• Breaking News

    Friday, February 19, 2021

    Feedback Friday #432 - New Functions

    Feedback Friday #432 - New Functions


    Feedback Friday #432 - New Functions

    Posted: 18 Feb 2021 08:20 PM PST

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #432

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Yea sex is cool and all, but have you ever gotten your large to do list extremely small?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 05:56 AM PST

    My list at the start of this project was literally HUGE. An insane amount of work, well today, when I look, all of a sudden I have 26 things done, and just a mere 6 left to do, 3 of which are in the work-and-progress category. Game dev may be hard as hell, but when I look at that list, and see what I have done, it makes it hard not to be proud of yourself

    EDIT: 26 may not sound alot, but its because of the way I sort things out. It can take weeks or months to even check on thing off

    submitted by /u/Gx40_Dev
    [link] [comments]

    A detailed look at the development of Shovel Knight and how the Kickstarter initially barely got funded, before blowing up almost overnight. The video also explores how the team ran out of money during development, despite their Kickstarter success.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 07:15 AM PST

    Localisation: Do you automatically miss the algorithm boat if you release your game on Steam only in English at the start ?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 07:34 AM PST

    Like, I understand that in an ideal world, I would already have 26 languages ready to go on Steam on release, but since my game is obviously a small indie game, how detrimental is it to simply start with English; gauge interest, and then release in other languages?

    Do you automatically miss the algorithm boat if you don't release in multiple languages at the start ?

    submitted by /u/Bobafettinspace
    [link] [comments]

    Josh Bycer on horror game design and lessons learned from Silent Hill 4: The Room

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 01:03 AM PST

    Unity, PlayCanvas or something else for a browser game? Trying to avoid painful development.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 06:33 AM PST

    Hello!

    I'm lately trying to develop a game, specifically a simple top-down 2D multiplayer game, which should run mainly in browsers, both for desktop and mobile devices (or an app, for mobile devices). I'm doing it to learn and have fun. I'm a seasoned web developer so I love JavaScript and its ecosystem, so I said... why not try a JavaScript game engine?

    <rant>

    I tried Phaser - pretty cool, except for the fact that it's a nightmare to develop a game and having to manually load assets and other trivial things which often editors do for you. Also, I hate its documentation - there are no true examples or use cases helping a beginner, thus making the learning curve steep, also because most things you find on the web are outdated (for Phaser 2, not v3, dating back to 2014-2016). Even if using TypeScript that's painful, because Phaser 3 only has (horrible) class-based documentation without any explanation. Also, it doesn't enforce coding standards and paradigms which make the code maintainable. Anyway, I did it: I made a simple game with basics but I'm not satisfied at all and so I decided to abandon Phaser and look for better alternatives even in other languages.

    </rant>

    I'm there to ask if you know better alternatives which can solve my problems written above. I thought about Unity: it can render in WebGL, so browsers are covered, and it has an editor which simplifies the entire job of assets loading, etc. It's well documented, well known and most game developers start there. I know that Unity WebGL doesn't work on phones, which sucks, but it can even create Android (and iOS?) ports.I also know PlayCanvas, which can only create browser games and that would be okay too, but seems unused and not so popular.

    So I have some questions.

    1. Is Unity worth investing for only 2D game development? Y'know, the engine name is... Unity 3D. But I need it only for 2D purposes. May it be overkill? Think of my game a bit like a .io game (even if that's not what I mean to do). Is PlayCanvas better at handling 2D than Unity? It seems that it lacks 2D examples;
    2. Is Unity WebGL still performance-hungry on desktop browsers in 2021? Can anyone who tried speak about it? Maybe in production? I heard that PlayCanvas works fine even on medium-range mobile devices.
    3. Can Unity export both for WebGL and for Android/iOS without too much hassle? What's the performance on Android/iOS?
    4. How does networking work on Unity? Can you create your own server, with any kind of technology, or should you use specific technologies for Unity? I was thinking of creating a WebSocket server in another language to learn it and if Unity ties me to a single technology... well, it sucks. The proper question is: can I use a custom-made WebSocket server to make a Unity game multiplayer like I would in PlayCanvas or in Phaser?
    5. Does PlayCanvas have enough resources to learn using it to be as beginner-friendly as Unity? Why is it worth using it over Unity?
    6. What else would you suggest, except for Unity and PlayCanvas? Is there a common technology that I don't know for this kind of game development?

    Thanks in advance and sorry for this really, really long post. I'm just a frustrated beginner. I know, the part about Phaser was useless, but I had to rant :)

    submitted by /u/DanielVip3
    [link] [comments]

    Dont fall for the advertisement to luring game devs to Germany

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 09:21 AM PST

    Please, i urge you, as an Indie/Solo or Midcore game dev, do not fall for the advertisment of Germanys federal game dev funds. I saw the advertisement recently, and my blood boiled within 1 second.

    You probably saw the banner on gamasutra or whatnot, "5 reasons to game dev in Germany".

    Dont. Just dont. If you do, do not apply for the funds, they will ruin you.

    I give you 12 quick reasons, one big below, to not fall for their PR:

    1. Germany has almost the highest taxes on the planet.
    2. Germany has almost the highest rents on the planet. 30sqm flat = 900Euro easy. More like 1200EUR. Everything is super expensive, but food.
    3. Because of high rent, you must pay your employees decent. They wont move to countryside. You see where this is going....
    4. Laws. I swear to god, the most strictest laws come from Germany. We have by far the most law suits on the planet, look it up. I wish i was joking, and it were the USA.
    5. The internet is one of the worst. 3rd world countries have better internet than Germany.
    6. Internet and phone bills are among the highest, like USA. Same deal or worse.
    7. The government tries to fuck you over wherever possible. They charge for everything like registering a company, company fees annually (IHK, you cant even charge against it), TV bills mandatory even if you dont own a TV, both for office and your home....
    8. Your game has to be paid in advance by yourself, the funds are not counted in your budget.
    9. The funds do not allow "normal" funding of your game, like publisher contracts, or crowdfunding also not possible - only if you have the cash at hand, they require a balance...
    10. The form is "digital" yes, but it is dated from the year 1995. It is THIS bad.
    11. You need a lawyer in Germany, for basic things like the GDPR/DSGVO if you plan on hosting and offering your game in Germany, because you collect and work on user data
    12. Germany is very technophob. I mean, not only politicians (i swear to god, this alone is worth several outrages how uneducated and stupid they are), you wont see digital infrastructure at ALL. Recent events with covid showed, that Germany ranks place 27 in digital schooling, from 27 ranks.... yes, last. No, i do not joke.

    And now, finally, if you shrugg and say "meh, sounds legit", i give you the killer argument to not apply (it brought my company near bankruptcy, thanks BMVI. NOT):

    If you apply, the application takes MONTHS to be worked at, and most delicate part about that: you are, by law and under threat of six months prisontime, forbidden to work on a single line of code of your project, while you wait for approval.

    Yes, you read right: You apply, have to wait for months, have to pay rent, employees, software licenses, but are forbidden by law (subsidy fraud prevention) to work on your project. Or you go to jail.

    So if you have _very_ deep pockets, go ahead. But read their conditions VERY carefully before even thinking of applying.

    Else, please make a huge detour around Germany. Take my advice. I say this as a German. And it tears me apart.

    submitted by /u/Tremortotem
    [link] [comments]

    Tower Defense Economy, where to start ?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 11:05 AM PST

    Hi.

    I did not saw a lot of threads / post about that particular topic. We are making a TD right now and we are having some issues.

    There is a, pretty old by internet standards, article on gamasutra (This one https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AlexandraSidorina/20130605/193108/Balance_in_tdgames.php) about what we're lookign for, but we are not really into math. Which is problematic.

    We do not want to use arbitrary value and hope the whole system will work and stay fresh and fun for 100+ levels. We want to have a real control of what we're doing and be able to tell WHY this tower cost that much, WHY the player earn 300 gold in mission 2, WHY the player starts each mission with 200 gold, etc...

    We found this thread : https://www.kevin-agwaze.com/balancing-equipment-for-math-hating-game-designers-archive/ which is a huge help, even if I'm not sure to understand everything and I'll have to make some practicie of it before anything...

    BUT, at the moment, I'll talk for myself, I'm pretty overwhelmed. I do not know where to start. I'm lacking some confidence for some personnal reasons and I'm really trying my best to give the best system possible for my team and I feel I'm losing control pretty fast since it seems that you HAVE to be at ease with math.

    I know there's no magic formula or probably not a "Better way to do it" or anything. I'm just looking for tips and a some help to manage things step by step. Should I start by setting how much gold you earn by level ? Calculate the min / max amount of gold needed to win each level ? Then how much gold you have a start of each level, then adjust gold per enemy ?

    A lot of questions, I know. Every bit of help is welcome. Or even if YOU have worked on a tower defense, tell me how you managed to do it. It'd be a huge help.

    Thank you for reading, good luck for your projects. :)

    submitted by /u/EdnocGopex
    [link] [comments]

    Today was a good day

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 12:54 AM PST

    Some days are better than others... Some are much worse. But today was a good day... This isn't a brag or tease, just a quiet word to all those other solo game devs out there, keep the faith through the darkness, brighter days do come

    submitted by /u/TIDMADT
    [link] [comments]

    Alternatives to the FTL-style sector lines?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 06:17 AM PST

    I'm working on a mobile game where you traverse (somehow) between fights, shops and other random events. Similar to FTL and a lot of other games.

    However I want something different for the mmap phase. It is a fantasy party-builder game, so just straight lines connecting points feels out of place.

    For example, here is how FTL does it.

    Here is another example with Rogue Adventure

    And finally here is one for Buriedbornes.

    As you can see they are all the same concept executed in different ways.

    I am currently planning to use a map that is more open with the nodes being cities/villages/towns and random encounters along the way. This part of development is only in the planning phase, and I'd like to know what other systems you guys have seen or used that might be interesting.

    Oh and the theme is high fantasy if it matters.

    TIA for any guidance!

    submitted by /u/crybllrd
    [link] [comments]

    Elderborn - What makes it's first person combat so uniquely satisfying? Stylistically and Technically

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 06:10 AM PST

    What does the first person melee action game Elderborn do so differently from other first person melee systems? The stylistic aspects are pretty easy to analyze just by watching gameplay, it is fast, fluid, dynamic, well animated, uses a lot of effects. But technically, does anyone know if this is a raycast system, a collider system, etc. Can anyone give insight into the actual implementation that makes Elderborn's combat so good?

    submitted by /u/wannabedev5678
    [link] [comments]

    We explain the functioning of the camera in Birding Simulator

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 07:32 AM PST

    Looking for 2D pixel art asset of a woman w/dark hair & glasses that I found a while back.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 05:28 AM PST

    Hey guys! I recently got the idea to make a small game for my fiancés Bday this summer starring her and our cat. Before I had the idea I was browsing through assets online and saw one of a woman with dark hair and glasses (much like my fiance) dressed in standard modern day clothes that I just scrolled past. It was pixel art, and I'm almost certain it was for a sidescroller. And of course now that I want to find it, it seems to have disappeared. don't remember anything else about it but if I saw it I would instantly recognize it. I swear I've put in 15-20 hours over the past month and a half trying to find it. I even tried scouring my browsing history on my phone and pc but haven't found it. If someone could point me toward anything that sounds similar I would be eternally grateful! I don't care if it's free or paid. I'll gladly shell out some money for it. Thank you for even taking the time to click and read this! <3

    submitted by /u/Trevor_trev_dev
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for art/design resources to aid in isometric level/environment/character design?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 08:57 AM PST

    Hi! I'm at college (UK) currently studying Video Game Art in the second year, and we've got to spend most of this year designing a game from preproduction through concept art, to creating a 3D animation and stuff, I've got my concept and USP and all that down, but I'm trying to design the environments at the minute and struggling (I haven't even started on the main character too, that is gonna kill me, I hate character design haha), since I picked an isometric perspective but there seems to be almost no resources that I can find that help?

    In particular, I'm designing an outdoor environment at the minute, and as it's just a liminal space, I want it to be standalone rather than connected to other areas, but I can't figure out how to draw the transitionary "gateway", I guess, between this area and the next? I've got a couple of ideas, but some actual games design resources would be great if anyone knows of anything? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/EdgyLikeACircle
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for games, using machine learning.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 06:08 AM PST

    Hello everyone, fellow developers. A few days ago I released a Twitter bot that generates an idea for a game (or description of one) every day. You can follow it here: https://twitter.com/OneGameIdeaADa1

    To do this, it collects game descriptions from Steam (currently about 50k) and using an LSTM-based RNN built in Keras / Tensorflow, generates a title and description.

    I hope you enjoy it :)

    submitted by /u/NephastoGames
    [link] [comments]

    Racing and sport games in th indie gamedev scene

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 07:54 AM PST

    Are racing and sport games dead? In the indie gamedev scene, I see tons of new plattformers every day. Also all sorts of puzzle game are a big thing too, and maybe RPGs. From time to time you see some strategy or city builder games, or even a small FPS.

    But there are very few racing games, and nearly zero sport games. Why are they so unpopular for indie developers?

    Or did I just not find them?

    submitted by /u/Majadroid
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a game feel alive?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 07:32 AM PST

    The title essentially. What are the different methods or tactics to make a mobile game feel responsive, interactive or alive??

    submitted by /u/Verysexy1532
    [link] [comments]

    Game Engine Coding Livestream Part 77 - GUI (Buttons) Part 8

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 11:01 AM PST

    Here are some neat tricks for using Tweens & AnimationPlayers in Godot!

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 10:57 AM PST

    Where can I find communities for a an Angry Bird Puzzle type game?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 10:54 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    We have finished the prototyping phase of our game, and we are about to begin the alpha phase of development. We are looking for communities that can help us with feedback and to create a fan base for the game before release.

    A screenshot from a level:

    https://imgur.com/Ls671z2

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/MhmdSubhi
    [link] [comments]

    How to implement a very simple AI for a board game? (game already working for 2 players)

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 02:54 AM PST

    Hi,

    I am finishing a game on unity, and early on I stopped making the AI computer player and focused on 2 players with online.

    Now, that it's done, I feel I need a simple AI player even if it's just for a tutorial game or practice.

    Basically the game is composed of:

    • cities in a map (connected nodes)
    • tokens the player can place in a first phase in order to boost later actions. Tokens are put in the cities.
    • each player has cards, drawn each turn
    • they drop these cards in the various cities using resources (magic)

    Basically that's it.

    The idea is to control most cities, or 2 specific main cities, and win a lot of magic (by playing specific cards in cities)

    How do I create an AI for that?

    My beginner idea would be to do just a random check after random check, and choose a valid action.

    But that would be so... Random and stupid.

    Is there a simple beginner concept I could use in order to improve that?

    Give priority or weight to actions? But how? So far an action is just a method like "add token to this city"... I don't have any structure that "lists" these methods?

    Thx

    submitted by /u/monobehaviorclass
    [link] [comments]

    Tutorial - Controlling Unity from external WPF application

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 10:14 AM PST

    Platform Holder Guidelines For Mature Content

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 10:09 AM PST

    Hello, I am writing a visual novel and I'd like to eventually get it ported to consoles.

    The story has some dark themes implied like depression, suicide and parental neglect.

    Nothing is shown or described, just implied.

    Is there any site I can see the guidelines to be accepted in the console stores?

    submitted by /u/losdreamer50
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment