• Breaking News

    Friday, May 4, 2018

    Common mistakes in stealth level design - I don't know why I haven't heard of this guy before, I want videos like this on every game design topic

    Common mistakes in stealth level design - I don't know why I haven't heard of this guy before, I want videos like this on every game design topic


    Common mistakes in stealth level design - I don't know why I haven't heard of this guy before, I want videos like this on every game design topic

    Posted: 04 May 2018 07:41 AM PDT

    Followup: ok I'm going to start sharing my project with the world.. Uh... How?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:32 AM PDT

    Thanks to the advice you all shared with me last week I've decided to go all in and start the hype train!

    I've only so far created a twitter @SHRINKRAYVR and nothing else lol

    My obvious thoughts are to make a game play video/GIF and post it there and sit back and watch 10 million people follow me.

    My back up plan is to.. I dunno.. Reach out to bloggers? Post some clickbait somewhere on reddit?

    What other social networks are good for engagement? Facebook worth it?

    I'll be developing a simple website soon too.

    What should I do?

    What shouldn't I do?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/atomsinthevoid
    [link] [comments]

    Interview with the creator of Wild Mage

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:09 AM PDT

    My Oculus Go game (wip)

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:41 AM PDT

    Check out my game engine I've called RAMEN. With it you can make 2D games in the unique and fun Forth programming language. Now in pre-release, beta, or whatever you want to call it.

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:21 PM PDT

    Photoshop settings for 2D sprite sheets?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:49 AM PDT

    I think that must be a question that being asked quite often. Sorry for metioning this again. But I am wondering what'd be the best width, height, resolution (ppi) and color mode (8bit, 16,bit, 32bit) and why? I think to answer this question, I need go give more details about the platforms, game style etc.

    Well first of all I am planning to make some vector art on Photoshop and not pixel art.

    And I want to make this game compatible for both pc and consoles. As for consoles it is expected to played game at 4K. Or am I wrong? I don't have much information about this matter and want to get things clear in my head.

    If any more information is needed please ask. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/anilisfaitnesto
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Navmesh Tutorial : Obstacles

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:33 AM PDT

    RPG Combat Mechanics Inquiry (all feedback welcome)

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:56 AM PDT

    Hey All. I have a few ideas for a dark fantasy RPG (working title: Project Thorn), and I'm struggling to think of a sold combat system that I'd like to implement. My main inspirations for this game are Hyper Light Drifter, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells and Salt and Sanctuary, so I'm ultimately setting out to design a vast interconnected world with a memorable environment and real time exploration. But I'd also like to implement a party system of a similar vein to other fantasy RPGs, so I'm debating with myself over the right way to do that; how to properly have the player explore with a single character while also emphasizing the theme of camaraderie in a desolate and hostile world.

    Below are some of the mechanic ideas that I had, so I'd really appreciate some input from you guys on the matter. I'll also be including a poll link if that'd be easier for you guys.

    TURN BASED STRATEGY COMBAT (when coming in contact with an enemy, the gameplay switches over to a turn based action screen)

    Turn Based Strategy with Timed Button Mashing: encouraging a variety of button combos to increase damage or defense against enemies, and unlocking more combinations for each of your characters the further you level up (Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi)

    Active Time Battle System: properly timing when and how to attack, and unlocking more time to attack on the timer bar on the bottom screen and a variety of other actions the further you level up (Grandia or Child of Light)

    REAL TIME STRATEGY COMBAT

    Rouge Like Action RPG: having you explore and fight in real time, but also equipping you with a single interchangeable companion that acts solely as a secondary attack (mix between Hyper Light Drifter and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

    On The Fly Character Switching: having you explore and fight in real time, but allowing you to swap your character out for another party member to perform a different moveset (mix between Shantae: Friends to the End and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin)

    Again, thanks for the input here, and I'll be open to any commentary that you have on the matter.

    Poll: https://www.strawpoll.me/15634339

    submitted by /u/mean_emcee
    [link] [comments]

    I made a promoting video to my game. what do you think?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:51 AM PDT

    Investor here, what questions would you ask to evaluate a Game Studio?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:16 AM PDT

    Good evening everyone,

    Hope your doing well. Fellow investor here who is currently trying to research the game industry. I would like to ask for your help, if you only could choose two questions to ask before investing, what would it be?

    I'm currently doing a major checklist on what makes a great game & Game Studio, I'll be publishing it here on the board during the summer to help out as many game dev as I can.

    Thanks for your time and contribution.

    submitted by /u/GameInvestor
    [link] [comments]

    Optimal strategy for today’s indie dev – more games or goldmine search?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 11:15 AM PDT

    Recently it has been suggested to me that the optimal strategy is to build up a portfolio and professional reputation so people buy not just your latest game, but the whole stack if they respect and appreciate your work. I must admit that for a long time I've been living in the goldmine search mindset, or as I call it, "notch mentality" ('cause it's been with me from early 2010's). It is about me making a legendary game "one day" (when the stars are right…) Only I wouldn't sell my baby of course, I would make it a brand, found a studio and work on it until end of days, make it the fantasy equivalent of the Matrix… Yeah.

    Anyway, as of late, I'm thinking more like, I'll make a solid foundation, and try to build up a game series, expanding and improving it year after year. I've already spent 7 years on it so I guess I'm just not cut out for 'one game per quarter' as some indies do (I'm doing freelance for income if you're wondering :))

    As an example, I think there was a dude with a studio named Spiderweb games or something, he made series of games called Avernum, I dunno if they did good for him financially, but he made a few so I suppose it was viable.

    PS Here's the original post that inspired the question; it's more into game design, but might be relevant to the discussion.

    submitted by /u/EiDemiurge
    [link] [comments]

    Making Sense of Power for Strategy Simulation Games

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:40 AM PDT

    Indie Game Dev Weekly Issue #8 is live.

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:34 AM PDT

    Fake review pages that sell keys

    Posted: 03 May 2018 12:29 PM PDT

    As a game developer you get requests by seemingly legit review pages all the time for steam review keys. What they actually do is sell the keys that you give them. If you give them one they often ask for 4 more keys for the other reviewers on their team. To seem legit, those pages have a few reviews and around 500 twitter followers that all don't interact at all with anything. It's just a facade to make developers think it's ok.

    I am surprised that I have never seen any discussion about all of this anywhere, so I'll start this one. And to have those pages googlable I'll make a list here and keep adding new pages that pop up.

    Those pages are all scams and they just want to resell the keys that you give them:

    www.gametoro-info.com

    www.2nld.com

    www.adorojogar.com

    www.SchweizerSpiele.com

    www.french-gamers.com

    www.game4italians.com

    www.4gamefr.com

    www.gamescz.com

    www.gameclo.com

    www.game4esp.com

    www.dasneuespiel.com

    submitted by /u/DavidM1337
    [link] [comments]

    Hardware suggestions?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:15 AM PDT

    I don't have a working PC anymore, so before I buy another one, I would like to ask for a cheap but fairly good system requirement for games developement?

    I know this is a bit weird, but I would appreciate a budget or specific parts.

    submitted by /u/HeldDerZeit
    [link] [comments]

    Screen resolution, asset resolution for 2d platformers

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:26 AM PDT

    This might seem like a dumb question, but how do non-pixel-art platformers typically handle different resolutions? Do they just show more of the level if you have higher resolution, keeping the assets the same resolution no matter what? Do they just stretch/shrink the screen? I'm using GameMaker specifically, and making some art assets now and want to keep this stuff in mind before I get too far. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

    submitted by /u/werdnaegni
    [link] [comments]

    Sound/music for games software?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 10:05 AM PDT

    Hello there. I'm currently working on a game with two other friends, one for visual assets, other for music and sound assets. As a modeller you can use lots of free software, as Gimp, Blender, Sktechup, etc. But what can you use as a sound designer? What does the industry usually uses on their games, to generate music?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/khelegond
    [link] [comments]

    I made a game for a game jam that seems like it's become pretty popular. I'd love to be able to make a full version. Is Kickstarter a good and realistic idea?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 09:31 AM PDT

    So about a month ago I released a game for the Meta Game Jam (the game is Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning, for anyone who's wondering.) and it just reached 10,000 downloads in Itch.io (That seems like a lot, but is it? This is my only game I've released so I don't have any experience to compare it to), and that number still seems to be climbing consistently. Most people who have commented on the game's page have been very positive about it, although there's definitely been some negative feedback as well, and the game certainly has it's issues.

    So my question is, is trying to Kickstart a full version of the game a good and realistic idea? I've had the idea for the game for a long time, and I know exactly how I'd turn the concept into a full game, so this isn't me seeing the game become popular and wanting to make a quick buck off of it; I really want to make this game, and part of me feels like this is my only chance. Thing is, I don't want to go through all the effort and pay for a bunch a preliminary things that I would need to before creating a Kickstarter, if the Kickstarter is doomed to failure from the beginning!

    Really I'm just trying to balance realism with optimism and figure out what the best course of action is. Family keeps telling me to do a Kickstarter. I keep wondering if people only care about the game's gimmick and quickly drop it after the first few attempts. I've gotten some donations, but then wonder if people would pay full price for a full game or if people only care if it's free. Lots of reasons for and against the idea, so I figured I'd ask here and see what people with some more experience have to say. Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/mystman12
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback Friday #287 - Flying High

    Posted: 03 May 2018 08:00 PM PDT

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #287

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    Testing services: Roast My Game (Web and Computer Games, feedback from developers and players)

    iBetaTest (iOS)

    and Indie Insights (livestream feedback)

    Promotional services: Alpha Beta Gamer (All platforms)

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Want to join the Raytracing hype?! Here is part one of our tutorials to get you started with GPU raytracing in Unity

    Posted: 04 May 2018 08:45 AM PDT

    Math & Concepts for Programming "fun feeling" 2D Character Controllers & Other Movement

    Posted: 03 May 2018 09:05 PM PDT

    I've been a self-taught Unity programmer for about 7 years now. Its been a long journey, but something I just haven't been able to get a good grasp on is making character controllers. (Partially because I'm ass at math) Sure, I can make one, But when it comes to actually making the movement satisfying and fun.. I just don't know how to work out the math for good results.

    The best movement I've gotten was just by copying multiple other existing formulas.

    This video here is also a great resource, but if I recall correctly, I was never able to translate it into working code.

    Obviously there is no single answer, so I'm hoping to get a discussion going on here about how some people use different maths (pow, time * time, slerp, exc) for different feels, or different core concepts that might be useful when someone might need to tackle how to design a controller to suit the feel of their game. I'm thinking mostly 2D platformer controls here, but other stuff would be great too!

    submitted by /u/Bamboy3600
    [link] [comments]

    Time-lapse for Stone Head Statue in Balloonatics - Using Maya/Mudbox/Substance Painter/Unity

    Posted: 04 May 2018 08:07 AM PDT

    Video Game Deep Cuts is a weekly, curated newsletter by Simon Carless. It contains each week's best articles regarding the video game industry and development. It's great, check it out.

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:32 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment