• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 2, 2018

    VSCode - Material Theme - The most epic theme. v2 web developers

    VSCode - Material Theme - The most epic theme. v2 web developers


    VSCode - Material Theme - The most epic theme. v2

    Posted: 02 May 2018 09:55 AM PDT

    While applying for an entry level developer job, the form wouldn't let me submit my resume without entering the required dates of my degree. I don't have a degree, so I opened up dev tools, removed the 'required' keyword from the HTML form tags, and submitted my resume

    Posted: 01 May 2018 06:12 PM PDT

    So... do you guys think that they're going to be annoyed with me, or?

    UPDATE: I doubt I'll be getting any positive responses, everybody. The company is Revature - their business model is built around the requirement that you're a graduate. The job search continues.

    submitted by /u/skramzy
    [link] [comments]

    We made this CSS Grid generator for building layouts. You can set columns, rows and gaps, and create named grid-areas. IE10+ support is included!

    Posted: 02 May 2018 09:53 AM PDT

    Starting Google Maps Platform arrives with pay-as-you-go billing, free support, and Cloud requirement starting June 11

    Posted: 02 May 2018 01:30 PM PDT

    Proximity Feedback with Progressive Hover Effects

    Posted: 02 May 2018 02:32 PM PDT

    Latest Humble Bundle includes a 6 month subscription to Egghead.io for $20...

    Posted: 02 May 2018 01:56 PM PDT

    Google Maps API to become Paid Service

    Posted: 02 May 2018 02:50 PM PDT

    Simple and free REST API Mocker for you guys! (my first fullstack app ever)

    Posted: 02 May 2018 10:41 AM PDT

    First client...panicking

    Posted: 02 May 2018 12:40 PM PDT

    Think I may have bit off more than I can chew for my first freelance job. Pretty much they want a forum. In not worried about the front end at all, but the back end has me worried. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/thetrebel
    [link] [comments]

    What are "good coding practices?"

    Posted: 02 May 2018 02:16 PM PDT

    I always see people commenting and stating how important it is to have good coding practices, but I rarely see those comments elaborate further on what they consider good coding habits. Could someone please explain to me what good coding habits are so that I can make sure I'm doing them?

    external resources are welcome!

    submitted by /u/Captain_Braveheart
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Web Development? These Skills Will Make You Stand Out

    Posted: 02 May 2018 05:45 AM PDT

    Are these realistic interview questions ? I would nail this interview, but would fail at whiteboarding algorithms or a 90minute speedrun of a CRUD app in React

    Posted: 02 May 2018 10:24 AM PDT

    i'm soo lost.. I have material design icons that just won't load, but the exact same icons load perfectly on 5 or 6 other pages. been looking for weeks and i can't find any reason

    Posted: 02 May 2018 12:08 PM PDT

    A handful of the icons load fine, but the others wont on that one menu. The page is in a wordpress site.

    The icons are hosted locally and if i delete or rename their containing folder i see white squares where they should be.. but ONLY on the ones which were appearing correctly the others are completely blank, so even when no icons are found at all, there is still a difference.

    Yet i know the icons are all there as the exact same file and icons are called on these pages using the same code:

    Here's the code:

    <nav> <div class="nav-wrapper"> <a class="brand-logo hide-on-med-and-down left" href="http://focallocal.org">Focallocal</a> <ul class="hide-on-small-and-down left"> <li class="text-icon"> <a class="dropdown-button" href="http://about.focallocal.org" data-activates="nav-about" title="About Us"> <i class="mdi-action-info"></i> <span>About Us</span> </a> </li> <li class="text-icon"> <a href="http:&#x2F;&#x2F;news.focallocal.org&#x2F;" title="Happy News"> <i class="mdi-device-brightness-high"></i> <span>Happy News</span> </a> </li> <li class="text-icon"> <a href="http:&#x2F;&#x2F;action.focallocal.org&#x2F;" title="Action"> <i class="mdi-action-get-app"></i> <span>Action Centre</span> </a> </li> <li class="text-icon"> <a href="http://activities.focallocal.org" title="Activities"> <i class="mdi-maps-directions-walk"></i> <span>Activities</span> </a> </li> <li class="text-icon"> <a href="http:&#x2F;&#x2F;gather.focallocal.org&#x2F;" title="Gather"> <i class="mdi-image-flare"></i> <span>&nbsp;Gather&nbsp;</span> </a> </li> <li class="text-icon"> <a href="http:&#x2F;&#x2F;shop.focallocal.org&#x2F;" title="Shop"> <i class="mdi-action-shop-two"></i> <span>&nbsp;Shop</span> </a> </li> <li class="text-icon"> <a class="dropdown-button" href="#" data-activates="nav-projects" title="Projects"> <i class="mdi-action-info"></i> <span>Projects</span> </a> </li> </ul> <ul class="right"> <li class="text-icon"> <a href="http://discuss.focallocal.org" target="_blank" title="Chat"> <i class="mdi-communication-dialpad"></i> <span>Discuss</span> </a> </li> <li class="text-icon"> <a href="https://trello.com/invite/b/SwMdGGcX/dbf6c3cebca7e2214ac0df3a57b1881f/build-the-movement" target="_blank" title="Missions"> <i class="mdi-content-create"></i> <span>Missions</span> </a> </li> <li class="text-icon"> <a href="#" title="coming soon"> <i class="mdi-action-perm-media"></i> <span>Profile</span> </a> </li> </ul> <ul id="user-dropdown" class="dropdown-content"> <li><a href="http://news.focallocal.org/sign-in">Log in</a></li> <li><a href="http://news.focallocal.org/sign-up">Register</a></li> </ul> <a class="button-collapse" href="#" data-activates="nav-mobile"><i class="mdi-navigation-menu"> </i></a> </div> </nav> 

    and

    <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/materialize/0.98.0/css/materialize.min.css"> <script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.2.0.min.js"></script> <script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/materialize/0.98.0/js/materialize.min.js"></script> 

    i'm not asking out of laziness, i must have spent around 30hrs on this problem.

    oh, while i'm here - i found the external materialize stylesheet causes some issues in wordpress. i've tried copy/pasting it and linking to a locally hosted and edited one, but it seems to ignore that for some reason i haven't been able to work out yet. any ideas why it might do that?

    submitted by /u/roamingandy
    [link] [comments]

    Ionic worthwhile (Now - 2020 ?)

    Posted: 02 May 2018 12:05 PM PDT

    Company I intern at is moving from native to hybrid with Ionic. I'm wondering if Ionic will be worthwhile in the next couple years or if I should learn MERN stack instead (React)?

     

    I'm aware they are for different purposes but purely looking from a JOB PROSPECT angle. When I look on job boards there are almost NO jobs for ionic (or react native) but a decent amount for Angular, and even way more for React.

     

    If I did end up learning Ionic, how difficult would it be to transition into a React based position?

    submitted by /u/DJPharaohCHS
    [link] [comments]

    Safari coordinate for mouse click events

    Posted: 02 May 2018 03:36 PM PDT

    I am currently implementing drag & drop feature, and I have successfully made it work on Chrome, but not on Safari. Currently for Chrome, I am using pageX and pageY for absolute coordinates of the page. I can't seem to find equivalent values in Safari. Any help?

    submitted by /u/some_coreano
    [link] [comments]

    Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) Chrome/Firefox newTab extension

    Posted: 02 May 2018 11:43 AM PDT

    I made a chrome extension that shows the APOD on your new tab page and wanted to show it off. I have been working on it for a little over a year and recently implemented webpack builds (because why not?).

    The project is somewhat simple but it has been a great sandbox side project to learn about configuring webpack/babel as well as navigating the Chrome and Firefox extensions stores. I very recently got the Firefox version working since they have a more stringent review process, which made the extension better overall (code wise).

    I'm very open to suggestions, although I'm doing my best to keep the interface very simple, since it's a very simple concept.

    Firefox:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/apod-by-the-trav/

    Chrome:

    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/apod-by-the-trav/aedpginojmhafbemcoelnppdcmlfjcdj

    submitted by /u/gimmeslack12
    [link] [comments]

    Using a js framework like Polymer in an existing Java based webapp

    Posted: 02 May 2018 07:55 AM PDT

    I hope this isn't a "beginner" question and if it is my apologies. I've been given the responsibility of maintaining and improving an existing Java webapp at work. It uses raw servlets + JSP extensively and is deployed via Tomcat. Javscript is minimally used, mainly for ajax. As you can imagine the screens look pretty abysmal and are not uniform from page to page. I am looking to modernize the view.

    So i want to use Polymer, mostly to take advantage of existing web components like the paper library. My challenge is, how do I integrate into the project I have? Many of the tutorials online have me serve via polymer serve, is this necessary? Can I use polymer in java webapp? I am very unfamiliar to the conventions of polymer and how it is typically used in existing projects, any guidance is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Googles_Janitor
    [link] [comments]

    JS books to help me get my skills to the next level?

    Posted: 02 May 2018 07:38 AM PDT

    Hey r/webdev, I am currently in that weird middle place between junior and intermediate dev. I want to pick up a book or two to keep the learning going so I can keep my skills going forward. Does anyone any book recommendations that would help me get my skills to the intermediate JS developer level?

    I'm intentionally keeping this question broad- would like to hear as many varied opinions as possible.

    If there is a better sub to post this in, please let me know!

    PS- also considering picking up Golang. Any recommendations there would be appreciated too!

    submitted by /u/wariofan1
    [link] [comments]

    PLEASE HELP: Estimating time on freelance project

    Posted: 02 May 2018 02:54 PM PDT

    I'm new to freelancing (newish to web dev), so I need serious help with scoping this project for one of my first clients (I've already got price/rate nailed down, just not timeframe):

    • integrating several pre-made HTML re-skins and additional pages into an existing Meteor.js app (with additional assets: CSS, images, etc.).
    • replacing existing user auth system with AWS Cognito integration (thankfully, there are no existing users to migrate).

    Context: I know I can get the job done, I'm just at a total loss as to how long it will take. I'm somewhat familiar with the codebase from a much smaller project I did, I've never used AWS Cognito, and I'm not too comfortable with Meteor.js (I'm good with React and Node, so most of it's simple enough but there is a good chunk of Meteor stuff that I don't understand / haven't worked with yet).

    Any specific advice would be really helpful! I should probably have a contract for him by Friday.

    EDIT: Or at least... what timeframe sounds reasonable?

    submitted by /u/awkwardSaul
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of a career switch to web development

    Posted: 02 May 2018 02:45 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I'm new to this sub so pls don't shoot. I've decided to become a full stack developer and I'm currently doing a course on Udemy. I've graduated as a digital marketer but I regret my choice of education after working full time for half a year. I have a basic programming background and my long-term goal is becoming a blockchain developer. Any advice for me? What courses do I take after the udemy one? What are the best steps for me to get a job after learning HTML/CSS/JS? Thanks in advance for your time!

    submitted by /u/onelovex3
    [link] [comments]

    [Beginner] Need to make the site look good on mobiles

    Posted: 02 May 2018 02:11 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Dev wise I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but a couple of years ago I threw some stuff together to make a list of my favorite bookmarks/recommendations that I can give to friends:

    Recently I found it and finally uploaded it. Visible here: http://lesezeichen.github.io

    To spread out the content nicely I use the jQuery script called Columnizer.

    Back then I never showed it anyone and gave up due to the last necessary change: Making it more responsive. It's a little private project that doesn't have to be perfect and it kind of is okay at most viewports, but on mobiles it should show as one column (like this), but now it's two, which makes everything too small.

    Question: I tried some things before, but it would just turn out worse and screw up everything. Can anyone take a look at the code and recommend a quick fix for my particular setup?

    Any leads will be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

    Edit: Repo here: https://github.com/lesezeichen/lesezeichen.github.io

    submitted by /u/SH_DY
    [link] [comments]

    [Beginner] Vue - data is undefined when used in methods

    Posted: 02 May 2018 01:26 PM PDT

    Learning Vue JS 2 from Netninja's YouTube series, stuck on an early video. Basically, my code is like this:

    <div id="vue-app"> <h1>{{ title }}</h1> <p>{{ content }}</p> <a v-bind:href="link">Click here</a> <p>{{ printInfo() }}</p> </div> new Vue({ el: '#vue-app', data: { title: 'My Title', content: 'This is some text', link: 'https://www.google.com' }, methods: { printInfo: () => { return `${this.title}, ${this.content}, ${this.link}`; } } }); 

    Yet for the printInfo() method, I get undefined, undefined, undefined.

    What's going on here? It works for him but not for me.

    submitted by /u/namehimjawnathan
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an editor that renders and has revision history.

    Posted: 02 May 2018 01:18 PM PDT

    Right now as the sole website editor I'm using Dreamweaver. Now before you laugh I'm basically just editing by the code but letting DW show the design and rendered website in split screen so I can see my changes in real time (also selecting the code through the design window which beats scrolling through code). I don't really use 99% of DW's features aside from find/replace and the site files window.

    Is there a software that can do that but also has revision history if the website is edited by other users? We might have a second person working on the site but I need to see exactly what is being done and ALL changes being made.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/patssle
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment