ever potentially do as a career, even though I am 21 and have been playing video games since I was a wee lad.

    Thank you so much in advance to whomever wants to chip in :)

    submitted by /u/harfstoner
    [link] [comments]

    Evolution Studios Reborn: The Making of Onrush! Building a Multi-Platform Engine From The Ground Up! (37:51)

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 09:53 AM PDT

    Need help creating a "build" guide.

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 08:30 AM PDT

    Creating a "build" guide for the races and classes of a fictional world for a game in development. 11 races, 13 classes, 2 factions. I'm sure that's 286 possibile combinations since the factions also provide specific character benefits.

    Here's the rather vague instructions.

    "With the build guide players should be able to learn more about their character and better understand the other characters they will encounter in game."

    The question.. How much info is too much? What are the general points you consider when explaining what makes each class unique? Is there a limit when creating a guide?

    Trying to make it as professional and still useful to tge player as possible. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/TheOracleIsYou
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback Friday #291 - Creative Works

    Posted: 31 May 2018 08:06 PM PDT

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #291

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    Testing services: Roast My Game (Web and Computer Games, feedback from developers and players)

    iBetaTest (iOS)

    and Indie Insights (livestream feedback)

    Promotional services: Alpha Beta Gamer (All platforms)

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Am I allowed to put recreations of well known game environments in my portfolio on my website (own company)?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 07:56 AM PDT

    My website will be my own company's website, with a tab that leads to my show reel / portfolio. (the company is my own one man company). I am planning on recreating some environments of some well known games to showcase my skills. But because this will be in my portfolio, doesn't this mean its for commercial purposes and is against the rules?

    submitted by /u/DavoMyan
    [link] [comments]

    How are you guys using Ads in your mobile games since GDPR?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 09:19 AM PDT

    I'm a beginner, and I'm about to finish my first (simple) game and wanted to publish it on Google Play. But, since GDPR is here, I don't know what to do to use Ads that comply with it. I've heard that Google will release an updated version of the AdMob plugin for Unity, but I have no idea when they will do that.

    submitted by /u/Sombernaut
    [link] [comments]

    Share your thoughts on user registration, sign-up and login systems in mobile games!

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 09:08 AM PDT

    Handheld device options for TIC-80 / PICO-8 / similar?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 08:36 AM PDT

    TIC-80 is wicked for making 8-bit style games that compile for web/native/android but can't find any gameboy style device that can play them.

    Supposedly the Pocket CHIP could (slowly) but they're discontinued.

    Perhaps PICO-8 is a better way to go, but there don't seem to be many viable small devices for that either, nor can it compile to web (except perhaps an Electron app).

    There's also Pokitto which looks promising but that's very much a c++ direct to hardware kinda situation.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/dragonzoom
    [link] [comments]

    When Wardens Fall AMA - Live Stream Today!

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 07:44 AM PDT

    Live stream today @ 2pm EST / 11am PST. Come join us https://www.twitch.tv/whenwardensfall

    If you have any questions you really want answered, write them here.

    And if you don't know who we are here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyFDy1G-oxo

    submitted by /u/whenwardensfall
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a video game composer that would love to contribute to a project.

    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 07:29 AM PDT

    I've been writing/studying music for about 17 years. I have experience in the development and creation of countless authentic electronic compositions and many with live instrumentation.

    Here are a few of my songs that I've uploaded to soundcloud:

    https://soundcloud.com/slowbydesign

    I don't have chiptune examples, but would be happy to make some chiptune stuff.

    I'd probably do most stuff for free.

    Message me on here or on soundcloud.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/YeahMarkYeah
    [link] [comments]

    Have any advice on how to stay motivated?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 08:50 PM PDT

    Hey folks. I'm an industry vet of 10 years. Worked on 7 shipped titles, but have primarily been working in the MMO sphere as a Systems Designer (my current title).

    I've been kicking around an RTS idea for a couple years (paper design), and recently I started really trying to build it. I selected Unreal Engine 4, and I've been doing tutorials/experimentation with it.

    I tend to work 9-10 hour days, and at the end of the day I find myself kinda spent creatively. I try to make a habit of working on the game every night - but some nights I just don't have it in me to go at it. Between my job as a Systems Designer and my ambition to make the game I've always dreamed about, I find myself on the fringes of burning out. I'm the sole income for my family, so I can't let my workmanship suffer at the studio where I work - which naturally means I have to draw down on my passion project.

    Anybody have any advice on how to stay motivated? I try to make healthy habits by doing some amount of development on my personal project (no matter how small), but I worry about burning myself out to try and make my project a reality, and thus I get kinda scared to really go at it at the fervor I know I am capable of.

    Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/A_Sickly_Giraffe
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment