• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 31, 2018

    How I went from newbie to Software Engineer in 9 months while working full time learn programming

    How I went from newbie to Software Engineer in 9 months while working full time learn programming


    How I went from newbie to Software Engineer in 9 months while working full time

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 09:00 AM PDT

    Here is the post

    Happy to answer any questions here! :)

    submitted by /u/austintackaberry
    [link] [comments]

    Visual Studios - Solution Platform and Project Properties Running on x86 or x64?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 08:06 PM PDT

    I'm starting a new project in visual studios and I've noticed that the solution platform and project properties were set to x86 even though I'm running on a 64 bit machine. What's the difference between running my projects on x86 versus x64 in visual studios? Should I change it to x64?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Eurim
    [link] [comments]

    I want to make a learning Chat Bot?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 11:35 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit. I have been thinking of making a bot that learns from a conversation and on youtube it looks so easy, using C++ only to make this bot. How do I make a Bot that learns from you, or how do you make a bot in general?

    submitted by /u/Opiods680
    [link] [comments]

    What do I need to learn to become a Data Engineer?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 11:34 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Some background: I am a recent college graduate with a BS in Math and BS in Comp Sci. However, I have very little experience with data aside from one databases class I took.

    What languages, technologies, and core concepts need to be learned to be a data engineer?

    Does anyone have any resources or know of any practical roadmaps that teach the core concepts/idea/technologies pertinent to this job?

    submitted by /u/zeroskater45
    [link] [comments]

    Raw pointers versus Smart Pointers? (C++)

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 08:53 PM PDT

    When should raw pointers be used over smart pointers, if ever? What are the ideal cases to use smart pointers? I just learned about smart pointers and they seem to make memory management simpler.

    submitted by /u/SelMemoria
    [link] [comments]

    Finish Bachelor degree or Code Camp?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 11:01 PM PDT

    I have had this question the entire time I have been going to school. Should I do traditional schooling or look at something like a coding Bootcamp? After this summer I will have my associates degree. Up to this point I have really only found a couple of classes useful. I thought this would be a good time to rethink if I actually want to finish my bachelor's degree or do a coding Bootcamp. I worry however, that people won't look at a coding camp the same way they would a traditional degree and therefore make it hard to get a job. Thoughts on my current situation?

    submitted by /u/LeCheast
    [link] [comments]

    python function question

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 04:51 PM PDT

    I wrote this program (sorry if reddit's formatting screws with it):
    health = 100
    def downhealth(x):
    return health - int(x)
    downhealth(10)
    print(health)

    my intention is to subtract 10 from health for a total of 100
    essentially (health - 10) but in a different way

    sorry that I am such a noob, but I am here to learn

    submitted by /u/headreplacement
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommendations for a good beginner's guide to cookies/sessions management in Java/Spring Boot?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 09:10 PM PDT

    I'm writing a simple web application using Java, Spring Boot, Thymeleaf, and MySQL. I need to implement basic sign-in functionality, but I know virtually nothing about sessions or cookies in Java. I've looked at several articles and tutorials I've found online, but everything I've come across seems way over my head. What I really feel like I need is some kind of step-by-step tutorial, but I haven't seen anything like that. Any recommendations? The more beginner-friendly the better :-)

    submitted by /u/darkwind5
    [link] [comments]

    I've been scouring the internet and I still can't understand what SQL is used for. Could someone explain it to me?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 09:02 PM PDT

    I know it has a lot to do with databases, I just don't know so many companies need custom database applications. I figured at some point someone would come up with an all encompassing database application.

    I'm assuming since it's programming, it's building applications and since it's about databases, the applications being built are databases. I'm sure there's a whole lot of "wrong" in this paragraph, I'm hoping someone will correct me.

    I'm very interested in SQL, mainly because I'm already deep into learning Python and I was told they mix well together.

    submitted by /u/zeusophobia1
    [link] [comments]

    What do you personally prefer using when working with Bash, text editors and CLI/Terminals?. Are there certain tools that you use instead of others?.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 09:01 PM PDT

    Particulary when it comes to shell scripting in general, do you utilize 3rd party tools or just the typical on-board tools?.

    submitted by /u/StealthyRemington
    [link] [comments]

    To self-doubting developers: are you good enough? (Article)

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 12:42 PM PDT

    Should I pursue C#/.NET development as a potential career path, and if so how?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 10:55 AM PDT

    In the last few semesters of college, I have been getting ASP.NET courses for component-based software design principles and server-side web app development. It's been challenging but I enjoy it and I feel as though this is the first language/framework that I am familiar with to the degree that I can make some projects that I'm actually pretty proud of.

    Come summer break, I will have completed all of my coursework for C# stuff. What is the career market like for this technology, and what resources can I use to build on my current skills and ensure that I don't lose them in the meantime? I'm in Philadelphia for what it's worth, and ideally would like to find something in the city if I can.

    submitted by /u/codythomashunsberger
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading my programming tools

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 06:04 PM PDT

    I've been working on a project to teach myself programming whenever I can spare a couple of hours for a couple of years now. It started with a "Hello World" webpage, turned into a website for the beer-league hockey team that I play for. Now its a site encompassing the entire league with stats and a social media component where players and teams can post updates, pictures, link YouTube videos and social media accounts. At this point, the site has most of the features that I was planning on for this first round.

    My plan now is to go through my code, refactor it, and implement frameworks. When I started, I avoided frameworks as I saw them as shortcuts that could potentially prevent me from learning concepts by making things easy. At this point, I almost need Bootstrap to help my CSS, and I plan on researching PHP and JS frameworks as well. I want to change my coding habits to include tests for my code, error handling, and what happens when things go wrong rather than stopping at when things happen to go right.

    My question stems from /u/kamranahmed_se post on Modern Frontend Development in 2018. The roadmap in the article revealed several more frameworks and other tools that I simply wasn't aware of. For the most part I've been coding strictly using Notepad++ and uploading to a server (and hoping things work).

    I'm want to upgrade my tools and I'd like to read about your workflows and the tools that you use for programming.

    submitted by /u/glov0044
    [link] [comments]

    How can i print the items of a linked list in order?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 08:08 PM PDT

    Working on a homework assignment where i need to take the contents of an array, and input them into a linked list. Then, i need to print the linked list, one line at a time, using a loop. So far i have this :

    from arrays import Array from node import Node theArray = Array(10) for i in range(len(theArray)): #creates an array consisting of the numbers 1-10 theArray[i] = i + 1 print("The array structure:") print(theArray) head = Node(theArray[0], None) #beginning of the linked list tail = head for x in range(len(theArray)): tail.next = Node(theArray[x], tail) #adds the new node to the end of the list tail = tail.next print(tail.data) #traces the tail as the array is imported probe = head #creates a variable to iterate through the linked list while probe != None: print(probe.data) probe = probe.next 

    And im getting the output:

    The array structure: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10] tracing the tail: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 The linked structure: 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

    Can someone explain why the number 1 is printed twice?

    submitted by /u/Zelnz
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good machine learning books for Python?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 05:50 PM PDT

    I see this book from Packt on amazon, but I've heard some insidious things about Packt.

    submitted by /u/CamusWasGucciGang
    [link] [comments]

    SSD or more RAM ?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 11:36 PM PDT

    So i'm currently in search of a new laptop for programming, mostly android programming and building ROMs. I'm confused in considering two things.

    What is better for programming. Hdd+ssd or hdd+more ram. An example like 1.) hdd+8gb ram+ssd and 2.)hdd+16gb ram

    Maybe anyone can give me some information here. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/etrnal70
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a "Guess the Combination" game in Java, professor wants me to use constants for the guessing boundaries even though they change.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 05:35 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I can't seem to wrap my head around this one.

    We just learned loops in my class and we were given this lab. In the instructions he clearly states that he wants us to use the boundaries as constants so that he could change the constants and run the program successfully. But I'm confused, since the boundaries are supposed to change.

     

    Here's an example of what I'm supposed to be outputting:

    Guess #1: What is your guess from 100 to 200? 135

    Guess #2: What is your guess from 136 to 200? 180

    Guess #3 What is your guess from 135 to 179? 145

    Incorrect: Answer is 150.

     

    Any ideas? Appreciate any and all help, apologies if this is a super easy question and I'm being stupid.

    submitted by /u/puh-tey-toh
    [link] [comments]

    Python- help with multiple conditions in if statements.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 07:47 PM PDT

    import sys

    if len(sys.argv) == 1:

    print ("not enough arguments") 

    if sys.argv[1] != 'text' and 'text1':

    print ('Invalid path to file.') 

    else:

    print('correct') 

    When i: python program.py text1 , i get "invalid path to file." How do i include multiple conditions (like 4) in my program, so that when the correct text is typed, it comes up as correct?

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/spicydeadpeople
    [link] [comments]

    What is Neural Net's used for in C++?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 11:15 PM PDT

    I want to make my own deep learning bot using a neural net hence my obsession with the brain to like immortalize myself then post a personality of myself on the deep web using a free hosting site but does something like that get viruses?

    I really want to make this project but Cannot understand programing at all, I fail at Math and watch tutorials over and over again but don't get the concept at all, so I switched to Neural Nets and want to include that into a Chat bot, any help?

    submitted by /u/Opiods680
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some beginner python projects

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 03:47 AM PDT

    Hey, I have been doing python tutorials for quite a while now. I heard that doing projects is the best way to really learn it and enforce it. Anyways, do you people know of any good projects that I can try to make in python? Or direct me to a list of ones that are fun to do? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Melted_Cheese96
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Indeterminate Output [C++]

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 11:05 PM PDT

    I wrote some code for this /r/dailyprogrammer Pie challenge. However it seems that I don't always get output from it. I was hoping someone could tell me what is causing the seemingly non-deterministic output so I can learn what is going on.

    Code: https://pastebin.com/p81DfKgH

    My Outputs: https://i.imgur.com/M1Ggwi9.png

    submitted by /u/benmandude
    [link] [comments]

    mySQL Server install problems.... ;(

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 11:03 PM PDT

    I have been trying for over 3 weeks now to learn SQL. the only problem is that I have been stuck on the installation of MySQL for 3 weeks. I have done (in my opinion) plenty of research on downloading and setting up this program. does not seem too hard.

    when I open the start-up file, I go through the installation, term & conditions, yada yada. Once I get to the final installation tab a window pops up. This window should have my root password to connect to the MySQL server/database. the window does in fact pop up. but for about 1/4 of a second than disappears. Does anyone know how I could slow this window down to see its contents. Or is this information stored anywhere on my computer?

    submitted by /u/carter-the-amazing
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie Question: What's the most basic coding language to learn first for person who's never coded before?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 10:46 PM PDT

    I hear that C++, along with Java, are out of date. Python is something to get into right now. But, I just need a good foundation (even if it's outdated), so that I can advance to more modern programming languages.

    submitted by /u/HenryK81
    [link] [comments]

    While loop within while loop executes only once.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 10:41 PM PDT

    This code is in Java:

     while (!exit) { System.out.println("topicFound = " + topicFound); System.out.println("questionFound = " + questionFound); System.out.println("i = " + i); System.out.println("numTopics = " + numTopics); System.out.println("exit = " + exit); while (i < numTopics && !topicFound && !questionFound && !exit) { if (topic.contains("?")) { questionFound = true; } else if (topic.contains(interestingTopicList[i])) { topicFound = true; indexNum = i; } else if (topic.contains("exit")) { exit = true; } i++; } i = 0; if (questionFound) { questionFound = false; JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "I'll be asking the questions"); topicFound = false; } JOptionPane.showInputDialog("What's next?");} 

    Ok, hopefully I can explain this adequately. The first time this section of code runs, the while loop inside the while loop runs just fine, but after the first iteration, and with all values reset to 'True' values, the while loop is skipped, and I honestly can't work out why. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks everyone :)

    submitted by /u/SocialAcceptInsanity
    [link] [comments]

    Preparing for a job and learning programming

    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 09:06 AM PDT

    I have zero coding experience. I've recently started with "Introduction to programming with Python" on Udemy, because from what I've read Python is a good first language to learn.

    In terms of programming, I'd say i'm most interested in making iphone apps and maybe web development too. My end goal is to get a job (I'm prepared for that taking around 2 years) but if I could get a job sooner that would be better. I'm 26 with no job and no qualifications, so I can dedicate a lot of my time to learning programming.

    The Python course i'm learning at the moment is focused on making basic things like a calculator, countdown timer..etc. Realistically I want to learn stuff that I would need to know in a job.

    Should I give myself a few months to continue learning the basics of Python and then start learning a 2nd language like Java perhaps? Or should I focus on learning a particular area of Python that might be more suitable for a job.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/JRRCJRRC
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment