• Breaking News

    Friday, May 4, 2018

    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (May 04, 2018) Computer Science

    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (May 04, 2018) Computer Science


    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (May 04, 2018)

    Posted: 03 May 2018 06:06 PM PDT

    /r/compsci strives to be the best online community for computer scientists. We moderate posts to keep things on topic.

    This Weekend SuperThread provides a discussion area for posts that might be off-topic normally. Anything Goes: post your questions, ideas, requests for help, musings, or whatever comes to mind as comments in this thread.

    Pointers

    • If you're looking to answer questions, sort by new comments.
    • If you're looking for answers, sort by top comment.
    • Upvote a question you've answered for visibility.
    • Downvoting is discouraged. Save it for discourteous content only.

    Caveats

    • It's not truly "Anything Goes". Please follow Reddiquette and use common sense.
    • Homework help questions are discouraged.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Hey reddit, what is your favorite cs problem that uses multiple data structures and algorithms to solve it?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 01:59 AM PDT

    Bonus points if you feel like describing it too!

    submitted by /u/chillercheeto
    [link] [comments]

    If f is a total computable function, why is the range of f recursively enumerable?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 07:54 PM PDT

    I get lost in the sauce when reading about these abstract theoretical things. Can someone give me a proof in plain English? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ALT173869
    [link] [comments]

    Translating binary messages (0,1) to hardware+musical instrument

    Posted: 04 May 2018 01:01 AM PDT

    Dear all,

    I no background in hardware, but my thought is the following: if I have a script in python which outputs a 0 or 1 and I want to map it to an action on a musical instrument, how do you recommend I go on about this? Ideally the signals would be wireless / I am not sure how this would work out so I am open to book suggestions on the topic (brain computer interfacing / passing message to hardware?) Should my first prototype be on a smaller instrument such as a xylophone? I was thinking the final version would be on an automatic piano (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_piano) Any thoughts you may have to fill in my hardware shaped hole would be appreciated,

    Many thanks in advance for your help

    submitted by /u/floating_on_a_wave
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any general method for estimating hardware requirements?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 01:30 PM PDT

    Hi, I hope that a Software Engineering question will be allowed here, too.

    I'm in progress of writing my thesis. It aims to deal with estimating some costs related to migration of an application to cloud and tries to optimize the overall cost of the process. The overall framework aims to be limited to a narrow class of enterprise applications with given architecture (think CRUD applications with conventional aplication server + any SQL database, backups, replication - and so on). At the point I'm at now, I have lots of quantitative metrics extracted over the course of analysis.

    What I need at this point is some kind of method, however crude or inaccurate, which would attempt to estimate hardware requirements having the knowledge given above. Or any method from the domain of software engineering which would allow me to calculate any kind of estimate for the minimum hardware specification. Having only found methods for estimating costs of developing the solution itself (COCOMO, FP etc.) I'm starting to get afraid that my expectations are too far-fetched.

    My question to you is as follow: Have you stumbled upon a paper which would describe something similar to what I'm talking about?

    submitted by /u/kuba_10
    [link] [comments]

    C Is Not a Low-level Language

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:35 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment