• Breaking News

    Monday, May 7, 2018

    It's Never Too Late to Start Learning! learn programming

    It's Never Too Late to Start Learning! learn programming


    It's Never Too Late to Start Learning!

    Posted: 06 May 2018 03:15 AM PDT

    I know this has been probably been iterated over this sub again and again but I just wanted to share my personal experience.

    I only started software engineering ~3-4 years ago in my thirties and often times felt that, if I had started earlier, I would be in a more advanced position in my career.

    Then last month I went to the International Javascript Conference in London and met one of the speakers:

    https://developers.google.com/experts/people/christoffer-noring

    His story is particular interesting, as he, like many, started programming late in life and made the leap from zero to hero in just a handful of years. (This was his opening remarks for one of his presentations, actually). He emphasized that no matter what he did, he always felt it wasn't good enough, despite being a presently recognized Google expert in Angular and having authored publications on the subject.

    The point that he was trying to make is to not get discouraged about your age, or how incompetent you feel. The biggest message from him and other professionals at the conference was to engage frequently and often, pursue your passion for programming, and not to let anything distract you from that.

    Apologies for yet another feel-good post, but today is a feel-good day, so why not!

    submitted by /u/fan-man
    [link] [comments]

    Start first coding job on Tuesday and terrified.

    Posted: 06 May 2018 04:40 PM PDT

    Two years after graduation I finally got my first coding job somehow.

    I got the news last week and immediate joy quickly turned to stress and has been that way ever since. I feel like I'm making a mistake and want to bail. Hard.

    It's been tough to actually find a job in coding because no one wants to hire someone with no experience. I never put together a project and I feel like, even though it's been two years of trying, it was really on and off working with code, nothing concrete. Been struggling with mental illness and I feel like that's also going to hinder.

    I wanted to work in JavaScript but got a job fixing bugs in Delphi (that I know zero about). I only have the very basics of how to structure code worked out (variables, constructors, classes/functions, etc), not even enough to put together a project. Still. This is something I've been dreaming of doing. Now that I have a foot in, I feel like it's wrong.

    I should be super excited and absolutely wanting to tackle this head on but...I just feel scared and full of regret for taking the position.

    Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Every fiber of my being is screaming at me to turn tail and run.

    submitted by /u/jcupples
    [link] [comments]

    Which field to dive for FinTech?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 10:50 PM PDT

    Hi, I have been learning Python for almost 2 years and I feel comfortable with it. I have a basic knowledge about Django and have deployed a personal project using it (nothing fancy, just a chat app which doesn't even have async, planning to try "web-sockets"). I am interested in Financial Technology. I have no work experience but want to gain some basic knowledge about the tech in banking and payment systems (I have never mined BitCoin too). I want to know which areas of computer science I should cover if I want to have a career in fintech. Should I dig in for networking or security or databases? Please have a say if you are working in this area. Also, if you can also give resources for fintech (sorry for this but I can't find them in FAQ), both free and paid, I would be really grateful.

    submitted by /u/ime11
    [link] [comments]

    Why are so many companies switching to React and how long might the transition to go from some other JS framework like Angular take?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 10:33 PM PDT

    Question above

    submitted by /u/rickbarrysbignuts
    [link] [comments]

    What do you do to keep learning?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 09:31 PM PDT

    I'm interested to hear how you all keep learning about a specific language and general topics like design, algorithms, etc.

    I'm always curious to know but sometimes I feel like my journey could use a little more structure. Another aspect is wondering if I should keep hitting the books or try and get involed with some OSS.

    submitted by /u/jokem59
    [link] [comments]

    Learn Java and Python in tandem

    Posted: 06 May 2018 09:18 PM PDT

    TL;DR Resources and approaches to develop advanced proficiency in Python and Java Together. .... I wish to explain my situation first. I am a mid level software engineer with an experience primarily in databases and a tool called Informatica. Recently I was asked to take up a project in Spring and Java 8 . Though I had a buddy programmer who guided me, i know the proficiency I developed is native only to the project I work on. I will not stand a chance with other mid level software developers on Java. I also have a side project at home that uses some machine learning using python libraries . This side project mandates me to spend almost 90pc reading actual concepts of machine learning and the code is usually copy pasta. So, I have no proficiency in python either. I, at the moment have a stable job with a workload that is not too heavy . This itself is an omen in my industry. Please suggest me an effective learning path to develop proficiency in both Java and Python. I do have projects at work and at home where I can apply them . My superiors consider me quite capable and do not question my design approaches often. So, I can risk a bit of exploration in the Java domain by applying concepts I learn . The only reviewer to the code is my buddy coder and I supervise him. Hence , I can push him to be a bit more adventurous and take risks. Any inputs would be welcome .Thank you all

    submitted by /u/b3utiful_darksid3
    [link] [comments]

    Starting new internship soon, and I feel extremely under-qualified

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:40 PM PDT

    In a few weeks I start a new internship, and I feel extremely under-qualified. I started my comp sci degree 2 years ago, and really only coding on and off for maybe 6-7 months.

    I emailed my supervisor about how I can prep myself for the internship, and they just said to focus on my course work for now. I know the some C++, Java, and python. I know enough that I'm handed something, I can read most of it.

    I feel like when I do assignments, Im using so many references(books, google, stackoverflow, and even other people's code) to get projects done that I'm not going to be of use to the company.

    My question is: What can I do get rid of this feeling?

    Edit: My github for my projects. For most part I wrote them myself. https://github.com/mithusingh32

    submitted by /u/PastaSaladWithPepper
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with an API call for my weather app.

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:59 PM PDT

    I've completed the HTML, CSS and more recently JS courses from codeacademy and I wanted to start doing something using JS. I've created a (pretty shitty) responsive weather app but i'm having a tough time with the API call. I know i'm completely off with the GET request, but i don't quite know where, or how i'm going wrong. The JavaScript runs without putting out any errors to the console so im really confused.

    Am i supposed to use a POST request instead?

    Here are the CodePen links to what i've done so far:

    • First page -Just for your reference any feedback on the HTML & CSSwould be appreciated
    • Second Page -this is where i'm messing up the API call to open weather map

    Guys, any input would help, i'm really struggling with this.

    submitted by /u/midgetnation
    [link] [comments]

    How do you licence code for freelance work?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 02:11 PM PDT

    I'm wondering how people normally license their code when doing freelance work. I would guess that the code should be completely available to the client (For example, a client got their code base for me to work with from a company that made their current app). How would this then translate into my usage later? Can I still use it as a base for other projects, or expand it for more universal use? Can you use projects that are potentially owned by your client in your portfolio?

    submitted by /u/o132
    [link] [comments]

    Hi everyone, looking for some advice. (3 weeks into a programming boot camp and feeling quite defeated.)

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:06 PM PDT

    Thank you in advance for any help or words of wisdom. I wasn't quite sure who to talk to, or who to ask, then I remembered the great community of r/learnprogramming.

    Quick background: 31 years old. Been in tech for 8 years or so (non-technical roles), decided to change careers a few months ago, and 4 weeks ago I took the plunge and signed on to a 6-month long full-stack coding boot camp. Currently working full-time (~45 hours a week) and learning to code (30+ hours a week). Minimal HTML experience and took 1 VisualBasic class in high-school.

    1st week into bootcamp was spent on HTML/CSS. Not too difficult, but definitely do NOT feel as though I've got a firm grasp (on CSS at least), but I keep forging ahead.

    2nd week thru 3rd week was spent on JavaScript. Things are getting progressively more difficult, and there is no way I could code-up (from scratch) some of the challenge exercises they're presenting at the end of the lessons.

    I just started on the jQuery unit yesterday - and progress seems to be coming to a screeching halt. I'm frustrated (almost to tears) and it feels as though things are moving way too fast and I truthfully can't see how anyone could have a solid grasp on JS in only 2 weeks, let alone all four (HTML/CSS/JS/jQuery) in one month.

    My question, I guess, is: has anyone had similar experiences in the beginning of a boot camp / learning to code? If so, what did you do to keep plugging away? I'm starting to worry that I may not be cut out for this stuff - but I really do not ever want to quit.

    TL; DR: 3 weeks into a coding bootcamp and beyond frustrated. Feeling a little hopeless. Any words of wisdom?

    submitted by /u/toodulltocare
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to learn C# and .NET for web development?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:22 AM PDT

    I'm currently an apprentice working with tech support at a larger company. We have people that work with web development and they primarily use C# and .NET.

    Where is the best place to start learning this? I want to be able to develop web applications as fast as possible, and I'm willing to spend a lot of time after work to learn this. I've done a little coding with Python earlier so I understand the basics of programming.

    submitted by /u/opptur_nedtur
    [link] [comments]

    Can a program be created that automatically blocks social media profiles based on keywords?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:42 PM PDT

    I get followed by a lot of scam accounts on Instagram and was wondering if a program could be created to block these accounts as soon as the follow me based on some common keywords in the names of the accounts (followers, vbucks etc.). I don't code so this is just a concept.

    submitted by /u/c1nderh3lm
    [link] [comments]

    Bootstrap Questions - Background Image & Other Questions

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:40 PM PDT

    Hello guys ,

    New to bootstrap but doing some css / html for some time but mainly using the visual editor in Wordpress.

    1. I want to create 2 equal columns in a container, or a 1/3 and 2/3 column.

    So contrainer >

    row >

    column 1 >

    column 2 >

    Column 1 contains some text and icons. In column 2, I just want a background image the covers the entire column. What is the best way to approach this ?

    <div class="col-md-6" style="margin=0px; padding:0px; background-image:url(img/headerone.jpg);> </div>

    The height of column 1 is approximately 300 - 400 pixels.

    Tried adding height:400px; to column 2, seems to work but is there a better solution to this one?

    1. With regards to classes , for example column 2. I will be using it 3 or 4 times in the site, is it advisable to use an "id" or unique class so I can better style it with css on an external sheet ?
    submitted by /u/pixelmatrixx
    [link] [comments]

    SQL case sum of two tuples on different columns

    Posted: 06 May 2018 07:30 PM PDT

    Let's say that I've created a query on a table of people, this query returns the names and the salaries associated with those people, as such:

    names salary ------------------- Adam 50000 Bryan 70000 Brent 45000 Kyle 63000 

    Let's say that I want to perform a further query that will return the sum of the salaries of Bryan and Brent, and output them as a single entry, so what I would want is:

    names salary ------------------- Adam 50000 B's 115000 Kyle 63000 

    How could I do that? I'm assuming I'd use a sum(case...) but I haven't managed to figure that out yet. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/orions_nipple
    [link] [comments]

    Are there a coding jobs centered around refactoring?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 07:25 PM PDT

    I've been coding for seriously for about 9 months. One of the things that I was advised to do by other programmers early on was figure out what niche of programming I like the most and start mastering it.

    The thing that I've come to enjoy doing the most is not building websites/programs from scratch, but going through existing ones and refactoring them. I love reducing the length of code, reworking classes and functions, managing dependencies, etc. Is there a role/job in programming where your main focus is refactoring, or is it just another tool in a programmers kit? If it's just a good skill to have but not a job specific role, then I don't want to dedicate too much time from it.

    submitted by /u/scratch_pad
    [link] [comments]

    Objet oriented python question

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:09 PM PDT

    So this is the code:

    class A: def spam(self): print(1) class B(A): def spam(self): print(2) super().spam() B().spam() 

    And my questions are: When defining "class B(A):" does it define "B" with a variable "A", or does "B" point back to "A"?

    What does the "super().spam()" do in this case?

    In line 10 when "B().spam()" Does it refer to "B" and what does the empty parameters do? And what does the ".spam()" do in this case?

    submitted by /u/ville1001
    [link] [comments]

    I commute to work. How should I study during down time?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 10:18 PM PDT

    Between breaks and commuting to work I have approximately two hours of down time per day. Normally I'm on my phone because there's not much else to do so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can study programming more when I'm not on my computer. Right now I'm learning python and even though it has only been a few weeks I feel like I've learned a lot. Normally I read through topics here or other subreddits but is there other places I can read or any apps I should download?

    submitted by /u/Solar_Demon_
    [link] [comments]

    Celery Error: Received unregistered task of type 'task'

    Posted: 06 May 2018 10:11 PM PDT

    I'm getting the following error in my celery log:

    [2018-05-04 23:33:42,186: ERROR/MainProcess] Received unregistered task of type 'post_jobs'. The message has been ignored and discarded. Did you remember to import the module containing this task? Or maybe you're using relative imports? Please see http://docs.celeryq.org/en/latest/internals/protocol.html for more information. The full contents of the message body was: '[[], {}, {"callbacks": null, "errbacks": null, "chord": null, "chain": null}]' (77b) Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/james/postr/env/lib/python3.5/site-packages/celery/worker/consumer/consumer.py", li$ strategy = strategies[type_] KeyError: 'post_jobs' 

    post_jobs is my only celery task, and it's in another module (not my main app module), which may be why I'm encountering this problem. I was forced to do this as my model could not be imported from the main app. My celery conf looks like this (post is not the main module):

    [program:postr-celery] command=/home/james/postr/env/bin/celery -A post worker --loglevel=INFO directory=/home/james/postr user=james numprocs=1 stdout_logfile=/var/log/supervisor/celery.log stderr_logfile=/var/log/supervisor/celery.log autostart=true autorestart=true startsecs=10 ; Need to wait for currently executing tasks to finish at shutdown. ; Increase this if you have very long running tasks. stopwaitsecs = 600 stopasgroup=true 

    I can successfully receive the task:

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/gIawm.png

    however when I start my celery beat via celery -A draft1 beat:

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/ey1F1.png

    my celery log returns the error (Received unregistered task of type 'post_jobs'):

    I've tried starting celery beat via celery -A post beat instead however it doesn't change anything.

    My settings looks like this:

    CELERY_BROKER_URL = 'amqp://{}:{}@174.138.62.249/vhost'.format(config('RABBIT_USER'), config('RABBIT_PW')) CELERY_BEAT_SCHEDULER = "django_celery_beat.schedulers.DatabaseScheduler" CELERYBEAT_SCHEDULE = { 'post_jobs': { 'task': 'post.tasks.post_jobs', 'schedule': crontab(minute=40), }, } 

    post/tasks.py

    @app.task def test_post(): from .models import Post for i in Post.objects.all(): if i.entered_category == "test": i.entered_category = "not_test" i.save() return HttpResponseRedirect('/') 

    post/celery.py

    os.environ.setdefault('DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE', 'draft1.settings') app = Celery(broker=CELERY_BROKER_URL) app.config_from_object('django.conf:settings', namespace='CELERY') app.autodiscover_tasks() 

    draft1/celery.py

    os.environ.setdefault('DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE', 'draft1.settings') app = Celery("draft1", broker=CELERY_BROKER_URL) app.config_from_object('django.conf:settings', namespace='CELERY') app.autodiscover_tasks() 

    Any idea why I'm getting the error and how I can fix it?

    submitted by /u/ItsComingHomeLads
    [link] [comments]

    Which programming topics should I learn on my own and which are best suited to formal coursework?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 10:07 PM PDT

    I have been at learning CS for about 2 years, I took some courses in CS theory and system architecture. I found that to be a great way of learning it. However there are some others like network security and web development that I think would be a pain in the ass and less direct to take a class in. What CS topics can be most effectively self-taught?

    submitted by /u/DIYjackass
    [link] [comments]

    Is there are read on Apache, NGINX, Varnish, etc..

    Posted: 06 May 2018 09:59 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I want to learn about tools/tech like Apache, NGINX, Varnish, Docker, AWS, Proxies, Load Balancing, etc... basically (in my understanding) things that are use to create and maintain cloud solutions and services.

    I am looking for a book, detailed article, video series, which talk about how these and many more technologies work together, when to use each of them, etc...

    I hope someone can point me to what I am looking for, Thank you.

    PS. Paid is fine, as long as it is good!!!

    submitted by /u/CheBurashka_GG
    [link] [comments]

    Start to finish web development project tutorials for developing portfolio

    Posted: 06 May 2018 05:41 PM PDT

    Hi, anyone has links to some good start to finish projects tutorials? I made an ecommerce store from scratch using free udemy course and looking for something similar. Basically something you can create using tutorial, customise it and showcase as your portfolio in your portfolio site.

    Any language would do..but tutorials using PHP/Framework and JavaScript is ideal.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/__root
    [link] [comments]

    Browser extension that unblocks websites that try to force membership... is it legal?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 09:23 PM PDT

    I've been thinking about creating a browser extension that unblocks pages from sites that try to force you to sign up for an account... specifically LinkedIn and Chegg, which will blur out the whole page preventing you from using the site without an account.

    First, could there be legal issues with this?

    Second, would this be against the Chrome/Firefox store policies?

    I'm not trying to be malicious or anything, it's more for the learning experience of creating and publishing a browser extension. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/NovaKevin
    [link] [comments]

    How do applications work on different processors?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:26 PM PDT

    Something that's been bugging me is, different processors allow for different operations and have different opcodes (binary) that do different things - when a program is compiled, it is essentially turned into machine language. So, when we make apps and send them off for someone who might be using a processor different from our own, what actually gets sent? The c code that will execute to get the same result on their computer? How does it make sense to download "binary " files if processors interpret them differently?

    This is just a curiosity question, thanks

    submitted by /u/mw130
    [link] [comments]

    Learning php help

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:52 PM PDT

    This is my first time i am learning php. I want to write a function inside an html page that i can call when i click a btton. So i have a databe function called function dbconn() and i want to call this function durring a button click. And also how should i arrange my code html code then php execution or the other way?

    So something like this

    <html>

    <body>

    <?php

    dbcon();

    function dbcon(){

    INSERT INTO......

    }

    <form action="?">

    Is it possible to call the function in the action form?

    </form>

    ?>

    </body>

    </html>

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/mindsculpt
    [link] [comments]

    CodeCademy Pro Worth it?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:05 PM PDT

    I wouldn't mind spending the additional $20 to upgrade to pro for the month, just to get some hands on projects that I can make, just want to know what you guys think?

    submitted by /u/LastVisage
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment