• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 21, 2021

    Are browser games still cool?

    Are browser games still cool?


    Are browser games still cool?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 05:40 AM PST

    I'm thinking about making a browser game similar to the mafiacreator kind of games. Would you play such a game? If so, what features would you want?

    submitted by /u/Lennen_Glowpride
    [link] [comments]

    I've decided to learn game art, design, and development from scratch and document the process

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 12:36 PM PST

    I'm 32 years old, I'm a Twitch streamer and a life-long gamer. I've decided I'm finally going to do something I've wanted to do my entire life - become an indie game designer and developer. I'm going to be documenting the entire process via daily and weekly logs, and Twitch streaming the projects I'm working on 4 days a week. I've created a little landing page to keep everything together at http://gamedevjourney.carrd.co.

    I've really been into pixel art games so I'm going to start with making some of those. I'm starting out with learning pixel art with Piskelapp and game dev with Construct 3. After I get a few really simple games made I'm probably going to switch to learning Aseprite/Pyxel Edit for game art and Unity for my game engine. I'm pretty excited about embarking on this journey and I've love to make some friends along the way!

    submitted by /u/saintwarhead
    [link] [comments]

    Smart and Simple Landscape Auto-Material in UE4

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:55 PM PST

    What are the most unique mechanics you saw recently?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 05:50 AM PST

    Basically I'm looking for games with unique game mechanics. Quick Google search yields mostly games with specific controllers like microphone, light sensors or wii remote. But what I'm looking for is games like Portal, Superliminal, Antichamber or SuperHot, games build around its' unique core.

    submitted by /u/JYossari4n
    [link] [comments]

    Honours Degree Project Questionnaire

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 05:04 AM PST

    I'm currently in my final year of university in game development in which i have to create a full project for the two terms. I'm writing my dissertation on the "impact of the game audio and level design typologies on player actions in relation to extreme sports games" i was wondering if you would be able to quickly fill out this questionnaire of 8 basic questions on the subject.

    I'd really appreicate it if anyone does it as only four of my class has done it out of like 30.

    The game I'm working on is a tony hawk like game but snowboarding essentially.

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Mr6PKR04oQqUomVx3R_60dG_Pfx5YZuAsFvlJSlUnUg

    submitted by /u/devtobe2934
    [link] [comments]

    Does Requiring A Controller For My Game Alienate PC Gamers?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 07:53 PM PST

    I believe that my game design will play much better with a controller, compared to a mouse and keyboard. While I could go out of my way to make the game KBM friendly, I am confident this would hurt the gameplay.

    Players will likely be able to rebind keys to work on KBM, but I wouldn't design the game with KBM in mind, which matters a lot for gameplay. So, while not technically required, it will be highly recommended.

    Does requiring a controller/gamepad to play my game alienate PC gamers? If you're a PC gamer would you be willing to play a game that requires a controller to be proficient?

    submitted by /u/Akinero
    [link] [comments]

    my goal starting today

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 08:05 AM PST

    I'm currently living with my roommate working on my degree. so im kinda busy whole day but i can give 2 hours a day on game development. my goal is to create a game that has a beautiful story and i am gonna give it everything i have. hope everything will work out for me.

    submitted by /u/tnknwrld
    [link] [comments]

    I need help understanding ECS.

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 08:35 AM PST

    How are specific behaviors implemented in ECS?

    Say that you have a transform component like this:

    typedef struct { float x; float y; } TransformComponent; 

    And then a movement component like this:

    typedef struct { float deltaX; float deltaY } 

    Here's the pseudo for movement system:

    void movement_system(someentity) { // this could perhaps be a switch instead... if (entity is a enemy) // move 10 units towards player..... if (entity is player) if (keypress == w) if (is_running) // set player movement component to something else // set player movement component to something slower } 

    Am I thinking of this the right way?

    Would it be best to keep an enum with the entity to know what type of entity is and do different things in different systems depending on what it is, or should there be a player component that dictates if it should do one thing or the other in the movement update function?

    submitted by /u/JacobG5
    [link] [comments]

    In-depth article: Blightbound's approach to individual storytelling in a coop game

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 06:21 AM PST

    Angle between player and target in degrees (positive and negative)? Help!!!

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:48 AM PST

    I'm making a car racing game, and for the opponents I want a behaviour so that they drive from checkpoint to checkpoint. So I'm interested in the angle between the forward vector and the vector of the next checkpoint. Easy I thought... dot product between forward vector and vector to checkpoint..done.

    Sadly no. Because the angle is always positive. I have no idea if the npc opponent needs to steer left or right.

    Can someone point me in the right direction?

    submitted by /u/luebke0815
    [link] [comments]

    How proper lighting can make a 2D scene look like 3D #MadeWithUnity

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 04:23 AM PST

    I've been making a Cricket team management text-based sim in Python as a first project...

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 12:33 AM PST

    ... and I just wanted to post somewhere about it.

    I needed to pick up Python, and with a background (10/15 years ago..) in game dev I thought I would choose this as a first project to get comfortable with syntax, working with databases, etc. It currently runs entirely in Terminal, but my next step is to deploy a web based version with login system for people to manage their own teams -- although I need some practice with GUIs so may go that way first...

    It's not going to change the world, but I'm super happy with my progress this week.

    Choices

    Team generation, Individual and bulk random-match simming, league fixtures simming, player career averages

    Over-by-over

    Each ball is generated individually, based on batsman and bowler skills, pitch...

    End of Innings Scorecard

    Player skill levelling based on match experience.

    End of Season League Tables

    Promotion and relegation between leagues. Straight up simming the 112 match league fixtures takes my laptop 18.3 seconds currently.

    Player Career Averages

    I've used PeeWee for ORM, a random name generator, itertools... not much else yet. Very happy with the match engine, leveling, and general progress with Python after 2 weeks or so.

    submitted by /u/TyrellHop
    [link] [comments]

    Hub for physics engine development?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 10:51 AM PST

    Hey all,

    A few years ago, gamedev.net used to be the best place to ask physics questions (Erin Catto, Randy Gaul, Dirk Gregorious all frequented the forum regularly). Lately its been practically impossible to discuss anything related to physics (esp. collision resolution techniques) because all the people that knew a lot about it are gone and the forum is barely populated.

    What's the best place right now to figure out and discuss stuff like sequential impulses, contact generation, etc.? Is this subreddit appropriate? I've searched similar topics here but it looks like they don't get discussed

    submitted by /u/Alittletangerine
    [link] [comments]

    Destructible character models in real time?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 04:49 AM PST

    Not sure whether or not these are real time or not, but could physics like this be implemented into a game, with the "beads" underneath a characters skin and clothing. Then, if it were tweaked could this be used for almost realistic damage to characters etc? Hope I'm making sense sorry if I sound stupid haha.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Itp5TyTO2Mc

    submitted by /u/Nutmegged69
    [link] [comments]

    Implemented a new cloud layer shader with this dynamic vertical fog instead of my old low-poly medium performance cloud layer

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:46 PM PST

    Implemented a new cloud layer shader with this dynamic vertical fog instead of my old low-poly medium performance cloud layer

    Implemented a new cloud layer shader with this dynamic vertical fog. My old low-poly cloud based on 1.5k poly shape and displaced vertices has some performance issues on low powered devices running at about 45FPS and now I'm back to 72 FPS

    Vertical Fog Unity Shader Graph

    The main part is based on the Scene Depth node explained in this article by @Cyanilux with added Gradient Noise node and Power + Speed exposed parameters to make the fog alive:

    Shader Graph - Vertical Fog + Time-based noise

    submitted by /u/dreamteammobile
    [link] [comments]

    some ideas of what laptop to buy?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 09:51 AM PST

    I want to start game development and I kinda need a laptop... I need a good but cheap one because I'm at high-school and I don't have much money

    submitted by /u/Hapyx1
    [link] [comments]

    How do games ensure the frames generated are spread evenly across time?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 05:54 AM PST

    Sorry if this is a stupid question - I code but I'm not really into game dev.
    How do games typically ensure that if the player is getting 60 FPS, those 60 frames are spread across 1/60 second (or ~17 ms) intervals? Is it not possible that it took 10 ms each to generate the first two frames and 30 ms to generate the third?

    How are these discrepancies avoided? If they are not, how is it made sure they don't affect gameplay experience?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Relevant-Bridge
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have good tutorials or ideas about making better enemy ai?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 09:02 AM PST

    I've been working on a small 2D plat-former mostly for fun, but I've noticed that the different enemies in my game have been lackluster at best.

    The only enemy I feel somewhat confident in is one similar to a slime which will constantly bounce in the direction of the player when he gets close. The problem with him in particular is that when he hits the ground, I'd like for him to wait a for a second before jumping again, any idea how to do that?

    My other enemies I could honestly just scrap completely because they're really boring. One that just wanders side to side and another that will charge at the player real quick if you get close, but if your not close then it'll stay still.

    I'm working in Unity C# and any advice or suggested tutorials would be greatly appreciated! I'm not super familiar with C# (or Unity for that matter) so keep that in mind in any help you give me.

    submitted by /u/Snarpkingguy
    [link] [comments]

    Hello!

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:44 AM PST

    I am Hamid From Iran! and I am an indie game developer! Nice to be Here!

    submitted by /u/HMoshtagh
    [link] [comments]

    What makes a good demo ?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 08:10 AM PST

    Hey devs, I'm planning to give a small demo of a game I'm currently working on. So how many levels should be there and what and what not should be included in it so that it actually creates a good demo ? Any advice will be really helpful.

    submitted by /u/Xatri007_games
    [link] [comments]

    Free Textures Pack: Tech

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 11:50 AM PST

    How do I turn a dream into a reality and start with Coding for Game Development

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 11:41 AM PST

    I've had this idea in my head for a while now of a game I dreamed of mine, specifically the lore and the general idea of the game.

    I've been thinking for a long time of adding to the lore and spent odd amounts of time daydreaming about it.Im young, going to do my SAT and looking to go to a college, and most likely learn coding.

    Before that though, I'd love to make this as a side project or hobby.I want to see if I enjoy coding or just get a headscarf.

    I don't know if the genre of the game would matter, but mostly an RPG with roguelike elements

    submitted by /u/ControlOnly
    [link] [comments]

    Should i use C for game development?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 11:39 AM PST

    So i was making some games in Unity and i got knowledge in C# later i learned C programming which is quite interesting for me.So i wanted to ask you should i use and actually how can i make games in C and which libaries should i use?

    submitted by /u/codqq
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment