• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 31, 2017

    Big 4 Discussion - December 31, 2017 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - December 31, 2017 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - December 31, 2017

    Posted: 30 Dec 2017 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - December 31, 2017

    Posted: 30 Dec 2017 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What are your career goals for 2018?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 09:28 AM PST

    Top cities for software engineers

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 03:59 PM PST

    If you had to rank the top ten cities for a new grad software engineer based on potential to future ones job prospects what would they be?

    submitted by /u/hopefulcoder
    [link] [comments]

    Senior devs, what do you do on a daily basis?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 03:09 PM PST

    I'm an intermediate dev trying to become a senior dev/basically get better. Question is open-ended but some possible things

    • Habits/morning routine and/or evening routine?
    • Distribution of time re: actual coding per day in work/side projects?
    • Specific skillsets that are underrated (for me this was client/team communication/persuasion (being a good person when trying to get your point across.)
    • Cool non-programming things/purchases or hobbies that have helped you?
    submitted by /u/danimoth2
    [link] [comments]

    Summarize this subreddit in one comment

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 10:29 AM PST

    Outside of investment banks, how is the NYC tech environment?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 10:02 AM PST

    I'm mostly interested in the salaries, hours, and relative ease in changing jobs compared to a bigger tech city in California or Seattle.

    submitted by /u/constant_time1
    [link] [comments]

    What is there for the very low aspiring?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 03:54 PM PST

    Hello all!

    I'm a mid twenties student who just finished his first semester of a 2 year programming degree. The degree is 80-90 percent programming classes. When all is done Ill have 4 years of Java, c#, web dev, along with sql and a couple other odds and ends.

    I read a lot of posts hear about super ambitious people looking to make X, learn X new thing, etc.

    That's not me at all.

    My home and cars are paid off, and if you give me a season pass to the mountain, season pass to the gym, and some video games, I'm pretty content.

    It'd be awesome to come out of this 2 year program with the skills to find an easy related part-time job (20 hours) that paid me at least 20 bucks an hour. If I could do it from home as well I'd be just tickled. 1600 bucks a month leaves me enough money to do everything I want to do.

    Does anyone have any recommendations for skills to pick up or certain avenues to focus on? I really enjoy c# and Java. Web development is meh but I'm guessing that's probably the easier route to some type of part time job down the road.

    I don't have much concept of what this type of work is going to look like so any recommendations with my goals in mind would be great. I have tons of free time right now.

    submitted by /u/1990myreddit
    [link] [comments]

    How's engineering at Stitch Fix?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 05:44 PM PST

    Interviewing for full time soon. Glassdoor doesn't seem to have many reviews from engineers yet. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/ILikeMyWineWhite
    [link] [comments]

    Finding a job that offers visa sponsorship

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 10:34 AM PST

    Living in Paris, I had a great experience in San Francisco for 2 years but I got unlucky at the H1B lottery, twice. I have a pretty good resume with a broad range of skills (backend and mobile development, infrastructure/devops and recently blockchain skills with Solidity).

    I am dreaming of being allowed to work again back there, in SF or in the Valley.

    Which path would you advice me to take to be able to work in the US 1 year from now?

    submitted by /u/matmhs
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think about working for a marketing agency?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 12:21 PM PST

    I just did an interview for one. The concept is entirely new to me, apparently they make ads (shooting them and all), and also need developers for promo pages and shit, which can actually get complex as sometimes they'll make a whole ecommerce website.

    What got me interested is that in the interview the working environment honestly seemed great (I asked to meet the team), the office was great too, the commute would be really short, and they will probably pay well.

    However, it's not actually a tech company so... not sure what that's like. I'd apparently be working on various smaller projects instead of continually iterating/improving on one as I'm used to. I was also told straight up that their engineers suck in the interview lol.

    Would you go for that?

    submitted by /u/DelusionalBlackwash
    [link] [comments]

    Spotify summer android internship

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 03:34 PM PST

    Any idea the level of difficulty for technical interview or the interview process in general. I submitted the form, but I'm worried if they won't call me

    submitted by /u/gogoxgo
    [link] [comments]

    How viable is going back to college for a second degree in Computer Science?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 06:46 PM PST

    I posted this over at r/personalfinance and I was told it might do some good to post this here.

    I am 21 years old and I graduated about 6 months ago with a degree in Business Administration from a small private school. I was lucky enough to have my father pay for most of the tuition that was not covered with my scholarships, leaving only a loan of about 9k to be paid back (of which I only owe about 5k), giving me a $160 payment every month.

    I wanted to do Computer Science since the beginning, but I settled for Business due to the fact that my University did not offer any engineering/technology degrees at the time, and was the only one that offered me enough scholarships to where I could actually afford going to college.

    Now after graduating, I have been working at a sales job making about 37-40k a yr (varies due to bonus), and I have been realizing how bad I regret not having found another way to do what I really wanted, specially due to the fact that a CS degree would have probably given me more job options and more salary on top of that.

    I have been thinking about the possibility of somehow going back and getting a second degree, and this time maybe go the path I wanted to go in the beginning.

    At this point I have little to no idea on how that would be possible, and what financial implications that would be for me, since I would obviously not be able to work full time, and I am also the first generation of my family in the U.S., which means I have no financial support from my family (excluding emergencies of course).

    At this point in my life, is that even possible? Should I throw this idea away and just try to make the best of a career in business?

    Also, bonus question for anyone who might know of the subject, but not specifically related to finance, do you know how going back to school for a second degree would work for a resident who's not a US citizen?

    Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/seiyamaple
    [link] [comments]

    Women in programming - Question!

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 10:07 AM PST

    Hello! I am a young professional and have been working in the financial industry with a fortune 500 firm for two years now. I have dabbled in learning intro to CS for several months. My goal is to eventually move into a developer role, possibly with a financial firm. Are there any good scholarships or programs to aid women or people in general to learn [for free?] ? Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/NytaraHoTS
    [link] [comments]

    Freelancing while salaried?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 01:06 PM PST

    I'm currently salaried at my current gig and there's a part of my contract that says I can't hold a position that directly affects my roles at X company.

    Would I face any repercussions if I freelance to clients unrelated to my company's domain? Is there any way my company can find out I'm working for someone else via tax forms or anything?

    submitted by /u/Imposter1
    [link] [comments]

    Winter/Spring Internships. When is the right time apply(Timeline)

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 04:40 PM PST

    When is the best time to apply to spring internships. For Example, If I wanted to work a Winter/Spring Internship 2018 when is the best time to apply.

    submitted by /u/DAVE437
    [link] [comments]

    Should I drop out of CS or Math?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 10:34 AM PST

    basically, I'm in my first year of university. For my intro to CS course, we used Python as the programming language. I ended up with a 47-50 in the course. It was terrible considering that I worked for 5 hours on weekdays and at least 10 hours on the weekends. On top of that, I asked for help from a lot of people. My discrete math course didn't go great as well. However, for my calculus course, I finished with a 90. I'm really confused about my options right now. I don't know if I should do math since I'm only good at calc (yet I put so much work in it) but not discrete. Should I do humanities instead (Since that's something I enjoy)? Or should I stick with a tech/math degree?

    submitted by /u/thirtytout
    [link] [comments]

    How should i explain my 5 gap years

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 07:23 PM PST

    I can't go through this dilemma anymore which is costing time and causing insomnia- would like to work on a certain goal right from the start of 2018

    i f***d it up- 2013 freshman in civil engineering(Which i'm forced into)- didn't make it-> had to do my freshman year again- finally dropped out of college in 2015

    since then, I started learning about computers and tech which was my fav since childhood but never got to learn and spent 3 years learning everything unofficially without a single certificate.

    So after 5 years(2 years of failed graduation + 3 years of missing record about the events i did), I'm planning for college during Fall 2018 in US.

    As an International student, I have 2 options ahead of me-

    1. Go to community college, work hard for GPA to prove good university that i'm still motivated in my genuinely interested field and finally get transferred after 2 years.

    2. Write ACT/SAT- apply to mediocre(i know there's no chance for ivy league though my high school grades are very good) universities and start my freshman directly in them but i seriously doubt if any University would be interested in looking at my application after a failed graduation attempt coupled with 5 years of gap.

    Which career path should i choose ?

    If going into the direct University route, How should i explain my 5 year gap and failed graduation ?

    submitted by /u/maja143
    [link] [comments]

    Job Market In Wisconsin For New Developers?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 07:05 PM PST

    Hi everyone, I'm highly considering attending a bootcamp and then trying to find work within the Milwaukee or Madison area. I currently hold a non-cs degree and have unrelated professional experience.

    I'm really curious as to what the job market is like in Wisconsin for new developers? I would love to hear your thoughts regarding this market.

    submitted by /u/crazy10203
    [link] [comments]

    Do places like Jane Street, Two Sigma etc pay better than top silicon valley firms?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 01:50 AM PST

    Was just looking for some clarity between the difference in compensation between software engineering roles, as in most threads I see here there seems to be some meshing between quants and developers etc.

    submitted by /u/Zezd
    [link] [comments]

    Seriousness of online courses?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 06:35 PM PST

    I was wondering how much weight taking an online course would have on a resume? For example, I'm taking Udemy's "Web Developer Bootcamp" and so far (I'm still in the beginning of it), I feel like I'm learning a lot from it.

    To be honest, I haven't been on this sub for all that long (first year in college, only a couple of months since I decided I want to do CS as a career), but from what I can gather, having personal projects is really important so I'm going to try to make a website and do other CS personal projects soon. But I was just wondering if having the course that teaches how to make a website (or lets say another course if I were to take one in the future) would be worth putting on a resume (especially since I don't have that many other things on it right now due to lack of experience, though I'm working on it!).

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/suchwow-_-
    [link] [comments]

    Currently hold an MS-Chemistry wanting to transition into CS as it has been my passion ever since i can remember. Suggestions?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 02:39 PM PST

    As the title states I have a MS in Chemistry with a concentration in Analytical Chem and a BS in Biochemistry. I have always wanted to grasp the natural world around me and saw CS as something that was not as challenging and didnt warrant a formal degree. Ever since i was a child i would be tinkering with Apple IIs which evolved into learning basic bash as i got my first PC with windows 95. In essence i think its time to pursue my passions now that i have fulfilled my need to understand the natural sciences.

    So what do you guys think? Should i go for another formal degree? (really dont want to go through getting an undergrad again) Or should i try to self learn and enter the industry that way? I have an interest in data science, so thats somewhere i hope to get my foot in the door. I was employeed as a chemist for some time but chose to leave as of late. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ImmunotherapeuticTag
    [link] [comments]

    Possible to get a decent job without github?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 06:09 PM PST

    I could study all day but im really not interested in uploading all my code online or making side projects just for showing off. Actually im not interested in side projects at all since i would rather use the time for actual extra work. Does that harm the resume process a lot?

    submitted by /u/sabbaton95
    [link] [comments]

    Side project contains political elements. Will this hurt me if I list it when applying to jobs?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 05:26 PM PST

    I created a phone app that helps people see the gun concelead carry laws of their state. It's rather popular and I wanted to know if it would hurt my chances of employment if I listed it as a side project. I'm graduating this upcoming may and I'll be applying for jobs in seattle. I completely understand that there are gun issues in this country and I'm afraid someone might be biased towards me about my project thinking that I'm taking a political stance.

    Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm applying to jobs soon and any help is much appreciated

    submitted by /u/vixient
    [link] [comments]

    What companies hire new grads after New Years?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 05:12 PM PST

    I understand most big companies do it in the fall, but what companies do it in the new year?

    submitted by /u/uoftstudentindistres
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment