• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 3, 2017

    I'm a Senior 3D Character Artist in the AAA gaming industry for 7 years. I've worked at Telltale, Tripwire, WB and more. I still have a fulltime industry job but am working on my own Tactical RPG. AMA

    I'm a Senior 3D Character Artist in the AAA gaming industry for 7 years. I've worked at Telltale, Tripwire, WB and more. I still have a fulltime industry job but am working on my own Tactical RPG. AMA


    I'm a Senior 3D Character Artist in the AAA gaming industry for 7 years. I've worked at Telltale, Tripwire, WB and more. I still have a fulltime industry job but am working on my own Tactical RPG. AMA

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 09:12 AM PST

    A little history of me, I went to Full Sail University at 18 years old (2009) for about 19 months and received my Bachelor's degree. From there I landed my first job working remotely for a studio in Vancouver, CAN. As time went on I kept going from one job to the next, I only ever owned what I could fit in my car because I moved so much. Even eventually returning to the Vacouver studio at one point. I currently work at Tripwire Interactive which I can say hands down is the best studio I've ever worked for. I am also married and have 3 fur children. My dogs; Shiva, Ifra and Athena https://i.imgur.com/qE3GZ9f.jpg

    I have seen just about everything in my industry, from the layoffs, to making millions on an app (the small studio I worked for, not me!) So feel free to ask me anything from 3D art, living the nomad life for gaming jobs, critique of your portfolio, advice on how to get your foot in the industry.

    You can check out my art here: www.artstation.com/anthony3d The work is a bit outdated as I'm under a lot of NDAs.

    submitted by /u/ProeliumTactics
    [link] [comments]

    Hi Guys! I have 60 minutes free sounds from 10 locations in New York City for you recorded! Feel free to use it!

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 04:38 AM PST

    How was this made? What specific tools can make a webpage with a 3d interaction like this?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 07:09 PM PST

    Content vs Polishing?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 06:27 AM PST

    I am currently working on a game and (like all of us) have very little time for it. I also want to release it in a reasonable timeframe.

    It's a puzzle game, which is already perfectly playable and has a good bunch of levels that take a few hours overall to solve. But I know that a lot of aspects of its core mechanics are not yet explored there, and there still remains a huge amount of fun levels I can possibly make. I have lots of concepts for them. And if I add them, I'll probably come up with even more ideas.

    However, when I think about games I like and remember, it's usually not for their content and mechanics. Some examples:

    • The first thing I remember about Snakebird is how everything is colorful, squishy and animated, not its gameplay.
    • I remember A Hat in Time for interacting with stuff on your spaceship, not some particular levels.
    • I don't remember a lot about maze mechanics of The Witness, but I certainly remember those very rare moments when stuff around you aligns.

    Maybe it's just me, but this raises a question. Should I use my remaining time to make more levels and explore more mechanics in my game? Or should I spend it polishing what I already have, adding juicy animations, little secrets and so on?

    I am interested in any opinions.

    submitted by /u/smthamazing
    [link] [comments]

    What was that small/awesome/8bit game engine called?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 06:34 AM PST

    It was posted in here as far as I remember, but I didn't bookmark it unfortunately and I don't remember its name. It had sprite editor, map editor, simple code editor, sound editor all in one. Everything was in beautiful 8bit style. And the games were saved as PNG files, or they could be exported also. Anyone remember?

    submitted by /u/Luckychatt
    [link] [comments]

    12 days away from releasing my first game on steam *panic intensifies*

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 03:48 AM PST

    Hey everyone,

    We're 12 days away from releasing our first game, Purrfect Date, on Steam. It's taken 2 years to get to this stage, we've learnt a lot, and now we're at the really scary point of releasing it into the world. I coded the game, and my girlfriend wrote it - it's a visual novel / dating sim. We originally thought it was going to take 3 months, oh how little we knew.

    It's weird because, while I feel like we've done everything we possibly could to market the game, I'm still massively stressing about how the release will go.

    I guess I'm just now realising that while you can do everything in your power to secure coverage, approach influencers, and grow an audience, but when it comes to how your game will perform and be received at launch, it's completely out of your control. You just have to hand it over and hope it all pays off.

    I don't have much to say other than - THIS IS SCARY. RELEASING GAMES IS SCARY. WORKING ON SOMETHING FOR YEARS WITHOUT KNOWING HOW IT WILL BE RECEIVED IS SCARY.

    lol.

    Also, I've been reading this subreddit basically daily throughout the game's production, so thank you, everyone, for being in this, with me together. It's been really motivating and grounding to hear of relatable struggles and victories.

    Now I'm going to fix the last few bugs and keep working on the launch trailer.

    submitted by /u/OliverAge24Artist
    [link] [comments]

    Lifeline like text-based games

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 10:55 AM PST

    How does one go about creating an interactive text-based game like Lifeline (available on iOS and Android afaik)? I'm either going to use iOS's native UIKit, Spritekit or Unity.

    I'm not sure exactly how the story's flow can be programmed so that the story changes paths as the user responds differently to events.

    What are the typical methods for creating similar games? Anything else I need to keep an eye on?

    submitted by /u/DaRealGiraffe
    [link] [comments]

    What keeps you motivated?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 03:42 AM PST

    Game Development is notorious for having periods of time where work is boring or a grind and it's times like these that your passion for the work wanes. I often leave pieces of work for ages before going back to them, when I do and when I get back into it I work hard but there are these periods when I just don't write any code or design anything.

    I was wondering, what does everyone on this subreddit do to keep themselves motivated?

    Personally I set myself daily tasks to do the day before. This helps me get through chunks of my work by really focusing on certain features.

    submitted by /u/Flayzian
    [link] [comments]

    what is server requirements to run multiplayer mobile game +10k players ?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 06:09 AM PST

    i want to start multiplayer mobile game project, real time battles like moba games without long time (3-5min per battle) but i dont have idea on server requirements to run it example 10k players, battle 2vs2, 3vs3 , player control character like league of legends

    submitted by /u/anirnet
    [link] [comments]

    Facebook disabling app invites soon.. is there any point in facebook integration anymore for smaller indie games?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 08:24 AM PST

    With the release of the Facebook SDK version 4.28.0, App Invites is deprecated. It will be supported until February 5, 2018. https://developers.facebook.com/products/sharing/app-invites

    I think this will be a major change in how a lot of games grow in popularity. Most top games have some sort of incentivized social invite, for example 500 gold for an invite and booster boxes for invites.

    I actually spent the last two months making changes to my nearly complete game with 2-3 months more planned to hope to organically grow with incentivized social invites. After reading a few weeks ago about how facebook has already been making integration less important in this mobilefreetoplay article article, so much so that toon blast does not even have a social map, I felt maybe I was wasting my time but still decided to keep going with it.

    Now app invites will be removed before my game is even out. I haven't actually messed with the facebook api since I have been busy redesigning my UI and how some mechanics will interact but now I am wondering if I should just trash the whole facebook integration plan. I feel like there was only going to be a small amount of users actually making use of it in my small indie game but now that number is going to be insanely low.

    Will small indie games have any chance at actually having enough facebook friends to justify social features? Will advertising prices go up with less organic installs or will they go down since you get less users per advertised install? Will facebook integration be less common in games in the future or am I overestimating how much this will affect things?

    submitted by /u/gamemaker22
    [link] [comments]

    Nursing -> CS/Game Dev?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 11:11 AM PST

    Hi, I was wondering what possible things I can do with a compsci degree? It's always been a dream of mine to make games, and I know I would be really great at it. Is this an avenue I can pursue after I get my Computer Science degree? Otherwise, what other jobs are directly associated with a Bachelors in CompSci. I'm currently a sophomore nursing major (male), finishing up my first semester. I like what i'm doing, but i don't feel like it's my calling. Will I be a year behind in this case? Most of my Gen Eds are done. Lastly, I got probably a 22 or so on the math portion of the ACT, and I'm not a huuuuuge fan of math to begin with. What kind of math is involved? I'm sort of intelligent in logical thinking, i've always really excelled at processes, where there is a specific guideline to follow. So, thank you in advance. Let me know your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/CirocOrNah
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on why we are postponing our Early Access release + creating custom leaderboards

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 10:22 AM PST

    Game design asset creation times.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 10:03 AM PST

    I'm in the process of writing my thesis and I've been trying to get a hold of some research papers on game asset creation, like how long they usually take to make and stuff like that. Can anyone point me in the direction where I might find such papers/articles? I've tried searching around on IEEEXplore & ACM but I've yet to find anything. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms or something.

    submitted by /u/itspronounceddaytn
    [link] [comments]

    Games for education

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 09:51 AM PST

    I am not a developer, but I would like to have a couple of apps with different level of difficulties to teach high school level science. I know a bit of html and webdesigning but I think I can't do it myself. Where can I start this? How much such an idea would cost? Where can I find resources? Should try myself?

    submitted by /u/wymco
    [link] [comments]

    I'm the director of the National Committee on Games Policy AMA

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 10:11 PM PST

    Hello I'm Kenneth, the director of the National Committee on Games Policy which was announced to the public this week.

    I am here to respond to this story by Jeff Grubb at GamesBeat- https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/01/national-committee-for-games-policys-backstory-politics-religion-and-the-art-of-war-2/

    After this story was posted, Mr. Grubb has not responded to me via email, phone, and multiple messages on twitter as to why he did not properly verify my claims or accept any of the proofs (or even ask for the proofs). As such, as formally invited GamesBeat, other media, and members of the public whether they be gamedev or gamers for questions about myself and/or the NCGP.

    The official announcement is here: http://thencgp.com/the-national-committee-for-games-policy-invites-jeff-grubb-and-the-public-to-a-live-ama-with-the-director/

    And in case you were wondering, we're a public policy think tank responding to the lootcrate gambling crisis. Fire away. You can also tweet to us, and we respond as soon as we see it.

    submitted by /u/thencgp
    [link] [comments]

    Game dev. newbie. Using Unreal Engine 4. How can I share my Level so that I can be better helped with learning?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 12:45 AM PST

    Ok so I'm trying to imitate the end result here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/QuickStart/4/index.html My assets aren't aligned to the floor. I have the PlayerStart like the highest from the floor. The tables and chairs are either underneath or over the floor. I want to share what I've done to the people here. Maybe someone will help me? I have it the Level saved. I want to share it to other Unreal Engine users so that it's easier for us to troubleshoot my work.

    Thanks and looking forward to you guys' replies!

    submitted by /u/garydelarosa
    [link] [comments]

    Soundtrack Sunday #218 - Weekend Jam

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 08:04 PM PST

    Post music and sounds that you've been working on throughout this week (or last (or whenever, really)). Feel free to give as much constructive feedback as you can, and enjoy yourselves!

    Basic Guidelines:

    • Do not link to a page selling music. We are not your target audience.
    • Do not link to a page selling a game you're working on. We are not your target audience.
    • It is highly recommended that you use SoundCloud to host and share your music.

    As a general rule, if someone takes the time to give feedback on something of yours, it's a nice idea to try to reciprocate.

    If you've never posted here before, then don't sweat it. New composers of any skill level are always welcome!


    Previous Soundtrack Sundays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Help with choosing a game engine please. (amateur question)

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 08:13 PM PST

    TL:DR at bottom :D

    Hello everyone. I've been a long-time aspiring game developer, toying around with this and that but generally stuck in tutorial-hell. Recently, I buckled down and really started making some progress, and I'm super happy that I've managed to get some sort of foundation for a game I've been dreaming up done using Corona / Lua, but I'm at a point where I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a pre-made engine (I don't know that "engine" is the right word) out there to help me solve a lot of little niggling issues I'm having.

    The type of game I'm making is essentially a NES-SNES style RPG, so I understand RPG-maker or game-maker might be obvious choices, but I have a number of mechanics I want to implement and I don't think it will be versatile enough for my needs. Currently I've been making it in Corona / Lua, and I've got to a point where I can generate the map, load a sprite-sheet, walk around the map, and transition to another map. I'm having issues with performance and probably memory leaks due to my amateur programming skills.

    TL:DR - Does anyone know of an engine or whatever that can give me a good foundation for a tile-based scrolling game? I don't mind if I need to move away from Corona to learn Unity or whatever it may be. Essentially I want to make the game for mobile with the option of a steam / PC port down the road. Thanks so much for any advice :D

    submitted by /u/ButtermanJr
    [link] [comments]

    Python Arcade 1.2.2 library has been released

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 08:47 PM PST

    Arcade 1.2.2, a Python library for easy-to-write 2D games, has been released.

    Release Notes

    There are many code examples available.

    Bug Fixes

    • Issue 143: Error thrown when using scroll wheel
    • Issue 128: Fix infinite loop in physics engine
    • Issue 127: Fix bug around warning with Python 3.6 when imported
    • Issue 125: Fix bug when creating window on Linux

    Enhancements

    • Issue 147: Fix bug building documentation where two image files where specified incorrectly
    • Issue 146: Add release notes to documentation
    • Issue 144: Add code to get window and view port dimensions
    • Issue 139: Add documentation on what collision_radius is
    • Issue 131: Add example code on how to do full-screen games
    • Issue 113: Add example code showing enemy turning around when hitting a wall
    • Issue 67: Improved support and documentation for joystick/game controllers
    submitted by /u/pvc
    [link] [comments]

    What do you use for creating art and animations?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 05:56 PM PST

    I feel like a leaf in the wind. I'm trying to figure out what process and style to do for my first game. I'm trying to decide between doing 3d and 2d. For 3d I'm thinking blender to do the models, animations and texturing them using gimp.

    Alternatively if I do 2d I was thinking of using inkscape to do 2d assets but I don't know what to animate with them.

    I would love some ideas of what tools work well for you guys. I am really not sure the path to go down.

    I prefer to do 3d but I don't know if the learning curve is too hard for my first game. I went through some tutorials and was able to model, texture and simple animate a basic low poly character. However it seems like a ton of work for one character.

    I am also trying to decide between Godot or unity but that's a different debate.

    submitted by /u/zugbee
    [link] [comments]

    One large image versus using tiles to create background?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 11:42 PM PST

    I'm working on a 2D side scroller game.

    Most of the tutorials I've been watching use sprite/tile maps to create backgrounds out of those tiles.

    Is there any reason I can't create a level's background out of one image?

    For example, if I have a 100x50 grid with 32x32 tiles... could I just create an image that is 1600x800 pixels and use that as the background for the level?

    I believe that in Tiled you can add 'objects' to an object layer on top of that background image to interact with in code.

    Perhaps this is a common technique - I just want to make sure I'm not missing something!

    submitted by /u/DecayingExponential
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment