• Breaking News

    Saturday, December 2, 2017

    Why do websites have fixed Cookie notice? Do I need them if I don't save/use them but I have social networks on few pages? web developers

    Why do websites have fixed Cookie notice? Do I need them if I don't save/use them but I have social networks on few pages? web developers


    Why do websites have fixed Cookie notice? Do I need them if I don't save/use them but I have social networks on few pages?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 05:33 AM PST

    Why do all websites place div for Cookie notice as position fixed which only intere with page, wouldn't it be better for design and UX to just place Cookie notice in footer (including a button)? Or is this kinda written in law to be visible straight away?

    Also, my website doesn't use cookie, I don't have Analytics code or anything (checking in Chrom Application tab Cookies), but on two inner pages I have embed Youtube videos and I see that on those pages there really are cookies declared.

    Do I still need cookie notice on website and do I need them on all pages or only those pages with social network modules?

    submitted by /u/shkico
    [link] [comments]

    If You Think You Understand JavaScript Objects, Then you Should definitely Understand Object Prototypes.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 10:08 AM PST

    I created a small but challenging list of fun apps to build

    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 03:50 PM PST

    What are the best up to date ways to learn ASP.NET in C#?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 10:58 AM PST

    I am currently a web developer working in JavaScript and looking to pick up ASP.NET in C#. I am almost entirely new to C# and looking for good, relatively cheap options (so no bootcamps) to learn. My searching has turned up an older book 'Beginning ASP.NET 4 with C#' which seems good other than not covering MVC. As well as MVA. I'm mostly looking for other input or opinions on those options. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AlpineAvalanche
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to contribute to open source, but its a huge pain in the ass.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 10:01 AM PST

    I'm doing this in my spare time. I could work on my own projects, but I figured, what the hell, I might as well help out on existing projects.

    Every fucking time I clone the repo (according the project's instructions) there's always some configuration issues that I need to address. A missing file here, a misconfigured file there. It's so frustrating.

    Is this a normal part of contributing to open source? am I less likely to get problems with merely trying to set up the development environment in the first place if the project i'm helping out on is more fully developed?

    The repo says this is a passing build, but i'm not seeing it. It's not just a matter of running composer install and composer dump-autoload. Little changes. Stupid shit.

    I'm just looking for a different perspective here, or some advice.

    submitted by /u/dmfreelance
    [link] [comments]

    Cockpit API, Drupal API or Wordpress API?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 06:50 AM PST

    I wanted to create a blog system using Angular 2 for front-end. The challenge comes from the back-end development because there will be only me working on the project, although I can build my own APIs, I do not want to because it will take an enormous amount of time to maintain and develop. Also I do not want to take care of an admin page, where mostly just regular blogging tasks like Users, comments, and posts.

    I have made a well research in the last few days for a service that would take care of my back-end. Firebase, CloudCMS, DirectUS and Contentful are awesome but lack of extensibility and too pricey, also I do not want to depend on Saas. Horizon.io and RethinkDB is shutdown, and the community seems to be inactive recently.

    So I look back to the popular CMS and refine 3 options upon them: Drupal, Wordpress and Cockpit. I am thinking a lot about Cockpit for its API-first approach, Drupal API sounds appealing too but I don't like MySQL and plug it to Postgre has been reported slow performance issue. Wordpress API would be my last choice because there is not a chance I can make real-time database out of it (as I may think of it in the future).

    What is your suggestion? I would love to take it to account seriously.

    submitted by /u/manika456
    [link] [comments]

    What do you suggest for Bitcoin/Litecoin payments on your websites?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 03:12 PM PST

    Looking at WooCommerce support.

    submitted by /u/mycall
    [link] [comments]

    A little lost on what to do next any advice, tips and suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 03:05 PM PST

    So I have new to programming and I new to web development but I have taken Codecademy's HTML, CSS and JavaScript courses and I have completed Lambda School's free Intro to Web Development course and I have received a certificate for doing so but now I wondering what next and I am little lost! I know I want to learn the front-end portion of Web Development and then move on to the back-end portion of it but I don't know if should learn more or if I should practice by creating some creating some webpages and uploading to github. Thank You beforehand and sorry if this was long or if it made no sense.

    EDIT: Oh and I forgot (sorry) if you have any tips on how I can improve my workflow and become a better programmer in General please send them my way and it will be greatly appreciated. I am currently using Sublime and my system is a Late 2011 2.4 Ghz i5 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and 1TB of storage! Thanks again :)

    submitted by /u/trevinshu97
    [link] [comments]

    My html is disappearing when I open in browser

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 01:47 PM PST

    I'm doing one of the projects for a Udemy course I'm taking in which you have to make an interactive todo list and whenever I open my application in browser the tab has a perpetual loading sign and the html disappears after a few seconds whereas the javascript works just fine.

    submitted by /u/Titanicdragon
    [link] [comments]

    Synchronous VS Asynchronous Callback functions

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 01:34 PM PST

    I look like a zombie after work (Red eyes, bags under the eyes)

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 12:33 PM PST

    I'm a web developer and looking for advice from other developers about what they do to combat looking terrible ( specifically the face )

    I take eye breaks every 15 minutes, thanks to this great site e.ggtimer.com

    And get up and do stretches every 15-30 mins.

    I'm staying away from coffee and trying to drink as much water as possible.

    and getting 7-8 hours sleep per day, I'm considering doing a short siesta after work.

    submitted by /u/James1215
    [link] [comments]

    Help, Can't Pick Between Complimentary Native App or Web App/PWA

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 12:17 PM PST

    Hi All,

    A friend and myself are making a web app that is a booking system, it also will have a complimentary application that will go along with it.

    He does backend and middleware, I do design/business/architect. He's good with whatever language for anything, but he's not a front end dev.

    We have limited resources and I'm not sure if we should go with Native Apps vs Web app/PWA for the complimentary piece.

    We could use something like Supernova Studio or Qwikly so he needs to write less code with Native apps.

    or we can push the boundry of native apps/PWAs and go with a pretty fancy web application.

    My issue with that is that it's very tough to find above average front end devs that are comfortable with making something that works more like a native app, not to mention all the browser compatibility issues that come along with that...

    I suppose I could also outsource any additional IOS/Android UI building I need.

    It just seems like we're spreading ourselves thin trying to cover all the bases.

    We don't have a ton of cash....

    I need advice.

    submitted by /u/lostmy10mmsocket
    [link] [comments]

    Do social media image sizes effect speed?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 11:38 AM PST

    Might be a dumb, obvious question, but when you're uploading pictures to say Facebook, does the size of the picture you upload effect how quickly it loads?

    On like a timeline, for example, you'd have different pictures uploaded by different people all on one page. Are the pics shown on timeline before clicking all downsized by Facebook, and the actual loading time would come into effect once you actually click the photo?

    Kind of just interested in how it works if anyone has insight. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Joecorcoran
    [link] [comments]

    Osmek CMS

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 11:30 AM PST

    5 years ago, I paid a designer to create my website, and he used a cloud-hosted CMS service called Osmek. My site has stopped working, and after digging around, it appears that Osmek isn't responding. Their website seems to be down, too.

    I have searched quite a bit and cannot find any news about them, so I'm not sure if they're just having an outage or if they are out of business. I would love some insight. I can't reach the original developer or I'd ask him for guidance. Many thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/HelloMyNameIsBrad
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a Website/Service that allows me to paste a URL to simulate a slower internet connection speed to different websites?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 10:58 AM PST

    Hey!

    I'm wondering if there's a website where you simply just paste a URL and specify a connection speed to simulate how fast the website loads at that speed the first time it's launched?

    Perhaps a Google Chrome extension or similar?

    I'm asking because, I'm working on websites so often, I have absolutely no idea if they're loading quickly for other people since I have really fast internet speeds (320 down, 50 up).

    Being able to simulate 1-5 Mbit internet connection speeds or similar..

    Thanks!

    EDIT: Guess I got my answer, thank you.

    submitted by /u/jannikn
    [link] [comments]

    how to connect my website to my page

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 10:09 AM PST

    I have two things that I want to connect

    I want the content from wordpress to load into that domain I tried allowing CORS from the header of this wordpress page and setting redirect option on the domain but it still says crossorigin is not allowed. I have full access to both the wordpress site and the domain, how can I do it.

    submitted by /u/thekokiz
    [link] [comments]

    How to use React with CSS styling and animations?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 09:31 AM PST

    Hey all, I was hoping that you could describe your approach to adding CSS styling, animations, transitions, etc to your React apps? I've been taking Stephen Grider's React courses on udemy and he adds some very light styling using Bootstrap classes inside the React components, but I would like to make my projects more presentable. What is your method for CSS in React? Do you have any good resources or articles that you could refer me to? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/fire-ferrets
    [link] [comments]

    How do web apps like google docs achieve real-time editing?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 10:37 PM PST

    Is this possible to do on a smaller scale?

    submitted by /u/TheFlyingPotato262
    [link] [comments]

    5 Massive Benefits Of Identity As A Service For Developers

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 12:48 PM PST

    How to write your own optimized grid similar to Bootstrap but with less bloat and more control?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 08:52 AM PST

    I have been using Bootstrap for a few years now and in even though I understand more advanced HTML and CSS I would struggle hard to create layout without Bootstrap.

    I am looking for something that would help me generate customizable and optimal grid so that final code is small and from which I can continue to improve. I am ok with Bootstrap way of thinking, for example, in Bootstrap it is easy and fast to write elements as .col-md-6 in HTML. Also, my boss is a huge Bootstrap fan so everything I would say against Bootstrap wouldn't be ok hehe.

    How can I generate my own code in SASS that is similar but so that I can skip generating classes I don't need to use like "col-md-1, col-md-2, col--offset-), basically to have more control over what is being generated and in the end to have stripped down layout (less code) alla Bootstrap? I am aware that there is a tool for Gulp which strips down unused code but that is not what I mean.

    I appreciate any recommendations/links

    submitted by /u/shkico
    [link] [comments]

    Website with web app learning links?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 08:40 AM PST

    Anyone have a link to a website with a bunch of differently colored squares, each one with a web app development language lessons created to assist learners? I have tried searching for it but to no avail. All i remember are the squares and the first few squares had CSS, HTML, JS, etc but the 20+ other squares had other languages.

    submitted by /u/wavegate
    [link] [comments]

    Can I bring my Wix design to Weebly?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 11:41 AM PST

    I have a small website that I made just for fun for a little wrestling thing with friends of mine but what's annoying with Wix are the ads that sticks there. At least with Weebly, there is one ad but it's at the very bottom so it's less annoying. Is there any ways for me to do so?

    submitted by /u/Suplewich
    [link] [comments]

    What "relic from the past" web tech are we stuck with?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 08:38 PM PST

    I remember reading an article about how certain tokens in UA strings (like "khtml", "gecko", or "mozilla") can't be deprecated because of issues with backwards compatibility.

    What other things are less than ideal, but it's too late, and or difficult, to change?

    submitted by /u/haroldtwilkins
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment