• Breaking News

    Monday, May 7, 2018

    Can someone give me a practical example / explanation on ECS?

    Can someone give me a practical example / explanation on ECS?


    Can someone give me a practical example / explanation on ECS?

    Posted: 07 May 2018 04:01 AM PDT

    Hello!

    As many of you probably heard... Unity is currently underway with implementing ECS as their design pattern but after doing some reading on it during the past couple days (with my almost nil level of understanding) I can't seem to grasp the concept.

    Apparently, all your code is only allowed in Systems? Is that true? Does that mean a systems file is going to be insanely large?

    Also, are components allowed to only contain structs?

    Thank you. I would have formatted this better but I'm typing on my phone as I have work in a few so excuse any mistakes in spelling.

    submitted by /u/tavich
    [link] [comments]

    If a game only offered you 16:9 and 16:10 aspects, would that be an issue for you?

    Posted: 07 May 2018 06:11 AM PDT

    My Ui works well in these resolutions. My UI always set to maintain it's size instead of scale with screen size which I like. It means no oversized/undersized UI or text due to resolution. It just chops the sides off if needed. Now when I look at 4:3 some of my UI can't adjust enough to fit inside that small width and to honest, I don't feel like dealing with it.

    So I am curious, If you bought a game that only had 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratio (else letterbox to one of those), is that a big deal for you? (PC game)

    submitted by /u/Torrentula81
    [link] [comments]

    Swords of Ditto: Procedurally-Generated Design

    Posted: 07 May 2018 10:56 AM PDT

    How to make my boring background more interesting?

    Posted: 07 May 2018 07:51 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, i need your help.

    I'm currently reworking my entire game scene, from bottom to top, mainly because i originally exported the texture in a too small size. But at the same time, i'm fixing all the mistakes i can find.

    Here is a little history of the so-called game scene:

    PROTO

    FIRST VERSION

    SECOND VERSION

    CURRENT VERSION 01

    CURRENT VERSION 02

    You can see the difference between the bottom (reworked, including the pop-up menu) and the rest. What i'm sure you can also see is that the background feels completly dated and out of place/style. It kinda did from the start to be honest but it got emphazied as the reworking progressed. Also when i started putting visually advanced objects on it like those blood stains.

    BLOOD STAINS

    My problem is this, i don't really know what to do from here, i'm lacking references and experience on how to make a long and plain texture interesting to look at. My only reference would be this.

    ISAAC BASEMENT

    I thought about giving it a perspective aspect to make it more interesting but i don't think it would work/do it any good since the rest of the scene isn't really built this way.

    What is in my power:

    • Flat color
    • Super thin texture pattern
    • Bottom-Up gradient (very important, i want to have a "top is redemption' feel to the scene, i might play around with some ray lights like those on the Isaac screenshot)
    • Discrete gradient/shadows on the corners/sides

    What i'm torned between:

    • A full/laboratory feel with a very sterile/clean/asepticized aspect, meaning no details, scratches or anything at start.
    • A more cell/prison-like feel with little details and more dirty aspect like the Isaac basement, which could allow me to use particle system to make it a bit more living (i feel like this would be the more interesting looking, but the laboratory approach is the more fitting/logical/what-the-game-actually is, so i'm having a hard time settling of one of the two)

    What do you think? Any ideas? References?

    Thanks in advance and have a nice day ! :)

    More infos:

    Harmless Demons

    Twitter

    submitted by /u/Amer_Jongleur
    [link] [comments]

    Building the Just Cause 3 Animation and Rigging Pipeline

    Posted: 07 May 2018 11:21 AM PDT

    FPS Game Starter Kit (UE4) - Update 1.3 Released

    Posted: 06 May 2018 05:41 PM PDT

    Beach House (3D Environment)

    Posted: 07 May 2018 03:17 AM PDT

    Recommended tool to define and export animation frames from an atlas

    Posted: 07 May 2018 06:25 AM PDT

    I can't find a tool that does something simple: I have a texture atlas of uneven sprites at varying positions in a .png. I want to be able to manually select frame regions, set their origin, set delay value, and export those to a file as one animation. I'd also like to be able to play it back to see what I'm doing. Something like

    animation name="attack" frame duration="0.3" x="32" y="56" w="102" h="203" origin="16,0" frame duration="0.1" x="78" y="122" w="110" h="73" origin="32,0" ... 

    There's got to be something like this but I haven't found anything the past two days googling. Texture Packer only packs the textures and generates the atlas I'm looking to define frames from the atlas using a GUI. Thanks

    submitted by /u/MavyP
    [link] [comments]

    Why is Vulkan not so common?

    Posted: 07 May 2018 07:37 AM PDT

    Hi there,

    i was wondering why Vulkan isn't really a big thing. Most AAA games don't use it and I can't understand why. Vulkan is cross-platform and you can create a Linux or macOS version of the game. Doom 2016 uses Vulkan but offers no Linux version, even without it it's easily to game it on Linux without much hassle. So why is this not a thing? Windows getting more trash and M$ is trying to hold it's PC market monopoly.

    Another thing: LiS BtS is getting a Linux version, just like Rise of the Tomb Raider. So why did they used DirectX in the first place? It should be way easier just to use Vulkan right at the beginning. I don't get it.

    So can somebody explain this to me?

    submitted by /u/SpiinDeX
    [link] [comments]

    How can I expand my skill in map making?

    Posted: 07 May 2018 09:29 AM PDT

    To clarify: I create 2D Maps using Tiled for a friends MMORPG. I also code the maps with collisions and scripts to create NPCs, Warps, and other misc. stuff. I want to expand my horizons and learn to do more than just 2D maps.

    I really love working for my friend and doing that style of art. I want to expand and learn more. He only uses Flash for his game but is thinking of moving to a new engine in the future. I kind of want to learn how to create maps for popular game engines so I can be ready to help him when he changes over. I started learning Unity, but what other engines could I explore? Is there any resourse I can use to learn?

    Besides his game, I want to learn Mapping to a point where I can create for another persons game. I want to learn 3D graphics, creating 3D models and maps. Some people have said Blendr can do this?

    TL:DR - I want to take what I already know (Creating 3D maps and coding/scripting them for an MMORPG), and expand on it so I can help create art for more than just my friends game, or so I can create BETTER art for his game. Is there any resourse I can use to learn? Does anyone have program/game engine suggestions that I can learn?

    submitted by /u/xXDevious
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing Monday #220 - Higher Accessibility

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:21 PM PDT

    What is Marketing Monday?

    Post your marketing material like websites, email pitches, trailers, presskits, promotional images etc., and get feedback from and give feedback to other devs.

    RULES

    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. This is only for feedback and improvement.

    • Clearly state what you want feedback on otherwise your post may be removed. (Do not just dump Kickstarter or trailer links)

    • If you post something, try to leave some feedback on somebody else's post. It's good manners.

    • If you do post some feedback, try to make sure it's good feedback: make sure it has the what ("The logo sucks...") and the why ("...because it's hard to read on most backgrounds").

    • A very wide spectrum of items can be posted here, but try to limit yourself to one or two important items in your post to prevent it from being cluttered up.

    • Promote good feedback, and upvote those who do! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback for you, even if you don't agree with it.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    All Previous Marketing Mondays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a Homebrew Dreamcast developer! Thought this Might be an Interesting Perspective for Some People Here!

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:38 PM PDT

    I need a good SciFi UI theme...

    Posted: 07 May 2018 11:58 AM PDT

    So I'm porting an old commercial game from 1991 called "Rules of Engagement" to newer systems and the UI needs a badly needed makeover. The original game was 320x200 with 16 colors. I have bumped that resolution to 1280x800 (4x) and have full 24 bit color at my disposal. (You can also stretch ans squeeze the display) One of the biggest issues I have is that the game used a Star Trek:TNG computer interface that, for copyright reasons, will not fly anymore. I'm looking for a nice modern SciFi theme I can implement... I have no problem buying the asset or even paying someone to do it. Anyone have any good ideas where to look?

    This is an example of the old UI

    This is another example.

    and another...

    submitted by /u/halkun
    [link] [comments]

    What sort of collision detection methods/techniques could I use for my game?

    Posted: 07 May 2018 04:01 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    So I am very much a beginner and am learning OpenGL by developing a top down, 2d racing game. I have rendered vehicles and tracks and such am now on to the collision detection part.

    I want to check when a car goes off the track and react accordingly. I am trying to work out the most appropriate way to detect collisions.

    My track is made up of many 128x128 tiles that represent a different part of the track i.e. a straight, a left hand turn, some grass etc.

    As my tiles are either track or not I feel I could do collision detection based on colour of the texture the vehicle is on (eg. grey is on road and green is on grass). I didn't find much information online about this so I get the feeling it is not recommenced? (a stack overflow comment agreed)

    So then I could do AABB detection which I feel works well for the straight areas of the track as I could check if the vehicle overlaps the edge of the track but what about corners?

    Anyway I am just looking at some appropriate methods or techniques I could look into.

    Any advice would be awesome.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/PM_Me_Compliments
    [link] [comments]

    Top Paid Unity Assets in 2018

    Posted: 07 May 2018 11:00 AM PDT

    What are some good settings to compress wav files without using standard wav compression?

    Posted: 07 May 2018 10:44 AM PDT

    Basically, I need to make wav files as small as possible so that they don't take up that much CD space because of certain reasons. Plus, the system I'm working for (Dreamcast) has very little memory for caching huge wav files. The engine I'm using (Quake engine) doesn't support compressed wav formats, so I need to know if there is any way I can edit the audio tracks or the settings to make it as low memory intensive as possible. I'm using Adobe Audition, but I can also work with Audacity as well. I know it kinda seems counter intuitive, but I also need the files to be under 2mb but still sound at least decent (a little hiss is okay).

    submitted by /u/rizzoislandgame
    [link] [comments]

    Using Gradle to build and version a UE4 project

    Posted: 06 May 2018 10:36 PM PDT

    How to use Twine and SugarCube to create interactive adventure games | Opensource.com

    Posted: 07 May 2018 04:04 AM PDT

    Making Forgotling Crowd Reactions in Forgotton Anne by ThroughLine Games | DevBlog

    Posted: 07 May 2018 06:17 AM PDT

    Is multiplayer map design a viable area to 'specialize' in?

    Posted: 07 May 2018 06:07 AM PDT

    Sounds weird but I'm really passionate about the mechanics of flow and design that goes into multiplayer map design, especially with regards to shooters. Is it viable to specifically pursue a career in it?

    If so, how would you go about building a portfolio? Sure you can make maps that look like they play well but without a game to build it in, it's kind of a shot in the dark, no?

    submitted by /u/smittyboytellem
    [link] [comments]

    New ECS Framework for 2D games based on Kha/Haxe

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:07 PM PDT

    Something like Garageband?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 04:09 PM PDT

    Hey guys I dont do much music since I am a digital painter but I wanted to try to compose a tune or two for a game. Can you recommend me a program like Garage Band for Windows that comes with its own library of instruments to work with? Preferably under 100$?

    submitted by /u/PigTailSock
    [link] [comments]

    Best practices for version control / keeping back ups of project folders?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:57 PM PDT

    I've known for a while that my practices regarding keeping backups of my project folders is woefully inefficient. In a nutshell, I make a periodical backup on an external drive (meaning I've got x complete backups on a drive, which of course is a total waste of space) and also keep the newest version on a cloud service in case something really bad happens.

    I've done some research into better alternatives and version control (like git) seems to come up as a good solution, but I'm a big fan of keeping things organized on a physical drive.

    Ultimately, I'm trying to find a better way to keep things organized on a physical drive without needing to keep x full backups around when so many files remain unchanged between versions.

    What are your ways to keep your project versions and back ups organized, archived and safe?

    submitted by /u/dragondatingsim
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment