• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 13, 2018

    Anybody wanna learn python with me? learn programming

    Anybody wanna learn python with me? learn programming


    Anybody wanna learn python with me?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 12:42 PM PDT

    I'm a beginner programmer, I keep getting demotivated and giving up. Having some like-minded people who do things with you can help with motivation. If anyone is interested, I could make a discord server and we could work through it and help each other.

    This is the course I'm looking at (it's by MIT, and is completely free, its awesome so far, but hard):

    https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:MITx+6.00.1x+2T2017_2/course/

    edit: I will create a discord server tomorrow, and pm everybody (who pm'ed me or commented) the link. I will post it here once I created it as well. Good to see a lot of motivated people.

    submitted by /u/PersistantBlade
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any more modern books like 'The Psychology of Computer Programming' (1971)?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 03:12 PM PDT

    Fre dev packs, github and microsoft dev essentials: 3 free months of pluralsight, courses, domains, and more!

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:12 AM PDT

    Everyone has heard of the Github's student pack however this may help some new learners. Although it only works with student emails(last time I tried anyways). The visual studio dev essentials were free without the address so 3 months of pluralsight were awesome!

    Best of luck to new devs, keep on grinding and you'll see those results (:

    Links:

    Github: https://education.github.com/pack

    Visual Studio Dev Essentials: https://www.visualstudio.com/dev-essentials/

    submitted by /u/cookie2940
    [link] [comments]

    How do I generate random letters in CMD like in the movies?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 05:25 AM PDT

    I don't know which programming subreddit to ask this in and this one was the closest to fitting subreddit I could find

    You know in the movies there are scenes where random giberrish generates and turns into letters really quickly, going to the next line automatically?

    I want to do that on CMD, I recall seeing a solution last time on r/programmerhumor comments but unfortunately I didn't save the comment.

    Please help me out :c p.s. If the post doesn't fit here and must be removed, please do so and I will go on to cry in a corner for my stupid mistakes

    submitted by /u/Garlicvideos
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find some good visual representations of how the backend works?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 04:00 PM PDT

    I'm currently following a tutorial for a beginner Rails app and I feel lost in my understanding. I can get everything to work fine but that's just because I'm copying the code I'm told to write. The tutorial obviously explains things but I think I need an ELI5 explanation.

    As well, I feel like I'm lacking in a visual understanding of the backend and particularly the MVC structure. I understand how the structure operates but when I'm just looking at lines of code it's hard to wrap my head around the relation between the different components.

    If anyone has any good beginner resources I'd love to check them out.

    submitted by /u/okdenok
    [link] [comments]

    Will I ever be able to become a programmer?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 05:03 AM PDT

    More than a year ago I started to learn JavaScript, and then jumpet into Python. Since then I've managed to read few books about Python programming, but because I am a main career for my 2yo twins and I work full time job, I have been physically coding mainly on my phone, possibly few hours altogether... I have read one of the recent topics here, about bootcamps, and there was a statement that if you don't like puzzle games, sudoku-like stuff, etc., you will only waste the time trying to learn programming. The thing is that I have never liked any games like chess, sudoku, brain teasers, you name it. But I love computers, I love the miracle of the whole internet related stuff. I like coding in Python, just don't have time to develop properly, so I keep on reading books on my phone before I go to sleep. Day by day.

    Is there a big or small chance for me to be a programmer, even if I never liked logical/abstract games?

    submitted by /u/user9326
    [link] [comments]

    Totally new. Idea for first project-- is python the way to go?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 06:23 AM PDT

    So I recently got a job as a technical writer/future help desk/junior networking engineer entry level catch-all for a contractor.

    I've already found a task that's extremely tedious that I'd like to automate. We use a lot of acronyms, and one thing I have to do is an acronym scrub. Basically I go through the document, make sure the acronym is defined upon first use, make sure it's defined again in the appendix, and then remove any unused acronyms from the appendix that aren't relevant to the current document.

    This, from my limited understanding, seems like the kind of task people automate to make their lives easier. Is it feasible, and if so is Python a decent option to use language wise?

    submitted by /u/defenestratious
    [link] [comments]

    An opensource project for beginner or intermediate learners to contribute to or learn from

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 10:52 AM PDT

    This is an opensource project built using Java. It will be suitable for beginner and intermediate users to contribute to or learn from.

    submitted by /u/BBloggsbott
    [link] [comments]

    Free software for those who can code!

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 02:33 AM PDT

    Hey folks,

    Hope you're all good. I found the Pusher Developer Package – a selection of software from 14 companies. It's similar to the GitHub Student Dev Pack.

    Companies in the package:

    Algolia, Auth0, Bandwidth, ButterCMS, Chargebee, CodeShip, DataDog, DigitalOcean, Instabug, MongoDB, Mux, Nexmo, Pusher & SendGrid.

    To redeem your package, head to this link, auth with GitHub and get your offers.

    submitted by /u/n0smig
    [link] [comments]

    How do you structure your coding projects?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 07:45 AM PDT

    How do you structure your projects (be it code or other personal projects) in your filesystem?

    I'm currently structuring my code something like this, starting in my home directory:

    . └── src ├── python │ ├── my_cool_project │ ├── other │ │ └── some_cool_project_thats_not_mine │ └── play │ └── generator_example.py └── rust ├── other └── play └── errorchain_play

    • Each personal project written in language $LANG is stored in ~/src/$LANG.

    • If it's not really a serious project but just me playing around with some random library/language feature, they're put into ~/src/$LANG/play/, either as random files or folders (depending on language).

    • Projects that aren't mine (e.g. that I've checked out from github to use as a reference or that I have forked to make a quick fix) are put in ~/src/$LANG/other.

    I find that it works fairly well, but it does break down occasionally:

    • What if you're making a backend in one language, and the frontend in another?
    • What if you're writing something technical that has a git repo, but isn't explicitly written in some language?
    • What if you want to have e.g. all code from a certain employer (I use the same scheme on my company laptop for simplicity's sake) in one folder, where does it go? ~/src/$LANG/other/$EMPLOYER/$NAME, or perhaps just ~/$EMPLOYER/$PROJNAME? Currently most of my stuff is stored in ~/git/$EMPLOYER/$PROJNAME since I usually maintain one or more git repos containing info about my current/previous employers, but it does confuse me at times.

    (By the way, is there really no good... hacker subreddit for discussions of this type of stuff? As in, a self-friendly discussion place for programming. /r/programming and /r/coding is all about links, and e.g. /r/linux is overly narrowing and not directly to-the-point).

    submitted by /u/Ran4
    [link] [comments]

    Should I Create My Own Portfolio Website?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 06:51 AM PDT

    I'm a 2nd year software engineering student and i am beginning to look for internships/work placement in software engineering. Recently i have found out that a lot of people looking for work or already in industry have portfolio websites to showcase their work and share more about themselves. I have some basic HTML experience (I know i will need more than that) but I am interested in making my own website. My question is, is it worth it? Is it practical? Or should i just use squarespace or some other service. Also would it be practical to host it on my home server?

    I like the idea of making it myself as my goal is to become a full stack developer and i think it would be another way of showcasing my skill.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Web_Hoon
    [link] [comments]

    [OC] Learn programming with Nim (a beginners tutorial)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 06:18 AM PDT

    After a (too) long time working on it, it is the time to present you::

    Nim beginners tutorial

    While Nim is usually interesting to the Python crowd who want "faster Python" while keeping the code readable (see my post on comparison between Python, Numpy and Nim), in my opinion Nim could be used as a first programming language too - and this is why I've made this tutorial.

    If you have any questions, comments, or advice how to make this better - let me know.

    submitted by /u/miran1
    [link] [comments]

    I want to become a programmer

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 12:06 PM PDT

    I am currently 25 years old and am working full time. I have been reading up on programming, watching tutorials, etc. It really interests me and would like to take the next steps as to actually writing code. I see that there are different languages, which discourages me a little because I really don't know what the right path is or where to even start. Would love some advice, as well as some info from users who taught themselves and what they are doing with programming now

    submitted by /u/njjoe92
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a common question in a phone screen?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:44 PM PDT

    So, I had an initial phone screen with a company today that works in PHP and JavaScript. I know Laravel pretty well but am generally weak with PHP (Ruby is my main language). The interviewer gave me a few business cases they might run into with their company. I had to "architect" a solution to these, in words. No code - I just had to explain it.

    The first was how to make about 100 API calls to the database in PHP instantaneously, instead of looping through one by one. I had no idea.

    He went onto a JavaScript question instead. That one asked how I'd get all the text in a webpage in order to translate it. Meta tags and all. Every thing. I kept going to the same answer but it was wrong.

    Honestly, I don't really care about the answers - I'm just wondering if someone like me with a little under a experience in coding in general (I went through a bootcamp), and with about three months' Laravel experience, and 8 months of Ruby/JS experience - should I know how to answer this? Basically, am I just a shitty programmer, or are those interview questions aimed for someone with more experience?

    submitted by /u/majesty86
    [link] [comments]

    Is the book “Head First JavaScript Programming: A Brain-Friendly Guide” worth it’s price if I’m a high school beginner with only an interest in coding?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:41 PM PDT

    Snippet - My first presentable web app!

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 06:36 AM PDT

    Hey everybody! I've been reading this sub for a few months while teaching myself to code. I'm mostly using FreeCodeCamp and googling around to learn new things.

    My current job is mostly data entry, with some phone calls mixed in, so I have to be here for 8 hours but finish my work in 2-3 hours most days. As a result, I'm able to spend the majority of my day learning to code.

    I decided to make a simple app that will help me with speeding up my data entry work, and also with coding. It lets you save blocks of text that you use often into buttons. When you click the button, it saves the text to your clipboard for pasting wherever you want. Write 400 for loops a day? Snippet!

    This app uses localStorage in your browser to save the Snippets that you've entered previously, so they'll still be there when you come back tomorrow.

    I'm sure I just reinvented the wheel here, but this is all original code and I made it without looking for a similar project. Written all in HTML, CSS, and vanilla JS. Please give it a look, and let me know if you find any more bugs (I've cleaned up a lot already). Also, if you have ideas about what additional functionality this needs, I'm all ears. Thanks!

    https://www.deremije.com/snippet/

    submitted by /u/jeremydamon
    [link] [comments]

    I need to change just one value depending on status of a bool. The value is used in an if-else-statement. How can I change it so I don't have to write the if-else twice? (C#)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:32 PM PDT

    I currently have

    if((m[0+m_offset * s] - se) >1){ do something } else if{(se - m[0+m_offset * s]) > 1){ do something else } else {do something else again} 

    Both 0s in the if-statement should change to a 1 if a certain bool is true. I currently solved it by duplicating the above code so it looks like

    if(bool){ if((m[1+m_offset * s] - se) >1){ do something } else if{(se - m[1+m_offset * s]) > 1){ do something else } else {do something else again} } else { if((m[0+m_offset * s] - se) >1){ do something } else if{(se - m[0+m_offset * s]) > 1){ do something else } else {do something else again} } 

    I feel like there must be a nicer way to write this so I don't have to duplicate the if-statements. How could I do that? Thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/Malusch
    [link] [comments]

    Storing Data Online

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:27 PM PDT

    Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding storing files online programmatically, for example I am working on a project (desktop, offline) where the user can select files on the PC and then it will drop those files in google drive and then when another person uses that program on a different computer they can request to download those files if someone can maybe link me to a video with a similar concept I would really appreciate it.

    I'm coding in Java and using Eclipse as the IDE if that helps.

    submitted by /u/_RTS
    [link] [comments]

    [HTML/CSS] How can I setup responsive images to accomodate IE?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:11 PM PDT

    Im using srcset at the moment and everything works fine across resolutions and devices for all browsers except IE.

    I was wondering if there is a small tweak i can use to allow functional responsiveness across all browsers

    Code below

    https://liveweave.com/OoAheQ

    submitted by /u/Westrivers
    [link] [comments]

    Discord code den proposition

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:01 PM PDT

    Hello I am a student who has studied industrial technology for three years of which I have chosen every course which offered programming since I need structure in order to get things done. However I have just finished that part of school and have taken a sabbatical year. Without school I find myself without structure in coding and am therefor here with a proposition: A coding den.

    Proposition This code den would offer challenges that span a couple weeks of time in which a specified program would be created by every participant. I'll list a few ideas for challenges at the end of this post.

    The coding den would be located on Discord where we can help out with the next ideas for challenges and help each other with solutions and such.

    Implementation If there is interest I could configure a Discord server for this during the weekend and then create a schedule for the first few challenges. I would probably need help choosing the length for which the challenges would run and more ideas once the server is up.

    The server would be the following: https://discord.gg/eaYfHFz. (The server is just a shell as of now but I figured that the interested would be less likely to forget if they get a ping once the challenges are ready to start.)

    Challenge Ideas These ideas are mainly born out of the idea for this code den and the features that I would have wanted for a community like this one.

    1. Create a table in a database which a user can fill information with and an interface from which a user can then create different diagrams that are based on the table.

    2. A blog type website that features parallax scrolling. Each participant could choose an own niche for this blog.

    3. Programming of a chatbot. Amazon Lex could be used as help. This chatbot would be required to be able to atleast reply with greetings suited for the time of day, provide simple weather information, hold a nickname for each user (?) and perhaps even provide information about the table in #1. This bot would be integrated with a chat service like Messenger, Stack or Discord.

    4. Implementation of a calendar (this would require an interface and a database of some sort). This could also be tied back to the chatbot.

    5. Discord bot ranking bot that could put and pull info from a table. This could be implemented into the code den in order to give users different roled depending on the number of challenges they have participated in and failed or completed. This would be self reported by the users.

    Et cetera...

    submitted by /u/ShitDogg
    [link] [comments]

    New to setting up a login functionality

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:00 PM PDT

    Hi guys, been a self-taught lurker on this sub for 3 months just wanted to say thanks for all the daily informative posts! I only just started developing full stack applications on the web after having deployed my first static app on Nginx(Hurray!)

    I have a few questions that I can't seem to find an answer to on SO or google that I hope you guys can help with.

    1) Is there a tutorial someone can point me to where they teach you how to implement a back-end with login functionality for customers as well as a booking system them?

    2) Would one have to create a completely new Nginx droplet on DigitalOcean (with bigger space) and stick a database like Mongo or SQL on it?

    3) How then would I be able to link my website login to the database in question?

    Sorry for the newb questions! I understand each question begs a multi-layered and long-as-hell answer but I am feeling quite stuck with this. I really want to move on from making stuff like Colt Steele's Patapap Clone!

    submitted by /u/khairulslt
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on evaluating if an associate’s degree program has current and relevant material

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 03:25 PM PDT

    I am considering joining a two-year associate's degree program at my local community college, and I was advised by another user on this sub to assess if this program is teaching the most up-to-date practices and in-demand languages. The program in question is a full-stack developer course with a primary focus in becoming a Java developer. The course also covers HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, SQL, and PHP among other topics like the development cycle and website design.

    How do I go about evaluating if their material is current and marketable before starting the program? Who/what resources should I consult? And perhaps a silly question, but is Java still a staple language in the job market? Seems like Java full-stack devs are still in demand, but I'm curious to hear current devs' opinions on that.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/TruePrinceOfWales
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie in Python trying html scraping; need help

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 08:52 AM PDT

    Howdy!

    Very new to learning how to code, my current project is trying to figure out how HTML scraping works in Python. Im using BeautifulSoup to help.

    What Im scraping: A leaderboard for a game I play that you can see here

    What Im trying to get: All the data in the table, exported as a csv. Basically translating everything in the table (Username, rank, points, etc.) to a spreadsheet that I can use to track various data.

    My problem: I've not gotten to the exporting as a csv part yet, Im still trying to get my program to register the data correctly. I've parsed the correct sections, and if I use a simple for loop for one of the columns (IE username) I can print all of the usernames in the leaderboard. I can use multiple for loops for the other sections as well, but I feel like there ought to be a more efficient way to do it. I can provide my code if necessary.

    Google's helped thus far but Im kind of running into a wall where I cant seem to find the specific type of problem Im having, so here I am.

    Also, while I havent quite gotten there, will the for loop outputs be able to translate into a table? I've never made a table/exported a csv spreadsheet in python before either so if you have any tips there I could use them (though I dont want ya to do the work for me ;] )

    submitted by /u/thesharp0ne
    [link] [comments]

    Figuring out if I should start a coding career

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 10:34 PM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    I'm currently 35 years old with no programming background. I'm interested in front end development or iOS development.

    I need to develop some skills to make sure I can make money in the future from my laptop. I'm just not sure if it's worth it spending a lot of time learning either of these things with so much being outsourced to cheap labor countries and with AI potentially doing these kinda jobs.

    Also not sure if it's better to focus on front end development or iOS development. I like both and try to figure out which ones has a more solid future.

    Some advice / insight would be massively appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Jack

    submitted by /u/codingjack
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment