• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 23, 2022

    Has anyone seen games with the same assets in them?

    Has anyone seen games with the same assets in them?


    Has anyone seen games with the same assets in them?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 03:40 AM PST

    With the popularity of Unity's Asset store, has anyone actually seen/played any games with assets that they recognize from the store?

    submitted by /u/ApolloPlease
    [link] [comments]

    Just got a request for an interview for a programming position I thought was out of my league. Wth do I do to prepare, its tomorrow?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 07:49 AM PST

    I'm really nervous just looking at the email asking if I am available tomorrow for a video interview

    This is what the email says

    "As a part of the recruitment process, I would like to invite you to a 45-60 minutes video interview. The goal of this interview is to introduce you to Funcom and give you a good overview of the company and the role, as well as to hear a bit more about yourself and your experience"

    I'm just really nervous because I did not expect to even be looked at, considering that they are looking for c++ programmers for unreal. I only applied because they asked for blueprint as well. I only know a little c++ I mainly code in unity which is c#.

    I'm honestly think about declining or ghosting to save myself the embarrassment. Anybody have any advice?

    submitted by /u/MidwayMonster2223
    [link] [comments]

    Why you should be weary of "Game Design" channels.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2022 08:41 PM PST

    I'm solo-web-developer, I've developed the best playtesting tool for indie devs and nobody wants to use it

    Posted: 22 Feb 2022 11:24 PM PST

    Hello, I am a hobbyist indie game dev, but my speciality is web development and I am testing the waters with this new project I have been working on for half a year, an online platform to make it super easy for indie devs to get videos of people playing their game.

    It is a browser-based recording tool for testers to record their gameplays. Game devs just have to send an invitation link to their playtesters. They just have to click on it to start recording a video of their session. The video recording and comments will be uploaded automatically.

    One important thing is that game devs can create as many play sessions as they want and they can distribute the invitation links to different groups. Maybe they create a play session and send the invitation link to just one user because they want this person to do something special, or they can send the invitation to a larger audience and receive a bunch of video recordings.

    What makes it magic is that playtesters have not to install anything or even make any registration. They have to do almost zero configuration, and no technical skills are required. This makes the process super light and removes a lot of friction giving game devs access to a more diverse playtester audience.

    Right now I am not interested in monetising the platform, I am more interested in finding people that can help me to discover the advantages of this service. I am offering it for free to whoever is helping me in this stage. In the future I should charge some kind of fee (to cover maintenance and servers costs) but my intention is to make it very affordable for the indie dev community and with free plans and even a karma system that if you are testing games from other developers you can request playtesting sessions from the community as well.

    The platform has been already used for some developers and playtesters and they all find it super useful and super easy to use. Sadly I am having difficulties finding more people interested in using it. I am contacting developers and small studios one by one but either I don't receive an answer or they like the project but don't use the platform.

    I have no doubt that what I've built is useful and can help a lot to all game developers. But I am heading to a wall, and I am not sure if there is not much interest in getting video recordings of playtesters, or there is a lack of trust in my brand, or I am not contacting the appropriate people.

    Any suggestions are welcome. I am a bit down with this but I prefer useful and honest critique so don't hesitate to be straight with your opinion.

    UPDATE: It is incredible the quality of the feedback I have received from this community. There are many actionable points I have collected from your comments. I am learning a lot. I feel grateful for your help. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/d2clon
    [link] [comments]

    -What does a technical artist do in game dev? My interview with 30+ years game dev veteran (WoW / New World / Ironman)

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 10:01 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    Here is my second podcast episode:
    https://youtu.be/Tig_jiKX7ZI

    This conversation will be with a seasoned Technical Artist rather than a game designer.

    I picked this because a Technical Artist is one of the most important roles in the execution of high quality game genres such as MMORPGs and action games. However, it's a role that not really understood.

    Here is a little bit about the guest:

    Paul Forest is the current Pipeline Technical Director at Amazon Games with the latest release New World. He's a veteran technical artist and director, who has worked on games across consoles such as PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, and obviously PC.

    Notably, he has worked on World of Warcraft and has contributed from the expansion pack Wrath of Lich King all the way to Legion.

    Btw, this is the second episode of my podcast, where I ask former colleagues and industry friends to share their stories behind their journey into game design, development and how their work impacts the quality and experiences that players enjoy.

    I hope you check it out and thanks for your time.

    And any feedback is welcome.

    Thanks,
    -Alex

    submitted by /u/Xelnath
    [link] [comments]

    Raymarching Tutorial: Modeling & Shadows

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 08:20 AM PST

    For those in industry working for a company, do you still make games for yourself?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 07:44 AM PST

    Title. In the contract for my new job, I believe any "Invention" I make during my tenure belongs to my company, which I believe is any indie game small or large. I wanted to make smaller experimental games that were less systems focused and more "artsy", but think it might make more sense to just take up art or creative writing. Thoughts, experiences?

    submitted by /u/NakedBear42
    [link] [comments]

    A short talk about networking, replay mode, data analytics, event sourcing, GDPR. Maybe you would like to share your experience too?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 08:27 AM PST

    New to writing code in Unity? Here's the second video in my new Unity C# Basics series! Learn about Loops and what the heck are Arrays...in a Unity context!

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 06:01 AM PST

    How do you cope with releasing a failed game? How not to lose the desire to make games further?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2022 04:41 AM PST

    At this point, I've been developing my first game myself for a year and a half. All indications are that its launch will not be successful and most likely it will be played by a couple of dozen people at most.

    Somehow affect it I will not be able to (but if you think otherwise tell me what to do). I put a lot of work, a lot of time, a lot of moral force and I think failure might hit me hard.

    I really want to make games, I love it, but I don't just want to make them for myself. I want people to play them, to get all the things that people usually get from games. And of course I want to get paid for it, so I can focus only on development.

    So I would like to ask, have you had a similar experience and how did you deal with it?

    I'll leave a link to the game, just so you understand why I think it's hopeless to PR it.

    Edit:

    I did not expect that there would be so many commenters, it would be difficult to answer all in person, so I will say here:

    Thank you for your words of support, criticism, and suggestions. You have given me a lot of food for thought. For the most part, it's something that will really help me. Since I was already stumped.

    submitted by /u/lKribba
    [link] [comments]

    Does game development have professional researchers dedicated to innovating games?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 09:53 AM PST

    Hello, I'm currently working on my thesis and this question just popped up in my head, does game development also produce papers and hold conferences dedicated to innovating games? I know NLP does, Computer Vision too but what about Game Development?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Torons
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal Engine 5 is now available in Preview

    Posted: 22 Feb 2022 07:39 AM PST

    Does there exist a thing like draw distance probes? If so, do they have a more commonly-used name? Are there any other creative ways in which probes are used?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 05:48 AM PST

    Light probes exist in 3D games because it is computationally expensive to calculate the light at each and every single point in the world. Similarly, reflection probes are created so that reflections do not have to be calculated in real-time at every position in a scene or world.

    All of this made me wonder whether the concept of probes can be extended to draw distances. I mean, not every scene is equal: some scenes have a lot of objects and thus take more resources to render, while areas that are bleaker and more static can render quicker and better, so why are most games fixated on a single drawing distance? It's better to have longer distances where possible.

    TL;DR: Draw distance probes make draw distances more dynamic by changing the radius to that stored in the probe that is nearest to the in-game camera.

    submitted by /u/metapolymath98
    [link] [comments]

    GDScript Godot Signals In Depth Guide

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 01:04 AM PST

    Letters: Lovely Lines and Lonely Lives

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 11:14 AM PST

    Start your game development career

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 11:07 AM PST

    Game jam for college students - the 2022 UNC Collegiate Game Jam

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 10:55 AM PST

    Hey all!

    The UNC Game Development Club is hosting a game jam for any and all students currently enrolled in collegiate education!

    The 2022 UNC Collegiate Game Jam starts in a month! The jam will start March 26th and will last for 9 days. The jam is open to anyone currently enrolled in collegiate education.

    The jam will last for one full school week, bookended by two full weekends. This means that even if you're not sure you can fully commit to it, you still have two full weekends to work on a game. There will be an optional theme, revealed at the beginning of the jam on March 26th at 10:00 AM.

    Find more details + join our jam page on itch.io!

    You can find more details here: https://itch.io/jam/2022-unc-college-game-jam

    submitted by /u/DrDrub
    [link] [comments]

    Techland's Katarzyna Tarnacka-Polito and Maciej Jamrozik told 80 Level about the art direction and the technical side of Dying Light 2: Stay Human and explained how the team stayed motivated.

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 04:51 AM PST

    Short video I made on the importance of game analysis!

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 10:37 AM PST

    Learn all about the development of EA heavyweight Knockout Kings! Four of the games key developers reflect on creating the late '90s game and what it was like working with Muhammad Ali and other boxing greats! Loads of amazing development chat and fun anecdotes this way!

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 10:16 AM PST

    What networking library is best for a c# console app game?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 09:54 AM PST

    I want to make a reatime ascii game in a c# console app but im not sure what networking library would be best. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/BrotherBillBombadil
    [link] [comments]

    (GDC) "The Impossible Quest: Getting a Job in Games" - some good info here, not only for those looking for a job.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2022 05:21 PM PST

    How much harder is Unreals Networking solution vs Unity?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 09:45 AM PST

    I have some programming experience with C# and have some time spent using it and making small projects.

    I really want to make a more serious game and want to create a small scale multiplayer.

    The only thing is I am still a beginner/intermediate level programmer and at least from when I was trying to learn Unreal, it seemed very daunting to find resources that did assume I wasn't experienced in C++ already (for multiplayer games). Or it was extremely outdated.

    But on the other hand Unreal seems to simply be the better option for multiplayer 3D games. I am just torn on what to do.

    submitted by /u/Nimai_TV
    [link] [comments]

    New game publishing website and game store launcher?!

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 09:21 AM PST

    Hey everyone!

    To make a long story short- I'm a software developer by trade and a game developer by night, and as of recent I had to create a portfolio to find a new job. Like most projects, I went a bit overboard this one, and ended up creating a fully fledged game publishing site and game store launcher! But now I'm curious if any game devs here think this could become an actual product / there's a need for it in our industry? I'll add some highlights already implemented below and a few image links (don't judge too hard as of yet, I'm a shit designer), but if anyone here is actually interested in trying it out I'd be more than happy to send you the link / launcher to play around with! Cheers 🍻

    Publisher Portal Pics

    Launcher Pics

    Some highlights for players:

    • Fully customizable home and library page
    • Trade games with other players!
    • Categories, sub-categories, tags and more to keep your library clean
    • Customizable avatars with avatar store to trade in purchase points for new items
    • Offline support

    Some highlights for game devs:

    • Super streamlined product / game publishing portal
    • 15% royalty on products sold
    • 14 day payouts after product sold
    • Fair visibility algorithm in the store for your game
    • Fair prerequisites before player can review your game
    • Monthly bundle rev share- for every user who receives your game in the monthly bundle you receive a portion of the subscription fee.
    • Up to 100 access keys per game to allow players / testers / whoever to download your game for free
    submitted by /u/dixonormous23
    [link] [comments]

    How to execute a point and click game?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 12:28 AM PST

    As I am renewing a previously scrappeed project I was wondering how I should approach its execution. It's a point and click type of game inspired by Rusty Lake made in Unity. The thing is, I'm new into game development and coding (more into graphics) and have several different ideas, but don't know which one is the most efficient:

    1. Make all the backgrounds and objects in a single scene and use the cinemachine to switch between different cameras on the respective bg by decreasing or increasing the priority of the cameras. Problem: I don't know how to implement an inventory system that moves to the respective camera. The only tutorials I've found are using the UI and I got troubles understanding it

    2. Make all backgrounds and objects in different scenes, which will make the UI usage simpler I think, but it may be too much for a simple short game like mine. I don't know

    Please, let me know which one you think is the best variant, even if it's not from the listed above

    submitted by /u/Fatal_Fruit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment