• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 3, 2018

    Shaders for my new game I have made using Shaderforge (now free and open source). Good starting point for anyone learning.

    Shaders for my new game I have made using Shaderforge (now free and open source). Good starting point for anyone learning.


    Shaders for my new game I have made using Shaderforge (now free and open source). Good starting point for anyone learning.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:23 AM PDT

    AI-powered startup RADiCAL promises marker-less 3D motion capture straight from your smartphone in their free public beta.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:42 AM PDT

    Godot 3.0.3 RC1 Released - Finally, you can export games made using C#

    Posted: 03 May 2018 01:44 AM PDT

    Free 3D Models – I've made a list of free game ready 3D models of decent quality. Enjoy this selection of free and useful 3D assets.

    Posted: 02 May 2018 03:27 PM PDT

    HTML5 Game Engine Impact is now free and open source

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:38 AM PDT

    What are these art styles?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 02:56 AM PDT

    Hi there.

    I need to choose an art stlye for my game. Unfortunately I am not experienced. So I need a lot of practice. I am also not succesful at choosing an art style. I found two nice looking styles. I wonder if those kind of styles has specific name and maybe some I could get some advise about software tutorials etc.

    Thanks!

    https://graphicriver.net/item/mystick-weapons-creation-pack/screenshots/9997218

    https://i.pinimg.com/564x/eb/20/50/eb2050bc16bdafc60711dd752d65af9b.jpg

    submitted by /u/anilisfaitnesto
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best ways to find beta-testers?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 09:39 AM PDT

    I only recently starting posting about my game and there is very little exposure yet, it's my bad for postponing it so long, but now I really need some beta-testers and have no idea where to find them, default methods and 'marketing' yields exactly zero results so far. The game is niche (hardcore roguelike), maybe that's a thing too.

    Also, as it's the first time I'm putting anything out there, I somehow I ended up calling it closed beta (because of the small scale) but after having read up a bit I am thinking I got it wrong. Or not? :)

    [EDIT] I've recently been contacted by a guy from 'STOMT', it seems like the right thing for feedback, does anyone else use it?

    submitted by /u/EiDemiurge
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to create player? (newbie question)

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:45 AM PDT

    Hi, Wanted to ask, what is the best way to create a player when I am using free model from unity asset store.

    1. One of the tutorials from bracklays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK57qdq_lak&list=PLPV2KyIb3jR5PhGqsO7G4PsbEC_Al-kPZ&index=1

    Showing on sphere, that I should create player by:

    1. Create 3D Sphere
    2. Create Graphic, Empty object
    3. Create 3D sphere

    Make it as prefab at the end.

    So if I have player model should I make player by: 1. Add model 2. Empty object, (Graphic) 3. Add model again

    ?

    submitted by /u/oneuselessuser
    [link] [comments]

    Intro To 3D Rendering Book Recommendations

    Posted: 03 May 2018 09:45 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    I am an indie dev who has primarily worked in Unity, but has lots of general programming experience as I am 3 years into a computer science degree.

    I have always been interested in creating my own 3D renderer and would really love some book reccomendations on the subject!

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SurrealGaming
    [link] [comments]

    Python3 for game development without pygame

    Posted: 03 May 2018 09:37 AM PDT

    So I have been working on a game entirely in Python3 using bearlibterminal as the graphics engine and everything else using various libraries and self-coded bits.

    Any of y'all have experience with game development using Python3 or other python versions?

    What I have found so far:

    Positives: - Ridiculously fast development time. I wrote roughly 500 lines of tricky code in a 5 hour period the other night. This is with dealing with a few bugs with XML for 2 hours.

    -Plenty of pre-built rendering libraries (pygame and bearlibterminal come to mind)

    -Simpler development enviroment and simpler code.

    Negatives: -Code isnt as versatile as C++ (what ive tried using in the past for game dev)

    -Not as many libraries for tasks (almost nothing in regards to seeded perlin or simplex noise)

    -Harder to distribute (this has gotten better but making .exes with .py files is notoriously tricksy)

    -Code is slower. I consider this a fun challenge but for larger games, this can be tricky.

    -Almost 0 support for 3d graphics. I have yet to see a 3d game using python.

    submitted by /u/somewhataccurate
    [link] [comments]

    About Nicalis and their relationship with developers

    Posted: 02 May 2018 11:54 AM PDT

    I recently came upon this tweet about Nicalis removing the developers' logo from the physical release of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap [EDIT: Having only the publisher logo visible on the front cover is apparently what's encouraged by NOA's guidelines, but there are multiple switch games that have the developers logo visible], and while I did know some friends (and myself included) had bad experiences working with Nicalis, it surprised me to see that there were other developers who had problems with them, based on the replies of others that said "classic Nicalis" and stuff like that, and I would love to hear your stories.

    Personally, I was contacted by Tyrone a couple of years ago to work as an illustrator for the cover art of one of their upcoming releases. Tyrone was really friendly at first, and replied every email in 10 minutes top. He asked me for a sketch featuring the main characters, and while I normally would charge up front, I thought it would be ok with them since they were Nicalis (it was a dumb move on my end, but being paid or not is not the issue here). Long story short, I sent them the sketch and they never replied back. I tried contacting them again, asking them if they had gotten my email, but once again they never replied, and the game came out with a different cover. I looked up if someone else had had a similar experience, but I couldn't find anything.

    A couple years later, a close friend of mine tells me that they were contacted by Nicalis because they wanted to port their game to Switch. Again, Tyrone replied every mail within 10 minutes, told them how excited he was about the game, told them to send them the build soon, and as soon as the build was sent, they never replied again. They tried contacting them again some months later, but once again, they never replied.

    During GDC, I was talking to other devs, and when someone mentioned Nicalis, I told the two stories above, and guess what. There was another developer who had the exact same experience with Nicalis. They offered them a Switch port and then ghosted on them as soon they sent the build.

    So I really wanted to know if there's anyone else here who have had similar stories with them? I have worked with other big publishers in the past, and they all have replied, even to tell us they are not interested. Contacting someone first, and asking them to send them your work for free and not bothering to even reply is just plain rude.

    submitted by /u/battleandbeyond
    [link] [comments]

    Video Game Guns: Reference, Baking, Texturing

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:21 AM PDT

    How much math is needed for game developing/designing?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 11:41 AM PDT

    I'm currently at a cc right now and found out that I needed calc in order to transfer to either uc irvine or uc santa cruz.. I was just wondering how much math is actually used when developing games

    submitted by /u/dantes_02
    [link] [comments]

    “Nothing would stop me right now”: Cliff Harris on what it takes to become a Successful Game Developer (Interview)

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:53 AM PDT

    Building Games That Can Be Understood at a Glance

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:51 AM PDT

    Static Analysis in Video Game Development: Top 10 Software Bugs

    Posted: 03 May 2018 07:02 AM PDT

    Is now/2018 a bad time to start a multi-year 3D project in Unity?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 04:44 AM PDT

    • Not much documented new Rendering pipelines which are still in preview.
    • Shadergraph HDRP in preview.
    • Work beyond patches stopped for the old rendering pipeline.
    • Editor kind of unstable since 5.6.
    • Nested prefabs coming towards the end of the year, which kinda change the workflow by a lot.
    • ECS & Job System not really documented and from what i saw make the code a lot more verbose/complex but are basically the future.
    • New features not really production ready, something i have noticed since 2017 version.
    • Schizophrenic workflow, package manager, asset store downloads etc.

    I am probably missing some things but overall...

    Am i wrong or is now kinda not a good time for that multi-year project I've been preparing for the last 6 months?

    Only comparable alternative is UE4 but it would probably take me 6 months to get comfortable and productive which would be around 2018.3 so I am kinda stuck in decision-paralysis hell.

    Made a similar thread in r/Unity3D but only got one response, hopefully people here have some insight to guide me.

    submitted by /u/par6597
    [link] [comments]

    Good article on ethics and game design.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:32 AM PDT

    Indie Boost - marketing tool for indies that *actually looks useful*!

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:10 AM PDT

    This looks seriously useful for devs.

    Indie Boost is essentially a cross between a keymailer and a webcrawler like Steamspy, specifically targeted at finding streamers and press that cover content and genres similar to your game's, getting keys to them, and incentivising them to write or make video content about it before they get sent the next key.

    It has a tool for optimizing and localising your Steam page and it's tags and a more polished take on Rami's presskit() but the bit that really excites me is the way they want to help you build relationships with Streamers.

    It's going to live or die by how high a profile the 'influencers' (sorry -there really is no other word for this) who use the platform are, but even if it is smaller folks just getting started I think this tool will be useful to devs, we'll certiainly be looking to use it for our upcoming game.

    I'm interested to hear what everyone here thinks?

    I have no affiliation, just really excited about the potential of the platform after meeting one of the founders, Nik, at GDC'18.

    submitted by /u/richmetson
    [link] [comments]

    Is finding a publisher hard?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 09:04 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! My team and I have recently finished our first indie game, which also turned out to be a huge failure in terms of marketing. Basically exactly 0 people(besides some of my friends) actually downloaded the (free) game so far, and I'm fairly sure the game isn't THAT bad - therefore it obviously is related to our extremely poor marketing strategy. I have started reading more seriously about marketing, but we have some new members and are very excited about our next game and we really can't afford another failure. So I seriously started thinking about getting a publisher for our next game, but right now I'm clueless about what I'm supposed to do. I'm obviously going to do a lot of research on my own, but I was curious if some of you guys would be willing to share your experience on this topic, for example how realistic is for a small indie team of really young people to get a decent publisher etc.

    submitted by /u/dragosconst
    [link] [comments]

    Guide about how to raise two daughters, run small indie studio and not turn insane

    Posted: 02 May 2018 01:36 PM PDT

    Hello guys. I just wanted to share my personal experience on running a small indie dev team, while working full time job and raising two beautiful daughters with my wife. Through out my story I want to provide some things that actually worked for me to make the flow of making my passion projects faster, and things that did not work me as well.

    A little back story. I am working as a developer at huge enterprise company, I am happily married and have twin daughters. My wife is going through medical school so I have to also support her through that decision, and take as much possibly care of our daughters as possible, so that she can study. Basically my week days are usually 9 - 5:30 day job, than few hours of commute, and than I stay with kids until around their bath time which is usually at 10 : 30. So you can ask me, how is it even possible to do all that? (Or you might be working even harder, and laugh at this post).

    Tip 1: Work out. Yeees, you have to exercise. It might be challenging at first, but you have to find this 30 minutes to an hour every other day and throw in some work outs. It might seem very counter intuitive, people tend to think that by wasting your emerge during workout, you will lack that energy and will not be as productive. I was one of those people, and while obtaining my degree in computer science, completely stopped working out, got a lot of excessive weight, and noted that my energy levels were at their all time lows. Having a good work out helped me to clear my mind and take it off the things. Its one hour that you are not stressing about anything, you are just performing physical activities, and actually creating more energy for yourself as a result. Exercising helped me performed much better in my day job, my projects and when I interact with my kids.

    Tip 2: Time trackers. Track your time - it helps. I used to spend hours of available time just going from one youtube video to another, and doing some useless stuff. Keep track of your time, give yourself a % of time for some random activities like facebook, youtube and related stuff that does not matter, and prioritize bigger % for your projects or personal development. Set alarm clock and make sure that when the time for random activity ends, you turn of stuff that is irrelevant and actually start working.

    Tip 3: Surround yourself with people that motivate you and want you to succeed. I know if might seem stupid, and there is a chance you will not act upon this tip literally. However, I will give you personal example. A friend of mine have nothing to do with computer games, he does not understand the business model and potential of that industry. So every time I have tried to show him one of my personal projects he would give me negative vibe and feedback. The question is, why bother and discuss something that important to you with him, if you know the outcome. Do not get discouraged, just don't bring that topic. On the contrary, if you know someone is a gamer, do take their feedback into account and listen to their thoughts!

    Tip 4: Find out the time in your day where you are most productive. This one might take a while, however, every person have different physiology. Some people can work best at night time, some during the day. Find out what time is most productive for your, and maybe next time instead of grabbing a drink in the bar, actually do some work on your projects.

    Tip 5: Have clear goals and write them down. Having clear goals of your project, and what you are planning to accomplish while you create it helps to set proper expectation. If you have written goals, it creates a check list that has final outcome. Saying that you just want to make a game is not enough, you have to answer basic questions like: what kind of game, what are the main mechanics, what is the platform, what is the engine etc. One you write all of them down you will have a clear number of things that you need to finish before you can ship the product!

    I hope some of those tips will help my indie game dev comrades !

    submitted by /u/whitesharktech
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a game with complexity - need an outside perspective of what this means.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:49 AM PDT

    Hi guys, Going to apologize first if this question does not belong here, if so, I'd appreciate suggestions on where else to ask.

    I am student software developer who is on the verge of getting a job at a start-up company. I met the ceo and he would like to me to create something in Unity to determine whether he'd like to hire me.

    He wants me to create a small game that has complexity to its mechanics. He doesn't want to be able to play the game and see the logic behind it. Unfortunately for me, I have the issue (from being a programmer) of seeing the logic in most things.

    So I'm confused as to what he wants - something small, the plot/idea doesnt matter, complex and efficient game mechanics.

    I'd appreciate examples/suggestions or any guidance on this.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lorthemartheron
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a indy dev company

    Posted: 03 May 2018 07:54 AM PDT

    I'm making a game a game by myself, once released I want to move on to my next project which will require more people.

    My question is when should I start a company? How should I go about it and should I do it before I release my first game?

    Edit: Also, how does trade marks and copy rights works with games once you become a company, are they filed under the company or your identity?

    submitted by /u/blakat1033
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment